Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2009, 01:24   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Welcome aboard Christoph, thats a nice looking Citroen you have. We have a fair number of them in India, here is one belonging to a fellow member.
Citroen Traction Avant 1946 - Dussey's Photo Gallery - Team-BHP

A car very similar to yours regularly attends the local rallies
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/415927-post72.html

Thank you for the links to other "Traction" owners. In fact, surfing this wonderful website, I was suprirsed to see how many old Citroëns there are in India.

The two pictures you posted are of the "light" model of the Citroën 11 (whereas mine is a "normale", slightly longer and roomier). It is interesting that most of the "Tractions" I've seen on this site are made in France and not in England (special models were assembled in Slough for the UK market). I would have imagined the contrary due to the colonial link.

Soon, I'll post more pictures. Maybe someone can direct me to the proper sub-forum to share these with a wider group of classic car internet surfers...

Last edited by Rehaan : 9th March 2009 at 04:27. Reason: [/quote] tag added to close the quote.
Old 9th March 2009, 12:15   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Benvenuto. Hai una bella macchina.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christoph Baker View Post
My name is Christoph Baker.
Just to let you know, Sam Kapasi is a little bit Italian! :-)
Old 9th March 2009, 12:29   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christoph Baker View Post
It is interesting that most of the "Tractions" I've seen on this site are made in France and not in England (special models were assembled in Slough for the UK market). I would have imagined the contrary due to the colonial link.
Well a few states were under Portugeuse and French rule. Many cars came into Pondicherry in South India, an erstwhile French colony.

So how does one distinguish a Slough biult model externally?
Old 11th March 2009, 00:37   #19

It is quite easy to identify a Slough built Traction:
- the steering wheel's on the right, of course
- the two "chevron" signs (those upside down "v's") in the front are mounted behind the grill, while on the French models they are mounted on top.

- the dashboard is made of wood (beautiful!), while the modèles français are made of tin

- the seats are leather, whereas the French cars have cloth, and (rarer) velvet seats (in the large "15" models).

- finally the Slough built Tractions could be purchased in many different colours, while 95% of the French ones were black originally.

Hope that answers the basic question
Old 11th March 2009, 13:09   #20
BHPian

Welcome aboard, Christoph.

Nice ride there you've got, my compliments.

A few observations of mine on the ongoing Citroen Traction Avant variants' discussion, if I may.

Right hand drives were also made in France.

The Slogh built had different instruments - Smiths (or were they by Jaeger?) instead of the French Veglia.

The electricals were 12 volts on the British-built.

Most of the electrical components were by Lucas, including the lamp lenses.

Certain models of the TA were neither produced nor sold in England.

The grille of the Paris-built cars were not chromed in some of the model years. The Slough-built ones were not chromed for just one year, probably 1935 (can confirm).

The Chevrons were probably moved behind the grille only after the war.

The bumpers had subtle differences as well between the two factories.

And here's the best piece. Not many know this I've generally found -

Citroen Traction Avants were also produced (regular bodies) in Forest, Belgium and Cologne, Germany!

Cheers,

Prabal

PS: Why don't you move in to the main vintage and classics threads now? And to the other threads also, of course, as you like. Welcome again.

Last edited by Prabal : 11th March 2009 at 13:11.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks