Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2010, 04:52   #1

Jazziness in Chennai (I got a Jazz for free!)

Greetings to all from an avowed hatchback fan.

My experience with hatchbacks began with a hand-me-down Mazda 323 when I was an impoverished grad student in America in the mid 90s. The Mazda was eventually replaced by a Honda Civic hatchback that served us well in the city and on memorable trips to forests and mountains on the continent.

After a short-lived flirtation with a sedan (Accord, early 2000-s) I moved to Chennai in 2004 and got a wine red Maruti WagonR. She has been staid, reliable, and has uncomplainingly lugged around oversized bags, musical instruments, audio equipment, and the occasional bicycle. Unexpectedly, after a 5+ year, mostly amicable and trouble-free relationship, she has found herself ousted by a shapely young sapphire blue Honda Jazz that arrived on the scene just over a week ago. We're still processing the change.

So Chennaiites, if you see a Jazz (there's so few of us) that's blue, with an Apple bumper sticker (even fewer, I presume) parked at Elliots beach on weekends, or navigating central-south Chennai traffic on weekdays, be sure to say hi.

ramki
Old 12th February 2010, 09:00   #2
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to the forum.
The Jazz is indeed a rarity in this forum, will look forward to an unbiased and objective car buying and ownership report.
Old 12th February 2010, 10:43   #3

Thanks for the welcome Amartya. Yes, as a Jazz owner I feel like a misunderstood minority and might even seek out a support group in Chennai if there's one As for a buying report, it turns out I didn't actually buy the car. Ownership report will probably be filed after the honeymoon phase...

Last edited by chennaitexan : 12th February 2010 at 10:49.
Old 12th February 2010, 11:42   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chennaitexan View Post
Thanks for the welcome Amartya. Yes, as a Jazz owner I feel like a misunderstood minority and might even seek out a support group in Chennai if there's one As for a buying report, it turns out I didn't actually buy the car. Ownership report will probably be filed after the honeymoon phase...
This has to be the easiest way to *buy* a new car...damn you man!
Old 12th February 2010, 13:21   #5
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to t-bhp, ramki!

Just read the post on your blog, real streak of luck there!

You've got one of the best hatches in india, FREE!

enjoy, and do start an ownership thread!
Old 14th February 2010, 19:06   #6
BHPian

Hi Ramki

Welcome. is the apple bumper because you are a mac lover. Good to meet you if you are. We may bump into each other.
Cheers Sathya
Old 15th February 2010, 00:38   #7

Yes Mac lover/junkie, for sure. Would be happy to connect on that front as well Ramki
Old 15th February 2010, 14:55   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Welcome Chennaitexan! Lady luck must have been sitting on your shoulder the time that you dropped that form in the box. Out of curiousity, may we know what the winning slogan was? Congratulations on the Jazz. The fact that it is the most expensive hatchback in India got to make the win that much sweeter Did you have to pay the road tax & insurance?

Do take a quick pitstop by our board rules section, just once, for familiarisation.
Old 15th February 2010, 15:59   #9
Team-BHP Support

Congrats and welcome

Out of curiosity - did you need to pay the insurance, road tax and also income tax (40%) for winning the car ?
Old 15th February 2010, 16:13   #10
Senior - BHPian

What a way to hop onto the Team BHP band wagon. Just read your story. Congratulations on your Jazz and more so because it was free. Mind sharing some prize winning slogans with us so maybe we can get lucky sometime . I like that colour too.

Waiting for that ownership report. Have fun and drive safe. And Welcome to Team BHP.
Old 16th February 2010, 03:43   #11

Thanks all, I did post an ownership note in the relevant thread (test drives and initial ownership reports).

As for payables, the dealer took care of the insurance. I had to cover registration, roadtax and 30% GiftTax. Nothing to grumble about, though.
Old 16th February 2010, 08:21   #12
BHPian

Lucky you. Got a Jazz for FREE! I recently got a Pioneer DEH-4190 SD player as a prize for playing a funny browser game. Love the player they gave me man!
Old 16th February 2010, 09:43   #13
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

good one!
you must be the only chap I ve heard of (and who is relatively known to me by virtue of TBHP) who actually won a car for free in a slogan writing contest.
Good for you man - luck sure seems to have grinned at you from ear to ear!
Lovely colour on the Jazz - just read your blog!
all the best!
Old 16th February 2010, 11:21   #14
BHPian

Your indeed a very lucky person to actually win something in a lottery.
Enjoy and take care of your new car.

UM
Old 16th February 2010, 12:10   #15

Hey it was not a lottery (in which the a-priori chance of winning is equally distributed among contestants) but the outcome of two month process of screening entries by a panel of reviewers! So I'd like to think merit, not just probability, was involved
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks