Team-BHP > Introduce yourself

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2008, 07:30   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscap View Post
Oh, boy! You know a lot many of the latest developments in the field. This is a brilliant idea and need to be tasted. I must add that from the end of this year we, the high energy physicist are going to start a very big experiment at LHC in CERN, Geneva where, we hope a lot many of these new ideas will be verified. So keep an eye on the newspapers/channels. It would take at least 2-3 years at least to analyse the data.
I think i have already heard of this LHC. Once again, in some documentary or perhaps Horizon only. Isnt it about the Particle Accelerator and was finally turned on in November 07 or something and the data generated would be to understand the Big Bang theory and how the universe was formed? And it was said to be pretty dangerous too as it could trigger a blck hole or something. Saw this in October 07 and havnt heard of any developments or what happened when the experiment actually took place.

Perhaps you could enlighten me. Maybe a few links or video downloads which would update me.

Quote:
I have already read your feedack. Those were truly informative. Thanks a ton!
Glad it was of help to you. Have posted again

Quote:
I just can not believe it. I thought it would be very difficult to find somebody in India outisde the scientific community who have some interest in Mac OS X : Windows, windows... everywhere.... I love to work with Leopard. I can not think of my professional life without it. Did you try Tiger?
Youd be surprised at how many people in India and outside the scientific community use Macs. I love to work with Leopard too, specially Quick Look. Its the best feature i ever used and the reason why i shifted to Leopard.
Yes, i was previously using Tiger, Leopard is built on it and the additional features like quick look and time machine made me shift to leopard. Else i was very happy & content with Tiger.
Old 26th March 2008, 21:48   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
I think i have already heard of this LHC. Once again, in some documentary or perhaps Horizon only. Isnt it about the Particle Accelerator and was finally turned on in November 07 or something and the data generated would be to understand the Big Bang theory and how the universe was formed? And it was said to be pretty dangerous too as it could trigger a blck hole or something. Saw this in October 07 and havnt heard of any developments or what happened when the experiment actually took place.
You heard it correct, though the claim that it would help understand some mysteries of big bang is a bit far fetched. It may do so in an indirect way. First, it would look for a particle called Higgs which is very much for the present theory of particle physics(not string theory) to be valid. Next, we would look for some new signals which might point at some new symmetries of our nature, called supersymmetry. The latter is crucial for many developments on the theoretical front though there are many competing theories which do not require supersymmetry. So, if we get a new signal, all these theories have to be tested for their validity. This would turn the whole subject into a fun game and quite exciting too.

Quote:
Perhaps you could enlighten me. Maybe a few links or video downloads which would update me.
Okay, I shall do that once I get some free time.

Quote:
Youd be surprised at how many people in India and outside the scientific community use Macs. I love to work with Leopard too, specially Quick Look. Its the best feature i ever used and the reason why i shifted to Leopard.
Yes, i was previously using Tiger, Leopard is built on it and the additional features like quick look and time machine made me shift to leopard. Else i was very happy & content with Tiger.
Quite impressive. It should be like that. Mac is so advanced OS, people in our country must extract benefits out of it. Once people from India adopt it in their day to day life, I am sure that its price will go down.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed