Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2004, 17:50   #1

Hi, I have been following this site for some time now and finally joined in. I have been looking for a new car and that has made me auto aware. I have an iKON whose engine failed after 2.5 Yrs and 30K Kms and ford not ready to take the ownership for that same saying that the car is out of warrenty. So be aware.... BUY A FORD ON YOUR OWN RISK!!!!
Old 14th May 2004, 17:58   #2
RJK
Senior - BHPian

first of all welcome aboard...
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ] I have an iKON whose engine failed after 2.5 Yrs and 30K Kms and ford not ready to take the ownership for that same saying that the car is out of warrenty. So be aware.... BUY A FORD ON YOUR OWN RISK!!!!
whoa! thats bad ! so what did u do abt it ?
Old 14th May 2004, 18:01   #3
Team-BHP Support

WOW, engine gone in just 2.5 years!! What happened exactly? Can you ive some details as to what the reason was for the engine to quite. And what really happened? Siezed? Electrical gremlins?

You should write in to Autocar India with this problem. Maybe they can help you out, or atleast bring this to the attention of other current and prospective buyers.

BTW, welcome to T-BHP!
Old 14th May 2004, 18:10   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Pankaj,

Sorry to hear about your Ikon experience. Echoing Rtech, I am dying to hear more specifics about the engine failure. Was your car maintained as per the recommendations? At an authorised service station? Any damages?

GTO
Old 14th May 2004, 18:56   #5

Thanks.
Actually this was a single hand driven (Only me) well maintained car following the recommendations by Ford to the last word. I started having problems with pickup and took the car to the workshop (Harpreet ford in Delhi). They kept on doing research and the service manager declared the car as perfectly fit. Though menawhile they changed the coolent bottle, spart plugs, injectors, fuel pump etc, but nothing worked. I took the issue with Ford India, wrote so many letters and final after eight months they sent the car to a better equiped workshop. There they declared that the compression is low and engine overhauling is required.

The car never met any major accidents or anything of that sort. So the car is still running but the power that it delivers is worse then a 1998 M800 loaded with 4 passengers and AC on. After many telephone calls and letters, ford said that they will replace the engine block but only 50% will be worn by them. In ford's term that additional 50% burden on me is approx 50-55K.

Couple of more Quality products from Ford:--

The Clutch plate was changed after one year at my cost (i owned Maruti for six years before going for iKON and never had any issues like this)

Recently the battery was changed (again in Ford workshop). After 3 weeks the car refused to start, the reason- two cells were weak in the battery. Ford is still not ready to replace the battery.

The car is still with me. Do not know what to do with this piece of cramp. Cann't even sell it. Your idea of going to autocar will probably help and save many potential loosers.
Old 14th May 2004, 19:28   #6
Team-BHP Support

damn Pankaj, Ford, and their dealers, have certainly taken you for a ride! Don't forget about this matter. You may not get any financial compensation from Ford, but just for your own personal satisfaction, write a stinker of a letter to Ford India, marking a copy to the Ford HQ in USA, copy to Autocar India, BS Motoring, Overdrive and any others you can think of.

If, as you say, you did exactly as Ford and their dealers told you, they have no right not to replace or fix (the latter more likely) the engine.

Keep the faith man! Fight the power...and all that jazz
Old 14th May 2004, 19:34   #7

Can you guys help me with some references in Autocar/BS Motors/Overdrive etc.
Old 14th May 2004, 19:43   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Pankaj,

This stinks! Its ridiculous of Ford India to offer you only a 50% compensation on the repair cost. You shouldnt care if the car has exceeded the warranty period or not. If you have maintained it only at a Ford authorised showroom, theres no way on Gods earth that the engine should fail within 30,000 kms.

Just the fact that Ford have agreed to offer you 50% of the repairs indicates that they are at fault. If theres one thing I have learnt in life, its that when you are being wronged - BE LOUD about it. Check out my experience with Ichibaan Honda and how they tried to cheat me. I turned that entire showroom upside down. Not only did I get compensation from them, Autocarindia published the true story behind Ichibaan for 100,000 people to read.

Get in touch with Autocarindias helpline. You need to be a subscriber for that, but give them a call. Explain your entire dilemma to them and I am certain they will help you in this matter. Its time car companies realised that Indian buyers wont be victimised.

GTO
Old 14th May 2004, 20:23   #9
Senior - BHPian

Well, i agree wit GTO and rtech and i also feel that u should move to the consumer court and ask for a compensation. one of my uncle had similar problems and had moved to the court..
Old 14th May 2004, 20:24   #10
Senior - BHPian

BTW Welcome to Team BHP
Old 14th May 2004, 20:43   #11
F50
Senior - BHPian

Hey datz prety bad Pankaj car only clocked 30000 kms n such terrible problem .... As GTO suggested dont let this issue just go buy better take some strict action dude....
Ne ways welcome to Team BHP
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks