Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2010, 12:05   #1

Nkotb

Hi Team-BHPians,
After a very long wait, I finally took the plunge! I have been waiting on the fence for a long time. I have always loved cars... fast cars were my passion as a kid.
I gifted myself a pre-owned GETZ GVS. The previous owner had a hypothecation, which slightly extended the closure of the deal. After the formalities were through, finally I got possession of the beauty.
Licence to drive
One of the key requirements, a valid Indian driving licence was the easiest. Ten years ago, in anticipation of buying a car, I had endured the great Indian driving class. Ten years on I had not even touched a car, except for opening the passenger side door.
As I was awaiting the possession, I took up refresher course for 20 days; this gave me some confidence to drive on the every-so-busy Mumbai roads.
The Big Day
The dawn of April 11, 2010, I anxiously waited for my friend’s driver Kamlesh to help me get the beauty home. The long drive from Bandra to Ghatkopar through the Bandra-Kurla-Complex tempted me to drive for a long stretch at BKC.
On a daily basis, I would start the engine, reverse it, and put it back to the parking lot. This continued for a week. During the weekend, Kamlesh was back in action. He was my passenger as I tried my hand at manoeuvring the pot holes and dashing bikes. The same evening, I indulged in some shopping
Loud and Clear
Searching through the available options as I waited, I was tempted by options that were too good to resist. I finally zeroed down on a simple music system with USB. As I waited for the mechanic to get the system installed, the store owner showed me some other options... Believe me, I am not an impulsive shopper, but this day was different... I finally opted for a fully loaded system – DVD player, AUX In, USB, SD, FM, AM... wow too much to ask for
The date
My wife used to tease me ...”the car is not for parking and listening to music”. Last week I took her out for a really short drive, inside our colony
The car stalled as I got sweaty at a signal, on starting the car started to move backwards... I asked my wife to look to the left, after all other vehicles moved, I retried and this time I was successful.
The next big leap was Sunday morning; I woke up early, asked my wife to get ready for an early morning drive at 8:30 am. This offer did not go down well with her... “Early mornings on a Sunday, are you crazy?” she almost screamed. After cajoling we finally got ready for a drive at 10:30 am, I was worried that traffic might build up causing embarrassment to me once again
I offered to take her out for a small drive.... however the roads were tempting and so my desire to go on a really long drive. I drove around the city, on the western express highway, to Powai and back home. As I drove, the smoothness and the comfort made me fall in love once again... with the beauty.

Way to go
I am looking forward to get a service done. Get a screen protector to beat the Mumbai heat. It really gets boiling hot inside, since the car is parked in open.

Last edited by Eddy : 29th April 2010 at 12:11. Reason: Pl see the next post
Old 29th April 2010, 12:14   #2
Team-BHP Support

Brillian, welcome to the forum

You'll find a lot of people that share your enthusiasm for cars, and have their wives screaming at them

But please do take a quick look at the rules and announcements before you proceed further. You will note that not more than two smilies are allowed per post. Also, please do not use an external editor like MS word to copy paste since the formatting doesn't show up and has to be cleaned.

All the best, and see ya around.
Old 29th April 2010, 14:52   #3
MX6
Senior - BHPian

The new car has got the child in you out. Very evident from the way you've introduced yourself. Welcome. Happy motoring.
Old 29th April 2010, 16:20   #4
Team-BHP Support

Aaah! Took my quite a while to figure out what NKOTB stood for

Welcome aboard and drive safe. We have a few threads for new / first time drivers. Check em out.

cya
R
Old 29th April 2010, 17:00   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brillian View Post
Hi Team-BHPians,
After a very long wait, I finally took the plunge! I have been waiting on the fence for a long time. I have always loved cars... fast cars were my passion as a kid.
I gifted myself a pre-owned GETZ GVS. The previous owner had a hypothecation, which slightly extended the closure of the deal. After the formalities were through, finally I got possession of the beauty.
Licence to drive
One of the key requirements, a valid Indian driving licence was the easiest. Ten years ago, in anticipation of buying a car, I had endured the great Indian driving class. Ten years on I had not even touched a car, except for opening the passenger side door.
As I was awaiting the possession, I took up refresher course for 20 days; this gave me some confidence to drive on the every-so-busy Mumbai roads.
The Big Day
The dawn of April 11, 2010, I anxiously waited for my friend’s driver Kamlesh to help me get the beauty home. The long drive from Bandra to Ghatkopar through the Bandra-Kurla-Complex tempted me to drive for a long stretch at BKC.
On a daily basis, I would start the engine, reverse it, and put it back to the parking lot. This continued for a week. During the weekend, Kamlesh was back in action. He was my passenger as I tried my hand at manoeuvring the pot holes and dashing bikes. The same evening, I indulged in some shopping
Loud and Clear
Searching through the available options as I waited, I was tempted by options that were too good to resist. I finally zeroed down on a simple music system with USB. As I waited for the mechanic to get the system installed, the store owner showed me some other options... Believe me, I am not an impulsive shopper, but this day was different... I finally opted for a fully loaded system – DVD player, AUX In, USB, SD, FM, AM... wow too much to ask for
The date
My wife used to tease me ...”the car is not for parking and listening to music”. Last week I took her out for a really short drive, inside our colony
The car stalled as I got sweaty at a signal, on starting the car started to move backwards... I asked my wife to look to the left, after all other vehicles moved, I retried and this time I was successful.
The next big leap was Sunday morning; I woke up early, asked my wife to get ready for an early morning drive at 8:30 am. This offer did not go down well with her... “Early mornings on a Sunday, are you crazy?” she almost screamed. After cajoling we finally got ready for a drive at 10:30 am, I was worried that traffic might build up causing embarrassment to me once again
I offered to take her out for a small drive.... however the roads were tempting and so my desire to go on a really long drive. I drove around the city, on the western express highway, to Powai and back home. As I drove, the smoothness and the comfort made me fall in love once again... with the beauty.

Way to go
I am looking forward to get a service done. Get a screen protector to beat the Mumbai heat. It really gets boiling hot inside, since the car is parked in open.
Hi Brillian,

Welcome to Team-BHP. I liked your story! I could imagine your expressions all along the story and couldn't resist letting you know!

Drive safe!

btw, what 'NKOTB' means?

Last edited by whitesquall : 29th April 2010 at 17:02.
Old 29th April 2010, 17:14   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesquall View Post

btw, what 'NKOTB' means?
New Kid On the Block?

Welcome to T-BHP Brillian.
Old 29th April 2010, 17:50   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post
New Kid On the Block?

Welcome to T-BHP Brillian.
Thanks for the explanation Pulsar56!
Old 29th April 2010, 18:13   #8
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to the block

Took me also sometime to figure out what NKOTB stood for. I guess I miss my MIRC chatting days years ago.

The fear is always there initially and it will go away in time. Moving off slopes can be the most taxing, nerve racking situations. I remember my early days, when to my worst luck, I used to end up at a signal that was just at the exist of an underpass, so it means we had to wait on the slope. And for a new driver, I dont have to explain what that means ;-)
Old 29th April 2010, 18:29   #9
Senior - BHPian

Nkotb ->New Kid Of Team Bhp?!
Old 29th April 2010, 19:28   #10
BHPian

Welcome buddy. Good luck and wishing you great drives to come. I too gifted myself a pre owned Getz GVS a year ago. So far so good..No regrets
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks