Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2008, 09:44   #1

Hi - from Delhi

Hi,

This is Abhijeet Singh from New Delhi. Run a small software outfit here and am into cars, the outdoors, guns and shooting. Run an online forum for gun / shooting enthusiasts as (my small contribution) towards supporting others who share my passion for the sport, it's at Indians For Guns - Index

Have owned and driven off-roaders ever since I started driving. Gone through 3 Maruti Gypsys and one CJ3B Jeep (army disposal). Now considering whether or not to cave in to domesticity and get a mall cruiser SUV or a plain 'ol sedan.

More on me at Abhijeet Singh - Gun Ownership in India and Skeet Shooting.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Old 14th February 2008, 14:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

Welcome aboard abhijeet, enjoy your stay !!
Old 14th February 2008, 15:18   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
Welcome aboard abhijeet, enjoy your stay !!
Thank you ashthedivx, I've been lurking the forums for a while now and reading up a bit... there's some excellent information here!

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Old 14th February 2008, 15:58   #4
Senior - BHPian

Cars AND Guns!! are you my long lost twin

seriously, I saw your forum and was pretty impressed. Will join up and connect with you there.

Cheers and njoy ur stay here
Old 14th February 2008, 17:02   #5

Thank you for the welcome Himanshu... see you on the other side

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Old 14th February 2008, 17:40   #6
Senior - BHPian

welcome aboard abhijeet! do enjoy your stay here!, i have had a passion for guns too, which i have been keeping dormant till i get my grand dad's license transfered to me the day that is done i am sure to get myself one of the classic extra long barrel revolvers that spits 14mm bullets!

its like my long awaited dreams that will fullfill! welcome once again and do share your out door adventures with the guns and off roaders!
Old 14th February 2008, 18:03   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
welcome aboard abhijeet! do enjoy your stay here!, i have had a passion for guns too, which i have been keeping dormant till i get my grand dad's license transfered to me the day that is done i am sure to get myself one of the classic extra long barrel revolvers that spits 14mm bullets!

its like my long awaited dreams that will fullfill! welcome once again and do share your out door adventures with the guns and off roaders!
Thank you for the welcome rider! A 14mm calibre revolver, that would be around .55"? Never heard of one of those, not to say one doesn't exist (there are even some one off pistols available chambered for monster rounds like the .600 nitro , not that I'd recommend shooting one to anyone)... but could you be talking about the .455 Webley or maybe one of the .45 or .44 calibres? BTW - the .455 revolver is in the PB list (see the following thread under the legal section of the knowledge base - Indians For Guns - Prohibited Bore calibres & firearms )... getting a license for a PB calibre firearm can be a bit of a fight as they can only be issued by the MHA, Govt. of India.

But why wait to get the gun transferred... in the meanwhile get yourself a decent .22 cal rifle for casual shooting/ target practice ASAP! The one made by IOFB can be had from a dealer for approx 30k and compared to the frighteningly expensive prices of guns & ammo in India - I'd call it an absolute bargain! Of course much better made .22 rifles can be had overseas for less than $200, but we simply gotta make do with what we have here

Cheers!
Abhijeet

Last edited by Rehaan : 14th February 2008 at 22:16. Reason: Post edited - Only 2 smileys per post please.
Old 14th February 2008, 18:04   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Another gun enthusiast. Welcome aboard mate. I am waiting for that day when i can own a Walther PPK and pump their lethal bullets into my enemies

Btw, i do have some experience of firing and it would be mostly the .303 with over 300 rounds to my credit.
Old 14th February 2008, 18:16   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Another gun enthusiast. Welcome aboard mate. I am waiting for that day when i can own a Walther PPK and pump their lethal bullets into my enemies

Btw, i do have some experience of firing and it would be mostly the .303 with over 300 rounds to my credit.
Mobike, thank you for the welcome!

I've owned guns since I was 18... and I've never felt the urge to pump bullets into anyone... neither would I be flippant about it! If anything gun ownership has quite the opposite effect on most people, I guess the simple knowledge that what is done cannot be undone makes one stop and think a bit more than if one were simply giving someone a knuckle sandwich!

BTW, due to a complete ban on imports - the last PPK I heard of went for over 15 lacs... a bit pricey for a gun that costs just a few hundred dollars overseas; wouldn't you say? Anyhow, asides from the James Bond factor the PPK is hardly an ideal choice, it's picky in terms of ammunition and has been known to be prone to jams. There are better more modern designs out there... not that any law abiding Indian is likely to get his hands on one - the crooks on the other hand can have what they want with impunity

Ah, the SMLE .303! Now, that's a classic! NCC days? Or was it a fauji/ police background?

Cheers!
Abhijeet

Last edited by Rehaan : 14th February 2008 at 22:17. Reason: 2 smileys per post please. Take a look through the TBHP rules in the annoucements section. Thanks.
Old 14th February 2008, 18:33   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijeet View Post
Ah, the SMLE .303! Now, that's a classic! NCC days? Or was it a fauji/ police background?
you got that right. I got a C certificate in NCC Navy. Yes, i am aware about the drawbacks of the PPK but, somehow it fascinates me even till date, not because it was used by James Bond. Another gun made famous by Hollywood/English Movies/Fiction Novels was the .45 magnum. Wow that has some stopping power.
Old 14th February 2008, 19:10   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
you got that right. I got a C certificate in NCC Navy. Yes, i am aware about the drawbacks of the PPK but, somehow it fascinates me even till date, not because it was used by James Bond. Another gun made famous by Hollywood/English Movies/Fiction Novels was the .45 magnum. Wow that has some stopping power.
I hope you don't believe everything you see in the movies BTW it was a .44 magnum that Clint Eastwood used... stopping power is good, but is nothing without accuracy. A hit with a lower powered gun is still a hit, but a miss with the most powerful load is not going to put down even a rat! The problem with most overpowered handguns is that it is often impossible to get an accurate second or third shot (due to the uncomfortable recoil), so either the first one hits the intended target or you are toast! That said I have a .45 myself, though not a magnum revolver; it's a Colt 1911A1 in .45 ACP...

A dear friend does in fact have a PPK/S chambered for .22 LR. So if you're ever in Delhi give me a shout and maybe we could arrange for you to try it out at the range That is, if he doesn't get tempted by the mad prices for these guns and sell his off for a humongous profit

Cheers!
Abhijeet

Last edited by Rehaan : 14th February 2008 at 22:18. Reason: ditto
Old 14th February 2008, 19:20   #12
Senior - BHPian

Well said

Quote:
Mobike, thank you for the welcome!
I've owned guns since I was 18... and I've never felt the urge to pump bullets into anyone... neither would I be flippant about it!
Well said. I am one of many in the world that have been on the sending AND receiving end of ordinance (ex-Army). A bullet can do horrid things to a human body. Guns can shatter a life and need to be handled by mature people.

Welcome to the site, new but wise fellow.
Old 16th February 2008, 10:51   #13

DirtyDan, Thank you for the welcome, and the kind words I see you're based in Dharamsala - some great off-roading opportunities in Himachal! Been thinking of making a trip towards Sangla valley, but so far haven't had the chance - got as far as Narkanda once, but then due to unrelated reasons had to call the rest of the trip off. Maybe this summer, lets see...

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Old 16th February 2008, 19:14   #14
Senior - BHPian

Hey welcome aboard Abhijeet.!

Donno why but i have always been crazy about guns ,had a huge collection when i was a child (read teenager lol) but only toy guns. :(
There are some guns in my family which are owned by my grandfather and uncles ,some double barrel and some handguns.
I personally like handguns.

Well have a pleasant stay here.

Cheers
Old 16th February 2008, 21:48   #15
BHPian

Quote:

- the last PPK I heard of went for over 15 lacs...
Really!!?? i thought it would be worth a lakh or so at most!! time to get my dad's PPK transfered to my name... he also has a webley .22 lr revolver with an 8 inch barrel, and a couple of .22 rifles, a BSA bolt action and a Winchester pump action. plus a couple of webley .32s a pistol, similar to RAF issue, and a revolver with a 6inch barrel.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks