Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2009, 17:29   #1
BHPian

Vintage Mercedes Benz fan from OZ.

Hi all!,I'm in Brisbane Australia and got drawn to this site while searching the internet for pictures and sites concerning Vintage mercedes. I am a dyed in the wool Merc fanatic to the point I drive as my daily driver a 1969 300SEL 6.3 .
i usually frequent The International M-100 Group for those who want to know more about the best fastest cars of their type in the world..Cheers!!!!
Old 2nd May 2009, 15:12   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

As they say in India, G'day and howdy mate!

Oh no wait, that's not what they say in India. I'm confused.

Nevermind what they say, I'll say welcome to Team-BHP. You will find many Mercedes fanatics here I am sure who you can share your experiences with.

You would find a lot of information on our vintage section. And do pass by our rules section too.

Cheers,
Sam
Old 2nd May 2009, 15:31   #3
Senior - BHPian

G'day Starman. Good to have ya on the forum mate.

Wow a W109-1969 300sel 6.3!! and its a daily drive!! Great mate.(Drool-Drool!!)

You will find many a Mercedes fan on this forum.

Could you please post some pictures of our car? And while you're at it please take time and visit our board rules. It'll get you familiarized with the forum.

Expect to see more inputs from you.

Tally Ho!!
Old 2nd May 2009, 17:21   #4
BHPian

Hi V16,I have hundreds of pics of it... I wonder if any went to India?. There were 798 Right hand drive 6.3's built. 298 came here to OZ ,some went to the UK ,from there many made their way here eventually and the rest of the RHD cars went to South Africa (very few ) and various places in Asia.
Here is a pic of my 6.3( Blue/grey one in front) on the road outside broken Hill NSW with a Friends Silver 6.3 and Bronze 6.9. We were on our way around Australia hence the road grime. Both 6.3's were delivered new in the UK then shipped out to Australia at some time in the early 1970's.

Last edited by Rehaan : 2nd May 2009 at 18:35. Reason: Please see the note that has been put at the end of your post by the Support Team.
Old 2nd May 2009, 17:41   #5

Oleright geezer .. howdy to you from Team BHP..
Old 2nd May 2009, 17:55   #6
BHPian

Welcome on the forum mate.

Hope to see some photos soon.

Peace,
Karan
Old 2nd May 2009, 19:45   #7
Senior - BHPian

You just made my day with a pic mate. More More!!!
Old 4th May 2009, 11:57   #8
BHPian

i spent the morning tuning another 6.3 for a mate. It was built 300 cars before mine in 1968 ( 6.3 and 6.9 owners all get to know when our cars travelled down the production lines as there were constant changes made to the cars over the production run )
It was originally ordered by Bob jane ,the Australian tyre magnate ,who was going to race in the Touring car series for the 1969 year but the rules forbade it ( a totla of 500 cars had to be sold before one marque was eligible) so he sold to a Dealer who int turn sold it to a Sir Frank Sharpe here in Brisbane. At 100,000 miles it is a very tight car and very very fast being an early version. Later Versions were slightly detuned for customer safety. The color is known in Stuttgart as Corperate Blue ,this was because Bob Jane was going to race the car with support from the local Mercedes Franchise although Mercedes had not been involved as such since the 1955 Disaster.
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Mercedes Benz fan from OZ.-bbq-drews-001.jpg  

Vintage Mercedes Benz fan from OZ.-bbq-drews-005.jpg  

Old 4th May 2009, 12:19   #9
BHPian

Welcome Dear,

You surely have posted a few really cool pics & surely would do anything to sit behind the wheels of these babes.

Lucky you are, however just a quick question as you are a Merc fan & me a BMW follower , how would you rate Merc in comparision to BMW (would be great to know from some one who has this kind of experience)

Till then, Enjoy your stay at Team BHP, go through rules

Cheers Mate

Last edited by Rehaan : 4th May 2009 at 20:47. Reason: gr8 = great. Please type in full words as per the Team-BHP rules. Thanks.
Old 4th May 2009, 15:12   #10

6.3 ? OMG must be a gas guzzler.. Ain't it ?
Old 11th May 2009, 11:45   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamtheLeo View Post
Welcome Dear,

You surely have posted a few really cool pics & surely would do anything to sit behind the wheels of these babes.

Lucky you are, however just a quick question as you are a Merc fan & me a BMW follower , how would you rate Merc in comparision to BMW (would be great to know from some one who has this kind of experience)

Till then, Enjoy your stay at Team BHP, go through rules

Cheers Mate
I have owned and restored 12 BMW's too ,including a BMW M6 . None of them are as fast or as comfortable as the 6.3 ,but then the 6.3 was the most expensive car in the world when it was new and mine is still capable of it's 0-60 mph (101kph ) in 6.5 seconds . 40 years ago only specially prepared Ferraris were as fast in production car terms and today not too many modern cars are as fast or faster .Unless you have the money to spend on an Audi R8 or Bugatti ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampai View Post
6.3 ? OMG must be a gas guzzler.. Ain't it ?
Yes...city driving is 6mpg and with driving on the open road at 100kph I can just make 20 Mpg. But I never manage to keep the speed down much so it's a lot less normally. I have to save up if I plan a trip ( i went around Australia last year) to cope with the cost of fuel which has thankfully dropped a lot in recent months.

Last edited by Rehaan : 11th May 2009 at 19:41. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making multiple consecutive posts in the same thread. Thanks.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks