Team-BHP > Introduce yourself

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2007, 15:52   #1

This guy is nuts bout anything on wheels!

There was once a boy who grew up fantasizing 'bout things on wheels. His first "auto"mobile if you can call it that was a scarlet (the authentic Ferrari shade) tricycle which he acquired at age 3. It was love (actually make that obsession!) at first sight. All of a sudden walking seemed boring – the worst form of personal transport! The little fella would eat, sleep and even go to the loo on it! If he had his way he would have even gone to school on it but fate (and his concerned parents) thought otherwise

A couple of years down the line the tricycle seems to have lost its charm. After having mastered the machine (his mastery including riding it with one hand, both hands off, forwards, backwards and any other way that you could conceive) the brat is looking for new challenges. The scheming little rascal convinces his grandpa to get him a bicycle for his birthday and grandpa being grandpa had to oblige. This was the beginning of long love affair with a BSA Champ, his trusted steed, partner in mischief, his everything for a good 7 years!

Eventually he realizes that he’s grown too big for his bicycle and that there are better machines out there that are waiting to be conquered. He graduates to a full size bicycle – complete with “Full Suspension Technology”. He looked after it like the love of his life, making it a point to keep it spotless with quite a few Sunday afternoons spent experimenting with the effects of rubbing compound on his bicycle.

Apart from the bicycles, which he proudly called “HIS” machines, this boy grew up among a lot of cars – Heralds, Gazelles, M800s, Dolphins (they were bloody quick especially when they ran on high octane fuel that one could buy of some non-descript shop on kasthurba road in Bangalore), Premier Padminis (not too much of a fan), Maruti Omnis (again not much of a fan), Contessas (he still cant forget the roar of the ISUZU 1.8L under the hood), Cielos (a car that was ahead of its time in build quality, performance when it was launched), Esteems (that’s the stuff legends are made of!), Alto 1.1 (living proof that BIG things come in small packages) and a Mazda 929. He spent most of his time pestering / pleading / begging his folks to let him sit on their lap (as long as he was small enough to fit there) when they were driving persevering till the adults had to give in because that was the only place where he would keep his mouth shut and not drive them up the gum tree with infinite questions on how things worked in the vehicle!

Cut to 29th June 2007. I AM the boy…. now a man!

The sad part about growing up was that I also grew to big for my dad’s lap after a while. I had to devise other means pursue my passion. Convinced my dad to buy a kinetic which I would ride with him chaperoning. Convinced him to let me start the car for him in the morning (on the lousy pretext of warming the engine up!) when I could hardly see beyond the instrument cluster. Convinced him to let me wash the cars myself (actually didn’t need to do much convincing with this one, he was more than willing to let me do it!) Convinced the driver to teach me to drive the ’76 premier padmini in the yard when I was barely into high school! Though the folks at home did indulge me, they would not let me drive on the streets till I had a license. I had to be content with taking the car out of the garage before dad left for office in the morning and parking it inside in the evening. I seemed unreasonable that the minimum age to be eligible for a LMV license was 18!!! It seemed light-years away while I was still in school! I learnt from somewhere that I would be eligible to apply for a learners’ license for 2 wheelers with engine displacements below 60cc when I was 16. I filled out the application form a month before my 16th birthday and promptly reported to the local RTO the day I turned 16…. Only to be sent back home by some (not so polite) officer who pointed out that I would complete 16 years of existence only at the end to the day! Im sure it was all part of some cosmic conspiracy!

For those of you who have read this far : Im convinced we share a passion for anything on wheels

For those of you cursing me under your breath for such a long intro : If you have come this far you either have NOTHING much to do or you are hoping that there may be something interesting further down. Either way I doesn’t hurt to spend a few more minutes does it??

Education took me to Orange city, loved life in the hostel. Never had a bike of my own for quite sometime but always managed to find one when I needed it. Had a lovely time riding two wheelers in various states of (dis) repair including a Bajaj Priya of 1980s vintage – it would just manage to get to the college gate from the hostels on half a litre of fuel. It was finally donated by may pal who owned it to someone at the local driving school in exchange for driving classes and a LMV license. I keep pulling his leg to this day that he got his license “dirt” cheap!! Just before leaving college I got my hands on a ’88 Yam RX100 for just under ten grand. Spruced the bike up a bit – new coat of glossy black paint, a roadking rear rim and tyre and rally spec headlamps with a grille (inspiration from one of Jagat Nanjappa’s rides!). The bike continues to be my ride and I wont part with it for al million bucks!

I joined Ashok Leyland a year back and was able to lay my hands on some really mean machines! Driving the 2214 Multi-axles and the Stallion and Topchi 4X4 that they make for the army is one helluva experience. The stallion is serious bang for the buck at the price at which it comes – would’ve been my preferred personal ride if not for the congestion on our roads today!

I’m looking to get my self a four wheeler, was doing some research on that when I stumbled into Team Bhp’s website a week back. I have been addicted since then! Its like ive finally found bretheren who speak the same language! looking forward to joinig in on the fun !

P.S - You guys doing a fantastic job - kudos!!!
Old 29th June 2007, 16:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

Oh, great! Another automotive junkie. Just what we need, you'd think.

Well it's exactly what we need. Welcome to the forum. Familiarise yourself with the forum, and you'd have a good time for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry View Post

I joined Ashok Leyland a year back and was able to lay my hands on some really mean machines! Driving the 2214 Multi-axles and the Stallion and Topchi 4X4 that they make for the army is one helluva experience. The stallion is serious bang for the buck at the price at which it comes – would’ve been my preferred personal ride if not for the congestion on our roads today!
Your the guy they featured in the Ashok Leyland ad or what?
Old 29th June 2007, 17:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

superb intro. welcome to team BHP. enjoy your stay here. take care.

do go through the rules of posting.
Old 29th June 2007, 17:35   #4
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Barry, IMO thats the best intro I have seen. Welcome to the forum.

Quote:
All of a sudden walking seemed boring – the worst form of personal transport!
Ah, a man after my own heart. Eerrr, I mean habits
Old 29th June 2007, 17:36   #5
Senior - BHPian

Was a nice read...welcome to T-BHP and enjoy your stay.

And go through the announcement section before going further.
Old 29th June 2007, 17:47   #6

awsome work man...
The way you introduced urself is something really great..
Old 29th June 2007, 18:03   #7
BHPian

Welcome buddy. Neat intro, could relate to most bits myself....except the Ashol Leyland part though.
Old 29th June 2007, 18:55   #8
BANNED

Ashok Leyland!!?? hi!! Their cheetah is the FIRST vehicle (with an IC engine) I drove!!!
Old 29th June 2007, 20:06   #9
BHPian

Awesom intro...welcome to Team-BHP.

Hellcat
Old 29th June 2007, 20:49   #10
BHPian

hey thats a real nice intro looking forward for more posts by you.
Old 30th June 2007, 01:46   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry View Post
I keep pulling his leg to this day that he got his license “dirt” cheap!!
Ha Ha Ha..

The whole intro was superb. Especially about the kid finding out that walking is most boring how true and coincidentally lot of us in this forum must have discovered the same thing.

But now, you get to drive the biggies, how about starting truck racing series in INDIA
Old 30th June 2007, 10:08   #12

Thanks a ton people!!! It sure feels great to be part of the action at team-bhp... The promised land for auto junkies !!!See you around in the forums!

@ 1100 D - Truck racing in India.... that would be a dream come true. The last I heard there was a beauty contest for trucks - some publicity stunt!!! You never know truck racing may not be too far away !

@ported_head - no im not "varun Prasad" the guy in the Ashok Leyland ad. Im Bharadwaj !
Old 30th June 2007, 10:23   #13
BHPian

Barry welcome mate, and a great Intro. Have a good stay.
Old 30th June 2007, 11:05   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

This is a very hot looking truck my friend. Especially those tyres. Hot.

You've written a wonderful introduction Barry. Welcome. You WILL make lots of friends, I can already see it
Closed Thread

Most Viewed