Team-BHP > Introduce yourself

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2007, 22:57   #1
pt7
BHPian

New to forum, new to cars, new to WagonR

HI All,

I was referrred to this forum by a friend when I was looking for advice for buying a new car. I have just booked my first car a Wagon R LXI Duo in black and I should be getting delivery in a couple of days.

Since I have no background, (and my preliminary search on forum did not get me answers specific to Wagon Rs) I am posting these questions here. It would be of tremendous help if you can answer these.

1 - How are the OE tyres on Wagon R? Should I get a replacement on these? What is better size for Wagon R (LXI DUO). Also how much approx should these cost if I get dealer to get them changed? And what are the benefits?

2 - I have bargained for free Remote Central Locking --- Original quoted by the guy as MGA Central for 4500. Unfortunately I do not have details on this. On other threads I read that this is no good and I should go for a better one which costs a couple of thou more. Can you explain me, what the current model does not do that I will get in the 2nd one!!! Or at the bare minimum, the one for 4500 - does that give theft protection?

3 - I have been promised standard accessories (floor/boot mat, SunFilm). I read about some better protection films on another post - which claims to make the window mirrors more durable etc. Are those worth the price? Also I was against any kind of window film, as I think the clear glass do provide a better visibility . would you agree or its just a matter of practise?

4 - What is gear lock, and how much do those cost?

5 - What is best available petrol on market for this car? (Regular Vs Speed Vs XtraPremium Vs Power???) I dont think have more than one option for Auto LPG - but any pointers?

for asking too many questions, but I think I woke up a little late and I need to know these stuff before I take the possession of the vehicle, as once taken it will take some time before I can think and get more stuff packed in it

6 - What is the deal with Run-in period? How many Kilometers, and what are hte speed limits one should observe? Should I take weekend trips to other places or Hill stations in the initial some time?

7 - I was told that only VXI comes with ABS option pack. I just cant think of a reason why one cant get this in LXI apart from the fact that it does not make economical sense for maruti to do that. But having said that, are there any market fit ABS kits available? Are these advisable?

Sorry agian for long post but would appreciate your response on these.

Thanks!!!
Old 19th June 2007, 00:00   #2
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the new car & a wonderful colour at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt7 View Post
1 - How are the OE tyres on Wagon R? Should I get a replacement on these? What is better size for Wagon R (LXI DUO). Also how much approx should these cost if I get dealer to get them changed? And what are the benefits?
Changing tyres is a preference. Generally OE tyres are built down to a price hence compromising on some quality. If your budget permits, kindly replace the OE tyres with good performance tyres like Michelins or Bridgestones (imported).

Quote:
3 - I have been promised standard accessories (floor/boot mat, SunFilm). I read about some better protection films on another post - which claims to make the window mirrors more durable etc. Are those worth the price? Also I was against any kind of window film, as I think the clear glass do provide a better visibility . would you agree or its just a matter of practise?
This is a personal choice. Filsm do not protect the glass or anything like that. Personally, i also prefer clear glass, but the chennai heat gets you.

Quote:
5 - What is best available petrol on market for this car? (Regular Vs Speed Vs XtraPremium Vs Power???) I dont think have more than one option for Auto LPG - but any pointers?
Where do you stay? depending on that, we could suggest some good bunks to fill in quality petrol which is more important than branding. What about LPG ? IOC, BP, HP all have LPG bunks in the city. Ensure correct quantity, most of these bunks CHEAT.
Old 19th June 2007, 00:53   #3
Team-BHP Support

I was referrred to this forum by a friend when I was looking for advice for buying a new car. I have just booked my first car a Wagon R LXI Duo in black and I should be getting delivery in a couple of days.

Congrats!

I guess you will be having 145/70 R13 tyres on the LXi. The VXi version comes with 155/65 R13 which is better. YOu could ask the dealer to put those tyres at a nominal extra cost. Gives you little more grip around corners without sacrifising much of anything. And its company recommended size for the WagonR too. And, as for tyres, I have Michelin Energy XM1's and would defenitly recommend them. provides comfortable drive and is silent too.

2 - I have bargained for free Remote Central Locking --- Original quoted by the guy as MGA Central for 4500. Unfortunately I do not have details on this. On other threads I read that this is no good and I should go for a better one which costs a couple of thou more. Can you explain me, what the current model does not do that I will get in the 2nd one!!! Or at the bare minimum, the one for 4500 - does that give theft protection?

Must be Nippon, which comes as MGA. Dont think it has any problems though!

Have Garware classic (Dark natural ash tint) installed in my WagonR, and do not find any problems in driving. Check which brand they are offering. Dont go for unbranded sunfilm. The order from least to most expensive is Garware< 3M< Llumar< Vkool.

4 - What is gear lock, and how much do those cost?

Hinders engagement of gears and thereby provides theft protection. Is around 500, i guess (Please read the accesories thread)

Hmmm. Dont know which is the best. Although i use Speed.

7 - I was told that only VXI comes with ABS option pack. I just cant think of a reason why one cant get this in LXI apart from the fact that it does not make economical sense for maruti to do that. But having said that, are there any market fit ABS kits available? Are these advisable?

Thats the reason, i guess. AFAIK, ABS and after market doesnt go together.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 19th June 2007 at 00:55.
Old 19th June 2007, 08:59   #4
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to the forum pt.
C_D and E_L have already given you nice advice on your queries.
I would only like to add two things:

1. Gear lock is a must, even if you have the central locking. My wagonR was saved twice of theft, just because of the Gear lock!

2. I haven't found much difference with using high octane fuel. However, HP Power (the one with additives) does give better mileage in my car atleast.
Old 19th June 2007, 10:01   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Welcome to the forum pt.
C_D and E_L have already given you nice advice on your queries.
I would only like to add two things:

1. Gear lock is a must, even if you have the central locking. My wagonR was saved twice of theft, just because of the Gear lock!

2. I haven't found much difference with using high octane fuel. However, HP Power (the one with additives) does give better mileage in my car atleast.
Totally agree, get the gear lock installed the very first day
Old 19th June 2007, 12:02   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

I guess you will be having 145/70 R13 tyres on the LXi. The VXi version comes with 155/65 R13 which is better. YOu could ask the dealer to put those tyres at a nominal extra cost. Gives you little more grip around corners without sacrifising much of anything. And its company recommended size for the WagonR too. And, as for tyres, I have Michelin Energy XM1's and would defenitly recommend them. provides comfortable drive and is silent too.

Crazy Driver,
I had mailed a question regarding the tyre sizes in Lxi and Vxi in the new model WagonR to MARUTI from their website and i got a call from them and they said that the Lxi and Vxi had the same tyre sizes!!!
Is it true for the new WagonR varients and is the size 145/70 R13 on Lxi and Vxi?

Ramki.
Old 19th June 2007, 12:33   #7
BHPian

Why don't you check the marutiwagonr website and you will know if the Lxi and Vxi have the same tyre specs.
Old 19th June 2007, 13:11   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkdelhi View Post
Why don't you check the marutiwagonr website and you will know if the Lxi and Vxi have the same tyre specs.
dude the website doesn't say anything about tyres or its sizes. It just say they are Radial Tyres! Any New WagonR owners clarify this to me?

Ramki.
Old 19th June 2007, 13:29   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Welcome to the team, pt7. All your questions are already answered in the Team-BHP Advice section. There are also many other discussions on the experience of a new car, so you should definitely spend some time there.
Old 19th June 2007, 13:52   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
Crazy Driver,
I had mailed a question regarding the tyre sizes in Lxi and Vxi in the new model WagonR to MARUTI from their website and i got a call from them and they said that the Lxi and Vxi had the same tyre sizes!!!
Is it true for the new WagonR varients and is the size 145/70 R13 on Lxi and Vxi?

Ramki.
Hmmm. I havent checked on the 'new' WagonR.

The previous versions had tyres sizes given as 145/70 (LX and LXi) and 155/65 (VXi).

Will try and find out.
Old 19th June 2007, 14:20   #11
pt7
BHPian

Tyre size

I agree, even I was under the same impression that VXi and LXi are different sizes. When I asked the dealer guy he said that now it comes as the same size.

Best of all, not a single brochure/ leaflet / website of the company does spell out the size of tyre given with that and I think its a catch!!!

By the way, how much does a Michelline / Other recommended tyres cost. Are the tubeless worth? I am trying to understand how much moolah will that require me to cough out to change the tyres!!!
Old 19th June 2007, 17:14   #12
BHPian

Dude,
As much as I'd like the darkest sunfilm for looks and privacy, I've found that it hinders visibility. Especially if there's a heavy downpour. You'd have to keep the windows up to prevent rain falling into your car, and you'd have poor visibility. I've had a couple of bad experiences with very dark tinted windows.
On the flip side, clear glass also means a letting in a lot of heat in your car, and extra load on your a.c. I would suggest a light tinting(I was told by the dealer that the legal limit is 70%... don't know if that's true though)
Old 19th June 2007, 22:12   #13
pt7
BHPian

ESTEEM LOVER
Where do you stay? depending on that, we could suggest some good bunks to fill in quality petrol which is more important than branding. What about LPG ? IOC, BP, HP all have LPG bunks in the city. Ensure correct quantity, most of these bunks CHEAT.

In Chennai Adyar.

Which are better Petrol / LPG Bunks? The only LPG I know is on mount road nr guindy!!!
Old 19th June 2007, 22:58   #14
Senior - BHPian

Hi, Dude,

Congrats and welcome to the Wagon R club................

I'm also a newbie same as you to this site. I love this site very much.....

I'am using Wagon R Lxi from past 4 1/2 years and do not have any kind of major problem with the vehicle till now. Have done around 30K kms. I have BS tyres (OE fitment) and they are fine. Still can go another 10~15K Kms on the same tyres. And these are OE tyres. Also, I'am spending only about Rs.1500~2000 for servicing/year............

As far as your Remote Locking is concerned, the wagon R Lxi cmes with Central Locking.....I have a company fitted....Maruti Nippon.....It is good and if you still want to explore,go for Auto cop......I feel this is also equally good.

About the sun films, I have 3M scothtint film which is slightly costly than the Garware film but it is worth it. It will be for life long. And hope they are giving you a normal rubber mats. If you want ur vehicle to look good (interiors) if possible re-bargain for fabric mats. Its really good.

Regarding Petrol.....I use Shell (normal) petrol or Normal petrol from BPCL. I tried with Indianoil (8~10 times)......but the mileage dropped....I feel the bunk where I filled in petrol might have been adultered.....

You can drive between 50~60 kms in city and on weekends you can also go for hill stations trips....Man in my vehicle I have touched around 140 kmph on the NH7. I have visited Sabarimala and Goa in my car and it never gave any problem. We have also driven 950~1000 kms at a stretch and vehicle responded very well........Hope this sufficies......

I do not feel the ABS is really a necessity for Wagon R when you are particlarly driving in city limits.......

Hope to have answered to your queries............
Old 19th June 2007, 23:14   #15
BHPian

Hi PT7,

Welcome to WagonR fan club. I've purchased my WagonR LXi one and a half months back, and let me assure you it's a great companion on city roads. Regarding your queries:
1. OE Tyres - I don't feel any problem with OE tyres, but of BHPians say, better to change them.
2. Remote Central Locking is useless. Go for gearlock on the first day itself. It'll cost you around 900 rupees.
3. Run-in period - Better to avoid highway trips during first 1000 Kms, as these trips demand high speed and continuous travel in top gear at constant RPM. Hilly trips should be a BIG NO, as it will stress engine a lot.

Enjoy.....
Closed Thread

Most Viewed