Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2020, 16:15   #121
Senior - BHPian

2011 Hyundai i20 Asta. EDIT: 62000 km up & EPS module changed twice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Glad to hear you were able to resolve the niggling issue with your i20. The MDPS motor was replaced even on my i20 in the Jan this year.

I regularly watch videos uploaded by Abhijeet in his a2z car service channel on YT and have gained a lot of knowledge on Hyundai cars from him. It has helped me a few times from getting fleeced at the HASS for issues. Infect, the guys at the HASS were surprised as well as annoyed last time I went their for a reverse light issue , when I saw through their bluff and pointed them to the root cause of the problem which cost me 10% of the cost the HASS was quoting. Naturally, they were annoyed

Yes Abhijeet (a2z car) and Tarak (the next generation engineers) work together at Mukesh Hyundai. What you mentioned above is what distinguishes this A.S.S from others. They are an open book as they are showing you how it's done (diagnosis part) so you can always question them if you want.
Old 28th November 2020, 10:58   #122
BHPian

Re: 2011 Hyundai i20 Asta. EDIT: 62000 km up & EPS module changed twice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
I started watching Youtube videos on the EPS related issues with Hyundai car. There were many and I stumbled upon a Hyundai technician who makes videos about various issues in the H cars. The videos were quite informative and genuine. He seemed to know what he is doing.
Can you please share the name of YouTube channel? We have a 2012 i10 and 2016 grand i10 with us. We do have a great FNG looking after both of them but knowing about it will certainly help.

My first job started in July 2016 and that's when I got to take our 2012 i10 to Pune and dad purchased 2016 grand i10 back in hometown. So technically speaking that's my first car and given the attachment I have with it, I don't intend for it to be sold in near future. Since the pandemic, I have moved to my hometown and have had both of them to my disposal, which has made it very clear that I'm okay with grand i10 being sold but not my i10

P.S I understand that 2012 i10 is not at all safe considering the bodyshell and absence of airbags, ABS, etc. when compared to grand i10, I might limit it to city use but I'm not letting it go.
petrolHead_1609 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 12:23   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ODO update: 67500KMs

After owning a Hyundai for close to 10 years, for the first time, I had a rather fairy tale experience with the A.S.S (Mukesh Hyundai) here in Kolkata.
Conclusion
You know what this experience did to me? I was thinking of selling the car. Now, I am having second thoughts. This is what a good service experience can do to you.
Hello Pancham,

How are you? I recollect back in 2011, we both got the same model/variant car at same time and were chatting in PM. Fast forward to 2020, just reading your thread update - WOW what an experience!!
My i20 met with accident back in Mar 2017 when it was around 67K kms in ODO, but haven't faced these problems, as i was heavily using it for several long drives.
Agree that good service technicians also influence our keep/sell the car decision making. Hope you don't run in to these EPS problem again, though we knew about this infamous issue in Hyundai models sold in 2010/2011. Team BHPian SKanchan updates were very helpful to many and now your experience too.
-Ravi
ravib is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 13:36   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Tarak, along with Abhijeet (he is another Youtuber btw with an even larger following) quickly checked the car.
Well, I have now been to Mukesh Hyundai for 3 times exactly. I normally get my Grand i10 serviced at Bengal Hyundai, Agarpara, because there is very less crowd and the service center, though small has all the equipments and the expertise for my regular service. At Noida, I prefer Capital Hyundai, sector 62 Noida. Wonderful experience with them.
(They even changed my steering freewheeling problem under warranty, even without me raising the issue)

I visited Mukesh Hyundai earlier this year, just post lockdown due to an issue in my friend's car. He has the 1.6 CRDi verna fluidic, and it has developed coolant leakage problem, which still remains unsolved.

There I met Abhijeet, because other technicians had already given up on this problem.
We were diagnosing the problem. He was mostly clueless, because according to him, everything seemed fine. He said, if there was a leakage in any of the valves or pipes, coolant spillage marks would be present.
Leaving all the technical details aside,
I told him I was a member at TeamBHP, and he was all praises. Previously I was nagging him with questions, now he was asking me all sorts of questions.

He asked me how to be a member of TeamBHP and, how can he earn money from here.
We were taking about how teamBHP covered articles on good mechanics like Mukesh Chandra Gond(Sector 62, Noida), (that's where I live XD) and whether he'd like me to cover a article on him in this forum.(I think he deserves one)
I also showed him this article and asked him about his thoughts on the same
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-response.html (Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!)

He certainly knows a lot and explained me how a simple faulty tuning in the steering motor did that. I learned a lot! There he also introduced me to Tarak. Honestly I haven't come across his YT channel nor heard about him.

I understood how simple their motive was, and he was so honest. When I told him, I like the passion and dedication with which he makes good quality videos in such detail; he said, he was merely interested due to the revenue which he earns from Youtube. He makes around 20k monthly and said, he's more or less happy from it. Yes, he does share a passion for cars.

The last time I visited Mukesh Hyundai was last week Sunday, as he said he had diagnosed the problem for coolant leakage and had ordered some parts and replaced some. He said, we'll need to make another visit for the same.

It's good to speak with someone like him. Gave me so many insights. Explained me the function of EGR valve, with diagram.

Where we differ are choice of cars. While I still do have my 2017 Grand i10 Asta(p), I now primarily drive my EcoSport S TDCi(2020). And he tries to scare me with cost of maintenance of Ford cars and he tells me I should have bought the Creta or Venue, I tell him I am not buying an overpriced FWD boat, a speed boat though, but a boat(creta)

Or a smaller car than my Grand i10 for twice the price(the venue, for it's lack of space). Have you seen how close the windshield is to the driver or the size of glovebox?

We like to joke about this, and often I tell him how overpriced the Venue is or so many concerns and niggles with the Tuscon. Funny thing, he agrees

His favorite car is the Creta 2020 btw in 1.5 diesel manual; to which I just say, the 1.6 was better.

Don't get me wrong, I am a Hyundai fan, and still love my Grand i10 more than my EcoSport because that was my first car which I had only to myself. I like to change brands with every new purchase.

Tried a Japanese, Korean and an American.
Now, my heart wants something Indian (THAR 2020), and maybe one German dream next.

We are car enthusiasts, and we like to say,
JUST ONE MORE CAR, PROMISE *winks

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 28th November 2020 at 14:17. Reason: Smileys are limited to 2 per post. Thanks!
ron82x3 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 15:30   #125
BHPian

Quote:
After owning a Hyundai for close to 10 years, for the first time, I had a rather fairy tale experience with the A.S.S (Mukesh Hyundai) here in Kolkata. This has been a bit of a boring ownership thread with not much serious activity but I do like to keep the maintenance log updated since i20 is quite popular in the used car market.
Great find! I came across “A2Z car service” on youtube a few months back (Sep 2020) after I got my dad’s i20 (2010) fixed for clutch malfunction. It came up based on youtube’s recommendation however its still useful and there are more videos that are very helpful. You are lucky to have them in your town. It will be worth keeping your i20 for longer with these guys accessible.
I am not sure if this would be the right place but below is my recent experience with i20 clutch malfunction and how this particular problem could be resolved at fraction of cost as per “a2z car service” on youtube.

In Sep 2020, I started experiencing stiffness in my father’s i20 (2010) clutch and once after driving for about 15 kms the clutch remained depressed after removing my feet from the pedal and bounced back up after about 10 seconds. This started happening again in a few days after driving for around 15 kms, but this time after the clutch pedal bounced back up in a few seconds the clutch remained engaged and the car won’t move forward. While we searched for a mechanic’s contact, I started the car again in around 10 minutes and the clutch was disengaged by then and I could use it as I normally do.
I drove back home and looked up the internet to get an idea before I face any mechanic. I figured the problem could be the clutch Master or slave cylinder. Having experienced heavy billing from Hyundai in the past especially a few years back when I excused myself politely when I was quoted Rs 16,000 for a knocking sound near front suspension. I went straight to a recommended mechanic to another part of the town and got it fixed for Rs 800 including cost of a small part replacement.
With pandemic still going stronger I took the car to the nearest FNG in a few days where I get minor car issues sorted.
After hearing me the mechanic’s opinion was that it could be the clutch master cylinder or release cylinder, or clutch release bearing which would require more time, so he suggested me to get the master and slave cylinder replaced first. However I insisted that the problem could be with one of them and there was no reason to replace both of them and I suggested that the slave cylinder is the one that seems to be malfunctioning. Mechanic removed the part and did a physical examination but couldn’t come to a clear conclusion so he suggested that we replace the Master cylinder first as his experience pointed in that direction and also kept the option open for the clutch bearing if the cylinders replacement didn’t help. So I went to the Hyundai spare parts shop in Dehradun and figured that the genuine part was out of stock but there was an after-market part and he was kind enough to agree to refund in case if my problem didn’t go. The genuine part cost was over Rs 6,000 and the after-market came in for Rs 1,400
Since we were not sure which part had the problem, I took the opportunity of refund for the trial and I was back with the after-market master cylinder. After the installation I insisted for a long test drive and after 15 kms the clutch froze again. We came back and I returned the master cylinder and got slave cylinder which was around 1200. For reference the genuine slave cylinder was priced over Rs 3,300. Once we replaced the slave cylinder the mechanic was confident that the problem would be solved. This time the clutch was feather light and I went on my own for a long test drive and the problem was gone and it has been over 3 months now. It costed me Rs 1,700 including the part.
In a few days after I fixed the car, youtube recommended me a video from “a2z car service” based on my past search. I opened the video and found that the slave cylinder was not required to be replaced completely, there was a child part (seal & spring) that required replacement incase there is no damage of any kind inside the cylinder. The cost of child part was around Rs 150.
From my experience with Hyundai Service centers, some try to inflate the bills even for regular service. The last time I was at a service center in Gurgaon for 3rd service of my Diesel Creta they made a service estimate with synthetic oil. I told them to keep the regular mineral oil as supplied in a new car by Hyundai but the SA said I’ll need to service the car within 5,000 kms. Although he had nothing to show where Hyundai suggests service interval of 5,000 kms for using mineral oil. The synthetic oil costs twice as much as mineral oil. Let me know if I am wrong here. Annoyingly they had put a small sticker recommending next service in 5,000 kms near the driver side door hinge.
It would be good if there were more people like the “a2z service” or Tarak Das who make service and repairs experience much better. I also appreciate the management at Mukesh Hyundai Service Centre for giving them free hand and letting them make videos to share it on youtube. If there were service centers like Mukesh Hyundai in my town I would definitely go to Authorized Service Centre for all issues and wouldn’t mind paying extra for labor in comparison to FNG.
MOUNTAINMAN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 18:02   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolHead_1609 View Post
Can you please share the name of YouTube channel? We have a 2012 i10 and 2016 grand i10 with us. We do have a great FNG looking after both of them but knowing about it will certainly help.
Tarak's channel is called "the next generation engineers".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Hello Pancham,

How are you? I recollect back in 2011, we both got the same model/variant car at same time and were chatting in PM. Fast forward to 2020, just reading your thread update - WOW what an experience!!
My i20 met with accident back in Mar 2017 when it was around 67K kms in ODO, but haven't faced these problems, as i was heavily using it for several long drives.
-Ravi
Raviiiiii, how are you? I remember about the accident. So nice to talk to you after so long. Do you still have the car? How many kms has it done? This experience was really nice especially so late into the ownership period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron82x3 View Post
Well, I have now been to Mukesh Hyundai for 3 times exactly.
I visited Mukesh Hyundai earlier this year, just post lockdown due to an issue in my friend's car. He has the 1.6 CRDi verna fluidic, and it has developed coolant leakage problem, which still remains unsolved.
Well Tarak very honestly told me that my i20 upkeep expenses could be higher than maintaining a new Creta. He said the car will be expensive to maintain but it is a great car even by today's standards.

Btw, over the last few months I have started to dislike Hyundai as a company a lot. Especially because all their cars have some major issue and the company does not seem to care about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOUNTAINMAN View Post
I also appreciate the management at Mukesh Hyundai Service Centre for giving them free hand and letting them make videos to share it on Youtube. If there were service centers like Mukesh Hyundai in my town I would definitely go to Authorized Service Centre for all issues and wouldn’t mind paying extra for labor in comparison to FNG.
Exactly my thoughts. The fact that they allow this shows how transparent they are. Fingers crossed, I will stick to them for now for both my Hyundais.
Pancham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 18:15   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

The first gen i20 including the facelift are built solid. Except for the soft suspension which can fixed by up by changing the springs to stiffer ones, this car is a keeper!
sagarpadaki is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th November 2020, 00:43   #128
BHPian

I20 was plagued with steering issues and there was no solution for it. Glad you were able to find a good mechanic. When i sold the car, it still had infamous steering rack rattle.I tried fixing it about 5-6 times and eventually gave up.
Old 30th November 2020, 11:36   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Raviiiiii, how are you? I remember about the accident. So nice to talk to you after so long. Do you still have the car? How many kms has it done? This experience was really nice especially so late into the ownership period.
No Pancham, after the accident, the car was scrapped. Also, we had emotional shock and we don't keep a car that met with major accident. So i bought EcoSport to upgrade to C-SUV a year later.

Beyond the emotional quotient, Please see whether maintaining your i20 makes sense financially. Even otherwise, Normally maintaining a Hyundai is little bit expensive so think about it again

-Ravi
Old 1st December 2020, 15:36   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynike99 View Post
I20 was plagued with steering issues and there was no solution for it. Glad you were able to find a good mechanic. When i sold the car, it still had infamous steering rack rattle.I tried fixing it about 5-6 times and eventually gave up.
Yes, you are right. But this is a different issue seen across many other Hyundai models. The issue lies with the EPS module and motor (2 different units) which can conk off anytime during the ownership period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Beyond the emotional quotient, Please see whether maintaining your i20 makes sense financially.
-Ravi
That is exactly the question I am battling with for many many months now. Whether to keep it to let go. I have my road tax due in May 2021 as well ~ another > INR 35k expense. All in all I will be spending close to 70K on the car this year. It is quite a lot and will only keep going up.
Old 1st December 2020, 20:24   #131
BHPian

Quote:
MH has multiple workshop all across the state.
Sorry if you've already mentioned this, but which MH workshop did you go to? I go to their Khardaha service centre sometimes for my Santro, and my experience has been nothing but great, too.
Old 1st December 2020, 20:28   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
Sorry if you've already mentioned this, but which MH workshop did you go to? I go to their Khardaha service centre sometimes for my Santro, and my experience has been nothing but great, too.

I think I missed mentioning it. It's the VIP road / Keshtopur one. Try it. Speak to Tarak directly. There are few others I know - Anand (for my Santro) and Gupi (for my i20).
Old 28th December 2022, 14:45   #133
Senior - BHPian

I think this thread deserves an update and a 'closure'.

The car was sold off in January 2021 (few months shy of completing a decade) in the midst of the pandemic. I still have mixed feelings about the car being sold. I had booked the Thar and I always intended to keep one car. So, inevitably, this car was going to be sold. So I got it evaluated by the Mahindra showroom guys. They started with INR 1L and eventually I negotiated it to INR 1.85L (it was INR 6.3L when new) . The Road Tax (35K) and insurance (5-10K) was immediately due. So I think I got a half-decent deal on it. Also, there were issues cropping up every now and then so it was becoming a bit expensive to maintain. Nevertheless, this car will always remain very close to my heart and to this date, I miss it very much.

The sale process was surprisingly smooth. I was given an option to take a voucher - the amount would have been reduced from the Thar OTR when taking delivery. Luckily I opted for cash as I never got the Thar (they never delivered me the Thar after 11 months of waiting). The RC transfer took 15 days and I was shared the new RC over Whatsapp.

The car being handed over to the Mahindra showroom guys. ODO was at around 69K.

2011 Hyundai i20 Asta. EDIT: 62000 km up & EPS module changed twice-whatsapp-image-20221228-2.43.16-pm.jpeg

Till next time! Adios old friend!

Last edited by Pancham : 28th December 2022 at 15:05.
Old 29th December 2022, 22:36   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Also, there were issues cropping up every now and then so it was becoming a bit expensive to maintain.
Hi Pancham
What were the issues you faced? I'm asking since my i20 will complete 9 years soon and has done about 140k Km (120k Km on CNG). Any suggestions?
Old 30th December 2022, 10:09   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB16 View Post
Hi Pancham
What were the issues you faced? I'm asking since my i20 will complete 9 years soon and has done about 140k Km (120k Km on CNG). Any suggestions?
First of all, congratulations! 140k km is a lot.

So some of the issues I faced were as follows:

1. Wiper movement issues (wipers getting stuck intermittently): When I got this checked, the ASC guys in Noida claimed that the whole wiper assembly had developed rust and needs to be replaced. Cost 19K.

2. EPS module issue: This issue is well documented in this thread. I had to run from one corner of Delhi to another to source the parts and get this fixed. Later on I realised I got the wrong part and paid almost as much as the ASC. Lesson learnt: for mechanical work try and stick to ASC. Steering getting stuck was a recurring issue btw. The Noida ASC guys quoted 30k. Eventually, transported the car to Kolkata and got the job done for 5k.

3. Rusting issue: There was a bit of rust in the engine bay area that had developed long back. This was also at the back of my mind.

4. Electronic ORVMs stopped working: Another expensive repair. The right side ORVM would not fold 9 out of 10 times.

Overall, wear and tear parts were cropping up now and again and they were expensive. Smaller issues included some of the steering buttons not working. Again ASC guys were not keep on fixing it as it involved a lot of work.

Most Viewed