Team-BHP > Introduce yourself

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2010, 21:40   #1

Hi, from a non car guy

I've been lurking around the forums for quite a while, especially the amazing travelogues, so thought i might as well put myself on the record.

My name is Arun and i'm currently a post graduate student at the National Institute of Design. I go around the internet by the name PlaneMad (and heres why). I'm more of a travelaholic and a geography nerd, so am always interested in seeing new parts of the country and capturing it on camera. That alongwith my interest in tracking the infrastructure development of the country is what brings me to this forum btw. This might probably against some unwritten code in the forum, but i'll just be honest and say that i'm not a big fan of cars i'd anyday pick walking, cycling, using the train or bus over driving my own vehicle. I feel you get to absorb more of your surroundings that way.

And well, i'm also into working with geographic data and have been creating Indian maps like these for quite a few years.

Lately i've been involved in a collaborative project to create an open source map of the world using gps tracks. Hoping to get more inspiration from here on where to travel during my next
Old 17th May 2010, 22:30   #2
MX6
Senior - BHPian

You've made the indian rail map look like London Underground. Great! Hope the babus take a cue from this and improve the service to those standards as well!
Old 18th May 2010, 12:18   #3
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I have used the Mumbai Suburban Railway Map on wikpedia.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...n_rail_map.svg

I must admit that this map is one of the best maps I have seen. Welcome to team-bhp!
Old 18th May 2010, 12:42   #4
BHPian

voila .. Welcome to Team-BHP !!

I first looked at the map and thought, what happened to all the curves

and later i realized i was looking at railways map and not road map ! ha ha ha
Old 18th May 2010, 14:16   #5

Thanks guys.
@otto
that was one of the first maps that i had made, way back when i was in school in 2005
Old 18th May 2010, 14:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

@PlaneMad welcome I have been following ur updates for quiet some time in twitter, and hope to catch up here too.
Old 18th May 2010, 15:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

Welcome PlaneMad, nice to see the art of map making is still alive. I suck at making or following maps including geography so can truly appreciate your skills

Its perfectly okay if you are not a car fan , hey we have threads on buses, trucks, planes, cycles you name it. Look forward to your travelogues, I am sure they would be different and interesting.

Cheers !
Old 18th May 2010, 16:52   #8
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to T-Bhp PlaneMad.

In addition to threads on trucks, etc mentioned by Sammy, we have a few on Ships too!! So you will never run out of fun here.

Please post your train, bus, walkalogues soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Its perfectly okay if you are not a car fan , hey we have threads on buses, trucks, planes, cycles you name it.
Cheers !
Old 21st May 2010, 17:36   #9
Team-BHP Support

YOU created the Mumbai Suburban Railway Map on Wikipedia? WOW!. Awesome man.

The first time i ever saw it i had to do a double take. Also, it is the SOLE reason i have traveled by train without ever having to second guess or decode all the other cryptic information. (Only bummer is that once it did not work on my cell phone due to the SVG format - but now i think wikipedia also offer PNGs).

For those of you wondering what the hell we are talking about, here it is :
Hi, from a non car guy-1000pxmumbai_suburban_rail_map.svg.png
Source: Mumbai Suburban Railway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hope you have a good time here.

Cheers,
R

PS - Two more things :
1) Please see the Announcements section for details on how to upload a picture "correctly".
2) How about a high res version of the all india map you posted in your first post?

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st May 2010 at 17:37.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed