Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2022, 09:52   #1

Hello to everyone

Hello everyone,

My name is Nitin and I cannot be more happy to be part of this community which has taught me a lot about cars and automobile engineering which I could not learn during my degree in mechanical engineering

I was born in 80's in a distant town of Rajasthan on Indo-Pak border where Mahindra Jeeps (Commander, Major) were the only civil vehicles we saw except army vehicles and tanks. Probably this was the reason I got inclination towards rugged rear wheel cars. My first car was White Mahindra Thar Di 2013 with soft top which I later converted into hard top and powered it with Bolero AC. It was like a blank canvas, perfect to learn more about engines and how cars work. The hard steering without power gave me strong arms. Since this was my first car I never felt any discomfort in driving it. I remember I used to travel for 700 km in a single day without any complaint. I lived in Ahmedabad during this time and people used to come to me for a test ride of my thar with much enthusiasm and the look security guy of the most prestigious management institute of country used to give me when I used to take my Thar for work was so satisfying.

My family members were not so happy with me driving a thar in city and to my work so I got a used Xylo because that childhood love for rawness of Mahindra vehicles never let me choose anything else. People were again not so happy with my choice but I lived with her for three years. Later I chose Nexon to give Tata a try. I must say I was surprised with the comfort it provided me, I am 6 feet tall but still I drove Nexon for almost a year before I got my self another vehicle.

I spent considerable time to find a best suited vehicle for my use. I drive for almost 30K km in a year. 20% in deep rural villages specially in Himachal because of which I never liked FWD monocoque vehicles. I had to choose between my childhood love Mahindra's Scorpio 4X4 and my recently experienced Tata's Hexa 4X4. Scorpio 4X4 was discontinued after BS6 came in picture and I didn't want to wait for indefinite time for 2022 model which was earlier due in 2021. Last year I got Hexa XT 4X4 (a used one) but I must say I am impressed with comfort, ruggedness and safety this car provides. I hope she will stay with me for long time as Tata has already discontinued Hexa.

My purpose to be here was to participate more in discussions, to learn and to get answers to my questions. Even though I am a trained mechanical engineer and a practicing product designer, I must say my knowledge is limited about automobile engineering which I want to acquire through this forum.

I am passionate DIV enthusiast, a lazy writer, an innovator and a maker. I have made multiple modifications with my Hexa and I am in the process of acquiring this army disposed Swraj Mazda 4x4 ambulance to be converted into motorhome which I want to build myself.

Here is one of the videos I did for hardwiring my dashcam and installing a voltmeter and permanent charger to my car. I posted in DIY section but mods asked me to add lot of pictures. I was so lazy to do that so thought of sharing it here

This was so far my longest post anywhere.
I hope to be more active on the forum.

Thanks,
Nitin
Attached Thumbnails
Hello to everyone-1.jpg  

Hello to everyone-2.jpg  

Hello to everyone-3.jpeg  

Hello to everyone-4.jpg  

Hello to everyone-5.jpg  

Hexathor is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 13:21   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hello to everyone

Hello Hexathor,

Welcome to the forum, glad to have you onboard.

That's quite a lineup of cars you've had in your garage over the years.

Eagerly awaiting to know about all the modifications you've made to your Tata Hexa.

Also, the conversion of an army-disposed Swaraj Mazda 4x4 ambulance into a motorhome sounds extremely interesting. Looking forward to reading about the entire process, right from acquisition to the final build itself.

Cheers!
Rahul N
Old 19th January 2022, 07:44   #3

Hi Rahul,

Thanks for your message. I have added a voltmeter, a permanent charger and hardwired the dashcam in my Hexa which is covered in the video. I have made another setup to take water from wiper fluid tank for the purpose of washing hands when I go to the loo

Will make video and share. About the Mazda, will write seperate thread.

Thanks,
HT
Old 6th February 2022, 13:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexathor View Post
Hello everyone,

My name is Nitin and I cannot be more happy to be part of this community which has taught me a lot about cars and automobile engineering which I could not learn during my degree in mechanical engineering

My first car was White Mahindra Thar Di 2013 with soft top which I later converted into hard top and powered it with Bolero AC. It was like a blank canvas, perfect to learn more about engines and how cars work.

I spent considerable time to find a best suited vehicle for my use. I drive for almost 30K km in a year. 20% in deep rural villages specially in Himachal because of which I never liked FWD monocoque vehicles. I had to choose between my childhood love Mahindra's Scorpio 4X4 and my recently experienced Tata's Hexa 4X4. Scorpio 4X4 was discontinued after BS6 came in picture and I didn't want to wait for indefinite time for 2022 model which was earlier due in 2021. Last year I got Hexa XT 4X4 (a used one) but I must say I am impressed with comfort, ruggedness and safety this car provides. I hope she will stay with me for long time as Tata has already discontinued Hexa.

I am passionate DIV enthusiast, a lazy writer, an innovator and a maker. I have made multiple modifications with my Hexa and I am in the process of acquiring this army disposed Swraj Mazda 4x4 ambulance to be converted into motorhome which I want to build myself.

Thanks,
Nitin
Wow, great that you're on-board. Apart from my NOT having grown up in a sensitive border area, I can't easily think of any Bhpian with whom I'd seem to share as much in common.

Both six-footers, both had (/have) primitive M&M DI 4x4 as first vehicle here (see my "Marshal NGCS 4x4" thread if interested) both dislike fwd's and prefer full-frame cars, both of us have driven a lot in H.P. villages; Both mechanical engineers who've done design work, both enjoy modding our stuff; both pondered the Scorpio 4x4 vs. Tata AWD crossover question (in my case Aria vs. S4+); and believe it or not, both have had the Swaraj ambulance conversion in mind.

Will be following your movements and initiatives closely, and do plan to drop in next time you're in H.P. (or perhaps Mizoram).

Hello to everyone-img_20210409_105554.jpg

Biggest question re: the ambulance/ expedition camper was the question of re-registration as a caravan... which according to most interpretations of the Motor Vehicle Act cannot be done on vehicles above 3 years old... please let me know if yoi've discovered a solution for this.

Happy Trails,
Eric

Last edited by Turbanator : 8th February 2022 at 13:24. Reason: Please avoid ..
Old 8th February 2022, 13:19   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
Apart from my NOT having grown up in a sensitive border area, I can't easily think of any Bhpian with whom I'd seem to share as much in common.

Wow, that's great, I am thrilled to know someone who has so much in common. Good to know you Eric. Will be in touch.

About your question on camper conversion, my last attempt failed as the re-registration of this auctioned army vehicle in HP was not allowed so now I am looking for a newer vehicle that can be registered as a private vehicle, registering this as a Caravan/Motorhome is the second step.

Thanks again for your message.

-Ni3

Last edited by Turbanator : 8th February 2022 at 13:26. Reason: Please quote only relevant portion while replying. Thanks!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks