Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2009, 12:44   #1
Senior - BHPian

Brace yourself - i'm going to bore you to death!

hey there folks,

i'm Anil and i hail from God's own country, specifically from Thrissur - the cultural capital of Kerala. i just turned 34 last month. i work for HP in Bangalore in the capacity of Technical Analyst/Programmer.

i started driving cars since i was 13yrs old in a 1972 HM Ambassador Mark II (with gear shift on the left-hand side of the steering column. my mum tells me when i was 4yrs old i once disengaged the handbrake of my dad's army jeep when he had come home one night and rolled downhill. fortunately it had rained the previous night and the jeep got stuck in the slush! that was my first driving experience

i've been driving for 21yrs now.

i had the good fortune of learning driving the hard way. i had to top-up the radiator, check the fan belts, check tyre pressure, clean the car (inside out), top-up engine oil, clean the carburettor/air filter, check/clean the spark plugs/ distributor cap, change the tyres (scraped my knuckles in the process), check/fix headlamps/park lights/dome light and so on (don't worry, it was not forced upon me - i loved doing it)

only after i had learnt to do all these did i get to lay my hands on the steering wheel and that my friends, was bliss! even today i'll advise anyone to learn driving on a Amby and not in the Swift, Wagon-R and Santros of today. if you can master the Amby, you can drive anything in the world (well, almost).

i've also covered a few thousand kilometers in interstate travel on the bikes i own (3 on KB125 and 2 on the CBZ). in fact, i got the delivery of my CBZ on October 6th 2000 and on October 8th i rode it to Bangalore from Thrissur (474kms) in 14hrs and lot of pain in my backside (couldn't travel more than 55kmph since the bike was new)

other than driving cars and riding bikes, i love watching movies, am a hardcore gamer, build PCs, am a free lance photographer (just bought a Sony HD handycam and started video projects), like reading (fiction/non-fiction), enjoy long trips (as in interstate travel), love gadgets, combat and transport aircrafts, sniper rifles (like the MCRT .300 Tactical or the Remington 700) and so on and so forth.

i love SUVs and hope i can own one soon. my favourite is the Mitsubishi Pajero. i love superbikes too and my favourites are the Honda CBR1000 and the Kawasaki Ninja ZX11. i intend to acquire these in my lifetime!

ever since we got our first car (Getz) in 2006, we've been going on long trips (the most recent being 4days back - Bangalore to Thrissur in 10.5hrs; breakfast in Krishnagiri, lunch in Coimbatore, tea in Thrissur) and i've always referred to Team-BHP for guidance and information.

Team-BHP is an amalgamation of great minds and personalities, a community that shares and cares. i feel honoured to be part of this community and i look forward to learn a lot from all of you here and maybe contribute a bit from my experiences.

thanks again for the opportunity of being part of this elite group of people!

PS: i know that's a lot of information to digest, so i think i'll stop before i get my backside kicked out of here
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2009, 15:32   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hey hey!! Welcome aboard and have loads of fun here. By the way, some of the other folks here (me among them) easily outdo you in terms of boring the reader :P
Old 19th December 2009, 15:46   #3
BHPian

Welcome buddy . Good to see another Thrissur Guy in Bangy
Old 19th December 2009, 15:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

thanks mate.

i did forget to mention that McLaren Mercedes was, is and will be my favourite F1 team (since Mika). stood my ground when everyone was running behind Ferrari. got my own MP4-20
Old 19th December 2009, 17:44   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hi Iron.

Welcome to the team BHP cruse. Really you are an iron man from the age of 13 and that promoted yourself to a wheel and steering man. Good keep up.
Old 19th December 2009, 20:50   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
i had the good fortune of learning driving the hard way. i had to top-up the radiator, check the fan belts, check tyre pressure, clean the car (inside out), top-up engine oil, clean the carburettor/air filter, check/clean the spark plugs/ distributor cap, change the tyres (scraped my knuckles in the process), check/fix headlamps/park lights/dome light and so on (don't worry, it was not forced upon me - i loved doing it)

only after i had learnt to do all these did i get to lay my hands on the steering wheel and that my friends, was bliss! even today i'll advise anyone to learn driving on a Amby and not in the Swift, Wagon-R and Santros of today. if you can master the Amby, you can drive anything in the world (well, almost).

IH

Welcome onboard!

I can relate fully to your experience in getting to drive. Only element I would add was - soping up the drivers (the ones who were in service of the family at different times) and doing many chores normally expected of them an getting them many goddies from the kitchen!

The bit about learning in Amby! Don't have any doubts here! Ones you have mastered the Amby, you can handle anything on wheels and you will never be intimidated by any wheels (except the giants from the pre 1960s)

Wish you a happy experience here!

Best Regards & Drive/Ride safe!

Ram
Old 19th December 2009, 21:09   #7
BHPian

I too work for the same Corp but in chennai
Old 20th December 2009, 19:39   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
thanks mate.

i did forget to mention that McLaren Mercedes was, is and will be my favourite F1 team (since Mika). stood my ground when everyone was running behind Ferrari. got my own MP4-20
You, sir, are a connoisseur! Good for you.
Old 20th December 2009, 21:36   #9
BHPian

Hello IronH4wk,
Welcome to TBHP!

You do have a long list of interests... which camera do you own and how is the sony camcorder (planning to buy one myself in the near future)?

Mika was and is my favourite driver. Don't know why, thought that mika was a better driver than schumi. You know James may in top gear had said mika won the world championship twice beating schumi both times when he was on top of his game! And even schumi has acknowledged that he was a great driver!
Old 20th December 2009, 23:39   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamSaran View Post
which camera do you own and how is the sony camcorder (planning to buy one myself in the near future)?
i've a Canon EOS 300 (35mm) with a 28-80mm f/4-5.6 lens and EOS 400D with a 18-55mm f/4-5.6 lens. planning to buy a 70-200mm f/4L USM, but God knows when because it's an entry level luxury series lens and costs around 65k :(

the handycam i've got is the HDR-SR10E, an entry level FullHD camcorder with a 40GB hard drive. got myself a VCT-60AV along with it (with the handycam controls on the pan handle) for steady recordings. trust me, you'll not go wrong with this combo .

my cameras are an integral part of my trips
Old 21st December 2009, 09:08   #11
BHPian

TWO SLRs and a CAMCORDER and an L Series lens in the way???

Quote:
i've a Canon EOS 300 (35mm) with a 28-80mm f/4-5.6 lens and EOS 400D with a 18-55mm f/4-5.6 lens. planning to buy a 70-200mm f/4L USM, but God knows when because it's an entry level luxury series lens and costs around 65k :(

the handycam i've got is the HDR-SR10E, an entry level FullHD camcorder with a 40GB hard drive. got myself a VCT-60AV along with it (with the handycam controls on the pan handle) for steady recordings. trust me, you'll not go wrong with this combo .

my cameras are an integral part of my trips
Wow.. You sure do have an enviable collection mate. Why don't you buy the lens in the US? I mean it would save you some money and in addition, I think that the L series lenses come with global warranty if I am not mistaken!

How much did it cost for the whole camcorder setup??

And I own a CANON EOS 450D with 18-55mm kit IS lens and a 50mm F1.8 lens.
Old 21st December 2009, 20:56   #12
BHPian

Quote:
...I think that the L series lenses come with global warranty if I am not mistaken!
I don't think the US lenses have a global warranty as many people that buy lenses outside of the US have warranty issues with Canon USA. I think it would be the same issue if the lens is purchased in the USA and then taken abroad.
Old 22nd December 2009, 00:10   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow.. You sure do have an enviable collection mate. Why don't you buy the lens in the US? I mean it would save you some money and in addition, I think that the L series lenses come with global warranty if I am not mistaken!

How much did it cost for the whole camcorder setup??

And I own a CANON EOS 450D with 18-55mm kit IS lens and a 50mm F1.8 lens.
until a while ago i had the Miranda Sensomat using which i started photography. still got the Nikon FG-20 with 35-70mm f/4-5.6 though. love the focus ring on it, butter smooth

to answer your question, the HDR-SR10E cost 39,990/- and the VCT-60AV came to around 5290/-

can't get the lens now coz the handycam put a big dent in my budget. need to save for it.

the 450D is a good camera, with the IS lens and SDHC card instead of the CF used in the 400D the 50mm f/1.8 is a very good choice.

i mostly take nature, landscape, abstract and pictures of objects and hence the need for a telephoto lens. seriously hate taking "say cheese" pictures!
Old 23rd December 2009, 08:18   #14
BHPian

No warranty for L series lenses? Bugger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamirD View Post
I don't think the US lenses have a global warranty as many people that buy lenses outside of the US have warranty issues with Canon USA. I think it would be the same issue if the lens is purchased in the USA and then taken abroad.
Thanks for the info! I never thought that L series would have the same problems as the other cheaper lenses in the canon lineup!

Quote:
until a while ago i had the Miranda Sensomat using which i started photography. still got the Nikon FG-20 with 35-70mm f/4-5.6 though. love the focus ring on it, butter smooth

to answer your question, the HDR-SR10E cost 39,990/- and the VCT-60AV came to around 5290/-

can't get the lens now coz the handycam put a big dent in my budget. need to save for it.

the 450D is a good camera, with the IS lens and SDHC card instead of the CF used in the 400D the 50mm f/1.8 is a very good choice.

i mostly take nature, landscape, abstract and pictures of objects and hence the need for a telephoto lens. seriously hate taking "say cheese" pictures!
Hey why don't you post some pictures that you have taken mate? Will be glad to see some of your talent our here!!!
IamSaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2009, 09:55   #15
Senior - BHPian

Camera Discussions - Please post on appropriate forum

Hi Guys,

Not to play spoil sport, but I think this thread is ment for introductions and welcome.

For DSLR there is a dedicated forum and I think all camera talk can move there. So that all with similar interests can benefit from the discussions.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...lr-thread.html

Just an intervention before the Mods move in on this.

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks