Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2012, 22:56   #16
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Nope 45k is not the ideal life of a clutch - especially with substantial highway usage - but a single incident of having to half clutch up a steep slope can reduce the life of a clutch. Also if one or ones diver has a habit if riding the clutch while dricing or not fully pressing it during gear change - seen with shorter persons at times - then the life of the clutch could be reduced. That said anything after 50k is reasonable though at times clutch do last beyond 100k kms as well.

MK ll definately has the looks and is great value for money they just got the branding wrong at the start by associating it with the sumo name. Just Gande would have done fine enough.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2012, 23:06   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Sumo Grande MKII GX long term review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
MK ll definately has the looks and is great value for money they just got the branding wrong at the start by associating it with the sumo name. Just Gande would have done fine enough.
"Gande". I think you meant Grande.

Tata somehow earned a name for not so reliable cars. Aria customers are having to wait 3+ months for spares to arrive before the repair is made. This really deters a person from plonking 10+ lacs on a Tata MUV. The Market is maturing more and more and people know thier product.

To Change this perception, Tata must offer unparallelled warranty (say 5 years which even Toyota does not offer) and offer replacement cars on say Safari and Aria during service. Small things like this will go a long way to build image.
Old 12th September 2012, 09:41   #18
BHPian

Thought will update on the maintenance that I had to in the past few months.

• I was not very comfortable with the braking on the highway. It has lost the bite it had. According to the service advisor the pads had enough life left, but I changed it and I was happy that I did that. It cost me Rs 2240 +Rs 550 for labour
  • The head flasher started to malfunction. The headlight came on its own and refused to go off. Ended up changing that too at a cost of Rs 916(Sounds like a Porsche ) plus labour of Rs 250. Both of the above happened at around 48,500 Km on the odo. I was happy with the response and speed at which VST, OMR Chennai did the work. I am glad that I changed over from Concorde ECR to VST OMR
  • Couple of weeks back the front windshield started leaking in the rain. On closer examination I found that above the rear view mirror the roof panel has corroded and I couldn't believe it. Exactly a year back the wind shield was changed at Concorde since some miscreants had broken it when they were trying to kill the pigeons in my apartment. Soon after that it had leaked and they had to seal it again. I suppose they have goofed up in that. I am taking the car today to Concorde and I hope that they will do the repairs free of cost. I have also spoken to a TATA official and probably that will help.
Old 25th October 2012, 12:02   #19
BHPian

A quick update as I am approaching 60,000 KMs

-Changed my rear brake linings and a that time found the wheel cylinder to be jammed a couple of weeks back.
-My front right door lever broke; don't how my driver managed to do it... Will get it replaced soon
- Yesterday the remote failed and I was stranded in Palmgrove hotel where I went with my family for lunch. On contacting my VST OMR service manger(he was on leave to see his new born child, but he answered immediately ) he arranged for someone to come and sort the problem in less than an hour.
arulpeem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2012, 12:26   #20
BHPian

The remote problem now has turned out to be a failure of the BCM, Body Control Module . It is going to cost me nearly 6K. I was asking them if they can just delink the immobilizer alone, but it seems the BCM controls all the electrical parts like headlights, indicators, etc. Therefore I have no choice but to go for a new replacement
Old 8th December 2012, 00:36   #21

Is there a way to unlock or re-tune Tata Sumo Grande engine power to 140bhp form the current 120bhp and torque from 250nm to 320nm.

This should be possible because this is the same engine that also powers Safari that generates 140bhp power and 320nm torque.

Kindly somebody suggest.

Best

Ganesh
Old 21st May 2013, 11:26   #22
BHPian

@Iganimys,

I have missed this post completely. I am trying get the Racedynamics tuning box installed which is supposed to be good and have various options in it to set the desired characteristics.
If I get to install it I will post my feedback on the performance soon...

The below thread is dedicated for them. It should give you a good idea

Racedynamics: DieselTronic Tuning Box
Old 25th May 2013, 07:57   #23
BHPian

Yesterday I fixed the Dieseltronics tuning box of Racedynamics. Got it done at Ignite, Akkarai, Chennai. I placed the order on Wednesday and the box arrived the next day. Fixing was done in a jiffy, hardly a couple of minutes.

Took it for a short drive along with Raghav, owner of Ignite. At a constant throttle position the change from Stock to P1 gave a perceptible increase in power/torque.
From P1 to P2 gave a very good surge in power and I was really happy.
From P1 to E there was a perceptible drop in the pull.
After that I just drove the car back to Thiruvanmiyur.

Tomorrow the vehicle is going for a long trip Chennai-Salem-Namakkal-Udumalaipettai and back to Chennai in 4 days, but with the driver
I will keep it in the E economy mode and see what mileage I get. I have been consistently getting 12.5 to 13 till date in my long trips. I always measure it tank full to tank full.
Once it back I will do the city driving in P1 mode and report the fuel consumption.
arulpeem is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2013, 06:37   #24
BHPian

Moderators: If you feel that this has to be under the Racedynamcis thread please feel free to move it.

Feedback on RaceDynamics/Dieseltronics tuning box on mu Grande MKII:
The SUV did a 1300 Km trip. It was in economy mode and the diver was not aware of the changes or the tuning box. He is a light footed driver(when my wife or I am there) and my wife there throughout and she ensures that he drives sedately.

My usual mileage till date has been around 12.5 and best was 13. In this trip it has given me overall 13.75 in Economy mode. Which is an increase of about 10%.
The driver did not feel the slight drop in power at all.

It is going out today on an a trip to Pudukottai with my friend and I have changed the mode to P1. Let me see what happens. My driver again is unaware of the change.

Reading Distance Fuel Mileage
68007 688 50.40 13.65
68527 520 37.50 13.87
arulpeem is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2013, 10:37   #25
BHPian

@arulpeem:
Great to see Grande doing 13.75!
Also, I am not sure why you have added a tuning box.
I am really worried about the way the tall boy handles even with 120BHP and hard braking without the ABS! Hope your driver will not get carried away whence he finds out you got a racer at hand!
Be safe
Old 3rd June 2013, 11:11   #26
Senior - BHPian

Hi Arulpeem, Thank you for keeping this thread updated. Kindly do post some photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arulpeem View Post

Couple of weeks back the front windshield started leaking in the rain. On closer

the car today to Concorde and I hope that they will do the repairs free of cost. I have also spoken to a TATA official and probably that will help.

What is the update on this? Did concord fix it for you free of charge?
Old 3rd June 2013, 16:55   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Hi Arulpeem, Thank you for keeping this thread updated. Kindly do post some photos.
What is the update on this? Did concord fix it for you free of charge?
Hi unfortunately there was no response to my mails to Tata motors. Also the Concorde Service Manager brushed it aside saying that I should have come within a couple weeks and also I would have used salty water for cleaning the vehicle leading to the rusting and the leakage.
I got it repaired at VST and believe it or not, three days back when washing the car the leak has recurred in the same locaton
Will take it to them once the vehicle is back in two days time. I will post the photographs sometime soon. I haven't done it till date.
arulpeem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2013, 16:59   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbospooler View Post
@arulpeem:
Great to see Grande doing 13.75!
Also, I am not sure why you have added a tuning box.
I am really worried about the way the tall boy handles even with 120BHP and hard braking without the ABS! Hope your driver will not get carried away whence he finds out you got a racer at hand!
Be safe
Hi Thanks and the purpose of adding the tuning box was to use it in Eco mode when the driver is using it and then inn P1 when I driving it. The P2 will be used very rarely and that too by only me and I am reasonably sedate and at 53 one becomes sedate . The remote will be controlled only by me and never handed over to the driver.
arulpeem is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2013, 09:46   #29
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arulpeem View Post
Hi Thanks and the purpose of adding the tuning box was to use it in Eco mode when the driver is using it and then inn P1 when I driving it. The P2 will be used very rarely and that too by only me and I am reasonably sedate and at 53 one becomes sedate . The remote will be controlled only by me and never handed over to the driver.
Hi Arul,

Good information!! The increase in mileage is quite good and you will be able to recover the costs very quickly.

Please let me know how much you paid for the RD box.
Old 3rd July 2013, 14:24   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Hi Arul,

Please let me know how much you paid for the RD box.
Dear MAS,
I paid Rs 19,700/- and Ignite is the dealer.
I have done city driving for the last few weeks at P1 and will post the mileage by this week end.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks