Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2021, 21:07   #1

Hello from an Automotive artist

Hello Everyone,

I am KSPatil, an automotive artist by profession (Computer-Generated Imagery to be precise). I have been following Team-BHP for more than a decade and finally I am part of this vibrant and versatile community. My main intention is to learn from this forum and share my little knowledge and experiences with the forum members.

Something about my tryst with car, it was on a sticker that I got free with a bubblegum that I saw this outlandish car with large strakes on the side. Yes, it was the Ferrari Testarossa and I was an instant fan of the Italian marque and cars in general. I started collecting magazines, posters and stickers of any car I could lay my hand on. My father who was a very good artist encouraged me to sketch and paint, and cars was all that I sketched. This was partly the reason I turned to 3D modeling, I just wanted to make cars.

Another aspect that influenced my automotive journey was the Premier Automobile Ltd. factory in Kurla. I lived near this factory and passed through the colony at least twice a day while going to and coming from school. Almost every day I saw endless rows of Padminis, sometimes I even watched them being loaded into the huge transport trucks. As time went by Padminis were replaced by the Fiat Uno, I vividly remember FIRE written on the side of the Uno. Also got to see the initial batch of the Peugeot 309 and an Alfa Romeo, I think it was the 166.

I regularly watch Formula 1 since 2000, I like listening to heavy metal, collecting scale models and photography but I enjoy being in nature the most. I have a great group of friends and we have been for tiger safaris in Central and Northern India, birding in Gujarat, Rajasthan and Maharashtra and also some treks around Mumbai. I will post some travelogues as soon as I can.

I became a fulltime 3d artist in 2017 leaving my earlier job in a KPO. For sometime I made 3D furniture, interiors and FMCG products. For the past 2 years I only create automobiles and automobile parts. I'd love to create Indian vehicles of the past and present, maybe even airplanes and trains.

There is so much to write, however, for an introduction I think this should be enough, I am sharing this render of the last car I was making for the last 2 months.

Hello from an Automotive artist-207_blue_2.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 17th June 2021 at 23:22. Reason: Picture inserted in-line.
KSPatil is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 22:27   #2
BHPian

Re: Hello from an Automotive artist

Sir, welcome to the family. I'm looking forward to seeing more interesting content from you. I can't believe how accurate your render model looks. I've also developed a strong interest in 3D modelling, particularly when it comes to surface modelling. For my super mileage prototype, I also created an aerodynamic shell back in college(few photos are posted on my introduction page). I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself here. Cheers!
Fateh Salim is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 19:47   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Welcome aboard man! Clearly working where your passion is, huh?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSPatil View Post
Another aspect that influenced my automotive journey was the Premier Automobile Ltd. factory in Kurla. I lived near this factory and passed through the colony at least twice a day while going to and coming from school. Almost every day I saw endless rows of Padminis, sometimes I even watched them being loaded into the huge transport trucks. As time went by Padminis were replaced by the Fiat Uno, I vividly remember FIRE written on the side of the Uno. Also got to see the initial batch of the Peugeot 309 and an Alfa Romeo, I think it was the 166.
Those were the days. You will want to read this thread on Premier Auto (The Premier Automobiles Ltd - The Remembrances Thread).

Quote:
I became a fulltime 3d artist
Would be awesome if you could share realistic renders based on the camouflaged upcoming cars we spot
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 00:03   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fateh Salim View Post
Sir, welcome to the family. I'm looking forward to seeing more interesting content from you. I can't believe how accurate your render model looks. I've also developed a strong interest in 3D modelling, particularly when it comes to surface modelling. For my super mileage prototype, I also created an aerodynamic shell back in college(few photos are posted on my introduction page). I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself here. Cheers!
Thank you, Fateh, appreciation from a fellow auto enthusiast means a lot, please share your 3d models if you can, let me know if I can be of any help specially for rendering.
And I saw your prototypes, that is some fabulous work you have there, makes us all proud.
I will share some interesting renders as soon as I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Welcome aboard man! Clearly working where your passion is, huh?!
Those were the days. You will want to read this thread on Premier Auto (The Premier Automobiles Ltd - The Remembrances Thread).
Would be awesome if you could share realistic renders based on the camouflaged upcoming cars we spot
Hey thanks, GTO, honestly, I am very fortunate to be making digital cars for a living. Thanks also for the Premier Auto thread, I have great memories of the Premier colony and the Padmini, I will certainly read and add to that thread.
About camouflaged cars, that's something I've had in my mind for sometime. I'll give it a go as soon I am free from work, if high resolution images are available that would be of great help.
In the mean time I will share some Indian cars, I really want the Indian automotive art scene to develop like other countries.
KSPatil is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 00:10   #5
Team-BHP Support

Welcome to the forum. Here is one thread with some good ol' manual paintings

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...-drawings.html (The Artworks thread! Paintings, sketches & drawings)
Eddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 11:07   #6
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to the forum. Please share more of your work. I am very keen on automobile renderings but have been procrastinating since many years (actually decades :(). Hope I can get some inspiration and tips to get started
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 22:32   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Welcome to the forum. Here is one thread with some good ol' manual paintings

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...-drawings.html (The Artworks thread! Paintings, sketches & drawings)
Thanks Eddy, the artwork there is amazing to say the least, specially the Porsche 917 by ACMohan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Welcome to the forum. Please share more of your work. I am very keen on automobile renderings but have been procrastinating since many years (actually decades :(). Hope I can get some inspiration and tips to get started
Thanks Guna, I will soon share some in the 3d art thread.
Rendering is much easier than it was a decade ago. You can get a decent render with one click. Shading and lighting is the main skill, looking at your paintings you'll surely create some good renders quickly. If you have a good computer with a decent GPU, just go for it. I will definitely assist you if needed.
KSPatil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 19:00   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you, Fateh, appreciation from a fellow auto enthusiast means a lot, please share your 3d models if you can, let me know if I can be of any help specially for rendering.
And I saw your prototypes, that is some fabulous work you have there, makes us all proud.
I will share some interesting renders as soon as I can.
While I was completely focused on surface modelling on CAD and testing the mild hybrid system that we used in the prototypes, I didn't have a lot of time to experiment with rendering. Here are a couple render models created by my fellow teammates, as well as a photo of the prototype. Getting the identical proportions in reality was a difficult task. The real end result took a long time, a lot of styrofoam, glassfibre, and carbonfibre. In the competition, this car achieved a fuel economy of 148.2kmpl.
Hello from an Automotive artist-astria-render-1.png
Hello from an Automotive artist-astria-render-2.png
Hello from an Automotive artist-img_20191117_084129.jpg
Source:Team Infieonsupermileage (My team back in college)
Fateh Salim is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 20:10   #9
BHPian

Quote:
I regularly watch Formula 1 since 2000, I like listening to heavy metal, collecting scale models and photography but I enjoy being in nature the most.
Welcome KSPatil! Wonderful that you're able to follow your passion and do what you love - really dig that render you've posted.

Seems you have a lot of similar interests. FWIW there's some Youtube channels I follow that have never failed in bringing to light new music, particularly in the heavy metal genre that might be handy for you:
  • Spaceuntravel
  • Dreambound
  • Montagerock
  • Rise Records
  • Sumerian Records
Look forward to your travelogues and seeing your renders out and about on the forum.
ads11 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2021, 23:00   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fateh Salim View Post
Here are a couple render models created by my fellow teammates, as well as a photo of the prototype. Getting the identical proportions in reality was a difficult task.
These renders are very good for the given purpose, though I would encourage learning shading and materials. Your project is mighty impressive, for a lay person like me 148.2 kmpl is other worldly. Kudos to you and your team, I can just imagine the time and effort taken for this project. Have you had a chance to work on reverse engineering or 3d printing project?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ads11 View Post
Welcome KSPatil! Wonderful that you're able to follow your passion and do what you love - really dig that render you've posted.
ads11, I follow your posts and updates on commercial vehicles section, big fan here.
You have very good taste in music and your suggestions will save me the effort of searching for new tracks/audiobooks in the morning. I liked Spaceuntravel, rarely changed tracks.
I'll pen down my travelogues as soon I can, I have some stories to tell and also share some automotive renders in the coming weeks.

Last edited by aah78 : 18th June 2021 at 00:35. Reason: Quote trimmed.
KSPatil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2021, 19:41   #11
BHPian

Quote:
ads11, I follow your posts and updates on commercial vehicles section, big fan here.
You have very good taste in music and your suggestions will save me the effort of searching for new tracks/audiobooks in the morning. I liked Spaceuntravel, rarely changed tracks.
You're very kind. I'm really glad you find my posts worth following and I'm especially glad you liked the music. I'll drop you a message about some groups worth following. That being said Spaceuntravel for the last decade really is one of the best channels to follow because whoever the admins are, do such a brilliant job of highlighting a wide range of artists over time. There's some really niche groups I've got to know through that page, to the point now I'm in touch with some quite regularly over the likes of instagram etc. It's amazing how social media can bring smaller groups closer to more globally varied audiences.
ads11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2021, 23:13   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ads11 View Post
I'll drop you a message about some groups worth following.
It's amazing how social media can bring smaller groups closer to more globally varied audiences.
Please suggest some good instrumentals if you can, I like to listen to it while working. Finding good heavy metal instrumentals is very time consuming.
Over the years I have been exposed to new artists and genres due to social media, mostly YouTube, which would have gone under the radar otherwise.
Old 21st June 2021, 15:44   #13
BHPian

Quote:
These renders are very good for the given purpose, though I would encourage learning shading and materials.
Thank you very much. Once I have some intriguing projects in mind, I will surely devote some time to rendering.
Quote:
Your project is mighty impressive, for a lay person like me 148.2 kmpl is other worldly. Kudos to you and your team, I can just imagine the time and effort taken for this project. Have you had a chance to work on reverse engineering or 3d printing project?
Yes, We had a few 3D printed components designed as well. The 3-D printed structure was made of polycarbonate. This material exhibits excellent structural properties through wide range of temperatures. It can maintain its structural rigidity from -20 °C to up to 140 °C. The infill of the structure was kept up to 100% which ensured that the intake was sturdy. Keeping the infill any lesser caused it to disintegrate through the course of its running. The newly designed intake also had a tapered inner cross section which helped in the increase the velocity of the entering air. This ensured that the fuel is properly atomized before entering the engine. This solves the problem of fuel wastage as it directly injects the fuel near the intake valve. Another problem encountered was the incorrect readings of the MAP sensor due to the already existing air pressure inside the intake runner due to its long length. Reducing the runner length helped us to gain more accurate readings of the MAP sensor hence the ECU could command the engine more promptly and accurately.

Hello from an Automotive artist-20190426_20353101.jpeg
Raw iterations.

Hello from an Automotive artist-20190720_193228.jpg
Final component.
Fateh Salim is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th June 2021, 11:06   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Everyone,

I am KSPatil, an automotive artist by profession (Computer-Generated Imagery to be precise).
Welcome on TBHP!
Asking out of curiosity: What does an automotive artist do? Is the job profile purely aesthetic or do you also need to factor in the technical details (e.g. aerodynamics) while you design?

If possible please share a small write up on your work. How it starts, matures and evolve into the final product.
RedTerrano is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2021, 06:38   #15

Hi KSPatil,
It is nice to see your work.
Have you done any work on Ambassdors too? If so, please post. I love AMBYs
jayhind is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks