Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2009, 15:52   #1
BHPian

At last I am in

Hi everybody,

God knows how many times I tried registering here at Team-BHP. Maybe I was doing something really stupid in the "comprehensive" description in the registration page. Anyway it is done now and boy, am I happy .

I am Jackson, a practising company secretary and investment consultant from Trichur, Kerala. It sounds a boring profession and yes, I am somewhat boring. Still, I love cars and likes driving really fast. Hope it is enough qualification to be a true member here.
Old 5th October 2009, 16:45   #2

same thing here was about to give up but finally managed it
Old 5th October 2009, 20:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hi Coolfire,
Your profession surely doesnt sound boring, compared to many of us whom are in IT, we are happy to have a new profession teammate.
Anyway, being from Kerala, is it true its only what I heard that there are no speed limits in Kerala.
And about your car, do you own any, let us know the experience.
Old 6th October 2009, 07:34   #4
BHPian

Yes, I think it is much better than IT. And I am practising independently, which gives lot of freedom in work.

There are speed restrictions in Kerala, like any place in India. Yet, you are seldom caught because to my knowledge most of the speed detectors with police are not working. And the congested roads DO act like automatic speed breakers, at least on most highways.

I now own a Ford Ikon TDCi. It is no speed monster, but good enough for roads here.
Old 9th October 2009, 10:22   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolFire View Post
Yes, I think it is much better than IT. And I am practising independently, which gives lot of freedom in work.
Welcome CoolFire! Enjoy your stay and hope this makes your work easier for you

Quote:
There are speed restrictions in Kerala, like any place in India. Yet, you are seldom caught because to my knowledge most of the speed detectors with police are not working. And the congested roads DO act like automatic speed breakers, at least on most highways.
Really? I have gone over 120kmph on kerala highways (at nights mostly) and no one has stopped me yet. Ha! I seriously do not think there are any restrictions towards speed limits even during the day. KerCops are lazy who like pulling over only slow beaten up cars or bikes.
Old 9th October 2009, 12:02   #6
Team-BHP Support

Welcome aboard CoolFire. Drive fast but drive safe and always belt up ! Thats what is expected of us

Enough gyaan.... hope to see you around in the forums. But do take a look at the announcements. See ya !!!
Old 9th October 2009, 12:23   #7

Quote:
Yet, you are seldom caught because to my knowledge most of the speed detectors with police are not working.
I thought that too and in many ways it's true - there are apparently only 2 speed detectors working in Kerala right now.

Well I was caught by a speed camera going about 9 kmph above the speed limit a week before I left India (June 09). It was an on the spot fine of Rs.300.

I thought it strange that a truck and a bike coming from the opposite direction flashed their lamps at me several times. My dad told me there's probably a check point of some sort - I replied saying that's always for commercial vehicles.

Well, about 500m later, I saw the highway patrol with some additional equipment outside. I saw the flashes from the equipment (similar to a camera flash) and that confirmed that it was a speed camera.

Was pulled over, as was the car behind (they were caught doing 83kmph). You cannot imagine the glee on their faces as they pulled us over - I've never seen cops look so happy - they literally couldn't stop smiling. They showed us a photo of the car with speed on a laptop attached to the speed camera. We paid the Rs.300 and went on.

The other guy was harassed saying that they have the right to suspend his license for a month / 3 months because he was above 80kmph. But they let him off too with a fine.

They had also caught a guy on a bike and the police were feeding him this dialog (translated): "We can somehow understand people in cars going above the speed limit, but you: where on earth are you planning to go at those speeds on a bike on wet roads?"
Old 9th October 2009, 12:40   #8

Another Speedster from God's own country. Welcome aboard Coolfire!!!
Old 12th October 2009, 11:45   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocreative View Post
I have gone over 120kmph on kerala highways (at nights mostly) and no one has stopped me yet. Ha! I seriously do not think there are any restrictions towards speed limits even during the day. KerCops are lazy who like pulling over only slow beaten up cars or bikes.
Thats the usual case. But there are restrictions, at least in Law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Welcome aboard CoolFire. Drive fast but drive safe and always belt up ! Thats what is expected of us

Enough gyaan.... hope to see you around in the forums. But do take a look at the announcements. See ya !!!
Thanks Eddy. Yes, I am kinda person who reads all announcements (my profession needs that )

Quote:
Originally Posted by koshyjohnuk View Post
I thought that too and in many ways it's true - there are apparently only 2 speed detectors working in Kerala right now.

Well I was caught by a speed camera going about 9 kmph above the speed limit a week before I left India (June 09). It was an on the spot fine of Rs.300.
Me too, a couple of times. Both times speed was under 90. Strangely never been caught above 100 !

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-N-V-A-D-E-R View Post
Another Speedster from God's own country. Welcome aboard Coolfire!!!
Thanks. But I do (at least try to) drive safely.
Old 20th October 2009, 12:51   #10

hey can anybody advise me on the bmw BSI .MY RUNNINGS NOT TO MUCH MAX 8000 km /year .have a 320d highline
Old 20th October 2009, 13:27   #11
BHPian

Welcome to the forum Coolfire and driver safe. I enjoy your say in TeamBHP!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks