Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2008, 14:17   #151
Senior - BHPian

@ TheOne: Es gibt wichtigeres im Leben, als beständig dessen Geschwindigkeit zu erhöhen! Mahatma Gandhi

What does your signature mean?
Old 7th March 2008, 14:25   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Yeh kaam karne ke liye Jigar chahiye.
My carpentry class professor used to say this to our shop group a lot. Jigar Shah was a very able woodworker.
Old 7th March 2008, 14:25   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOne® View Post
Sam once tried explaining to me that you actually have three ways of addressing people and when to use which form - now I cannot remember how they are called - but I was very confused lol, it seemed so complicated.
Yes. You have du(familiar) and Sie(formal)

We have tu (very familiar or younger), tum (medium familiar or junior) and Aap (formal)

The safest to use in all circumstances is Aap. In north India the culture is to use Aap for everyone, even little children.
In fact in cases even swearing is done formally and respectfully. They would use Aap while umm, referring to your mother, if you know what I mean.

In Mumbai we have no culture at all, lol. We use tu for almost everyone. Or tum. Or all 3 all together in one sentence. (Don't ask)

But we will not clog your welcome thread with a breakdown of Hindi.
That would be against the rules.

This thread is for welcome to India Jenny, welcome to Team-BHP messages only. Probably some cultural questions are OK. The mods have been patient. Let's not run away with that patience.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 7th March 2008 at 14:26.
Old 7th March 2008, 14:33   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
@ TheOne: Es gibt wichtigeres im Leben, als beständig dessen Geschwindigkeit zu erhöhen! Mahatma Gandhi

What does your signature mean?
I means: There are more important things in life than to constantly increase its speed.

Probably not the best sounding translation but this is what it means. So don't focus on the wrong things in life
Old 7th March 2008, 14:38   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
So in Delhi (and other nothern states) you could often be addressed as Jenny-Bhabbi-ji.
Actually its spelt as "Bhabhi" Navin. And in most cases she'll be addressed as either Bhabhi-ji or Jenny-didi depending on the person addressing her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
My carpentry class professor used to say this to our shop group a lot. Jigar Shah was a very able woodworker.

Last edited by iraghava : 7th March 2008 at 14:39. Reason: Correcting spelling mistakes
Old 7th March 2008, 16:13   #156
BHPian

Warm welcome, TheOne.
Enjoy your stay in India and tbhp.
Old 7th March 2008, 16:32   #157
BHPian

Welcome aboard ma'am!

Regards,
Jaspreet Singh
Old 7th March 2008, 16:55   #158
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Jenny-didi
didi = sister so that would mean "Jenny my sister". My wife is called that (not Jenny but "her name-didi") by the chauffers, cook, etc..

Quote:
In Mumbai we have no culture at all, lol. We use tu for almost everyone. Or tum. Or all 3 all together in one sentence. (Don't ask)
This thread is for welcome to India Jenny, welcome to Team-BHP messages only.
we are also trying to ensure that Jenny has as little culture shock as possible.

BTW, Sam, dont you find it funny that it is me who is doing the translations? :-)

T-O, it would be safe to say that my knowledge of Hindi falls in the lowest 5% of all members on TBHP.

Last edited by navin : 7th March 2008 at 17:08.
Old 7th March 2008, 21:50   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We have tu (very familiar or younger), tum (medium familiar or junior) and Aap (formal)
I can never use TUM - don't know why !!

Quote:
In Mumbai we have no culture at all, lol. We use tu for almost everyone.
True.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Actually its spelt as "Bhabhi" Navin. And in most cases she'll be addressed as either Bhabhi-ji or Jenny-didi depending on the person addressing her.
wow iRags - that was such a decent post.
Old 7th March 2008, 22:00   #160
Awaiting Email Confirmation

11 paGES!!! of an introduction thread!!! Man, does it go any further!!!
Old 7th March 2008, 22:38   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
didi = sister so that would mean "Jenny my sister". My wife is called that (not Jenny but "her name-didi") by the chauffers, cook, etc..
Exactly what I meant Navin, she'll be referred to as didi especially by the female help. The male help will mostly address/refer to her as bhabhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
wow iRags - that was such a decent post.
I could post an appropriate response to that here but unfortunately it'll lead to an infraction so I'll refrain for the time being & save it for when I meet you personally.
Old 7th March 2008, 23:02   #162
Distinguished - BHPian

I think, with everbody having laid out the welkommen carpet to TheOne®, the time is auspicious to close this record-breaking thread before it loses direction. If anyone has been left of the welcoming delegation, please send a PM to the Moderator Team and we shall include that here.
Old 8th March 2008, 11:58   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Epilogue - Thank you

I have always been very dependent on and deeply appreciative of the love I have received from this forum as a collective. From you.

Now you have shown this incredible warmth towards Jenny. We are both very thankful. In just a few days we have discussed Germany, India, the weather, traffic, language, the heart, the liver, North and South India, Bollywood and Indian hospitality, to name a few topics.

Without even realising it, just by being yourselves, you have already helped her take another step towards moving here.

I have always believed that Indian people are capable of an indescribable warmth that is somehow ingrained deeply in all of us.

Team-BHPians are capable of even more.

This may sound plain and formal coming from my usually smart mouth, but this is just the way I genuinely feel right now.

You will all get to meet her one day and I will speak for her when I say that she looks forward to it.

Thank you.
Sam Kapasi is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks