Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2010, 18:53   #1
BHPian

Another Mariner / Automobile enthusiast

Hi everyone,

My name is Kevin Ephraim and though i was lucky to get my membership to Team BHP earlier this year, I had to go sailing and so was not able to introduce myself.
I am a Captain in the merchant navy, sailing with a Italian Containership company.
I am an automobile enthusiast right from my childhood, i guess it was in the genes as both my grandfathers had motoring in their blood too. I guess my love for classics started with my first drive which was in my grandfathers Standard Herald back home from the hospital!
Through the 32 years of my life many cars and bikes have passed through the hand of my family including some classics like my dads 1954 fiat millicento / elegant (i still don't know exactly which one it was!) - am still looking for it, the standard herald, 5 assorted fiat 1100s / premier padminis all sold in the mid eighties early nineties. Till a year ago i used to own a 2000 maruti zen vx (done only 29K) and a 2006 innova 2.5V (36K) which i sold.
With bikes... i guess the story is the same.. a 1952 B31, 1971 Lambretta 150, 1983 Bajaj Viking (Chetak that was exported to USA) - we had one of the surplus!
I presently have a 1986 LT RD350, a 2002 Honda Activa, 1940's BSA Paratrooper cycle (needs restoration) and a 2009 Hyundai i10.
Am looking for the 1954 millicento MRJ 4138, the 1971 Lamby MPJ 4441 with the hope that they have not been scrapped. Also intend to restore the RD350 soon along with a friends Norton. Looking for a VW air cooled beetle if available in good nick.
Hope to learn from the experts on T-BHP and add some value to this forum.
Thanks and regards to all,
Kevin
Old 12th November 2010, 19:39   #2
BHPian

To: Captain Kevin

1. Welcome to Team BHP....kindly read all Team BHP threads to comply with ISM standards of Team Bhp to avoid getting NC's.
2. Team Bhp is very excating and expects high standards of posts quite simililar to our ISM norms.
3. I am amazed at your vintage garage of mo bikes. I hope they are in riding conditions.

Keep the flag of Master Mariners flying here at T Bhp...

Regards

Captain Nandu Chitnis
Master Mariner
SCI
Old 12th November 2010, 21:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hello Masters,

A third one welkomes you onboard. I have worked on Tankers for 15 years & now is working as Marine Surveyor in Mumbai.
I have put my own experiences through the pics I take inside the ports & of various jobs that I have undertaken during the course of my shore profession.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ide-ports.html
There is a similar one on commercial vehicles.

We have another Master onboard who has made it real big, his thread is as below.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commer...hp-giants.html

See you around.

Raab Rakha.
Old 13th November 2010, 10:52   #4
BHPian

Shippies on TBhp

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanduchitnis View Post

1. Welcome to Team BHP....kindly read all Team BHP threads to comply with ISM standards of Team Bhp to avoid getting NC's.
2. Team Bhp is very excating and expects high standards of posts quite simililar to our ISM norms.
3. I am amazed at your vintage garage of mo bikes. I hope they are in riding conditions.

Regards

Captain Nandu Chitnis
Master Mariner
SCI
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
Hello Masters,

A third one welkomes you onboard. I have worked on Tankers for 15 years & now is working as Marine Surveyor in Mumbai.
I have put my own experiences through the pics I take inside the ports & of various jobs that I have undertaken during the course of my shore profession.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ide-ports.html
There is a similar one on commercial vehicles.

We have another Master onboard who has made it real big, his thread is as below.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commer...hp-giants.html

See you around.

Raab Rakha.
Capt. Chitnis and Capt. Sonu,

Thanks for the above welcome! It was truly surprising initially to see that there were more mariners on T-Bhp and even more astounding to read about Capt. Vijay Pal Singh putting up the real BHP giants on this forum! Then i actually realised that T-Bhp is all about the BHP whatever size the engine is! Great Going!
I am sure there are many other shippies here on T-Bhp who have not introduced that facet to us. Hope in due time they do.
Thanks and high regards,
Kev
P.S. - I worked on the only triple screw container ship in the world, total BHP 86400, full sea speed at max revs (108 rpm each engine) 28kts! (Un)Fortunately she has been scrapped now!
Old 13th November 2010, 11:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hello and welcome onboard!!

I am not really a mariner like you guys but having worked on cruise liners for 6 years I love to call myself one.

Like they say "once a shippie always a shippie"

I was so happy with my cruise ship days that after leaving it I even named my business "Starboard"

Here are a few of my ship incidents you guys may like to read. These are all from my point of view as an food and beverage guy. Would love to have the perspective of an actual mariner!!

1. Horror on high seas

2. Cruising the Norwegian fjords

3. Life as a sailor

Thanks and regards
Old 13th November 2010, 17:58   #6
BHPian

Hi Capt. Kevin,

Welcome aboard this wonderful website Kevin.

From another mariner,

Capt. Karl

Shell Tankers

Capt. Nandu,
Loved your post about the ISM & NC's. You hit the nail on the head. I already got an NC for something I did not even know I'd done!!!

Presently en route from Aus to Singapore.

Cheers!
Old 13th November 2010, 19:39   #7
Senior - BHPian

Wow tbhp is being flooded by shippies, pardon the pun just kidding.
Welcome to tbhp Capt. We look forward to reading your experiences.
Cheers !
Old 13th November 2010, 20:18   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi Capt. Kevin,

Capt. Karl

Shell Tankers

Capt. Nandu,
Loved your post about the ISM & NC's. You hit the nail on the head. I already got an NC for something I did not even know I'd done!!!

Cheers!

Capt Ka Yes I got an NC but was forgiven once by the Moderators. So I though wise to tell another new bee by quotating the ISM norms. Yes they are strict here as they should be to keep this forum under control!

Capt Nandu Chitnis
Grounded ashore
Old 13th November 2010, 21:28   #9
naj
BHPian

Quote:

Regards

Captain Nandu Chitnis
Master Mariner
SCI
Capt Chitnis in a lighter mood ,Pls dont remind us of ISM audits or vettings or annuals or the terrifying Marpol arrests atleast here on T-bhp.Lets keep that stuff onboard and surely let it not be one our sign off baggages.The best thing after walking down the gangway is the terrific drive in the Agents swanking new car. .Lucky more if its Ford truck in The US or an S class merc in Europe.Thats the best part of it ,isn't it?

Welcome Kavin to T-Bhp. Being a chief Engineer I usually keep a low profile on T-bhp.No pistons and Decarbs or Gms/bhp/hr Consumptions once on leave.

Cheers,

Naj

Last edited by naj : 13th November 2010 at 21:32.
Old 14th November 2010, 00:20   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi Capt. Kevin,

Welcome aboard this wonderful website Kevin.

From another mariner,

Capt. Karl

Shell Tankers

Cheers!
Capt. Karl,
Thanks for the welcome!
Wish you calm seas and good weather!

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post

Welcome Kavin to T-Bhp. Being a chief Engineer I usually keep a low profile on T-bhp.No pistons and Decarbs or Gms/bhp/hr Consumptions once on leave.

Cheers,
Naj
Naj,

Sir! Thanks for the welcome! I had a feeling there would be BHPians like yourself who kept a low shippie profile on this forum!
Understandably so.. I guess the only reason i also posted that i was a mariner was when i saw Capt. Chitnis' introduction!

Quote:

Regards

Captain Nandu Chitnis
Master Mariner
SCI
Capt. Chitnis,

The RD350 was bought when i was just a cadet in 1999, still running beautifully, leaves the rest on the road breathless! literally.. if you understand what i mean.
The Paratrooper cycle was a hand me down from my grandfather who was in the British army to my dad and then me. I used it during my school days. Needs TLC and restoration which i intend to do soon!
The BSA BB31 was a disaster since it was my first time in trying to restore a vintage. A friend and me ended up spending more than we should have and got even less than we could have!
The Norton is pending restoration, its a running vehicle but needs a bit of spit and polish.. waiting for the rains to stop.
Hope fully that will happen soon!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks