Team-BHP > Introduce yourself

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2008, 15:28   #1
BHPian

Trio of Our Mercs.

First of all my big hello and greetings to every body here on this wonderful forum and many thanks to the moderators for doing such a splendid job in running this site.

As suggested by a fellow BHPian, I have decided to post pictures of the cars my wife and my self have here in U.K and which are our normal day to day car and a week end car.
Though there is nothing exceptional but I feel they are sensible cars and I love every one of them and enjoy the best they have got to offer.

As somebody in my early 30's, I consider my self extremely lucky and blessed to be fortunate enough to have these cars.

I will start the thread with my wife's Mercedes S class. Its a 320 cdi 2007 model. Its the 2nd Mercedes we bought. The first one being my E 280 CDI avantgarde (2006 model). The last car in our trio of Mercedes is our latest car which is Merc SL 350 (2008 model). SL is our week end car or driven sometimes when sun is out, which is a rare occurrence here in U.K

Coming back to my wife's S class, we decided to buy the S 320 cdi after the excellent service I experienced from Mercedes after buying my E class from them. The E has been a great companion and in almost 28 months since I have bought her, she has done almost 26000 miles and has not missed a single beat.

To start the ball rolling here are a few pictures of the S class.

Next I will put some pictures of My E 280 Cdi... I am sorry it would not be today but will try to do it as soon as I can..
If anybody would like me to take a picture of the car from any particular angle then please let me know I will try to do that.
Attached Thumbnails
Trio of Our Mercs.-merc-05.jpg  

Trio of Our Mercs.-merc-06.jpg  

Trio of Our Mercs.-merc-08.jpg  

Trio of Our Mercs.-merc-10.jpg  

Trio of Our Mercs.-merc-11-2.jpg  

Trio of Our Mercs.-merc-11.jpg  

Trio of Our Mercs.-merc-14.jpg  

Trio of Our Mercs.-merc-15.jpg  

Trio of Our Mercs.-merc-16-2.jpg  

Trio of Our Mercs.-merc-16.jpg  

Trio of Our Mercs.-merc-18.jpg  

Trio of Our Mercs.-merc-09.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by Technocrat : 15th December 2008 at 15:40. Reason: Removed Font tags
Old 15th December 2008, 20:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hey welcome to Team-Bhp
Amazing collection you've got. Some pics of the SL and the E would do more justice to the title of the thread.
Old 15th December 2008, 21:05   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Well no_limit... you've certainly gone all the way!
Welcome to Team-BHP!
Old 15th December 2008, 21:25   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Hey welcome to Team-Bhp
Amazing collection you've got. Some pics of the SL and the E would do more justice to the title of the thread.
Many thanks... Sure the pictures of SL and E will follow soon...You have got one of my favourite Indian Car (ref Your Laal Pari )
Old 15th December 2008, 21:28   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Well no_limit... you've certainly gone all the way!
Welcome to Team-BHP!
Many Thanks...well all the way would have been "SLR Mclarane" ( that's me just being greedy)
Old 15th December 2008, 22:22   #6
Team-BHP Support

Welcome aboard

I was born and brought up 20 miles down the M5/A449! Which part of Brum do you lurk around ?
Old 15th December 2008, 22:32   #7
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to the forum. Why not put a full intro about yourself telling us more about what you do etc.. That would be great.

That S Class looks nice and I like those AMG wheels. Waiting for picturse of your other Mercs. Take a look at the Rules as well to see how the forum works
Old 16th December 2008, 00:45   #8
Senior - BHPian

Awesome pics buddy! It's looking pristine. Waiting for pics of the SL....

Last edited by Jayabusa : 16th December 2008 at 00:47.
Old 16th December 2008, 01:26   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_limit View Post
Many thanks... Sure the pictures of SL and E will follow soon...You have got one of my favourite Indian Car (ref Your Laal Pari )
Thanks Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_limit View Post
Many Thanks...well all the way would have been "SLR Mclarane" ( that's me just being greedy)
I'd say something better.
A Mclaren SLR black edition.
Old 16th December 2008, 02:02   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Welcome aboard

I was born and brought up 20 miles down the M5/A449! Which part of Brum do you lurk around ?
Edgbaston..M5..Well I call it world's biggest car park
Old 16th December 2008, 02:38   #11
BHPian

Hay mate ,
Great cars you got !! Just Love the wheels on your S !!
Just one question , Why all merc ? I just want to know what made you choose the merc SL over ALL the other options you got in the UK ??

Note from Mods : Please try to use punctuation properly. Take a look at this thread for details. Thanks.

Last edited by Rehaan : 16th December 2008 at 12:08. Reason: Please see note in post.
Old 16th December 2008, 03:18   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Thanks Buddy

I'd say something better.
A Mclaren SLR black edition.
Mclaren SLR black edition. I never knew if there is a black edition in SLR, have you got any link where I can find more information about this car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayabusa View Post
Awesome pics buddy! It's looking pristine. Waiting for pics of the SL....
Well credit of this post goes to you mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Welcome to the forum. Why not put a full intro about yourself telling us more about what you do etc.. That would be great.

That S Class looks nice and I like those AMG wheels. Waiting for picturse of your other Mercs. Take a look at the Rules as well to see how the forum works
Many thanks. I must congratulate you and other moderators on maintaining this wonderful forum.
The AMG wheels are 19inch. I have found that these wheels have made the ride slightly stiffer to the stock 17 Inch ones.My personal opinion is to avoid larger wheels on a day to day car. ( lesson Learnt )

Your suggestion about a full intro is welcome and I would definately do it when I post pictures of my other cars.

Last edited by Rehaan : 16th December 2008 at 12:10. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making multiple consecutive posts in the same thread.
Old 16th December 2008, 16:07   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibhu_f430 View Post
Hay mate ,
Great cars you got !! Just Love the wheels on your S !!
Just one question , Why all merc ? I just want to know what made you choose the merc SL over ALL the other options you got in the UK ??

Note from Mods : Please try to use punctuation properly. Take a look at this thread for details. Thanks.
Hello, Many thanks for your kind appreciation..
When we decided to go for our 3rd car, which were to be primarily a week end or out doors car, the criteria was to go for an Understated 2 door convertible/coupe which is comfortable and having owned 2 mercs and being completely satisfied with the level of servicing from the merc people, SL was an oblivious choice. However we did have a look at a few other cars in the same price bracket of around £ 70k OTR.
The other cars we short listed were Porsche 911 Carrera Conv, BMW 630i conv, Jaguar XKR 4.2V8 conv, and Maserati Granturismo 4.2 V8.

1)BMW 630i conv: The reason we did not go for this car was that I have never found BMW’s to be a comfortable cars. (no offence to any BMW owner) No doubt 630i has got good handling qualities but to be honest I needed a car for a relaxing week end and not a track day car. So the tightly sprung 6 series was out.
2)Maserati Granturismo: Though it was costing £12k more than my initial budget but the moment I looked at the actual car my heart fell for it. The looks and the sound was intoxing. But the biggest drawback was the gearbox. It was not as seamless as you would expect in such a wonderful car. Moreover somehow I couldn’t find an ideal seating position to fit my 6ft1inch frame in the drivers seat. In spite of best of my efforts and the guys at the showroom I couldn’t find that relaxing seating position. And on top of it all my wife didnt like the style of Granturismo according to her the car was not as “understated” as she would want our car to be. Inspite of my best of efforts and convincing I could not make her to change her mind. So to keep my wife I had to leave the car. (Could not have done otherway around only after 1 year of marriage ) So unfortunately after a lot of heartache and deliberation I had to say no to Maserati. But somewhere in my heart I can still feel the pain.
3)Jaguar XKR: Could not find any fault with this car. It ticked every box on our wish list but some how did not feel that special. It was every thing we wanted but no more. Then a friend of mine who has a XF was not at all happy with the service level of the local dealer. May be this gave me an “excuse” to steer myself away from a brand which has a stigma of an “old man’s car” attached to it.
4)Porsche 911 Carrera Conv: Well for me there is and will always be only one 911 to own and that is a GT2, but unfortunately that was way out of our budget. However had I not been so steadfast about GT2 then I would have surely gone for 911 carrera Conv instead of SL 350.

I also considered Audi R8 but a long waiting list steered me away from it. Also it was costing £ 15k more than my budget, which I would have managed to squeeze had it not been for waiting list which runs into months.
So after much deliberation and lots of sleepless nights, “n” number of test drives and showroom visits of the above mentioned contenders I decided to go for SL 350.
I think it’s the familiarity with the brand, a very good relation I have with Mercedes dealer and a sizeable discount (yes I managed a discount on the then newly launched SL class ) tilted the decision in favour of SL.

However there was one other contender which propped up when I went to take the delivery of my SL. It’s the Merc CL 500. Now I have got my sights set on CL and hopefully and God willing it will be the next car I will have when ever it would be the time to migrate from E 280.

Last edited by ajmat : 16th December 2008 at 17:45.
Old 17th December 2008, 01:45   #14
BHPian

Hi All,
Here are some pictures of the SL 350. The lattest to grace the trio, unfortunately this is the least used.
In one of the earlier posts I have already detailed our reasons for going for this car.
However after having this car for last few months I would like to say that the looks of this car is very controversial and I for one feel that the older SL was a much better looking and balanced car.
Next to come are the pictures of my daily car which is a E 280 Cdi Avantgarde (2006 model)
Attached Thumbnails
Trio of Our Mercs.-ext-1.jpg  

Trio of Our Mercs.-ext-2.jpg  

Trio of Our Mercs.-ext-4.jpg  

Trio of Our Mercs.-ext-5.jpg  

Trio of Our Mercs.-ext-6.jpg  

Trio of Our Mercs.-ext-9.jpg  

Trio of Our Mercs.-ext-10.jpg  

Trio of Our Mercs.-ext-11.jpg  

Trio of Our Mercs.-ext-12.jpg  

Trio of Our Mercs.-int-1.jpg  

Trio of Our Mercs.-int-2.jpg