Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2010, 23:02   #1
BHPian

Am finally home...

Hi,

I am Amit.
Age - 31. (had trouble blowing out the candles on the cake)
Writing an introduction is like answering the question "Tell us about yourself" in an interview..when one starts looking at the ceiling and ponders where to start from. I read a lot of introductions before I finally got to writing this, thinking I'll get some idea how to go about it. Finally it dawned that i just have to type what I feel...so, here it is!

Born and brought up in Delhi, engineering took me to Kerala and then corporate tussle began. Worked for 4 years and then did an MBA. Been in Mumbai (Bombay) for about 8 years now. But still call Delhi my home. (You can take a Delhite out of Delhi but you can't take Delhi out of a Delhite). Ahem Ahem.

Writing about my love for cars would be so cliched. We all are here just for that reason. But then where else would I get an opportunity to speak my heart out and expect people to UNDERSTAND what I am talking!

I can't remember when my love for cars began. But my dad says that i used to be intrigued by the noise (sweet music) of a engine even when i was a toddler. (I totally believe him on this!). I have a huge collection of Matchbox cars. I remember identifying Toyota Corollas, Coronas, Cressidas, Crowns by their headlamps and would shout out "Look Dad, thats a Toyota 'so-and-so" and start ranting about the car. That was the era when India was still on Ambassadors and Fiats and seeing an "yumported" car was a big deal. I remember Isuzus, Tercels, Nissan Patrols, Suzuki Jimmy, Toyota Sera, Ford Falcon, FIAT 1100D, the old Honda Accord and tons of other cars which you cant see anymore. For me, the kind of car defined the kind of person. I used to always think "Imagine what cars would the richest person in the world, in India and in Delhi would have". My measure of success of a person was the kind of car he drove. If I heard about some one having made it in life, my first question would be " Really, huh...what car does he have?"

I can keep talking about cars like endlessly. But since this is my first post, I really hope the Mods approve it and put it up. Besides, I'm sure there would be many who would find this 'deja vu'. Another small incident (i swear, the last one) - in college, after puberty had hit and we discovered the world of 'ahem' magazines, there was a memorable incident. There was this nice looking lady in an obvious state of undress standing right next to a 'yellow Porsche 911' and word around the college was "Amit wouldnt have noticed the 'lady'..he would have been ogling the car". THAT WAS ACTUALLY TRUE. While my friends would pass complimentary remarks about the nice lady, I would be saying "Dude, look at the 16-inch alloys" or "do you know thats the fastest production car in the world?".

I have been reading and surfing through Team BHP for quite a long time. Finally got approved as a member. I currently work as a Product Manager for a NBFC (Non Banking Financial Company). I own a 2001 Zen Vxi which still touches 160kmph on the Mumbai Pune Expressway. (I am not kidding). We have been through 5 800s, an Ambassador, a Premier Padmini, Tata Indigo, Renault Logan. These were all Dad's office cars. Currently its a Zen Vxi for me and a Santro for Dad.

I wish to own a 1.8 Petrol Octavia and outfit it myself. Make it better than the RS. Otherwise the list of Dream cars could go on endlessly.

I am glad to be here...and look for finding people who share the same passion. Look forward to interacting with all you Petrolheads. In a nutshell "am glad to be home".

Amit
Old 23rd April 2010, 11:20   #2
BHPian

Welcome Drift king :)

Welcome to HOME,

I had a similar feeling when I joined teambhp and started exploring wealth of information on automobiles.

Wish more reviews/words to come(should I say Drift ) in free flow..Hope to see you soon.

Sid

Last edited by bblost : 23rd April 2010 at 12:16. Reason: Please avoid quoting a full post.
Old 26th April 2010, 10:01   #3
BHPian

The Voyeur is in the Building :)

Hi Amit,

Welcome to Team-BHP!

This guy has been checking out posts for years now and finally decides to make an entry

I am looking forward to all your pent up auto-info flowing free in the threads here!
Old 26th April 2010, 11:39   #4
BHPian

Drift King,
Welcome to our wonderful world. I own the 1.8 TPI and boy that car is a rocket. Just get a long clear road, put pedal to metal, look at your rear view mirror and watch the other cars standing still.

Cheerio
Old 30th April 2010, 13:20   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by justROYal View Post
Hi Amit,

Welcome to Team-BHP!

This guy has been checking out posts for years now and finally decides to make an entry

I am looking forward to all your pent up auto-info flowing free in the threads here!
thanks Roy.
will try not to bore you with my car talk and rather write stuff here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpaul View Post
Drift King,
Welcome to our wonderful world. I own the 1.8 TPI and boy that car is a rocket. Just get a long clear road, put pedal to metal, look at your rear view mirror and watch the other cars standing still.

Cheerio
thanks RXpaul.
great to know about your 1.8 TPI. One of the finest cars I have seen.
Would also love to know about your 320i and any posts about it. Kindly direct me to the thread if you already have it up.

Last edited by bblost : 30th April 2010 at 15:10. Reason: back 2 back.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks