Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2022, 10:32   #1

Ravi - A quick introduction

I've been visiting Team-BHP regularly since 2008 or so. Have learnt a lot, and finally - thanks to GTO and the team - time has come to become a newbie member! So, here goes a quick self intro.

I'm Ravi, a 50 year old Bangalorean. Work in the automation and controls arena, helping the upstream Oil & Gas sector produce the crude oil that is now inseparable from our lives!

My garage: 4 months old Tata Harrier Kaziranga, My trusty 85BHP Duster RXL ('13), Grand i10 Asta ('14), TVS Wego, beloved Hero Honda Splendor ('97), Swaraj Code - a tiny 12HP ATV style mini tractor, and a couple of bicycles.

I'm not the same driver I used to be 20 years ago. Don't really baby or push my cars as much. But want them to go whichever broken road I want to take, hence my love for the Duster.

My interests are varied. As a long distance runner, I've done a few marathons and 50km trail ultras. Wife and son share my love for the outdoors and hiking. Same with civic issues. We try to stay active and participate whenever we can help with sustainability, mobility, infrastructure, greenery, lakes, governance etc. Have dabbled a bit into photography too in the past.

That's a lot of I, me and myself in a single post! Let me stop here.

A heartfelt "Thank You" to all of you here. You guys are wonderful. See you around. And hopefully be useful in this forum.
RaviDBLR is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 12:20   #2
BHPian

re: Ravi - A quick introduction

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaviDBLR View Post
I'm Ravi, a 50 year old Bangalorean. Work in the automation and controls arena, helping the upstream Oil & Gas sector produce the crude oil that is now inseparable from our lives!
Welcome Mr. Ravi from an ex - automation and control professional to another. I say "EX" because i used to work in the process automation field before moving back to Factory automation and partly because you know what Ex stands for in O&G.

Good to have someone with control and instrumentation knowledge here while usually the ones we get here are all IT nerds.

Once again welcome to the forum.
srini1785 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 12:33   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My interests are varied. As a long distance runner, I've done a few marathons and 50km trail ultras. Wife and son share my love for the outdoors and hiking. Same with civic issues. We try to stay active and participate whenever we can help with sustainability, mobility, infrastructure, greenery, lakes, governance etc. Have dabbled a bit into photography too in the past.
Welcome to the forum Ravi and great to have you hear. Nice to hear you have a penchant for the outdoors too. I love running & cycling myself and have done my share of full marathons too. Was chasing the 6 world majors but could only get through halfway before covid struck.

Do feel free to explore the non automotive sections of the forum as well. There is an entire section on cycling as well as some detailed threads on running and some on general fitness. Will be great to have your participation and insights on those as well.

Do of course have a quick look at the forum rules etc as well so that you’re familiar with the general rules as well as useful tools like quoting multiple posts, uploading pics, use of assembly line etc.

Cheers
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 13:46   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Welcome to the forum Ravi.
Nice to hear about your background in automation and control. I have worked in the same area both up and down stream. Even taught some post graduate process technology courses for some years, way back.

Looking forward to reading your contributions
Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 14:25   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Welcome, Ravi. Guess we can look forward to some good info from you about Oil & gas production.

A fairly big garage there, but what caught my eye was the Code. Would like to check it out sometime. Where is it ? A '97 Splendour bring me some fond memories - my uncle had got it soon after it was launched, and have done a few rides on that when visiting him. Lovely bike that.

Last edited by condor : 11th August 2022 at 14:27.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 18:20   #6

Re: Ravi - A quick introduction

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
Good to have someone with control and instrumentation knowledge here while usually the ones we get here are all IT nerds.
Same here. It is hard to find our kind in this sea of IT professionals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Was chasing the 6 world majors but could only get through halfway before covid struck.
Wow! That's awesome. I'm quite a novice in that sense. Have managed one sub 4 hour marathon and a few Malnad Ultra 50k completions, and quite happy with that. Hope you get to complete your dream run. Running in the Mumbai Marathon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
I have worked in the same area both up and down stream. Even taught some post graduate process technology courses for some years, way back.
Jeroen
*Respect!*.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
A fairly big garage there, but what caught my eye was the Code. Would like to check it out sometime. Where is it ? A '97 Splendour bring me some fond memories - my uncle had got it soon after it was launched, and have done a few rides on that when visiting him. Lovely bike that.
Code is a fun little thing to drive around in the farm. It is considered "farm equipment". No registration, no license. So, not street legal. Recently bought a small 2 acre mango farm near Ramanagara. Code is on duty there.

Splendor was the first vehicle I purchased with my own money. Heart does not let me get rid of it, neither does my family. Everyone loves it! Unfortunately, never got around to getting its FC done. So, it comes out every ayudha pooja, starts up with 2-3 kicks, does the customary drive round the block and goes back into hiding .
Old 12th August 2022, 20:15   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Wow! That's awesome. I'm quite a novice in that sense. Have managed one sub 4 hour marathon and a few Malnad Ultra 50k completions, and quite happy with that. Hope you get to complete your dream run. Running in the Mumbai Marathon?
Last two (Lon and Chi), both 2019 were sub 4 for me as well (3:54 and 3:50). But I’ve totally lost the training mojo since early 2020. Right now barely mustering 6 - 8km distance to get back in.

I was excited about getting back into training with TMM half announced for Jan 15th but 99% it clashes with a pre-scheduled work commitment so I know I’m going to be out of Mumbai that weekend. Pity - Mumbai is a home race and I’m bummed that I’ll be unable to run it this time.

These ultras follow some beautiful routes and are usually so much harder than what the distance alone suggests - thanks mostly due to more challenging terrain. Hats off for pulling those off. I’d love to attempt one some day - hopefully the Tata Ultra perhaps at Aamby valley. A really hard run mostly due to the elevation profile - but beautifully scenic of course.
Old 12th August 2022, 20:34   #8

Quote:
Last two (Lon and Chi), both 2019 were sub 4 for me as well (3:54 and 3:50).
Nice!

Quote:
These ultras follow some beautiful routes and are usually so much harder than what the distance alone suggests - thanks mostly due to more challenging terrain. Hats off for pulling those off. I’d love to attempt one some day - hopefully the Tata Ultra perhaps at Aamby valley. A really hard run mostly due to the elevation profile - but beautifully scenic of course.
Agree. Any day I'd pick a 50k trail ultra over a road marathon. The last 10k or so can be a big drag in any road marathon. Guess only the crazy like us curse every km during the run, but end up registering for the next one a few months later!

Add the Malnad Ultra to the list. Very well organized in a beautiful setting. You'll really enjoy the experience.
RaviDBLR is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks