Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2010, 20:43   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Happy to be a member, finally!

I have been avidly following Team-BHP for last 3-4 years. Finally, applied for membership and thankfully, it was approved. Feels great to be here!

First of all, I would like to thank all Team-BHP members who helped me a lot over last 3 years in matters ranging from choosing the right service center for my car to choosing the most appropriate routes for those long interstate drives and to even choosing the right navigation system. Since I was 'just a guest' for all these years, I could not even thank anybody for all the amazing information I got here. So, thank you all for everything!

Now to introduce myself: By education, I am a mechanical engineer (got my M.S. and Ph.D. in mechanical engineering from a university in the US), and by profession, I am a research engineer (working in one of the world's topmost technology companies). Apart from cars and driving around, my interests include cricket, chess (I am also an intentionally rated chess player) and poetry.

Coming to my cars, I bought my first car in the US when I was a graduate student. It was a 1982 Honda Accord (I bought it as a used car in late nineties). Amazing thing was that in spite of being such an 'ancient' model, it still had some cool features such as cruise control (with steering mounted control buttons). This car was eventually (with a very heavy heart) scrapped. Later, I bought my first brand new car:- 2001 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro. What an amazing car! I drove this beautiful machine all over the US. I still vividly remember how perfectly this car handled the mountain roads of Colorado, the dessert highways of Arizona, and the snowy roads in Chicago and the Midwest. I sold this car (of course, with an extremely heavy heart) when I returned to India.

Then when I came to India, I got hold of a 2002 Fiat Palio 1.2 ELX. And I am still using this car. Very good car, no regrets at all (well, except one: I really regret not buying the 1.6 GTX). I have driven this car on many long trips (multiple Pune-Goa trips, and a couple of Bangalore-Pune trips, to name just a few). I am using this car since then and now completed 61000km. I plan to soon post an '8 year, 60000km' review of this car.

That is all for now. Sorry for the longish post. But this is my first post here, and I could not control myself.

Once again, thanks for everything and best regards!

-AD
Dr.AD is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 16th April 2010, 21:17   #2
BHPian

Welcome Dr.AD. Must have been a full turn around driving BMW in US and then Palio in India. Must have been bit tough. We shall wait to read your travelogues here.
Old 16th April 2010, 23:41   #3
BHPian

Welcome on board Dr.AD. One gets such amazing car options at US, I am really envious. Driving an Audi must have been great fun. Enjoy the forum.
PS-What did you exactly mean by "intentionally rated chess player?" Typo error I believe.
Old 17th April 2010, 11:47   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank you, Anandg and Utopian. Yes, driving an Audi was absolutely fun! Actually Quattro makes a lot of difference. It provides phenomenal handling to the car even on wet or snowy roads. When I first drove that car in heavy rains, I was amazed by the car's handling. Before that, I never had experienced in any other car similar stability and grips (and no loss in the precision of the steering even at moderately high speeds) on wet roads. By the way, I also drove FWD (without Quattro) Audi at one time, and it was nowhere close to the Quattro handling. This is why I believe Quattro makes all the difference in Audis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian View Post
PS-What did you exactly mean by "intentionally rated chess player?" Typo error I believe.
No, it is not a typo. FIDE (World Chess Federation) gives ratings to players based on performance in their tournaments. To be a "FIDE rated player", (i.e. to obtain a FIDE rating), one has to play in their tournaments and achieve a minimum performance over certain number of games. Once you do that, you are a FIDE rated (on in other words 'internationally rated' chess player). This is what I meant. Actually, it is no big deal, but I like to boast about it anyway
Dr.AD is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2010, 11:58   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian View Post
Oh, yes, I see it now. Yes, it is a typo. Sorry about that. I meant "internationally" rated chess player. Thanks for pointing this out.
Old 17th April 2010, 13:57   #6
BHPian

Thanks for edifying us about this chess rating system, sounds good. I'll also try after honing my skills(being quite dismal at the game).
Old 17th April 2010, 14:29   #7
Team-BHP Support

Welcome aboard, are you who I think you are ?
Old 17th April 2010, 14:58   #8
Senior - BHPian

welcome onboard Doc.Great to know about your passion.A4 must been a dream to drive.And yeah not just you but many do miss fiat's 1.6 machine.Enjoy your stay and do post your ownership report.
Old 17th April 2010, 17:21   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Welcome aboard, are you who I think you are ?
Hi Ajmat, Yes, I am who you think I am. I was just about to PM you after I got my membership.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks