Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2008, 15:42   #1
BHPian

Joe - turbocharging NAs and old school Strokers

Hi,

Im Joe - I work for a business consulting/ offshore advisory firm. My interests - automotive performance (tweaks, mods, OBD tools, turbocharging NA engines, cylinder porting, piggyback engine management systems, water injection etc)

It started in the early 90's with 2-stroke cylinder porting, expansion chambers, retrofitting bigger reed cage etc. Switched over to tubocharging NA engines and piggy back engine management systems while I was in the US. My interest has never been extreme power. Its been more to do with keeping the present engine config the same with minimal strap ons/mods, yet achieving significant performance increase. I also like to keep track of direct swapable parts that would result in better performace (MAF, injectors, intercoolers, turbo chargers, cat converters etc)

Hope to chat up with people with similar interest !!!
Old 7th February 2008, 16:33   #2
rippergeo

welcome joe, so what do you drive? is it a boosted swift? serious question, not pulling your leg. sometime down the line I'd like a good intercooler for my DDiS, will find you then.

Old 7th February 2008, 17:03   #3
BHPian

Joe

I used to have a boosed swift (old-G13 based) back in the US besides a VW corrado G60 (swapped the supercharger for a T3/4 hybrid). But now I use a regular NA four banger to take my kids around and get to office !! lol ...

thanks for your reply - Joe
Old 7th February 2008, 17:07   #4
Team-BHP Support

Welcome Joe interesting intro, do share more experiences.
Old 7th February 2008, 17:25   #5
BHPian

I got myself a used VW Corrado G60 (superchaged 1.8L, 8V, 4 cyl). Got it real cheap since it supposedly had some serious problem. Luckily, it was some minor puncture on the vaccum plumbing that made the ECU dump fuel - result exessive smoke. It was a fun car, loved it much. Later, I swapped the G-ladder supercharger for a T3/4 hybrid without much other mods to fuel system etc since it was already designed for taking boost. There was much more I wanted to do like - switching to a 16v VW head which is pretty much a straight swap. But those were "shoe strig" budget days .... lol. I think this was the 1st major experience after the 1st phase - old 2 stroke mod era.
Old 7th February 2008, 19:01   #6
rippergeo

any plans for the NA 4 pot banger?

Old 8th February 2008, 12:21   #7
BHPian

Hi,

Just wondering if like minded folks here can put together some thoughts to come up with a basic turbo set up (not for extreme performance) using stock internals and running around 8-9psi boost.

Suggestions needed in the following areas- (putting down my thoughts that are relatively easy and cheap, Im sure there are better ways!!)

Turbocharger - Garrett, mitsubishi etc T25 size or smaller to make it spool quicker

Turbo manifold - log style manifold, its easy to build as compared to the equal length one. (anyone, know any good place who build

Fuel management - Cheapest might be RRFPR/FMU, a rising rate fuel pressure regulator hooked up with a high pressure fuel pump that will bump up the fuel pressure as boost rises in the intake.----------or --------
Hooking up an extra injector (and a driver mechanism) that would be activated at a certain intake/MAP reading.

Fuel pump - May be high pressure rated Bosch OE or other good quality pump that would deliver more than 80 psi of fuel pressure (to keep costs lower than having to buy a perfromance fuel pump like Walbro etc)

Intercooler - Whatever you lay your hands on provided it fit in the area that want it to be.

BOV - no suggestions from myside. I would like suggestions

Exhaust system - A custom build exhaust that would not have high back pressure. An OE cat converter of a 2L size NA engine might just work.

Just as a note - The objective here would be to create/design a basic turbo set up with known, easily accessible, fairly priced parts and yet have a relaible daily driver boosted car to have some fun (not just on the weekend).

This was just my thoughts around it - Im hoping that everyone in here will have much more to contribute to this. Thanks - Joe
Old 8th February 2008, 14:08   #8
Senior - BHPian

welcome..so one more boost enterprenuer heh!! no..i know that it's a hobby. let us know more about your DIYs. there are couple of boost gurus here....
your list looks ok. but missed the plumbing pipes...it's good if its light and has enough radius at the bends and has good dia. probably a couple of gauges would add some colour and might be helpful also.
Old 8th February 2008, 14:19   #9
Senior - BHPian

The only two like minded people i know of in bangalore are psycho and v1p3r .. do get in touch with them.And search psycho's t-bhp gallery when you have the time.

Welcome to the forum!
Old 8th February 2008, 14:22   #10
Senior - BHPian

Welcome Swiftboost. Guess you are talking about turbo on swift. Why don't you open a new thread and talk about all thats needed and take it to its logical end. Most of the time we have people talking about whats needed without actually seeing the result.
Old 8th February 2008, 14:35   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftboost View Post
This was just my thoughts around it - Im hoping that everyone in here will have much more to contribute to this. Thanks - Joe
Would have to agree that a new thread would be great to start this discussion off but at the same time there are quite a few builds already online would suggest that you search them out on the forum.
Old 8th February 2008, 14:54   #12
BHPian

Thanks for leads. Was just hoping to get people to share their ideas and experiences with lesser expensive turbo set up rather than going in for a high spec set up that may include expensive internal part list and other performance parts. The other extreme of what I was thinking/talking about would need -

Forged piston/Conrods - Ross/Carillo etc
Turbocharger - Turbonetics/HKS etc.
Equal length turbo manifold
Engine management system - MoTec (stand Alone) etc./ Emanage (Piggyback) etc.
Aftermarket performance injectors -
High quality Intake plumbing -
And other misc parts needed
(this translates to big money, I would say!!! ....Just wondering if theres a cheaper way, to atleast have half as much fun .... )
Old 8th February 2008, 15:07   #13
Senior - BHPian

yes psycho, i thought it would be good since this thread restricts only to basic boost requirements.
Old 8th February 2008, 15:14   #14
BHPian

Welcome Joe. Now, would someone translate that to plain english please? For starters, whats NA?
Old 8th February 2008, 15:15   #15
BHPian

Thanks much for considering this for a new discussion/thread.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks