Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2005, 18:26   #1
BHPian

Swift - My experience

Hey Guys,

Got the Swift VXi (without ABS) delivered on 9th June from Delhi dealership. Azure Grey.

The Background.
I was a sailor for 12 years before settling ashore. Am not a hardcore auto enthusiast but like to keep myself updated on what is happening around me. Had started with a M800 and then moved onto a Santro LE 6 years back. With very infrequent breaks from sailing, never quite got around upgrading my car as the Santro served me well. However, for the past year or so with Dad needing a fulltime car, I was driving his old 1988 Padmini and looking around for a good option.
NHC was way over budget, found the Fiat aftersales service rather pathetic, found the Accent long in the tooth and finally decided to settle with a 1.3 Ikon till..got a mail from the co-brother that Maruti was launching the swift in India. I remember seeing the car in Singapore a few months back and liked it. So I decided to wait.
Took a test drive on the 4th of June and found the car very able. Wife was home waiting to complete her 40 days of 'rest' after delivering our first newborn (baby boy - we call him Paramvir) and took her out for a spin too. She, too, liked the car save the 'rear seat looks small' comment!!
Finally, we decided to go in for the Swift just when we were a hair's breadth away from picking-up a Ikon Flair.

Delivery.
Discussed with my co-brother re the car. He asked me to 'wait till the 10th' as he was keeping a bit busy with work. On the 9th, he took me out for a drive to go buy some 'stuff' and instead diverted his NHC to Marketing Times showroom near Nehru Place and took delivery of the swift in 30 minutes flat. I was recovering for the next 24 hours still trying to come to terms as the guys from Competent had asked me to wait till September, at least!
Being a semi-gift (I work for the co-brother as his Technical Director), I am not aware what the EMI's are or the premium that he paid for the car. Once I find that out, will keep the post updated. We got the launch price, that I am aware of as the Invoice is with me.

Impressions.
Remember reading somewhere on the forums that the Swift interiors are even worse than a 10 year old M800! Helloo...knock..knock..anybody home!!!
Well, they are not the best in the market but surely better than a lot. I was quite bored of seeing the neutral grey of my Santro and the swift's black does me good.
Riding position is very comfortable (I am 6' tall) and so are the front seats. The rear seats - wish they a 5 cms more legroom...but since the car is for self, wife and the kid 95% of the times, Chelgaa. Otherwise, the interiors are well appointed and look nice and well fitted.

Aircon is very efficient. I registered a DAT (Grill temp) of 11.8 degs while the outside temp was 42 degs (this after exactly 3 minutes of driving at 30~45 kmph - no stopping). Glove comptt. is terribly small and Papers+First Aid Kit+Flashlight+4 CDs+fresh Ones small packing just about fill it. This could have been better.
I like the storage just ahead of the gearstick - open box. Simple and efficient - handles my Cellphone, PDA, a few CDs, House keys, Sunglasses, smokes and a Zippo lighter well - no complains there.

Accessories Fitted
Had picked-up a Sony CD/MP3 head unit form Dubai a few weeks ago so utilized that (cost INR 6.4K) with 4 x 6.inches Sony speakers (from the Sony Authorized Pit-Stop in Noida) @ INR 1600 per pair (MRP 1700). Pin type gear lock from Vision (very neat fitting indeed - can hardy see it!) for INR 1100 and Guardian Centre Locking from AutoCop for INR 3500 sans the motion detector. Mud flaps were not available then and still have not been able to find time to locate a set. Nice floor mats (Grey, very thick) for INR 525 from local chappie in Noida.
Currently do not foresee any thing else that I might add - (Are digital maps available for North India? My Ipaq is literally asking for a Tom-Tom GPS kit!).

All in all, a very satisfactory set of wheels. Glad I chose them over the Ikon Flair (Nice car IMHO but a little Old in design - Swift on the other hand is a new design and will stay fresh for another few years to come. By then, the EMIs will be over and with depreciation benefit racked in, I intent do do another switch).

PS: Have done 700 Kms and have obtained 10.7 in city with Aircon ON full time.

Cheers
Old 27th June 2005, 18:34   #2
Team-BHP Support

welkome and a good choice for your need and indeed a good car.. only thing i would crib would be the slim rubbers.. not my cupatea

cheers
Jaggu
Old 27th June 2005, 18:40   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsailor
PS: Have done 700 Kms and have obtained 10.7 in city with Aircon ON full time.

Cheers
Welcome dude. Iam sure you will enjoy your stay at Team-bhp. How did you calculated the mileage of your car?
Old 27th June 2005, 19:04   #4
Senior - BHPian

oye, welcome to team-bhp and congrats on your new set of wheels, yaar...

we all request you to belt up, switch off your mobile phones, and enjoy your flight on team-bhp...he..he..

by the way, nice review...and 10.7 kmpl is okay.... expect your ride to deliver between 10-12 kmpl under normal driving, and 15-16 kmpl on the highways...

once again, welcome dude....
Old 27th June 2005, 22:11   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Xsailor. Have fun with that lil' car. Do post a few pix of the interiors
Old 28th June 2005, 10:42   #6
AGP
BHPian

Good review...keep posting your experience..
Old 28th June 2005, 10:47   #7
BHPian

Hey 10.7 is a bit low but considering the heat of delhi and AC On all the time, it seems its fair enough, probably increase after first service to 12kmpl
Old 28th June 2005, 12:11   #8
BHPian

decent review...great ride... wish they get the DOHC twin cam swift here...
Old 28th June 2005, 12:39   #9
BHPian

FE calculation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise
How did you calculated the mileage of your car?
As stated earlier, I am not much of an enthusiast but follow the simple procedure.
I ususally top-off at Prem Service (near MC Flyover) with BP Speed. The first topping, I told the guy to stop at the first "auto-stop". Managed 39ltrs. Put the odometer to zero at the same time. 386 kms later, refilled the same way (Stop at "auto-stop") and registered exactly 36.1 ltrs. So 386/36.1=10.7 kms/ltr.
Is the procedure OK? Please lemme know if a better and equally simpler system exists.
Refer the FE, I noticed that I managed to do about 120 kms for the first quarter tank (visually from the Tank gauge) and only 266 kms from that point up to near E! Was it my drving style (I drive steady between 60~70 max and never fllor the gas pedal) or Gauge calibration or the Fuel evaporation due tremendous heat in Delhi (46 degC)?

Await your informed views.

Cheers

Last edited by Xsailor : 28th June 2005 at 12:46.
Old 28th June 2005, 13:51   #10
Team-BHP Support

yes this is the problem with new breed of cars with fuel overflow tanks and valves as well as the auto cut off system at the gas station.. the idea seems good at first thought and if its givig u consistent results.. or try force filling to the brim..
Old 28th June 2005, 15:54   #11
BHPian

Has swift turned out to be as good as it was expected to be. Comments welcome from Swift owners.
One of my friend didnt want to buy it because he felt the interiors are not so good and the fully loaded model is very costly. He went for an Ikon.
Old 28th June 2005, 16:18   #12
BHPian

Swift Expectations - My Rating

Quote:
Originally Posted by readonly
Has swift turned out to be as good as it was expected to be. Comments welcome from Swift owners.
Well, on a expectation rating scale, I would award the Swift 8/10 (just a notch lower than what Autocar has awarded the Swift in their Swift v/s Getz shootout).

As far as choice is concerned, well, different strokes for different folks!

Cheers
Old 30th June 2005, 13:59   #13
Senior - BHPian

Welcome, Xsailor. Its great to hear about ur swift.

There's one thing i'm 99% sure of. This year's Car of the year award will undoubtedly go to the Swift.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks