Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2012, 10:52   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: A story of 3 workhorses: 2 Santro's and a Manza, Edit: Santro sold, Manza at 100k+

Sounds good enough to me. DO you have any plans of heading there soon? Keep me posted, I'll tag along.

I agree with your views on Sec 16 shops. Despite, the hi-tech machines, it requires some manual adjustments and repeated visits.
Old 21st February 2012, 13:02   #47
Senior - BHPian

re: A story of 3 workhorses: 2 Santro's and a Manza, Edit: Santro sold, Manza at 100k+

Just went through your log on the Manza, quite exhaustive. Hows your opinion about Selenia oil? was there any difference than the usual Mobil1 which these folks fill.
Old 21st February 2012, 13:44   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Hows your opinion about Selenia oil? was there any difference than the usual Mobil1 which these folks fill.
I found selenia to be quite good. As good as Mobil1 for Manza diesel. And it costs about 60% of Mobil1 only.

I guess, you would already know, Selenia WR 5W40 is the only engine oil recommended by Fiat for Punto/ Linea with oil change interval of 15k km's.
Old 26th March 2012, 14:39   #49
BHPian

Quick update. Manza is at 54.7k km's now. No issue to report. Scheduled for 55k km oil change at TASS this Saturday.

Some serious driving in last 45 days. Out of last 7 weekends, I have been on 700km road trip on 5 weekends. I have also been calculating cumulative FE of for this time period.

Km's driven - 4,672
Total diesel consumed - 236 ltr
Total cost of diesel - rs.9,421
Average FE for last 4,672 km's = 19.8kmpl
Average fuel cost per km - rs.2.02

Driving pattern in 45 days has been 70% highway & 30% city. AC usage around 10%. On an average 2 occupants in the car. Pretty happy with the FE.
Old 26th March 2012, 15:34   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1234singla View Post
Km's driven - 4,672
Total diesel consumed - 236 ltr
Total cost of diesel - rs.9,421
Average FE for last 4,672 km's = 19.8kmpl
Average fuel cost per km - rs.2.02.
Great going Amit. FE is a given with Manza. What amazes me is the niggle free service that you have experienced with your car. That is unheard of with any Tata product
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2012, 15:08   #51
BHPian

Re: Manza at 55k km's

Got the oil changed at TASS today morning. On my request, oil used was Selenia WR 5W40. Total cost of engine oil+filter change was 2,624/-.

So now with the car at 55k km's, below is the summary of expenses I incurred on maintaining it.
  • 15k km Oil + Filter change - rs.4,100 (At TASS, Mobil1 0W40)
  • 20k km free service, Fuel + air filter - rs.2,300 (At TASS)
  • 25k km tire upgrade to Apollo aceleres 195/60R15 - rs.10,600
  • 25k km Oil + Filter change - rs.1,000 (Outside, Mobil Delvac MX)
  • 30k km Oil + Filter change - rs.1,000 (Outside, Mobil Delvac MX)
  • 30k km paid service - rs.1,400 (At TASS)
  • 35k km Oil + Filter change + Air filter - rs.2,800 (At TASS, Selenia WR 5W40)
  • 40k km paid service, fuel filter + brake fluid + coolant change - rs.3,500 (At TASS)
  • 47k km Oil + Filter change - rs.1,000 (Outside, Mobil Delvac MX)
  • 48k km EGR valve, air intake manifold, intercooler and turbo hoses cleaning - rs.800 (Outside mechanic)
  • 50k km paid service, Air filter change - rs.1,300 (At TASS)
  • 55k km Oil + Filter change - rs.2,600 (At TASS, Selenia WR 5W40)
  • Other misc expenses like wheel alignmet, balancing, punctures etc - rs.1,000
That's about rs.33k for 55k km's. FE remains ~19kmpl for a 50/50 mix of local and highway drives. Next service will be at 60k km's. At that service I might need to spend some more since till now car is on original suspension, clutch, battery and even original brake pads.

Got this done at Oberoi Cars, Noida. ASC was pretty crowded with cars even on Monday morning, partly due Sterling Auto closing down TATA Fiat dealership in Noida.

Thank you for reading.
amit1234singla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2012, 17:14   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got the oil changed at TASS today morning. On my request, oil used was Selenia WR 5W40. Total cost of engine oil+filter change was 2,624/-.
What I am observing is that you have been doing the oil change at every 5K kms. I believe the scheduled oil change interval is 10K kms (correct me if I am wrong). Then why the shortened interval for oil change?

Quote:
That's about rs.33k for 55k km's. FE remains ~19kmpl for a 50/50 mix of local and highway drives. Next service will be at 60k km's. At that service I might need to spend some more since till now car is on original suspension, clutch, battery and even original brake pads.
Get the brake pads checked & replaced if required. I don't think you need to worry @ the suspension, clutch, battery etc now. If the car is driven regularly then battery can easily last upto 4 years (my factory fitted battery lasted for 4 years & 3 months). If you have good riding habits ie not riding the clucth (which I am sure you must be having), then no need to worry @ the clutch till 100K at least, same with suspension, if the roads you regularly drive are pretty OK.

Last edited by AutoIndian : 2nd April 2012 at 17:15.
Old 2nd April 2012, 19:55   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
What I am observing is that you have been doing the oil change at every 5K kms. I believe the scheduled oil change interval is 10K kms (correct me if I am wrong). Then why the shortened interval for oil change?

Get the brake pads checked & replaced if required. I don't think you need to worry @ the suspension, clutch, battery etc now. If the car is driven regularly then battery can easily last upto 4 years (my factory fitted battery lasted for 4 years & 3 months). If you have good riding habits ie not riding the clucth (which I am sure you must be having), then no need to worry @ the clutch till 100K at least, same with suspension, if the roads you regularly drive are pretty OK.
No, I have not been changing the oil at 5k km's interval. Till 55k km's, I had done 5 oil changes (excluding the one today). Tata initially recommended oil change at 20k km's interval for Manza. I was not comfortable with such a long oil change interval so the first oil change was at 15k km's. That time they filled Mobil1 0W40. After 10k km's on it, I felt the engine had become rough and was not smooth. So at 25k km's I changed the oil outside to Mobil Delvac MX. Since this was good quality mineral oil against the recommended synthetic for Manza, this oil I changed twice at 5k km interval. Then at 35k km's I changed the oil at TASS to Selenia WR 5W40. This oil I used for 12k km's and at 47k km's changed to Mobil Delvac MX. After this at 55k km's today I changed the oil to Selenia WR 5W40. So, overall, I changed oil at TASS thrice, to maintain warranty, at 15k, 35k and 55k km's. In between I changed oil thrice outside.

I know my oil changes have been a bit haywire. I am bringing this on schedule from now on. Next oil change will be at 70k km's. I am going to only use Selenia WR 5W40 in future with 15k km's change interval as this is the only oil recommended by Fiat in their cars with 15k km oil change interval.
  • 15k km Oil + Filter change - rs.4,100 (At TASS, Mobil1 0W40)
  • 25k km Oil + Filter change - rs.1,000 (Outside, Mobil Delvac MX)
  • 30k km Oil + Filter change - rs.1,000 (Outside, Mobil Delvac MX)
  • 35k km Oil + Filter change + Air filter - rs.2,800 (At TASS, Selenia WR 5W40)
  • 47k km Oil + Filter change - rs.1,000 (Outside, Mobil Delvac MX)
  • 55k km Oil + Filter change - rs.2,600 (At TASS, Selenia WR 5W40)
Yes, I will get the brake pads checked at 60k km service. Clutch, suspension and battery are all in good condition. Should last for at least 2 years, 50k km's more, I guess.

Last edited by amit1234singla : 2nd April 2012 at 19:58.
amit1234singla is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2012, 22:31   #54
BHPian

Re: Santro at 85k

My wife's santro completed 85k km's recently. Last oil change was at 77k km's in June 11 and now since this car is mostly driven locally, changed the oil at 8k km interval. Coolant was also changed as it was over 2.5 years back I changed it last time. Charges:

Engine oil, Total 7000 10W40 4L = 1,250
Elofic oil filter = 80
Total Cooltech anti freeze 2L = 380
Wiper blades = 200
Mechanic labor = 100
Car washing labor = 100
Total = 2,110

3L engine oil was used and I have 1L left with me. We are pretty happy with the ownership experience of this car. At 5.75 years and 85k km's we only had changed a battery, a set of tires, front shocks and clutch/ pressure plates in this car other than scheduled fluids and filters. Had a similar experience in our earlier santro, which was sold in June 11 with 133k km's on odo.
~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps View Post
Sounds good enough to me. DO you have any plans of heading there soon? Keep me posted, I'll tag along.
Hey Deeps, I have not forgotton about this, just that I did not go to this shop for sometime. I'll call you a day or two before I go there.
~~~~~~~~~~~

This reminded me that in the last 56.5k km's, I have not spent any money on manza's wheel alignment. First alignment was at 1k km's free service as I had complained to TASS that car is pulling to left. After a bit of arguement, they did not charge me for it. Second alignment was at 25k km's when I changed the tires to 195/60/15. This was not charged as well as I bought the tires from them. In between, never felt the need of alignment checking as the car moved perfectly straight on levelled highways and drifted to left/ right based on road camber. After that, there is no alignment done for last 31.5k km's. Again, never felt the need of alignment checking. Tire wear is also perfectly even and normal.

I am not sure if this is the right approach (i.e not to go for alignment). I am taking it as why fix if it's not broken (and does not have any other issues as well). May be I am a little worried that the tire shops may disturb the alignment which seems perfectly well aligned to me as of now.

I did get the balancing done though at 15, 25 and 45k km's. With alloys and tubeless tires, I have felt that tires don't get imbalanced by more than 10-15 grams (at least in my case).

Any thoughts/ suggestions?
Old 16th April 2012, 09:42   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
At 5.75 years and 85k km's we only had changed a battery, a set of tires, front shocks and clutch/ pressure plates in this car other than scheduled fluids and filters.
Great going with the Santro. I believe you get the regular servicing of this car done outside of HASS, else maintaining any Hyundai car has become very costly now given that they have recently hiked their labour charges.

Quote:
In between, never felt the need of alignment checking as the car moved perfectly straight on levelled highways and drifted to left/ right based on road camber. After that, there is no alignment done for last 31.5k km's. Again, never felt the need of alignment checking. Tire wear is also perfectly even and normal.

I am not sure if this is the right approach (i.e not to go for alignment).
Your approach is perfectly fine. If the car moved perfectly straight on leveled highways after you lifted off your hands from the steering wheel, then your wheel alignment is just fine, no need of checking/adjusting it. However I normally get the alignment checked at every 10K kms, when I get the tyre rotation done. Also whenever any work is done on the suspension/steering (eg replacement of ball joints, tie rod etc), then its better to get the alignment checked.
Old 16th April 2012, 09:55   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Great going with the Santro. I believe you get the regular servicing of this car done outside of HASS, else maintaining any Hyundai car has become very costly now given that they have recently hiked their labour charges.
Yes, I do not go to HASS anymore for this car. Only did 40 and 50k km's service at HASS (details on first page of this thread). Maintaining it outside costs me 50-60% of HASS rates and I get to use better quality fluids as well.

Quote:
Your approach is perfectly fine. If the car moved perfectly straight on leveled highways after you lifted off your hands from the steering wheel, then your wheel alignment is just fine, no need of checking/adjusting it. However I normally get the alignment checked at every 10K kms, when I get the tyre rotation done. Also whenever any work is done on the suspension/steering (eg replacement of ball joints, tie rod etc), then its better to get the alignment checked.
Thanks. Yes, I am aware that if any suspension work is done, alignment check is needed. I am thinking of getting it checked at 60k km's mark, along with balancing and rotation.
Old 16th April 2012, 15:37   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Great going Amit, I recently got my 10K service for my Manza. However, the oil costed 3000 Rs. The TASS used Castrol Edge. My worry is as per manual the recommended oil change is only every 20K. However, the TASS folks are saying that the new recommendation is every 10 K even for synthetic. I am little shocked here. How can a manufacturer change their specification after selling the car ? I as an owner might have budgeted for running costs accordingly. I am ok with my safari oil change every 10 K, it uses mineral oil and also its costs around 280 Rs and even if I change 6.2 litres in safari it costs less than in Manza
I agree that 10 K oil change is better given the Indian driving conditions. However, Please let me know how to get the oil filter....... part number etc so that I can procure the oil from outside, say Selenia and change every 10 K kms. Otherwise, it is turning very costly. The bill for my free 10 K service came to 4K just for oil and filter change. Add 1200 if it is not free and also balancing and alignment cost...... so it will become 6000 Rs for every service of Manza which is very costly for me.

Please help with your inputs
Old 16th April 2012, 16:09   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by power ranger View Post
Great going Amit, I recently got my 10K service for my Manza. However, the oil costed 3000 Rs. The TASS used Castrol Edge. My worry is as per manual the recommended oil change is only every 20K. However, the TASS folks are saying that the new recommendation is every 10 K even for synthetic. I am little shocked here. How can a manufacturer change their specification after selling the car ? I as an owner might have budgeted for running costs accordingly. I am ok with my safari oil change every 10 K, it uses mineral oil and also its costs around 280 Rs and even if I change 6.2 litres in safari it costs less than in Manza
I agree that 10 K oil change is better given the Indian driving conditions. However, Please let me know how to get the oil filter....... part number etc so that I can procure the oil from outside, say Selenia and change every 10 K kms. Otherwise, it is turning very costly. The bill for my free 10 K service came to 4K just for oil and filter change. Add 1200 if it is not free and also balancing and alignment cost...... so it will become 6000 Rs for every service of Manza which is very costly for me.

Please help with your inputs
To maintain warranty, you'll need to change oil at TASS. So I recommend you ask them to use Selenia WR 5W40 (make sure it's Selenia WR, not Selenia K). If they resist, show them the manual where in this oil is recommended to be used. This oil (3.2L) + filter will cost you around rs.2,500 for every oil change.

I have also read the tata circular about reduced oil change intervals. As per the circular the oil to be used is Castrol EDGE 5W40 and Mobil Super 3000 5W40. Both are full synthetic and change interval recommended is 10k km's. Luckily (and funny enough), TASS at my place says both are semi syn, and hence a 10k km change interval. They still allow customers to use full syn oils mentioned in the manual (Mobil1 0W40 and Selenia WR 5W40) and replace at 20k km's (these are full syn as per them).

I am happy to use Selenia, change every 15k km's and pay only rs.650/L.

So I recommend you push them to fill this in your next service. If they do, again please ensure it's Selenia WR 5W40 not Selenia K 5W40 (Selenia WR is for Fiat diesels and K is for Fiat petrols).

Hope this helps. Please let us know how's ur experience with manza so far?
Old 18th April 2012, 00:03   #59
BHPian

Quote:
To maintain warranty, you'll need to change oil at TASS. So I recommend you ask them to use Selenia WR 5W40 (make sure it's Selenia WR, not Selenia K). If they resist, show them the manual where in this oil is recommended to be used. This oil (3.2L) + filter will cost you around rs.2,500 for every oil change.
Thanks Amit, again the TASS just told me that they only have castrol edge. Neither they do allow me to carry Selenia on my own. very frustrating. How to overcome this problem ? The TASS I am referring to is no less than Concorde Bangalore
OK regarding my experience with Manza, so far there has been 2 issues. the front suspension made some noise when it goes over a speed breaker. In this 10 K service, they replaced some suspension bush hopefully this should solve the problem. This is in line with the mandate by Tata motors to replace some anti roll bar bush on all manzas sold till date.

The other issue I had was with the flickering of the LCD in the DIS unit. This too was replaced under warranty

Otherwise, the car is running fine although I feel the AC is not very chilling. Please share your view and I am not really happy with this oil change cost involved and a normal 10 K service costing around 6K. The cost is much higher than my safari. I had planned Manza as an economical vehicle. Lets see. I think the warranty is for 2 years after that I can change the oil outside.

BTW, you did not answer my question as to how do you procure the oil filter from outside ? Dont we need to know the part number ?
Old 18th April 2012, 11:19   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by power ranger View Post
Thanks Amit, again the TASS just told me that they only have castrol edge. Neither they do allow me to carry Selenia on my own. very frustrating. How to overcome this problem ? The TASS I am referring to is no less than Concorde Bangalore

Otherwise, the car is running fine although I feel the AC is not very chilling. Please share your view and I am not really happy with this oil change cost involved and a normal 10 K service costing around 6K. The cost is much higher than my safari. I had planned Manza as an economical vehicle. Lets see. I think the warranty is for 2 years after that I can change the oil outside.

BTW, you did not answer my question as to how do you procure the oil filter from outside ? Dont we need to know the part number ?
I believe their margins on Selenia oil is very less and hence they don't encourage customers to use the same. Initially I was also told the same but then I could get it finally. If they also service Fiat cars, they will have it in stock. Ask them to show you the oil which they fill in Linea/ Punto diesel and you'll see that it's Petronas Selenia WR 5W40.

If you want to, you can easily source Manza OE oil filter outside. Just ask for Tata Quadrajet oil filter from a reputed spares shop. BTW, filter is same for Manza and Vista Quadrajet, Linea/ Punto diesel as well as swift diesel. So even if you can get Maruti Swift Diesel OE filter it should be okay. Just make sure it's OE filter (cost ~rs.375) and not the Purolater or Elofic one (which costs only ~rs.125).

AC in manza is reasonably good. It's not bone chilling but does the job perfectly fine I think. If you are very concerned about the cooling effectiveness in your car, check another manza and finally if required, get the AC system checked in next service.

Hope this helps.
amit1234singla is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks