Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2011, 18:52   #1
BHPian

Alto Lxi : My Point A to Point B - Done 25000Kms

Yesterday I completed 25.5k on the odo on my Bangalore-Nagarhole-Coorg-Bangalore trip covering 750 kms and I again realized seeing that figure, I am still in an Alto (Lxi BSIII). No it aint a DDiS / K series / VTec / or anything that has 'i' as a prefix, and still running afresh.

Tyres doesnt show the age at all, still runing stock. This trip had highways and hills and bad roads and terrible roads and no roads, it conquered all comfortably, 750 Kms mileage was still 22+.

Two of the biggest events in my life took place simultaneously and both have turned out quite ok so far. 1) my selection in one of the biggest Indian IT firms 2) Purchase of Alto, both these have a correlation. I didnt want both of them since begining

But, fate was sealed for me in both the cases, couldnt leave both and now when I kinda look back, 4 successful years here and 25k+ successful Kms there, I feel more ... (no word perhaps)

Its a proven machine so wont write much about the usual numbers, just to summarize:
FE: highway 23
bumper to bumper 21-23
Diet: -ol from anywhere which serves it
Service: Usual 3 free ones, now every 10k Kms
Costs: Varies between 750/- to 3000/- depending on the work involved
Drivers: ME only
History: One front-right-side indicator bulb replacement
Additional tyre: Still unused

rest every body part is stock, no K&Ns etc etc etc.

Future plan, still to keep it stock and want to see the limit to which it can not only sustain but rather keep me in trust that it will take me from Point A to Point B.

Last edited by AltoHoncho : 26th April 2011 at 10:18. Reason: content update
AltoHoncho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2011, 11:32   #2
BHPian

Re: Alto Lxi : My Point A to Point B - Done 25000Kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoHoncho View Post

FE: highway 23
bumper to bumper 21-23
Diet: -ol from anywhere which serves it
Service: Usual 3 free ones, now every 10k Kms
Costs: Varies between 750/- to 3000/- depending on the work involved
Drivers: ME only
History: One front-right-side indicator bulb replacement
Additional tyre: Still unused

Future plan, still to keep it stock and want to see the limit to which it can not only sustain but rather keep me in trust that it will take me from Point A to Point B.
@Alto Honcho; Your experience is nice and Happy, good to see you enjoying it as much as you can.

First Alto of our family is going to come this month for my Grandpaa, he is changing over from his 1988 M800!!, though I personally have been through (in and out of) M800, 2 of them, learnt on it, and almost lived on/by it, from the age of 13 to 29. Nonetheless I do not want to presume much is the same between them.

You have been very brief about the technical details specific to what you have come across. There are a few details that I wanted from your experiences.
1. Your petrol consumption figures are amazing, it is very subjective to generalize on my part since it is highly sensitive to individual driving style. And how is your driving style, do you rev a little hard lets say 2 to 3 times in one drive, etc, things like that. I am sure you checked the mileage 'tank full to tank full' way, any other process that you may have adopted let me know.
2. Cost of service - 750 - 3000, what all types of works have been carried out, cos 3000 means some major work / change of parts is done, 3000 on 1 service for Alto is big money. Was it periodic change of parts that normally MASS does. Give me all the details, as much as you can.

My opinion;
1. The unused spare tyre is not correct, for you should rotate all 5 tyres every 5000kms. Not many know that the tyre ages with time even if it is not used at all. You will not gain anything by not using it (like saving 1 tyre in the set), you will need to change the set of 4 much earlier than the set of 5. Like you said the tyres do not show age, that is because a set of 4 (4 tyre rotation) will last for at least 40000 kms, but a set of 5 will last for 50000kms. A unused 5 year old tyre will start cracking (rubber) and wear-out in no time once it is used and is dangerous for you (could burst in sustained high speed driving on the highway). Even now you can start rotating the 5th tyre its not too late.
2. It will take you from point A to B even if it has done 2,00,000 kms on the odo, I have seen many M800s do that. The first major spending for you will be tyres at about 45 - 50k kms, second on battery 4+ yrs, 3rd clutch assembly (depends on how you drive) 40 - 60 or even 80k kms. And electrical parts have no age, something might work in your car for even 1 lakh kms, and just 5k kms in some others. The major parts change will occur at 70 to 80k kms. Your spending between 45k to 80k, majority of it will go towards tyres, battery, clutch, suspension overhaul, arms, ball-joints (suspension & steering related parts). Engine will never trouble you for sure.

IMHO you should keep it for at least 70 - 80k kms, AND ALWAYS KEEP IT STOCK, (K&N filter will not harm, but nothing more than that), in-fact you should have installed the stock K&N filter (which fits in the original air filter box of the car) from the beginning, its not a car for performance and do not expect it to be one, (you will be better off taking an Ikon 1.6 for 1.5 to 1.25 lakhs, for lesser value than your Alto at any given point of time and do all that you can to it), instead pass it one to someone in your family who need a reliable no nonsense point A to B car, it will serve you better and longer.
Old 19th August 2011, 01:38   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
@Alto Honcho; Your experience is nice and Happy, good to see you enjoying it as much as you can.
Thank You, Its probably the most simple thing in the automotive world, much simple than a Nano I would say.

Lemme take them one by one..
Quote:
There are a few details that I wanted from your experiences.
1. Your petrol consumption figures are amazing, it is very subjective to generalize on my part since it is highly sensitive to individual driving style. And how is your driving style, do you rev a little hard lets say 2 to 3 times in one drive, etc, things like that. I am sure you checked the mileage 'tank full to tank full' way, any other process that you may have adopted let me know.
Yes its tank full to tank full and been checked multiple times, The figures above are indicative though and subjective to driving conditions, roads, load inside the car, driving style etc. In my case I am the only driver, and primarily used this for home-office commute (three long trips ranging above 1k Kms round-trip). The home-office commute has also been smooth and nearly congestion free courtesy the 10 km long flyover from my home to the office in Bangalore.

Quote:
2. Cost of service - 750 - 3000, what all types of works have been carried out, cos 3000 means some major work / change of parts is done, 3000 on 1 service for Alto is big money. Was it periodic change of parts that normally MASS does. Give me all the details, as much as you can.
At every 10,000 Kms, I have got the major service done. Recent one being Engine decarb etc, wheel balancing, alignment, underboy, etc... so the 3k mark has been touched only twice so far. Regular ones are depending on the service centre so you can average it out for approx 750/-

Quote:
My opinion;
1. The unused spare tyre is not correct, for you should rotate all 5 tyres every 5000kms. Not many know that the tyre ages with time even if it is not used at all. You will not gain anything by not using it (like saving 1 tyre in the set), you will need to change the set of 4 much earlier than the set of 5. Like you said the tyres do not show age, that is because a set of 4 (4 tyre rotation) will last for at least 40000 kms, but a set of 5 will last for 50000kms. A unused 5 year old tyre will start cracking (rubber) and wear-out in no time once it is used and is dangerous for you (could burst in sustained high speed driving on the highway). Even now you can start rotating the 5th tyre its not too late.
Tyre rotation is very much recommended but I would again subject it to the driving conditions as to after how many Kms this should be done. I have got it done once so far and the spare tyre has also been used. When I mentioned spare tyre usage, I didnt mean literally the one.

Quote:
2. It will take you from point A to B even if it has done 2,00,000 kms on the odo, I have seen many M800s do that. The first major spending for you will be tyres at about 45 - 50k kms, second on battery 4+ yrs, 3rd clutch assembly (depends on how you drive) 40 - 60 or even 80k kms. And electrical parts have no age, something might work in your car for even 1 lakh kms, and just 5k kms in some others. The major parts change will occur at 70 to 80k kms. Your spending between 45k to 80k, majority of it will go towards tyres, battery, clutch, suspension overhaul, arms, ball-joints (suspension & steering related parts). Engine will never trouble you for sure.

IMHO you should keep it for at least 70 - 80k kms, AND ALWAYS KEEP IT STOCK, (K&N filter will not harm, but nothing more than that), in-fact you should have installed the stock K&N filter (which fits in the original air filter box of the car) from the beginning, its not a car for performance and do not expect it to be one, (you will be better off taking an Ikon 1.6 for 1.5 to 1.25 lakhs, for lesser value than your Alto at any given point of time and do all that you can to it), instead pass it one to someone in your family who need a reliable no nonsense point A to B car, it will serve you better and longer.
Very rightly said. I have recently sold my 14 yrs old M800 which served me quite good. I understand the long term ownership costs and benefits, like you mentioned the major services once it touches 40-50k /70-80k mark. Very appropriately mentioned that these things are well built simple machines which will and have been serving for ages to many families across any kind of conditions.
Old 19th August 2011, 08:10   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoHoncho View Post
want to see the limit to which it can not only sustain but rather keep me in trust that it will take me from Point A to Point B.
The F series engine can take you easily past the 1.5 lakh kms mark ; one of our Office Omnis has done 2 lakh plus and has only seen a head gasket replacement ; nothing else.

Good luck and many more miles of happy motoring.

Those FE figures are not unbelievable but impressive all the same.
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2011, 12:25   #5
BHPian

Always a pleasure to hear about the Alto. I've been driving the Alto Lx (2004 mode- BS II). It has been used very sparingly . Just 35000 kms on the Odo till date. Have done a lot of work on the car including body colored bumpers, internally adjustable mirrors, Alloys, Michelin XM1's and central locking .

I just have one grouse against the car. Over the years, the mileage has dropped significantly. More so when i compare it to AltoHoncho's numbers. I get a FE of 12-13 max in bumper to bumper Mumbai traffic with AC on all the time. I consider my driving style as a sedate one. The car has been serviced regularly at Vitesse (authorized service station)

Besides that I've had no complaints whatsoever with the car. It looks set for a few thousand kilometers more.
Old 1st September 2011, 02:04   #6
BHPian

I am now in US so not using the car at all, its kept at home and probably will be awaiting me for sometime. I need suggestions on how to keep it preserved as it'll be lying around only for most part of the coming few years
Old 1st September 2011, 03:18   #7
Senior - BHPian

The best method is already their in your signature.
Some of your family members can use it or lying idle for prolonged period with out use could harm your Alto. The battery would be the first victim followed by the tyres.
Old 5th September 2011, 15:30   #8
Senior - BHPian

AltoHoncho - I still cannot believe the fuel economy figures you have quoted. I have a March 2009 model LXi and I have been consistently getting 13-14 kmpl since then. My daily drive is around 15 kms and although it is mostly in bumper-2-bumper traffic (I rarely get to engage the 4th gear, forget about the 5th), 20+ kmpl under such conditions (as quoted by you) sounds unrealistic. On the contrary, if other Alto owners are getting similar figures, maybe it is time for me to check with MASS.

On a side note, Alto is an amazing 'fill it-shut it-forget it' car.

Last edited by cool_dube : 5th September 2011 at 15:32.
Old 12th September 2011, 12:26   #9
BHPian

I'm also getting 13-14 kmpl in city ride for my ALTO LXI (Jan.2010) model. 20+ kmpl I get only in highway drive in winter i.e. without AC.
Old 6th June 2012, 11:07   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
...Some of your family members can use it or lying idle for prolonged period with out use could harm your Alto. The battery would be the first victim followed by the tyres.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
AltoHoncho - I still cannot believe the fuel economy figures you have quoted...On a side note, Alto is an amazing 'fill it-shut it-forget it' car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasuray View Post
I'm also getting 13-14 kmpl in city ride for my ALTO LXI (Jan.2010) model. 20+ kmpl I get only in highway drive in winter i.e. without AC.
Hi everyone, I came back from my US trip last month and since then have driven the car adding another 5000 Kms so now it stands at 30k mark. Some of the points noted so far (the car was parked still in the garage fr past 9 months and nobody used it at all).

1. When I came back and saw the dusty car, I was terrified considering rajeev's advice and first gave the car a complete wash from the outside and then inside. Kept it like that for one more day and next day morning tried to start it. Voila!! Single turn start and am not joking at all.

2. Called up the mechanic before taking it out to see what all things could be possibly damaged, but to his initial inspection absolutely nothing.

3. Slowly geared the car out of the parking and revv'd it, saw some dust filled smoke initially and that also went off after a but more revs.

4. The front tyres had lost some air so took it to the pump for a refuel and air, it drank nearly 23Ltrs without burp

5. Then thought of a drive so took the e-city flyover all the way till the toll and came back, thats nearly 33Kms roundtrip and the car showed a minor niggle while applyinga dab of brake, so I did it 3-4 times very gently and carefully

6. Then everything was just business as usual, the car so far is driving absolutely stunning and similar like I left it. Will be getting the 30k service done soon next month, am sure then will be posting the MASS bill and FE details.

7. I am planning a long drive to Kumarakom and Munnar in Aug, so the service etc will be done before that only.

8. I would need some advice regarding the tyres in case I plan to get them changed (just a thought), am really not keen on considering any alloys as its not needed.

Any other suggestions from long-term Alto owners are most welcome.
AltoHoncho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2012, 11:27   #11
Senior - BHPian

That is a nice cool result as your Alto is kicking so soon. True to the Alto, let's go adage.
That the car started in the first kick itself after 9 months is great.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2012, 17:21   #12
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on a problem free car!

I have an Alto Lxi 2008 model and that has completed four fuss-free years of ownership with 52,000 kms on the odo. The Alto is capable of performing flawlessly day after day and is a reliable car!

A LTO report has been pending for a few months now and do hope to get to it over the coming few weekends.
gpa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 11:29   #13
BHPian

@AutoHoncho- I've changed my tyres to Michelin XM1+ in February 2012 at cost of Rs.2850/- each and got Rs.1000/- for each used tyre (10,000 kms.). It is of stock size for Alto i.e. 145/80 R12 and braking, handling,cabin noise are better than the OEM JK tyres at least it seems to me.
Regards.
tasuray is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2012, 15:33   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasuray View Post
@AutoHoncho- I've changed my tyres to Michelin XM1+ in February 2012 at cost of Rs.2850/- each and got Rs.1000/- for each used tyre (10,000 kms.). It is of stock size for Alto i.e. 145/80 R12 and braking, handling,cabin noise are better than the OEM JK tyres at least it seems to me.
Regards.
Michelin XM1+ 145/80 R12... point noted tasuray, will be considering those surely probably sometime next year after adding another 10k to the existing ones.

Did you also check for any little bit upsized ones !! Any idea on those, also does it make any functional sense to go for alloys on Alto? I am not bothered about the looks part at all.
Old 12th June 2012, 15:35   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
Congrats on a problem free car!

I have an Alto Lxi 2008 model and that has completed four fuss-free years of ownership with 52,000 kms on the odo. The Alto is capable of performing flawlessly day after day and is a reliable car!

A LTO report has been pending for a few months now and do hope to get to it over the coming few weekends.
52k on the ODO, what all major checks you did post 30k? will be really helpful if you can also share the bill / costs for each of those service.
awaiting the LTOR.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks