Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2011, 08:53   #1
BHPian

My Story @ 33333 KM, I am a Wagon R VXI

Hi Everyone, let me first introduce myself. I am cutie, fondly called and referred as 'Red Cutie' in most of my bossy's posts. He has been pondering long over posting his long term ownership report in this forum but just failing to make it there. These days bossy has been very busy in his office work and finding it hard to manage work life balance as well as work social network balance, on the other hand I just crossed 33333 KM in my around 4 and a half years of journey so decided to take matter in own hands and script my own story here (anyway bossy is so much positively biased on everything good I hold, he would definitely have failed to post an impartial ownership report !)

The journey began in February 2007 when he moved to Hyderabad to work in his dream company, which eventually helped him realise his another dream, to own and drive a car (company leased car policy allowed him not to even look at his bank balance and still buy a car of his own in no time !). Being an unmarried but committed true Indian son / boyfriend, all he needed was a sign-off from both his parents and his would-be better half (I still don't understand why they coined this term 'better half', looks unfair to me). The task was accomplished with ease and there was absolutely no complexity involved in short-listing the prospective vehicles. Me and my siblings (Swift and Alto) were identified and since it was the purchase of the very first car in the family, bossy didn't want to go beyond my ever reliable parents (Maruti). Anyway there weren't much options those days to pick from my segment (not that he would have gone for a ford or a hyundai or a chevy or anything else even if they were there).
Jab we met

Back to how we met for the first time, bossy visited the showroom located in Banjara hills area in Hyderabad and took a look at me and my siblings inside out. My younger one was just too small to accommodate his 5.11" frame and long legs. My elder sibling was just not picked, both for her looks, which at that time didn't fascinate many, and then her price. Well, in fact the true reason why I was chosen is that I deserved to be. I suited his requirements and aspirations much better way than the others. My tall design, humongous leg space at the front, absolutely airy feel, and crystal clear road view with a great boot, was exactly what he needed as an amatuer driver that time. Again, he so much relied on the brand and my reputation that he didn't even take a TD of mine. (Crap, he didn't know driving when we met and I entered his family, although he disagrees !). I was bought at around INR 4.2 lac OTR including subtle accessories such as Sony music system, mud flaps, idol, perfume, seat covers etc. and for some strange reasons my shoes were of JK make (At that time there were several others who got MRF on the same model as me). One of his friend who accompanied him while purchasing, along with his mom, drove me home, after a short puja at the showroom. That's all about jab we met and jab we set !

Initial adventures and wounds

Within 5 days of my arrival, bossy decided to take me for a ride and inside the apartment premises, on a sharp curve, hit my another sibling, a stationary M800 whose owner was inspecting the damages done to his old car as he had just hit a piller in the parking ! My right rear door got a slight dent and a scratch, and bossy's heart got a bigger scratch and wallet a bigger dent ! Just as he was in a dilemma whether to have the paint job done again or wait for some more time to have complete mastery over driving, a situation arrived and he decided to take me to his hometown (home-village rather). He shared my drive with his friend and note that I did not have a permanent registration, PUC or any other legal document and he did not have a driving license. Midway we were eventually caught by traffic police and paid 600 bucks to them for a proper challan. The new car saga for my bossy didn't end there as in the same trip, some village boy just found my bright metallic red surface the perfectly suited one to hone his drawing skills and sketched a nice looking typical boy image with two hands two legs and a smiling face on my left front door. The tool used for this art was a pointed stone (or probably set of such pointed stones of various metrics). That's there. He decided to get the paint job immediately done once back and did so rightfully @ 5200 bucks both my left doors repaint from A.S.S.

Things bossy likes in me

1) My beautiful looks and..well..my well maintained figure
2) My ever reliable heart
3) I give a lot of personal 'space' to him, and a good one at that
4) I do not induce any kind of fatigue in him when we are together, especially because of my high stance and humongous leg room at the front, no matter at what time of the day and for how much the distance is. We have done several hundred kilometers on the trot and I never thought he was tired even on a single occassion, neither did I btw !
5) He has done miles and miles of off-roading with me and we didn't face a single untoward incident during those rides (they still call it off-roading when you drive to remote places and small to very small villages in India)
6) I manage to keep his adrenaline rush in control thereby ensuring him and his family a safe and sound drive without physical hurt or mental trauma and he acknowledges and admires it the most, why, cause I still give him the feel of driving at 120 kmph when he is driving at 90 kmph. A win-win situation nevertheless.
7) Once he bought a center table for his home and just loaded it in my folded rear + boot and I still remember the reaction of his friend who owns my sibling swift on listening to this in office parking !!
8) I am never short of power for him as he is a sedate driver (or has become so especially after owning me !!)
9) How much I generally travel per litre of fuel? well, in city it's somewhere around 14 to 16 kmpl with AC on, and on highways it is around 20 kmpl with AC on.

Things which bossy dislikes in me

Nothing. Alright before you think I am an arrogant fool, let me tell you bossy would have given the above reply. I will be self critical and brutally honest.
1) I still think my looks do not appeal to majority of them..These men huhh... Women although like me being a practical companion to their family
2) My parents do not really focus on my outer fitness so I am bound to get aged sooner than others and that reflects in some of the noises you might hear inside me
3) I am not really the one who appreciates high speed driving on the highways, in a sense, I am not really a car for driving enthusiasts. Having said that, I have the prowess to turn any driver into a driving enthusiast once inside the city !!
4) To induce power in me, one has to really adjust his/her driving style and I am talking about my gear shifts here (my lower gears are sometimes hard to shift to)
5) Rear seating might not be as comfortable as few of the newly introduced rivals in the market.

All those gifts he has showered on me so far

In last 4 and half years, bossy has always taken a good care of mine. He has always looked after my needs and addressed them on a high priority. Take for example, he changed my shoes once I completed 30k kilometers. Now I am a proud owner of 5 brand new bridgestone shoes. He changed my battery after 4 years completion. I got a new Amaron one !! He has also gifted me a good leather cover for my steering. He has also provided me a sun film so that I don't get overheated from inside. He has also enabled a good entertainment for me in the form of high quality sony Xplod speakers. He has taken me to the doctors for routine checkup once every 6 months, and thorough cleaning during rains every 2 months. These and many more things he has done for me, along with not pushing me to the limits in any way, which I regard very highly.

What have I done for him

I am his first car, his second dream and first passion. Out of 33333 km that we have travelled together, hardly half would be in the city and rest on highways. We have conquered almost all variety of roads, bad ones, very bad ones, nonexistent, average, narrow, steep, muddy, wet, good, great and excellent amongst them and also toured in almost all possible seasons, heavy rains, scorching heat, chilling cold and then have the permutation combination of weather + roads !!! WE have been there and done that. Never for a moment he felt unsecure with me, never for a moment I gave him any sense of trouble, not even the slightest hint. I was always there whenever he needed me to go anywhere. I never cribbed before journey and he never cribbed after journey (and mind you I never cribbed after journey as well) !

We have shared some beautiful moments, like his first drive after marriage with his wife, his friend's marriage and I was the ONE...chosen, his first drive with his parents onboard, his first drive with 7 people onboard where 2 sat in my boot and we roamed around Hyderabad in the off-peak time when it was relatively safer to do so. Talking about safety, let me share a very emotional moment with you. Recently while travelling from Nagpur to Hyderabad, bossy got overconfident and didnt take a short break as he usually does. Hyderabad was just 100 km away and he thought he would make it without a break. The roads were nice and broad, with divider and bossy along with his wife was driving with his shades on, the mild music on, AC on and obviously all windows completely rolled up. Bossy suddenly dozed off for a fraction of a second (he doesn't realize for how much time). The roads were straight as an arrow and onesided broad ones, I realized what's happening and tried in vain to wake him up before something untoward happens to him or me, and decided to take the wounds on me to save him from a bigger trouble. Gradually I moved towards the divider, saw the inevitable coming, and got myself in a straight line as possible, made a screeching sound by rubbing my wheel covers against the divider boundaries thereby finally waking him up immediately. In a fraction of a second only he got control of me again and without the slightest hint of swerve, got back on the track. Till date, he attributes this to the deadly combination of shades, music choice and strong AC. I want him to realize that a driver can only be 50% perfect. A break is an integral part of a long drive no matter which roads you drive on and where and when you drive on. He thinks just by having a good night's sleep and starting the drive early mornings would help him drive continuously without dozing off, which is not true. He absolutely hates straight broad roads as they dont offer any driving fun, and add to the 'boring' quotient and put them as an excuse for the incident as well. However, to share the secret with you, he told his wife it's just ME who saved the day. Who says machines don't have a heart.

I have forgiven him for my wounds, they are not even visible but are witness to what could have gone horrendously wrong if it was not for the perfect combination of ME being driven by HIM. If such thing happens in future, I will always be there to save him from trouble. It will be he who will decide when and how to get over me and upgrade, but the same thing's not gonna happen from my side. I like being in his company and I will continue to be with him without causing him physical or mental pain. The day I realize I can do no good for him, I will give up on my own. For now, wish us many more miles of drives together which we really enjoy a lot.

P.S. - my picture is not something which is really relevant in my story as I have been there in many of bossy's posts already !!!
sforsarang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2011, 11:24   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Story @ 33333 KM, I am a Wagon R VXI

Hi sforsarang

I am too a happy and satisfied WagonR owner for the past 33,000 KMs. The car is just perfect for city driving. And you are getting some exceptional mileage for this car. I never got more than 14 KMPL; last tank full went for 12 KMPL with 100% AC on. You didn’t mention anything related to service costs; what was the expenditure on 30K service?

Also please share some pictures of your ride as an ownership report is never complete without pictures.

Happy motoring and wish you many more happy miles to come!!

Last edited by bluevolt : 8th June 2011 at 11:26.
Old 8th June 2011, 12:04   #3
Senior - BHPian

Sarang, now this one's really from the heart!!
Liked the way you have narrated the complete story from your car's pov. While being funny, you have managed to highlights all of it's pro's and cons . Your write up has some real special moments in it. You really love your car, ain't you ?

Quoting some good moments in your write up. I was literally similing reading through your posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sforsarang View Post
Quote:
(anyway bossy is so much positively biased on everything good I hold, he would definitely have failed to post an impartial ownership report !)
Quote:
Jab we met
(Crap, he didn't know driving when we met and I entered his family, although he disagrees !).That's all about jab we met and jab we set !
Quote:
However, to share the secret with you, he told his wife it's just ME who saved the day. Who says machines don't have a heart.
I have forgiven him for my wounds
Quote:
We have shared some beautiful moments, like his first drive after marriage with his wife, his friend's marriage and I was the ONE...
Quote:
Things bossy likes in me
6) I manage to keep his adrenaline rush in control thereby ensuring him and his family a safe and sound drive without physical hurt or mental trauma and he acknowledges and admires it the most, why, cause I still give him the feel of driving at 120 kmph when he is driving at 90 kmph. A win-win situation nevertheless.
7) Once he bought a center table for his home and just loaded it in my folded rear + boot and I still remember the reaction of his friend who owns my sibling swift on listening to this in office parking !!
8) I am never short of power for him as he is a sedate driver (or has become so especially after owning me !!)]
I loved how you highlighted one of the major drawbacks of the WagonR, but it implies that you have adjusted to it's limitation and doesn't mind not being in a car which can't handle well, any speed above 100kmph.

Quote:
Things which bossy dislikes in me
3) I am not really the one who appreciates high speed driving on the highways, in a sense, I am not really a car for driving enthusiasts. Having said that, I have the prowess to turn any driver into a driving enthusiast once inside the city !!
4) To induce power in me, one has to really adjust his/her driving style and I am talking about my gear shifts here (my lower gears are sometimes hard to shift to)]
Was kinda surprised to read this here, because I thought you have already covered it above in Things that you like. Love it and hate it at the same time ?

Quote:
P.S. - my picture is not something which is really relevant in my story as I have been there in many of bossy's posts already !!!
Oh!! and please do post some pics of your Waggy on this thread. An ownership thread without a pics will not do.
And as bluevolt, asked, do also post some numbers about your servicing costs, etc.
Old 8th June 2011, 12:50   #4
BHPian

Hey guys just happened to check this thread and till now I wasn't aware of what she has done behind my back . Now that she has already started, let me complete it with some pics and further details. Since I am not currently near her, posting few of her very selected snaps taken.
She's just arrived !!!
My Story @ 33333 KM, I am a Wagon R VXI-sarang-wagonr-001.jpg

That's how she likes being driven
My Story @ 33333 KM, I am a Wagon R VXI-p020710_10.19_01.jpg

And she has some feminine traits as well !!
My Story @ 33333 KM, I am a Wagon R VXI-p300610_08.07.jpg
Old 8th June 2011, 13:22   #5
BHPian

Thank you very much BlueVolt and FordManchau !!
@BlueVolt, the reason for her good FE is that my daily commute is mere 5 km two-way and I religiously avoid high traffic zones or peak traffic times while moving inside the city whenever possible. Also, on highways, probably its my sedate driving which gives me a good mileage. Again, when I say with AC on, that means out of 100 minutes of driving, AC was on for 20 minutes !! I dislike AC as it induces dizziness in me after some time.
@FordManchau, appreciate your comments, well, on her behalf !! Truly meant for her.
Regarding service and maintenance costs, around 12000 bucks spent so far on regular services at 6 months interval, pre and post monsoon, and pre and post full point check up before any long drive. Servicing with oil change generally costs me around 2000 bucks and without oil change less than 1000, anywhere between 700 to 900. Full point check up for 500 bucks and thorough car wash post long tour costs around 300 bucks. 5 replacement tyres costed around 12000 and battery costed 3000. Apart from that, paint job once early in her life cycle @ 5200 and rear left door lock replacement costed around 2000. Everything;s done at Maruti A.S.S. although not much satisfied with Gem motors... they really do a bad job many times..

@FordManchau, on the likes part, probably she meant she doesnt lack power, on the dislikes part, she was not much happier about her gear shifts ...!

Last edited by benbsb29 : 8th June 2011 at 16:46. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts. Plz use the Edit button if posting within 30 mins of previous post.
Old 8th June 2011, 15:41   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Beautiful report man and the report from the POV of the Waggie.
Me too got a black one but it's an LXi.
Yep, if the gearshift was smooth,then nothing could beat this as a city car.
Old 13th September 2011, 17:06   #7
BHPian

Hey Dicky, Thanks Sir. Somehow I got this notification very late. not sure why. Wish you many more happy miles with your cutie. Please post your ownership experience with loads of pics as well, and also, how's the gearshift and power now, I assume you got the blue eyed boy?
Old 18th September 2011, 18:47   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Dicky, Thanks Sir. Somehow I got this notification very late. not sure why. Wish you many more happy miles with your cutie. Please post your ownership experience with loads of pics as well, and also, how's the gearshift and power now, I assume you got the blue eyed boy?
Not the blue eyed boy, it's the old one. Bought it two years back.
Old 24th February 2012, 14:24   #9
Senior - BHPian

Hello Sarang,

Sincerely appreciate you writing skills.

You have narrated the entire Ownership Report in vert interesting manner You have also beautifully listed its positives & negative sides.

I also own a 2007 Wagon R Vxi & am totally satisfied with it. I recently changed piston rings due to Engine Oil leak in spark plug well & also changed Exhaust assembly. Apart from that no major expense.

I get a mileage of arouond 18 - 19 on highway & between 12 - 14 in city depending on traffic.

Thanks,

Most Viewed