Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2008, 18:59   #1
BHPian

How're YOU'LL Doin' ?

Hello everyone,

After a week of arduous TBHP forum reading, I thought I might as well register

I'm 19 and I study Psychology in Fergusson College, Pune.

My parents have this thing against all two wheelers (except maybe bicycles) and since i came of age have been resolutely against all my requests for a bike/scooter. And Punekars would know how difficult it is to get around in this town. (well not THAT difficult...) So i've been travelling by good old PMT (now called something else.. which eludes my memory) and the odd rickshaw trip.

But of late i dont know what came over them and they decided the kid needs a car - an ALTO. I tried haggling for a 2nd hand swift or something... but nothing gave way. So just booked an Alto Lxi (Black) for 3.25 OTR from Kothari. (the used swift from Maruti true value was 3.85... but sigh....)

Anyway, Dad agreed to a 15-20k odd ICE budget and hence the reason for me joining this forum. After reading a LOT and addling my brains i've some idea of what i want .. well.. Who am i kidding - NOT the faintest clue.

I'll post an appropriate query in the Ask Gurus section pretty soon. Hoping to get the Delivery within the week and the ICING asap.

i think i've rambled on enough...
Cheers!

Last edited by aah78 : 5th July 2008 at 22:04. Reason: Please limit smileys to 2/post. Thanks!
Old 5th July 2008, 19:44   #2
BHPian

Well, I forgot to mention my interests:
Of course - Cars (since i was a little kid) i still have most of my hot wheels. I also have a 1:24 scale model Mercedes SLK 230 (Maisto)

Music: I can play a little bit of guitar. I have also been learning classical music (carnatic vocal) I listen to almost ALL genres. i say almost because I do not like house/trance, or remixes etc. I like all kinds of rock, Blues, a little jazz, heavy metal as also indian classical instumental (i have quite a cassette collection - which i'm hoping to convert soon)
Also recently purchased a Cowon D2 PMP. it's SOOOO awesome! hoping to hook it up with future ICE (i hope it's possible via USB or Aux-in or something)

Reading: Enough said.

Footy
I support Chelsea, and was rooting for France and Holland (both in the WC and the Euro... Overall not a great time for my teams

Not a great fan of motorsports - i follow them off and on - not my cuppa tea.

Tennis and Basketball and of course, cricket i follow closely.

I also like gadgets and stuff (noob) but try to keep abreast of the latest developments and drool over stuff. TE serves this purpose very very well.

I liked this forum a LOT because of the rules. I like the NO SMS lingo rule because i myself am a proponent of proper usage (hence my SMSes are not EXACTLY short) Everything here is nice and ordered and for every little thing there are set rules. I like! (even though some are a pain)

I just want to know WHY the search option needs a verification for EVERY query. First we're expected to search before we post and then put through a tedious rigmarole. I like searching before posting, but just curious as to why the verification needed.

Also i'm learning a lot here, so really thankful to all the Gyaan givers.

anyway, NOW surely i've rambled enough. See you in the Ask Gurus Section soon!

Cheers!
Old 5th July 2008, 20:04   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sultanofswing View Post
Hello everyone,
i think i've rambled on enough...
Cheers!

Welcome to the greatest forum on earth SoS!!
Nice nick there...did not know that Dire Straits was so popular still

This is a great place and maintained always in a pristine fashion.Read all the forum rules please and go through the ICE section and 'search' before you ask anything about ICE.The reason behind that is almost all questions have either been discussed here before or are being discussed currently in various threads.

Have a wonderful time
Old 5th July 2008, 22:28   #4
BANNED

welcome sultan of swing, nice name here. i guess it is rock band!
your parents are right i disliking 2 wheelers.
i too like football & watched every game of euro cup. wish russians would have won. but spain had their luck.
Old 6th July 2008, 13:51   #5
Team-BHP Support

Cool intro. Welcome aboard!

Quote:
... i myself am a proponent of proper usage (hence my SMSes are not EXACTLY short) ...

Quote:
...I just want to know WHY the search option needs a verification for EVERY query. First we're expected to search before we post and then put through a tedious rigmarole. I like searching before posting, but just curious as to why the verification needed....
Well not anymore! Now that you are a member you do not need to post any kind of verification when you search. Search away!

The reason verification is required for non-members is to prevent stuff like DoS attacks. Its a standard on all forum software.

cya
R
Old 6th July 2008, 18:10   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hello SoS.

I see I'm not the only one who uses SMS for long messages

I hate the short slang used by people who SMS and talk on MSN Messenger. It grates on my mind and annoys me.

For someone who lives in the boonies of TVM, our family is also very averse to two wheelers. Our combined auto charges could easily sustain a car and bike. Dad is wising up and getting a Civic though, so I'm happy.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your stay - this place rocks.
Old 7th July 2008, 14:48   #7
BHPian

@immortalz

Glad to meet a like minded person. Yeah even our auto charges are pretty high.
CIVIC eh? brilliant! one of the coolest cars around... I drool every time I see one.

Wel, Dad's Indigo is pretty old (and rickety, thanks to a careless truckwalla) Let's hope for the best
Old 7th July 2008, 15:30   #8
BHPian

Sultan - what a nice name!. Welcome to the forum and happy to see another fellow who love Dire Straits and hate SMS lingo. Hope to see you in ICE soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp1 View Post
welcome sultan of swing, nice name here. i guess it is rock band!
Sultans of Swing is a popular song by the famous rock band Dire Straits.
Old 7th July 2008, 18:07   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfire View Post
Sultans of Swing is a popular song by the famous rock band Dire Straits.
"Anthem" would be the right term..! Welcome aboard SOS (I liked this abbreviation of a nick name!) have a pleasant stay..
Old 7th July 2008, 21:54   #10
BHPian

Yes Anthem is more like it. I kinda like SoS too.. It's like people are appealing to me
"Save Our Souls"

(or do i just end up sounding pompous?)

One of my other hobbies (much to the consternation of others) is Punning. Any exponents of this noble art present here???
Old 8th July 2008, 11:42   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
One of my other hobbies (much to the consternation of others) is Punning. Any exponents of this noble art present here???
Oh for sure!

Ajmat and all the other "old men"!

See if this thread interests you - some fun discussions in there - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...r-english.html

cya
R
Old 9th July 2008, 19:21   #12
BHPian

Thanks! I'm Hooked to that thread. Right up my alley!
Old 9th July 2008, 20:38   #13
BHPian

Sultan of Swing

Welcome Aboard The Sultan of Swing
A Mark Knopfler who looks like Oscar.

We are the Sultans of Swing
Old 10th July 2008, 11:37   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
A Mark Knopfler who looks like Oscar.
ha ha.. hey that was a damn witty comment..!
Old 10th July 2008, 17:50   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatechamp View Post
Nice nick there...did not know that Dire Straits was so popular still
He mentioned being a cricket fan. Maybe he's a huge fan of Kapil Dev (The moniker Sultan of Swing was given to him by BBC, no less)
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks