Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2008, 12:14   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hi harit from Vintage and classic section

Hi, this is harit, a not so newbie particularly in the vintage and classic section.

Though this site is in existance since some years, I came across this only in May 2008 when told by Mr. Manvendra Singh. I visited immediately, was swept away by some of the enthusiasm and knowledge available on the site. I went through all the threads and found that I could add to given info, give new info and sometimes even be corrected myself. I started posting through Karl, that was convenient, I just had to send him mails and pics and he posted these for me. Slowly a movement started from within BHP that I should sign up, I did and had to figure out how to post. Hope to be up posting by the next week.
I derived a lot of benefits from my "outsider" association with BHP. So, thinking that I should give something back, I send pics, opinions and info to Karl which he posted. I have been in contact with a moderator by mail, have never met any of them and I hope that one day an occasion will arise.
Vintage and classic cars are really in my blood, interest started when I was around 8 years old and cut pictures of vintage cars from Magazines. I have been spotting cars in Mumbai since I was 9, and whenever we travelled out of the city I would look out for cars. In the old days you could spot cars even on the Mumbai-Pune road or on the Mahableshwar road. The further you travelled, the more cars you saw. Now rarely you see something lying by the roadside, you have to search off the beaten track.
BHP benefits to me till date:
1) I got a lot of new contacts like Karl who are enthusiasts, with whom I subsequently shared a lot of material, exchanged mails, shared Beers (Rehan!) and generally had fun:- events, discussions, rally's, meets etc.
2) I found and bought 2 cars, one was pictured on a thread, it caught my eye, was kept in my eye till one member whom I knew earliwer also came with me and we bought it at a good price because the place had to be vacated. 116 Merc 350SE. The second car was on Moles(?) cell. We met at one FCCCI event where I took my 1926 Fiat. During our Nashta at Mocambo he was showing the pic on his cell, I was at another table and saw this from the corner of my eye. Had a better look, contacted the guy and bought it. I have Many very strong connections with the vendor, just one level in between but I did not know that he had this car. A Singer 1948, built in Madras and so UGGGLY that I had to have it.
3) There are many guys on BHP whom I knew before visiting this site but now we have became closer interacting much more often.
4) I have been encouraged to sort out and organise my personal material like photographs, articles, printed matter etc. so that they become accessible even to myself. I now have a number of albums with photographs neatly placed. And my quest for old nostalgic photographs is very active and the collection is growing.

The BHP site is large, covers a whole range of topics but I am more or less restricting myself to Vintage + Classics which is my interest. I have noted that there are many who follow the thread, but do not contribute. It is every ones personal choice but that is why I also do not put too much on the net, I share more with personal mails. It would be nice if more avid enthusiasts were to be more generous. As for me, I like to share as it gives me pleasure, some greater meaning to the hobby and I do get back. Anyone who has querries, wants more info or would like to sit with me and go through my memorabilia is more than welcome. And if it is important I would part with copies, so far I have sent pictures by mail to members with whom I am in contact if there was something of their personal interest.
Lastly, but important, I find it unfortunate that some members feel the need to challenge or feel that they are being challenged over some trivial matter. Please appreciate that for most of us, this is only a hobby, to share and enjoy and not to have issues. If one were to sulk and exclude himself, he would soon be forgotton and he himself loses connections. Whatever I will be posting will be to the best of my knowledge and always subject to correction. I may try to do some research/clarification before posting, but sometimes one cannot be 100% correct. Then one can always have a nice civil dialogue.
My daily driver is a green Amby, 1975 model being used by me since 1980. I fell apart, but is being resurrected, should be up next month. I have a number of Vintages and classic cars and bikes, some running and some dismantled, undergoing restoration. I am fortunate to have the best Packard and Muscle car collection in India, having bought when there was hardly any demand for such cars. Only all cars are not yet up, many are literally being resurrected.
I look forward to increasing the number of friends.

Harit

Last edited by Technocrat : 24th November 2008 at 13:08. Reason: Removed Size & font tags
harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2008, 13:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to the forum Harit!! Good to see u in your own ID atlast!! PLs dont copy paste from other word editors as the [FONT] tags appear rendering the text impossible to read!

Looking forward to more of your great posts!
Old 24th November 2008, 13:11   #3
BHPian

Welcome Harit,

Well now Karl does not have to go "Harit says"

Really enjoy your input, and look forward to many many more informative posts from you.

Regards
Old 24th November 2008, 13:17   #4
Team-BHP Support

Welcome aboard Harit

Karl and I had a few discussions about your 350SE. Apparently, it was adevertised as a 450SEL 6.9 . I was tempted to buy it but I was short of the green stuff (what's new!)
Old 24th November 2008, 13:32   #5
BHPian

Welcome Harit,

Great to have you on Team-bhp, I already read your interesting articles
about Vintage & Classic Cars. Will be happy to hear more interesting info.
from you, please post pics of cars in your collection and old pics from your
albums. Look forward to meet you whenever possible.

Good luck & regards,
Old 24th November 2008, 14:35   #6
Senior - BHPian

Welcome Harit, and about time I should add.

Your knowledge about cars, is unquestionable, hence my insistence on your joining and posting here. Good to know that finally you have succumbed to my (and a few others) constant insisting that you join up here.

Looking forward to to many more informative posts from you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Welcome aboard Harit

Karl and I had a few discussions about your 350SE. Apparently, it was adevertised as a 450SEL 6.9 . I was tempted to buy it but I was short of the green stuff (what's new!)
The 350SE, advertised?? I dont think you are talking about the same car Ajmat.
As far as i know, this car was never advertised anywhere.
Old 24th November 2008, 14:37   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Welcome aboard Harit

Hi Ajmat,
First try at replying a post. This is an exploration of its own kind. In fact I did ask Karl if copy/paste was OK, he suggested to try. Now I have to figure out some other way as I would first like to compose a message and think about it. A number of times I had called Karl requesting him not to post something I sent him because other thoughts crept in. And it is better to give a second thought, once an arrow has left the bow you cannot recall it.
About the 350, this car to my knowledge is not the one advertised earlier, there was a 450 in Gujrat which once had belonged to Rajneesh, now she is in a collection in Pune. That car was rough, upholstry torn, this 350 has a very very good interior and we have started the tinwork. She was in a Garage in Mumbai which shifted.
In India we are never short of greenstuff, or greenbacks, we are always short of red Gandhi's. He He
Old 24th November 2008, 15:03   #8
BANNED

Welcome abroad. The forum just got much richer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Now I have to figure out some other way as I would first like to compose a message and think about it.
You can use good ole notepad for jotting down your replies before posting them in here. None of the tags will be carried over. A simple copy paste from the notepad to in here is all thats required.
Old 24th November 2008, 15:28   #9
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to Team-Bhp Harit

Very interesting intro & I am quoting some really nice points from it

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit
I have noted that there are many who follow the thread, but do not contribute. It is every ones personal choice but that is why I also do not put too much on the net, I share more with personal mails. It would be nice if more avid enthusiasts were to be more generous.
This is precisely what we are waiting for & thanks to you hopefully more will follow the suit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit
Lastly, but important, I find it unfortunate that some members feel the need to challenge or feel that they are being challenged over some trivial matter. Please appreciate that for most of us, this is only a hobby, to share and enjoy and not to have issues. If one were to sulk and exclude himself, he would soon be forgotton and he himself loses connections. Whatever I will be posting will be to the best of my knowledge and always subject to correction. I may try to do some research/clarification before posting, but sometimes one cannot be 100% correct. Then one can always have a nice civil dialogue.
Another very important observation which will help us increase the overall knowledge about these beauties
Old 25th November 2008, 09:39   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Welcome aboard Harit. Now my post count drops by half

We look forward to learning more and more, and ogling at your superb collection of photos.

Regarding the 116s, one was advertised as a 450SEL 6.9 in Pune, and has always been in Pune. It belongs to a friend, who also has another 450, according to me the only 2 450s in Pune. I dont know about any Gujarat/Rajneesh 450 in Pune. There are a couple of other 116s though.
Old 25th November 2008, 10:10   #11
BHPian

Hello Harit, Welcome to the family!!!
Now you have a medium of interacting and making more friends.
Enjoy your stay.
C Ya.
Old 25th November 2008, 10:57   #12
BHPian

Its nice to have you here sir, looking forward for some more details and pics about your cars and some of the cars that havent been mentioned yet on this forum..
( I see your lancia everyday. its nicely covered and kept. )
Old 25th November 2008, 12:51   #13
Senior - BHPian

Welcome Harit uncle. Finaly you decided to Get your own Id and help us understand and learn better. Looking forward to some great Posts by you.
Old 11th December 2008, 13:21   #14
Team-BHP Support

Hi Harit,

Thats a great intro. Glad that you finally signed up (albeit after a lot of coaxing )

Its great to see a member who contributes because they wish to give back to the community. A lot of members have signed up stating this as the reason, and hopefully more will follow suit.

Will surely meet for those elusive beers sometime soon,
cya
R
Old 11th December 2008, 14:07   #15
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Welcome Harit! Its wonderful to have you posting direct. I have no doubt you will have a rich collection of stories to tell and pictures to share with us all. Perhaps you could start a Packards in India thread to which other Packard fans like me can add.
DKG is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks