Team-BHP > Introduce yourself

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2021, 20:45   #1
BHPian

Hello from the other side

Hailing from the Nilgiris, I am an admirer of cars and old-school Jeeps. Gentle and courteous, yet strong in thoughts and beliefs. The forests and hills are ardent buddies for this music enthusiast. Driven by unconditional love for cars, I am a fervently devoted automobile engineer.

To begin, I'd want to express my gratitude to the Moderators for immediately approving my account.

It's a privilege to be a member of this growing community. We are automotive aficionados. We drive them day in day out, obsessing about their looks and performance, and drooling over the classics and latest models.

My name is Fateh Mohammed Salim. I am 22 years old. After completing my twelve years of schooling in Ooty, I pursued a Degree in B.tech Automobile Engineering from SRM University, Chennai. I'm currently interning at Continental AG, Bangalore.

The love of cars has been in our family right from the distinct beginning. Sitting snugly at home is a variety of cars including a Jeep CJ5 1968, Oldsmobile Touring Sedan 4 door 1938, Premier Padmini, Scorpio slx 4wd, Ford Figo S and a modest Maruti 800.

I’d merely like to take a trip down memory lane and share thoughts on the first car I got my hands on. It was the year 2012, a preowned 2002 Fiat Palio 1.2 it was, and boy oh boy did she steal my heart. I will let the photos do the talking.

Hello from the other side-img20190102153951.jpg

Black and white photos can induce a mood – from nostalgia to joy to yearning and I undoubtedly feel that they somehow convey emotion in a way that colour images simply can't.

Everything you need, and nothing you don’t. A simpler time. A round steering wheel, veglia borletti dials made you feel you were driving a Ferrari, a dashboard console angled just so to the driver.
Made in Italy badgings all over. In fact, the cigarette lighter had one too.

Hello from the other side-img20210525wa002701.jpeg

Ask any Ooty resident about their first driving experience, and the Old Pykara road would surely come up. It was such a delight to drive past the golf course back then.

Because of the extreme weather conditions back home and the fact that fog lamps were not included as standard equipment, a set of fog lamps had to be added. She had a decent set Apollo Acelere 185/65 R13 tyres as well.

Hello from the other side-img_20170310_14311801.jpeg

If you’re waiting to hear about the fiat’s astounding horsepower and torque figures, you can stop holding your breath. It’s not coming.

Hello from the other side-img_20170308_10225501.jpeg

Ev'ry time I see your face, It reminds me of the places we used to go. But all I got is a photograph, and I realize you're not coming back anymore.

Sadly, after a seven-year relationship, we had to sell the car due to service hassles.

Regardless, the next vehicle on the list was another Fiat. It was, however, a 1.3 Multijet Palio Stile this time. In terms of design, robustness, and build quality, it wasn't quite as impressive as the first. We put on a bigger set of 195/55/15 wheels and that was the end of it.

Hello from the other side-palio-bhp.jpg

I’m currently Driving a Ford Figo S.

Developed by Ford Brazil, It has a powerful and eager TDCi engine and a slick-shifting gearbox. It strikes the perfect balance between practicality and performance. The Ford Figo S has its unique suspension modifications to increase handling. The front end incorporates a heftier anti-roll bar, which translates in a faster turn-in and good mechanical grip. The coil springs have been re-engineered to make the car more kittenish.

Hello from the other side-bhp.jpg

Moving on, I'd want to demonstrate some really useful work I did back in college. I was a member of Team Infieon Supermileage , which takes part in the Shell Eco-marathon competition. It is one of the world's most prestigious student engineering competitions, in which contestants design and build automobiles with the maximum potential fuel efficiency. I've been fortunate enough to be a part of it, lead it and also drive for it.
1. Shell Eco-Marathon Asia (Singapore) 2018 – Successfully passed a rigorous round of Technical and Safety Inspections.
2. Shell Eco-Marathon India (Chennai) 2018 – Registered a mileage of 121.4kmpl of gasoline.
3. Shell Eco-Marathon India (Bangalore) 2019 - Registered a mileage of 148.2kmpl of gasoline and also won a cash prize of 2.5 lakhs for our coordinated efforts in showcasing the range of skills that go into each Shell Eco-marathon project and recognize the outstanding achievements of the teams off the track.

Below are a few photos of my time in Infieon Supermileage.

Hello from the other side-picsart_060303.29.47.jpg

Hello from the other side-collage-tbhp.png

The first lockdown signalled the beginning of the end of college. This was a time of adjustment and tension as I settled into a new schedule that I would have to stick to for the foreseeable future. But then Dad got a pleasant surprise. He, too, is a car fanatic. He purchased a beat-up Mahindra Marshal for us to work on. It wasn't in the best of shape. I had the chance to learn a few tinkering and painting techniques from him. We also worked on tuning a few rudimentary engine and steering components. We worked on it throughout the duration of the lockdown, and it was well worth it. I can confidently state that I have gained a great deal of knowledge.

Hello from the other side-final-marshal.jpg

Moving on, my bucket list is a road trip to the South of France. The wine regions, picturesque beaches, and homespun countryside. No surprise why it’s one of the most sought after tourist destinations in the world. It's difficult not to fall in love with the French Riviera.

Cars I would love to have in my garage one day: Škoda Octavia RS 245, Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, Mini Cooper (the older the better), Ford Mustang GT, Porsche 911 GT3 and the list goes on.

But I must realize that a dream without a plan is just that: a dream. To make my aspirations a reality, I'll have to put in a lot of effort.

Hello from the other side-20200919_152600.jpg

We often overlook the little things in life and keep chasing the bigger things believing they will give us happiness. Sometimes it's the little things like this fiat elegant 1100 that make us smile later in life.

Hello from the other side-20200617_15413901.jpeg

In a world of constant change and streaming technology, I find solace in the forest where a tree remains a tree. - Angie Weiland-Crosby

During these uncertain and unprecedented times, I hope this post finds you healthy and safe.

Last edited by aah78 : 4th June 2021 at 22:27. Reason: Spacing.
Fateh Salim is offline   (91) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 18:13   #2
AZT
BHPian

Re: Hello from the other side

Welcome to the forum. You write really well, look forward to reading more of your long posts.
AZT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 18:18   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Welcome Fateh to teambhp. Happy to read about you. Have a gala time here.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 19:43   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

A very warm welcome to the forum @Fateh Salim. Lovely introduction and photos - Fiat Palio used to be a cult car on this forum :-) Look forward to read more such well written posts from you.
androdev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 20:52   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fateh Salim View Post
It was the year 2012, a preowned 2002 Fiat Palio 1.2 it was, and boy oh boy did she steal my heart. I will let the photos do the talking.
Welcome to team-bhp! Nice introduction and nice photos!

When I returned to India in 2002, my first car in India was exactly the same as what you had - a 2002 Fiat Palio 1.2 in the same Silver color! Your opening photo (of the Palio interiors) rekindled several sweet memories for me with my Palio. BTW that is a lovely photo! Thanks for that.

Looking forward to seeing your posts on the forum.
Dr.AD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 22:53   #6
BHPian

Brilliant intro, mate! Makes me want to reconsider switching to Mechanical Engineering from CS 😫. Hope you have a wonderful stay here at T-BHP!
TheHelix0202 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 00:06   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Delightful post and a warm welcome to you Fateh. Will look forward to your posts from hereon, see you around,

Regards.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 14:41   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Delightful post and a warm welcome to you Fateh. Will look forward to your posts from hereon, see you around
Thank you very much. I'm excited to share some of my Jeep adventures too.

Quote:
Brilliant intro, mate! Makes me want to reconsider switching to Mechanical Engineering from CS 😫. Hope you have a wonderful stay here at T-BHP!
Thank you so much. With the amount of time you've spent on this site. I'm sure you're a better mechanical engineer than I am.

Quote:
When I returned to India in 2002, my first car in India was exactly the same as what you had - a 2002 Fiat Palio 1.2 in the same Silver color! Your opening photo (of the Palio interiors) rekindled several sweet memories for me with my Palio. BTW that is a lovely photo! Thanks for that.
Thank you very much. I'm glad you enjoyed the images. I'm sure you had a good time with the car, despite its persistent issues.

Quote:
A very warm welcome to the forum @Fateh Salim. Lovely introduction and photos - Fiat Palio used to be a cult car on this forum :-) Look forward to read more such well written posts from you.
Thank you very much. Indeed, if it could steal the heart of a 14-year-old back then, imagine what it did to you guys.

Quote:
Welcome to the forum. You write really well, look forward to reading more of your long posts.
Thank you very much. I'm excited to share some of my Jeep adventures too.

Quote:
Welcome Fateh to teambhp. Happy to read about you. Have a gala time here.
Thank you. I'm already enjoying this wonderful place.
Old 6th June 2021, 16:00   #9
BHPian

I must say, the collection of your cars and the experience you have with working on them is just as amazing, as the way you have expressed your love for your previous cars ! Looking forward to see more from you ! Take care of yourself in these hard times !
Siddy_1998 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 16:47   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddy_1998 View Post
I must say, the collection of your cars and the experience you have with working on them is just as amazing, as the way you have expressed your love for your previous cars ! Looking forward to see more from you ! Take care of yourself in these hard times !
As a rookie, I'm not sure where to begin writing next. also the fact that each post belongs to a different category. I'll hang out for a while longer before making a post. You likewise take care of yourself. I believe the pandemic has gotten its fill.
Fateh Salim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 19:45   #11
BHPian

You have a great taste in cars. The Palio and always been a favorite! Looking forward to more posts and threads from you!
speedfreak77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 20:39   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak77 View Post
You have a great taste in cars. The Palio and always been a favorite! Looking forward to more posts and threads from you!
Thank you, Ganga; I was taken aback by the response to my introduction . Will certainly continue to write as soon as possible.
Old 7th June 2021, 00:45   #13
BHPian

A heck of an intro. Welcome to the forum, Fateh. I wish you a great time here and I hoping amazing stuff from you on not just vehicles but also to reveal more secrets of Nilgiris.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 7th June 2021 at 00:46.
Thermodynamics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 06:31   #14
BHPian

Dear Fateh. Welcome.
Rather than the other, I believe you will unleash the true power of the Dark side.
knrn is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 10:59   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post
A heck of an intro. Welcome to the forum, Fateh. I wish you a great time here and I hoping amazing stuff from you on not just vehicles but also to reveal more secrets of Nilgiris.
Thank you very much. Yes, there is a lot to talk about when it comes to the Nilgiris. In a way, I'm fortunate to have the proper mixture of a Jeep and a magnificent landscape. Will be posting detailed write-ups soon.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed