Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2008, 17:59   #1

How an insignificant geek fell in love with Cars... and a Hi

Hi Team BHP,

I'm a new member here and a newbie (of sorts) to cars. I've been in Bangalore spending most of my time on geeky things such as writing software and playing XBox 360 games... things changed recently when I happened to rent a regular rental car in the US (California area). It was a V6 engine - Pontiac G6. The sheer rush of stomping the gas pedal changed me from inside out - I drove around like crazy and traveled without a purpose. I did 1100 miles in 13 days and at the end of it all came back to India with the resolve to buy a car when I get back.

What started out as a search for a 'good family car' ended up in the need to by an SX4. I stumbled upon this site through a friend and I've totally loved the way you guys are doing stuff - from writing super useful reviews to posting your 'hacks' and exploits. I LOVE THIS PLACE!

I'm about to close on an SX4 (ZXi) deal and expect to be driving around India by next week or so (and somehow still manage to stay employed as I start making use of long weekends to explore our beautiful country )

I look forward to not only sharing my exploits with you guys here but also hear your expert opinions as I take baby steps towards becoming a responsible car owner
Old 13th April 2008, 11:13   #2
BHPian

Hello friend SX4 is a sensible option ,AMONG CARS.But since u have driven a V6,I am at a loss to know how you came to love a little 4 cylinder inline?Or if you can stretch ur budget a bit,you can go for a Skoda RS.Or the Safari 140BHP.
Old 13th April 2008, 17:49   #3
BHPian

Welcome Sunson! You'll see amongst us a good number of members sharing a passion for cars & software alike. I am glad that a V6 dropped some petrol in your veins, and more importantly.....toward Team-BHP. Lets see how long your SX4 stays stock .

Do also visit our board rules section just once in order to understand our forum policies. Fellow BHPians can get pretty particular about them. See ya around.
Old 13th April 2008, 19:00   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Nair View Post
Hello friend SX4 is a sensible option ,AMONG CARS.But since u have driven a V6,I am at a loss to know how you came to love a little 4 cylinder inline?Or if you can stretch ur budget a bit,you can go for a Skoda RS.Or the Safari 140BHP.
You used the right Catch phrase, Dost: "Stretch your budget". I started with a budget of 5.5 lakhs and ended up stretching it all the way till 8

Someday when I can afford more I'll definitely go for a car with more cardiac-muscles
Old 14th April 2008, 12:24   #5
BANNED

Sunson, welcome on board dear!!!

For a start, do not compare non-Indian cars and roads with our own. Think about your income (owning cars cost money - not just fuel, depreciation, interest, parking, tolls, maintenance, money given to beggars, cops, etc). SIze of your car should be directly proportional to the depth of your pocket.

And time on hand to clean it.

Take into consideration where you will park it - at home, office, and of course, "native place" when you visit.

Hope you did not break the speed limits in the country you visited. They are very strict about it. I am not sure if you have experience driving cars in India. Driving here is a different ball game altogether. If you are experienced, do go in for a sedan. Otherwise, stick to a hatch as your first car.

Yup, looks like sx4 is a good car.
Old 14th April 2008, 13:11   #6
Team-BHP Support

Nice intro nice choice of car, am sure you will enjoy this place. Welcome
Old 14th April 2008, 13:24   #7
BHPian

Welcome sunson,
Gr8 to hear about the Sx4. I loved that car. Its giving the Honda city and Verna a tough time. I love the height in that car.

Do post the pics once u get it.
Old 14th April 2008, 15:56   #8
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to Team BHP Sunson!!!

Tell us more about your road trips in the US. Where all did you go and did you get any snaps?

Look forward to seeing you post your experiences here.

Cheers,
Lalvaz
Old 14th April 2008, 22:32   #9
BHPian

Whoa Boy, That was a PONTIAC! I wish it was a GTO (Yep, they are my dream cars, not in prod. any more, sadly). Anyway, Have a great time aboard. Cheers!
Old 26th April 2008, 00:31   #10

Hello from Goa

Hi Guys

I cant tell u how thrilled I am writing on this forum. I always felt that it would be very difficult or I can say impossible to be a part of such a big Auto Community as I am from Goa and here although there are many auto enthusiasts, its not as big like Pune and Bombay.

Ok let me start my intro. I have completed my MBA from S P Jain just 15 days ago. I will be 22 this July. But have been driving cars for the last 6 years. I am lucky to have been born in a car crazy family. We are a joint family and therefore I have been lucky to be around many cars. At the moment the cars in our stable include 2008 Mercedes C220 , E220 - 1996 Model, 1951 Mercedes, Maruti Swift Diesel, DZire, WagonR, Estilo, Toyota Innova, Tata Indica. My family is into the Hotel Business in Goa and we have a couple of Budget Hotels in Panaji, the Capital of Goa. You guys are invited to Goa anytime. My email id is virajdhond@rediffmail.com. Do get in touch wid me. My latest assignment is a MM540 1990 Military jeep which we bought just a few days back. I want to modify it completely for my brother who is doing his LLB.

I am in the process of joining the business but want to take my time as I like to do thing 100% when I plan to do them and at the moment I want to fulfill my passion for cars. I hav jsut completed my MBA from SP JAIN at their ofshore campuses of Dubai and Singapore. I even got myself Dubai Driving License by going through the classes and passing the test. This license according to many is very difficult to get that too in 1st attempt but I successfully got it .... I even hired a merc there and drove arnd 1400 kms in 2 days itself.... It was fun and look forward to make many new frnds here ... tk care guys and happy driving .... VROOOM
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks