Team-BHP > Introduce yourself

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2008, 17:15   #1

Hello World!

Hi there - I'm Anantharaman staying in Delhi. My very first car was a toy BMW which I used to tug along with a rope on one end. My neighbour's Mercedes (which was remote controlled) used to be the in thing then. We used to own a Premiere Padmini in those good old days back in Kolkata. Once we shifted to Delhi about 15 years back the Padmini went and we got a spanking new Maruti 800 A/C. That was the in-thing then. Many many years later, in Nov 2006 I've finally managed to put together enough to get a new car all to myself. A WagonR Vxi. Though my dad does most of the driving I take it to the mechanic every other month to replace a part he's invariably broken. I now know the tail light costs 900 bucks, the back molding is made of plastic and costs 4500 to replace. If anyone pours toner ink cartridge and manages to burn your roof, it costs 2500 to set that right! The clutch costs 3500 (4000) updated as of Decemeber 3rd '08. The manual promises a fuel efficiency of 15 to 20 Kmph. However, I manage to get a max 11 Kmph city driving. So there .. that's me . Oh, and I work as the IT Manager in a Research firm and try to make enough to keep my first vehicle in one piece in spite of my dad!! I've been conned into buying a cleaner toner thing the last time I tanked up - for all of 300 bucks (marked price 600 INR) .. thought it was a great deal. One Sunday trying to remove all those scratches and I gave up
Old 24th December 2008, 18:46   #2
BHPian

Anantharaman

Welcome to T BHP. I am sure we all feel proud of every addition to the "club".

I can understand the kind of feeling that you would have everytime your dad has given you the opportunity to change / fix something or the other. I love the WR Vxi. I recently drove one for like 900 kms and was a breeze to drive.

Hope you post some pics of you ride sometime.
Old 25th December 2008, 11:55   #3

Yup .. the first scratch was heart wrenching! I took it up to the service station immediately. Surprisingly, the chap there asked me to wait for some more. I find it surprising how casual the approach is - we're actually encouraged not to worry about small bumps and scratches. I am quite crestfallen every time I pass my vehicle and find it ridden with yet more scratches and bumps. I wonder whether there's anything that can be done about it? On another note, between Nov'06 and Dec'08 - roughly two years plus, the vehicle has notched up some 11,000 Kms so far. However, I've had to change the clutch three time already. The last time this December beginning - I took it out for a spin again last week and I find the pickup is not good. I called up the Service person - he said probably the clutch needs to be changed again! I have a strong feeling I'm being taken for a joy ride by the service staff. However, I'm helpless - I really have only his word to look forward to. Is there anything else I should be looking for, if the pickup is not good? The car groans when I drive at 80 Kmph on fifth gear - its pretty upsetting
Old 25th December 2008, 14:13   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand_30 View Post
Yup .. the first scratch was heart wrenching! I took it up to the service station immediately. Surprisingly, the chap there asked me to wait for some more. I find it surprising how casual the approach is - we're actually encouraged not to worry about small bumps and scratches. ....... However, I've had to change the clutch three time already. The last time this December beginning - I took it out for a spin again last week and I find the pickup is not good. I called up the Service person - he said probably the clutch needs to be changed again!.........
Yes, I know the feeling after the first scratch. But it is possible the service station guy told you to wait because it is not always possible to touch up a single scratch and some service centres (the dealer run and manufacturer authorised ones) insist on charging for the whole panel even for a single small scratch. That's the case at my dealer's servie centre. And painting the entire panel is expensive - will cost the same for one scratch or ten.

Regarding the clutch and other problems, has your warranty expired? You mentioned it is two years old - isn't Maruti's warranty at least that much?
Old 25th December 2008, 19:54   #5

The Service chap said the clutch is not a part of the standard Warranty. I read somewhere that the clutch assembly is usually changed only after 60000 Kms. Wonder why I have had to change it thrice within the first 11000 Kms. Something doesn't seem right!
Old 26th December 2008, 19:31   #6
BHPian

You are definetely being taken for a ride on the clutch plate unless your dad drives the car with clutch being pressed partially all the time.

That might also explain your low FE.

But this is just an assumption. you might wanna check with the works manager on an explanation for changing the clutch plate so often. Write to Maruti udyog and ask for an explanation. You should also call the Toll free no that maruti provided and tell them the problem. There is a good chance that they will investigate.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed