Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2008, 12:32   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hi from Chennai!

Hi All!

Thought I just joined, I have read a few forums in T-Bhp on and off. I'm a DIY driver, and my bikes are / were:

TVS XL > TVS Champ > Suzuki Shogun > Kinetic Honda

And my cars:

Amby > Contessa Classic (Petrol) > Peugeot 309 GL > Santro Xing XS > Indica DLX

(All the italicised vehicles are still with the family!)

The Black Indica DLX, bought in 2005, was for my own use. Had done 10k + on the clock, including Chennai to Kanyakumari Non-stops! Luck had it that CCTP (Chennai City Traffic Police) would lay unmarked blocks as median stones, and I run over them at 2:45 in the morning at over a 100 KMPH... To make it short, the Indica saved my life.

I got up and running (hopping rather!) after about 6 months, and have not driven cars much - not that I got the jitters. I was out of the country and even when I'm in here, was travelling a bit. My Indica is now doing duty in the family.

For bread, I work as a Project Manager in ITES.

I am all out for music, and have a HUGE collection, esp in Tamil. Got a MHC GN-88D in my bedroom, and my Indica had a Pioneer DEH-8650 MP with JBL Power Series blasters. Needless to say, the system and speakers were not there after the accident!

I'm now looking for new hatch, and was having a soft-spot for the Indica, and wanted to wait for the 1.3 MJD version. Did not consider Swift cause it was not spacious enough. Indica MJD / Palio MJD were in the radar, until rocket-hatch blipped in.

So Getz D it is, and am planning to book a black one pretty soon (Would be grateful if anyone can point to a reliable dealer in Chennai!). Have figured that I would Mod it with Alloys, 195/65's, Spoilers, Fog lamps, Rear Wash n wipe / Defogger... and ofcourse a Pioneer for HU and JBL / Polk Audio speakers.

I have been reading on various member's esperience with this baby, and thanks to Anju, DJ, kviv, undead, and all others who have shared their experiences with this baby.

Will post my questions in the appropriate threads, and will start my log the moment I book it! Glad to be a part of this great place!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Hi from Chennai!-image068.jpg  

ph03n!x is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2008, 15:59   #2
BHPian

Hi ph03n!x, Welcome to t-bhp
Old 30th June 2008, 16:15   #3
Senior - BHPian

Welcome sir (i will call u phoenix ). By your description and the accident you were involved in ,i think you were indeed lucky after such a mishap. Have a nice stay here and an intro starting off with the pics of an accident one is involved in, it happens only on Team-bhp. Drive safe brother!
Old 30th June 2008, 16:22   #4
BHPian

Welcome aboard Phoenix.

Unmarked stone medians in chennai!! You can find that all over the city. IMO CCTP never showed any respect to the road users when it comes to putting barricades or stone medians without enough warnings/signs.
Old 30th June 2008, 17:36   #5
BHPian

@ph03n!x. Welcome abroad to Team-bhp and 3 cheers to TATA sheet metal. Definitely looks like it saved your life. Read the advise on this forum and live a little longer...

Enjoy your stay here
Old 30th June 2008, 19:04   #6
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the warm welcome folks!! Needless to say, I am a lot wiser when it comes to driving now that the accident is 3 yrs behind me... I'm sure we'd be having lotsa fun around here
Old 30th June 2008, 19:07   #7
BHPian

Welcome aboard, wow, never knew unmarked blocks could do so much damage. I imagined the damage would have been more to the under-carriage.

About the Getz CRDI, do try the HMP, I saw 2 new cars being delivered last week.
Old 30th June 2008, 20:06   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandtheleo View Post
Welcome aboard, wow, never knew unmarked blocks could do so much damage. I imagined the damage would have been more to the under-carriage.

About the Getz CRDI, do try the HMP, I saw 2 new cars being delivered last week.
Thanks Anand. I have spoken to HMP, and they will be sending a car for TD this week. ABS is a no-no though...

Talking about damage. the Engine's cylinder block was broken into three in my Indica. The unmarked median hit the engine, which broke loose and hit the cabin, breaking my legs. The left leg "collapsed" the steering. So no legs, and no steering - the car is still doing a 100!!! It hit an oncoming Sumo (blame him - for his high beam that blinded me of the median!) which didnt have much of a damage.

My first reaction was to remove the face plate of my 8650MP, and then call my dad!!!
Old 30th June 2008, 20:43   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Thanks Anand. I have spoken to HMP, and they will be sending a car for TD this week. ABS is a no-no though...

Talking about damage. the Engine's cylinder block was broken into three in my Indica. The unmarked median hit the engine, which broke loose and hit the cabin, breaking my legs. The left leg "collapsed" the steering. So no legs, and no steering - the car is still doing a 100!!! It hit an oncoming Sumo (blame him - for his high beam that blinded me of the median!) which didnt have much of a damage.

My first reaction was to remove the face plate of my 8650MP, and then call my dad!!!
Oh! that is bad. Today too was reading about the Commissioner of the Chennai corporation telling in TOI that eventually all the unmarked dividers would be relaid with permanent ones. I just hope the work gets done fast.

The problem is the concrete blocks get removed by people to get easy access to the other side, sometimes the shops across the road do it themselves. So, the same stretch which we have commuted in the morning is not the same in the night while going back. I guess we have to be 100% alert for these stones.

Hope you have recovered from your injuries.
Old 1st July 2008, 07:46   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandtheleo View Post
...So, the same stretch which we have commuted in the morning is not the same in the night while going back. I guess we have to be 100% alert for these stones.

Hope you have recovered from your injuries.
That is exactly what happened :(

I have recovered, except tht i cant run much, nor do i have a confident balance whn walkin on inclined / declined surfaces... would take a long while.. to quote my doc "the femur is the strongest bone, u have a hyndred fragments of it broken right in the middle. It took two-and-a-half decades to grow. Now that you have broken it, dont expect it to be as good as before in 2 years!"

But thanks for the concern my friend, i am still having fun, like always!!!

Note from Mod - Please read through your post to check for typos before posting. Thanks.

Last edited by Rehaan : 1st July 2008 at 11:30. Reason: Please see note in post.
Old 1st July 2008, 13:42   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Note from Mod - Please read through your post to check for typos before posting. Thanks.
Hi Rehaan! Thanks for correcting me. I had realized that I made a mistake, but I could not edit the post (got a message that went something like the post is no longer valid or something) even within seconds of posting it. I guess I will get that rights after a while!
Old 1st July 2008, 15:58   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hell , that was really a horrifying encounter :( Great to see that you are keeping your spirits up though

Last edited by bottle : 1st July 2008 at 16:07.
Old 1st July 2008, 21:16   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
Hell , that was really a horrifying encounter :( Great to see that you are keeping your spirits up though
Thanks buddy!! Spirits run high always - can't be any other ways to live
Old 1st July 2008, 21:46   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks buddy!! Spirits run high always - can't be any other ways to live
Hope thats not the reason behind the accident. Just kidding
Old 2nd July 2008, 00:45   #15
Team-BHP Support

Hi ph03n!x,

Welcome aboard.
That indica sure is smashed up!!! Thank god you had your seatbelt on.

Quote:
Hi Rehaan! Thanks for correcting me. I had realized that I made a mistake, but I could not edit the post (got a message that went something like the post is no longer valid or something) even within seconds of posting it. I guess I will get that rights after a while!
You are only allowed to edit your post for 20mins after posting - but at the moment you are a newbie, and that time will probably get exhausted while you wait for the moderators to approve your post - hence i suggest re-reading it before posting. Once you are a BHPian and your posts dont have to be pre-approved, you can use the EDIT button within 20 mins to make changes.

cya around,
R
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks