Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2022, 17:52   #1

Hi everyone, Slip here!

How do you do, fellow BHPians? I go by slippery or slip (ingame name from school) and it's wonderful to be finally part of this forum.

I've been working as a copywriter for the past four years and I've finally decided to call it quits (for now) and focus on my mental well-being and personal interests. All of my contracts/retainers end this June and since I'll rely solely on my savings for the next couple of months, I am considering selling my 2020 XUV 500 (with 15k on the ODO) and going the used route to avoid the monthly fixed expenses.

My main hobby is collecting other hobbies and a relevant hobby I picked up during lockdown was auto detailing. My XUV is in beautiful metallic black and as most of you'd know, keeping the paint beautiful is not easy.

To maintain the paint and clear coat and maximize their longevity, I decided to educate myself on the topic of auto detailing, binging AmmoNYC, r/autodetailing, and numerous other great YouTube channels... and of course, the auto detailing thread of TeamBHP. Over the course of two months, I stocked up polishes, compounds, (lots of) microfiber towels, quick detailer, and a bottle of Seal n Shine that's still going.

I enjoy it but have yet to find the time/strength to do a full two-step paint correction. Maybe in the next couple of months with the extra time I'll have.

Another hobby I picked up during the lockdown was motorcycling! I've always been a car guy but due to various life factors, I found myself drawn to motorcycle and the visceral experience they promised. I spent months binging videos in 2020 but as reality began to kick in, I got distracted.

Almost a year later, I caught the bug once again and found myself binging POV videos and decided that it was time and in a span two weeks, I learned how to ride and bought a motorcycle... Yep, that's right. I didn't know how to ride haha.

I visited one of my friends who had a Discover 125 parked at his house for errands and asked him to give me a quick rundown of the mechanics. Having been driving cars for a very long time, riding a motorcycle seemed natural and after a 10 minute ride, I was feeling confident and all the more excited.

The next time I would saddle up would be less than a week later, on a test Suzuki Gixxer 250 SF after I had already purchased the same motorcycle. The PDI was taking a long time so I asked the showroom to get the test vehicle out.

Unfortunately, over the next 10 months I would only ride the motorcycle 4,500 KMs, the majority of which were done on a short ride to the gym. Working from home and not having my many interests outside my house meant that I rarely had any excuses.

I have no regrets althought I did consider selling the little Gixxer recently, I decided against it as my father loves to ride it around (over 50 but a teenager at heart). Looking back, If I knew this was going to be the case, I would probably have gone for the naked version to make it more comfortable for him.

Anyway, this has been a fairly long introduction. Once again, it's nice being here and I am looking forward to talking to meeting more petrolheads.

Cheers!
slipperyslipped is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 15th May 2022, 19:08   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hi everyone, Slip here!

Welcome slippery! What a unique nickname. I can tell it's going to be great having you as part of our community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperyslipped View Post
I've been working as a copywriter for the past four years and I've finally decided to call it quits (for now) and focus on my mental well-being and personal interests. All of my contracts/retainers end this June and since I'll rely solely on my savings for the next couple of months, I am considering selling my 2020 XUV 500 (with 15k on the ODO) and going the used route to avoid the monthly fixed expenses.
Please (PLEASE) start a new thread in our Shifting Gears forum as to how you came to this decision, the motivations, risk, financial planning, future plans and when you intend to resume making money again. We'd all love to know!
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th May 2022, 20:53   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Welcome slippery! What a unique nickname. I can tell it's going to be great having you as part of our community.

Wow wasn't expecting a warm welcome from the man himself, haha. Thank you so much!

Please (PLEASE) start a new thread in our Shifting Gears forum as to how you came to this decision, the motivations, risk, financial planning, future plans and when you intend to resume making money again. We'd all love to know!
Absolutely, I would love to. Stay tuned!
Old 16th May 2022, 12:11   #4
BHPian

Please also add how you came to become a Copy Writer as it is an occupation that has little by the way of formal education. It would be of great help for people like me who would like to pick up writing a hobby.
Old 19th May 2022, 23:27   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreedotk View Post
Please also add how you came to become a Copy Writer as it is an occupation that has little by the way of formal education. It would be of great help for people like me who would like to pick up writing a hobby.
Hi Sreedotk, I may not have a formal education in writing but it's one of the things I've always been good at, partly because I used to read obsessively during my early school years.

It might seem strange but if you'd like to be a good writer, I strongly suggest reading more. You don't have to read books (unless you plan on writing books), just read the type of content you'd like to one day produce. If you want to write scripts, watch well-written movies (and pay a lot of attention to the dialogue).

Note that I did all of these things but not because I wanted to pursue writing in any form but simply because I enjoyed reading.

Hope this helps.
slipperyslipped is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 12:56   #6
BHPian

Welcome to the forum! Your TBhp handle caught my attention. I remember a 'SlipperyPete' from Seinfeld episode, The Frogger - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0697701/

slipperyslipped is indeed unique!

Hi everyone, Slip here!-slippery_peete.jpg

Last edited by SR-71 : 20th May 2022 at 12:58.
SR-71 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 13:00   #7
BHPian

Welcome Slippery!!

You slipped into a very addictive forum.
saisree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2022, 16:03   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
Welcome to the forum! Your TBhp handle caught my attention. I remember a 'SlipperyPete' from Seinfeld episode, The Frogger - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0697701/

slipperyslipped is indeed unique!

Attachment 2310240
Haha thank you. I love your name too, fellow aviation geek here!
slipperyslipped is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2022, 16:04   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
Welcome Slippery!!

You slipped into a very addictive forum.
You're right about that sir!
Old 30th May 2022, 10:18   #10

Welcome, Slippery. Your handle immediately made me think of the slippery slip in Enid Blyton's Faraway Tree series. Not sure about linking rules yet so I won't bother with a wikipedia link.

PS: What can I say? I've got a kid in just the right age group I read to everyday.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks