Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2014, 12:33   #31
BHPian

re: 2006 Maruti Swift VXi: Long Term Ownership Report. EDIT: 100,000 km up & sold

Hi Noopster,

Thanks for keeping the thread alive.

I own 2008 Swift Vxi. Clocked 48000 Km and similar to yours, its largely driven by my wife.
With the arrival of Fortuner Swift has taken the neglect, so much so that I have not serviced it since October 2013.

But I changed to synthetic during 40K service, which was a major one.

I find that there is nothing much to be done at 50K service interval so it would be best to run in 10,000 Km before next service. I do keep checking the Engine oil quality & Level along with Filter & Radiator cleaning.

Any suggestion. Thanks
Wanderers is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 16:58   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

re: 2006 Maruti Swift VXi: Long Term Ownership Report. EDIT: 100,000 km up & sold

New shoes time for Swifty!

Since monsoons have already struck (and how!) I'm glad I did this last weekend when the rains were relatively gentle. Chose Michelin Energy XM2 this time over the incumbent Yoko A drives. Nothing against the latter, just that the dealer told me "Michelin is Michelin" and with that rather cryptic argument, I was convinced.

Did the deed at Lokmanya Tyres off Karve Road.

Jackin' her up!
2006 Maruti Swift VXi: Long Term Ownership Report. EDIT: 100,000 km up & sold-26072014009.jpg

My spare tyre was an 8 year old 165/80 JK Tornado that had thankfully never been used. Swapped it for the least worn of the Yokos this time around:
2006 Maruti Swift VXi: Long Term Ownership Report. EDIT: 100,000 km up & sold-26072014013.jpg

New tyres go on:
2006 Maruti Swift VXi: Long Term Ownership Report. EDIT: 100,000 km up & sold-26072014016.jpg

Back on terra firma:
2006 Maruti Swift VXi: Long Term Ownership Report. EDIT: 100,000 km up & sold-26072014017.jpg

Aligning the Michelins:
2006 Maruti Swift VXi: Long Term Ownership Report. EDIT: 100,000 km up & sold-26072014019.jpg
2006 Maruti Swift VXi: Long Term Ownership Report. EDIT: 100,000 km up & sold-26072014020.jpg

She looks much nicer with her shoes on, doesn't she?
2006 Maruti Swift VXi: Long Term Ownership Report. EDIT: 100,000 km up & sold-260720140212.jpg

I broached the topic of replacing the Swift recently and was met with a stern "With what?" I meekly replied, "Grand i10?" and was met with an icy stare and a clipped, "You are proposing I replace my beautiful Swift...with an i10?"

So that's that I guess
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2016, 08:58   #33
vns

Thanks a lot for your detailed explanation. I own a swift 2008 Model and clocked 52k. When i gave the car for servicing @ Kalyani, BG Road Bangalore he's charging me for the following
1) AC Duct Cleaning 900
2) Brake OH 800 etc.

After the last service i'd seen brake light warning flashing in couple of months. When i checked, found brake oil was low and got it refilled. Withing 2-3 months i see the same issue and he says there is leakage in Booster and replacement costs 15k. Also for the front suspension (which is bad and gone), they are charging approx 10k.

Is it normal for Booster leakage ? I suspect they've done something during last service which has caused the leakage.

Could you please advice ?

Thanks
Old 15th April 2016, 06:42   #34
Senior - BHPian

It's good to see a ownership report on the first generation Swift.
We have a 2005 Swift Lxi run 45k kms used by my dad, and maintained by me.

For a 11 year old car, it is holding up well with few parts replaced. Major expense was the AC overhaul few years back.
Will share details of the upcoming service for the 11th year.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2016, 15:19   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

The Swift crossed 90,000 km a few weeks ago. We need it for an upcoming long weekend trip so sent it off for servicing on Friday. Chose MAS this time, a change from the 80,000 km service two years ago which we did at Tune Up Plus.

Sehgal Autoriders have their service setup at Bavdhan, not too far from my place. They said they would pick it up and drop it off from home and finish the service on the same day. Sounded good, so asked them to go ahead. Turned out to be the rainiest day of the year which meant it took a day longer.

In addition to the basic oil and filter changes, there was the following work done:
  • Wiper blades changed (I didn't like the bulky aftermarket ones that were installed last time around, so opted for stock).
  • Gear lever knob was breaking and had to be replaced. They gave me the Baleno one instead.
  • Couple of bulbs replaced including the interior light.
  • Problem with the hatch release button- fixed.
  • Coolant top-up.
  • Brake oil top-up.
  • Front seat was not slotting into position- fixed.
  • While the work was in progress I got a call from the SA informing me that the struts and shock absorbers, both front and back, needed replacement. I had been putting this off for quite a while so I agreed to it this time. This formed the biggest bulk of the expense (around 12k).
Total damages= nearly 21,000/-

Car feels like new. I need to get the wheels aligned and balanced from outside as I usually do. The ride feels much better with the revamped shocks. The new gearknob is nice to grasp and looks lovely as well.

2006 Maruti Swift VXi: Long Term Ownership Report. EDIT: 100,000 km up & sold-gearknob.jpg
noopster is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th August 2016, 18:08   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
The Swift crossed 90,000 km a few weeks ago. We need it for an upcoming long weekend trip so sent it off for servicing on Friday. Chose MAS
What a co-incidence.

My dad's Swift was given for the 11th year service last weekend and gear knob was replaced with that of a Ciaz.
It had broken off earlier and was stuck with super glue. Although they had the stock knob, they used this, no idea why. That makes it the second non-stock part in the car apart from the horn.

Car has run around 55k kms and the usual services was carried out. The complains were coolant leak from under the dash when heater was used. The heater unit had to be replaced which is around 3.5k. The coolant pipe was bypassed from the heater as a temporary fix.
The driver seat belt had begun shredding on one side. The complete seat belt assembly has to be replaced which is around 6k.
Shockers are still stock, but I can feel they won't last much long.
Bill amount was around 4.5k

Overall the car is a hoot to drive still thanks to the old 1.3 engine.

Last edited by tharian : 20th August 2016 at 18:11.
tharian is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2019, 19:17   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Whoa has it really been over 3 years since the last update...!

I was out of the country for a while and the Swift was used rather infrequently during that time. But it had been steadily racking up the miles and was close to the 1L mark when I got it serviced less than a month ago. Wifey reported that the check engine light was coming on so I had Anirudh (599gto) at The Mechanix pick it up and do a quick service. He reported that the clutch needed replacing so got that done as well. Suspension check found nothing wrong, thankfully.

Car is its usual zippy and dependable self now (took it for some longish city drives as well as an overnight trip to Pawana recently). And just a couple of days ago it achieved an incredible milestone: the second of my cars to reach the magic 1L km number!

2006 Maruti Swift VXi: Long Term Ownership Report. EDIT: 100,000 km up & sold-2145975a956647d39a0dd8aecb55867a.jpeg

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2020 at 19:41. Reason: Picture inserted in-line.
noopster is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 13:31   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally, the day has dawned when we bid goodbye to Swifty

This wasn't a decision taken lightly. About a year ago, after getting the 1 lakh km service done, we added a new head unit with integrated reverse camera thinking we will keep the Swift in the family even after its 15 year registered life is up. I even found some RTO contact who would do the COF and other formalities to keep her going for another 5 years on the road.

But then we thought about it more practically. Since lockdown more than 6 months ago, this car has barely been used. Our "new" car, the Vento is itself touching the 10-year mark. Did it really make sense to hold on to the Swift any more?

As festive season approaches, dreams about a new car started taking over. We shopped around for a crossover in the ~20L ballpark and in the process several dealers started making us offers for the Swift. End up selling it to the Kia Motors dealer from whom we booked the Seltos.

Gave her a final clean-up this morning, organised the registration, insurance, 2 sets of keys with Autocop, full service history with receipts and warranty for the HU into a folder and called the guy to pick it up.

14 years and 9 months old, the Swift has run 101,237 km when she left us.

We took her for a final drive around the block. The mood was solemn.

2006 Maruti Swift VXi: Long Term Ownership Report. EDIT: 100,000 km up & sold-img2990.jpg

2006 Maruti Swift VXi: Long Term Ownership Report. EDIT: 100,000 km up & sold-img2997.jpg

2006 Maruti Swift VXi: Long Term Ownership Report. EDIT: 100,000 km up & sold-img3012.jpg

2006 Maruti Swift VXi: Long Term Ownership Report. EDIT: 100,000 km up & sold-img3013.jpg

This car has had so many life memories associated with it for us. Whoever picks up this car is in for a treat of an ownership experience. The car has never let us down: never had a breakdown, never refused to start and has always been a spirited companion on our drives.

The Goa trip we took in the Swift over 10 years ago was my first thread on Team BHP and what a journey *that* has been!

We will miss you, Swifty!
noopster is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 14:20   #39
BHPian

I saw this post 2 minutes after it was posted. Read through the entire ordeal and once I read that you were selling it, I felt miserable (it's not even my car *facepalms). Love how you've maintained the car and your updates on the thread as well.

Wish you a 1000000 miles of pure bliss with your Seltos.
Cheers!
Sreesh1009 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 07:29   #40
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Still a great looking car, that 1st-gen Swift and you clearly kept her well. I remember driving her @ our Pawna weekend meet and she was super clean.

Lovely choice with the Seltos; looking forward to your ownership report, other cars you evaluated, buying experience etc .
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 14:20   #41
BHPian

Re: 2006 Maruti Swift VXi: Long Term Ownership Report. EDIT: 100,000 km up & sold

Its really sad that one has to let go of their cars because of some silly rule. Anyway, congrats in advance for your Seltos. Looking forward to your ownership review of that as well.
By the way, can you tell us what exchange value the Kia dealer gave you for your Swift?
Old 28th September 2020, 15:39   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2006 Maruti Swift VXi: Long Term Ownership Report. EDIT: 100,000 km up & sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreesh1009 View Post
...once I read that you were selling it, I felt miserable (it's not even my car *facepalms). Love how you've maintained the car and your updates on the thread as well.
Thank you so much for the kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Still a great looking car, that 1st-gen Swift and you clearly kept her well. I remember driving her @ our Pawna weekend meet and she was super clean.
Haha yes the Pawna weekend was memorable. Manson and I swapped cars when driving to the lake and I had fun in his Scorpio! Good times

Quote:
Lovely choice with the Seltos; looking forward to your ownership report, other cars you evaluated, buying experience etc .
I sure will, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGearBox View Post
Its really sad that one has to let go of their cars because of some silly rule.
I'm quite confident this car will get its certificate of fitness to run another 5 years but as I said, the practical thing is to make that someone else's headache and move on.
Quote:
By the way, can you tell us what exchange value the Kia dealer gave you for your Swift?
85K. That's in line with the Team BHP/Cars 24 evaluation. I could have probably held out for 10-15K more from retail buyers but I don't really have the patience to handle the re-registration formalities etc. Plus the entire amount went instantly into credit towards my down payment so it was a win-win.
noopster is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 21:01   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Finally, the day has dawned when we bid goodbye to Swifty
We will miss you, Swifty!
This post made me smile and feel sad at the same time.

I too have a 2006 Swift (ZXi, same blue colour!) and I have enjoyed it over the years. The car is still in excellent condition and even made a trip to Erode recently. After 14 years, we have decided to swap it for a more modern car with an automatic transmission and all the safety features that we can get. Something that I felt was funny: my wife is learning to drive and well, like most new drivers, she struggles with the clutch. Even so, she was (maybe a bit tongue in cheek) asking me to hold on to the old car so that she can practice :-).

Good luck with your new car and wish you many more good memories.
QuadraticAmoeba is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 19:28   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadraticAmoeba View Post
This post made me smile and feel sad at the same time.
Thanks Quadratic Amoeba

Quote:
Something that I felt was funny: my wife is learning to drive and well, like most new drivers, she struggles with the clutch. Even so, she was (maybe a bit tongue in cheek) asking me to hold on to the old car so that she can practice :-).
That's actually not a bad idea. My elder kid is still a few years from driving age, so that is not a factor in my case but if you can manage to extend your car's registration by another 5 years, it's better your wife learns on the Swift than risk a new car. And I am a firm believer in learning driving only on manual transmission cars!
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks