Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2011, 16:35   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Chronicles of Jai Sackett – Fiat Punto 1.3L MJD. 2nd year & 3rd service update

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
After the excellent detailing by Ultimate Detailerz, I was on the look out for a suitable wax for supplementing the detailing process.
Hi teh,
Boy your Punto (The car ! The car !!!) does really shine ! How long is the effect of engineered wax/polish supposed to last ? Did you empty the whole bottle in the process ?
Great job there !
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2011, 18:15   #32
Senior - BHPian

re: Chronicles of Jai Sackett – Fiat Punto 1.3L MJD. 2nd year & 3rd service update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hi teh,
Boy your Punto (The car ! The car !!!) does really shine ! How long is the effect of engineered wax/polish supposed to last ? Did you empty the whole bottle in the process ?
Great job there !
I used less than a quarter of the bottle for this job - only a fine thin layer is needed.

I am guessing it will last 3 months, but let us see
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2011, 20:53   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand
Let the pictures do the talking now:

Poser:
Chronicles of Jai Sackett – Fiat Punto 1.3L MJD. 2nd year & 3rd service update-dsc_2632.jpg
theexperthand, your Punto looks stunning under the sun.

I never got it why Fiat charge a premium for the Tuscan Wine colour. But now I know.

The colour looks very deep. Does Fiat add extra layers of paint for the Tuscan Wine?
deetjohn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2012, 19:44   #34
Senior - BHPian

It was time for the annual visit to see the doc to make sure that he is all hale and hearty and today we went to the Prerana Clinic. Surendra did an inspection and noted down my complaints (the door ajar warning was coming on intermittently - culprit is a loose contact in the door contact switch) and I handed over Jai for the detailed checkup.
He was ready by 4PM and when I went to collect him, he was ready - all tip top and shiny. Surendra showed me all the parts they changed and gave me detailed information about the bill and the works done, and within minutes, I paid the bill (5860 INR - Wheel balancing was charged INR 350 and another INR 100 odd for the weights, My right front tyre was running on air after a puncture was fixed - they emptied the air and refilled it with nitrogen FOC) - all smooth and easy.

I saw that there is some smudge marks on the paint at one place - before I drove off, I asked Surendra for some cotton waste to wipe it clean - I was on no way prepared for what happened next. Surendra called manjunath (he seems to be the in charge of the cleaning section) and asked him to take the car and me to the cleaning section and do a through cleaning again. The car was moved to the cleaning bay and 2 guys started working on the car immediately - they did a through job of cleaning all the smudge marks and did a whole wipe down and then one guy cleaned all the glasses again. Then manjunath did one more round of interior cleaning.

After he checked and made sure that everything was done well, started the car to drive to the delivery section- then he noticed that my rear windshield have lot of glue marks on it (the aftermath of DIY sun-film removal - I cleaned 4 windows, but left the windshield for another day). He said if I can wait for 2 minutes, he can clean it! I agreed and he started working on it himself and he cleaned up all the glue marks (there were LOT of glue marks) and cleaned the rear windshield from inside and outside. I was really floored by the attention they paid and the effort they took to make sure that I am happy!

Another feather in the cap of Prerana - one more totally satisfied guy. Kudos to Manjunath for going the extra mile to keep the customer happy, and kudos to Surendra for a job well done.

Last edited by theexperthand : 29th May 2012 at 19:53.
theexperthand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2013, 12:07   #35
Senior - BHPian

Few weeks back, Jai got a well deserving upgrade - I gifted him a pair of Neolite aux driving lights. The detailed report is posted here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post3116429

But few days before, one of my aux lights got knocked off - courtesy kids playing \ cycling in the apartment parking lot. Felt sad but at the same time, thanked my stars that it was not something super expensive.

On May 27th, Jai completed 2 years. I called up Vecto during mid may to book for my 3rd service and got the slot for June 3rd so left my car at Vecto for the 3rd service.

The Security put the plastic cover on the driver’s seat the moment I parked my car.

I was attended by Karthik (no waiting - probably because I was the 1st customer today)and I checked with him if I can purchase additional items like windscreen washer concentrate etc over the counter and he said I can absolutely buy ANYTHING over the counter, excluding the oil (because Oil comes in big barrel, they cannot sell it over the counter).

He gave me a rough estimate first, but I wanted a detailed break up - he patiently keyed up the estimate, took a printout and handed it over to me.

I tried to talk my way into not replacing all the oils (. I had no intention of doing it, just wanted to gauge his reaction if a customer insists), but he politely insisted that on the long run, it is better to replace the oils because if I did not, my extended warranty will get void.
He did not try to sell me anything extra (no decarb, no this cleaning, that cleaning etc). All in all, a very good first impression.

I reached Vecto by 5.55 and as promised, my car was ready. Karthik was attending another customer, so I waited till he was free (for hardly 5 minutes). I had no complaints so it was just a routine service.

We took the car and I made sure that everything was done to my satisfaction - the car was cleaned well inside and outside. They had replaced the air filter cover but since my car was out of warranty, I had to pay for it. I first thought this is a replacement from FIAT, so I not convinced that I have to pay for this - Karthik tried explaining me this, but I insisted on speaking to Mr.ChannaBasappa. He also explained me that this is a preventive measure by Vecto, Fiat have not issued an order to replace it all cars (like clutch slave cylinder replacement) and they do it under warranty if the car is under warranty.

I was happy with the explanation, so I decided to pay for it. As requested, I got a bottle of windscreen washer concentrate over the counter, but it totally slipped my mind to ask about airfiler as @Pdydeva have asked me - sorry bro.

Karthik had to leave then to get an irate customer to Vecto ( This guy was on Hosur road but still could not manage to find the way to Vecto even after repeatedly guided by Karthik - at last, Karthink told him he will come and show the way ) so I went to the billing counter after shaking hands with Karthik. The billing is S-L-O-W, mainly because the software is very slow and takes ages to generate \ load the bill and gate pass. It took 40 minutes to get the billing done (I was 3rd guy in queue).

My total bill came to 8,004 INR, excluding teh wheel balancing and alignment (plan to get it done at Madhus).

All in all, a happy experience. I was really concerned after reading so many negative posts about Vecto but may be I was lucky, I did not experience any of it.

Some interesting facts:
  • The interior was really clean - no smudge marks, no grease marks. There was no smell of the cleaning liquid also.
  • As of now, the fuel filter is costly than the oil
  • There was no feed back form like we used to get at Prerana.
  • Though the workshop if full, there is no hustle bustle like in Prerana. The whole experience felt much better.
  • One of the strings which attach the rear parcel shelf was broken and I missed pointing it out for replacement, and it was not replaced. It would have been nice if this was attended to, but no big issue.

The Bill:

Chronicles of Jai Sackett – Fiat Punto 1.3L MJD. 2nd year & 3rd service update-1.jpg

Chronicles of Jai Sackett – Fiat Punto 1.3L MJD. 2nd year & 3rd service update-2.jpg
theexperthand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 17:08   #36
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chronicles of Jai Sackett – Fiat Punto 1.3L MJD. 2nd year & 3rd service update

Long time, no update - frankly because there is nothing much to update. The car is not running much and have covered only around 32K in four years of ownership.
Today I gave the car for 4th year service at KHT. As usual, the service experience was good and got back the car before promised time.

The details:

Paid Service (1780 plus tax) - 2029. Discounted to 1624 since they could not wash the car due to the water pump failure (this was informed to me while giving the car to service).
Engine Oil - 1980
Engine oil Flush - 798 (missed noting it while giving to service,even though the SA explicitly said about this - could have avoided)
Oil filter - 432
Air filter - 431
Cabin filter - 221
Fuel filter - 1775
Transmission oil - 1200
Power steering oil - 550
Break fluid - 200
Sealing washer - 82
Windscreen shampoo - 100

Total - 9392 INR.

--Anoop
Old 3rd May 2017, 10:38   #37
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chronicles of Jai Sackett – Fiat Punto 1.3L MJD. 2nd year & 3rd service update

I have given the car for 6th Year service at KHT (operated out of their KHT Tata service center) today morning.

The rough estimate is 2500 for paid service (including 250 rs for parts) and 9600 for all fluids and filters replacement. I will give a detailed update once the service is over, but the initial impression is that the service bills are getting heavy.

--Anoop
Old 3rd May 2017, 20:31   #38
Senior - BHPian

Back from the 6th year service at KHT Whitefield - the FIAT service center is now clubbed with their TATA service center and shares the shop floor space with Tata.

The service experience was good - there was no push to do any additional task and they finished all mechanical works before the promised time, but the washing bay was a nightmare. Since they are sharing space with Tata, there is no dedicated washing bay and to make matters worse, they kept pushing PDI vehicles to the wash bay on priority.

The breakup:
Service -2500
Engine Oil - 1980
Oil filter - 432
Filtering element - 453
air filter - 232
Fuel filter w/o sensor - 1775
Coolant - 1350
Power steering oil - 590
Transmission oil - 1320
break Fluid - 200
sealing washer - 86
Drain Plug - 98

The total came close to 11k, lower than the initial estimate.

The only item which have increased over a period of two years is the paid service charge - from 2029 to 2500. It is good to note that almost all consumables are still priced almost same, I stand corrected on the service bills getting heavy part.

--Anoop
Old 28th June 2017, 19:34   #39
Senior - BHPian

While returning from the last Kerala trip, some were near Salem, a stone came flying from the wheels of a truck in front of the car and hit the windshield, and left a small chip and crack.

Chronicles of Jai Sackett – Fiat Punto 1.3L MJD. 2nd year & 3rd service update-img_20170610_101638.jpg

I drove all the way to Bangalore with the chip and the crack did not widen, so I thought it can be contained with a sticker, but next day being Sunday, I could not find any shop to apply a sticker (In retrospect, I could have applied normal transparent adhesive tape we use at home). As luck would have it, by Sunday evening the crack spread and reached the end of the glass, so there was no other way than to replace the glass.

Chronicles of Jai Sackett – Fiat Punto 1.3L MJD. 2nd year & 3rd service update-img_20170611_175435.jpg

I first visited windshield express and they quoted 7K for replacement, including home visit charge (they charge 350 INR for door step service). Next stop was FIAT showroom - they quoted between 9K to 10K, and said that I can claim insurance and need to pay only 2K from my side. After giving it a thought, I decided to go with windshield experts and booked for a slot today. They came a bit late (opted for 2 PM, came by 3.45 PM) and finished the work in a jiffy. Few photos from the sessions:

Starting the work
Chronicles of Jai Sackett – Fiat Punto 1.3L MJD. 2nd year & 3rd service update-img_20170628_161626.jpg

Glass off
Chronicles of Jai Sackett – Fiat Punto 1.3L MJD. 2nd year & 3rd service update-img_20170628_162543.jpg

The new glass
Chronicles of Jai Sackett – Fiat Punto 1.3L MJD. 2nd year & 3rd service update-img_20170628_165804.jpg

The adhesive
Chronicles of Jai Sackett – Fiat Punto 1.3L MJD. 2nd year & 3rd service update-img_20170628_170553.jpg

Putting the new glass
Chronicles of Jai Sackett – Fiat Punto 1.3L MJD. 2nd year & 3rd service update-img_20170628_170207.jpg

Done!
Chronicles of Jai Sackett – Fiat Punto 1.3L MJD. 2nd year & 3rd service update-img_20170628_172227.jpg

(Apologies for the bad pictures)

Pros:
OEM glass available at cheaper rate (FIAT uses AIS glass)
Doorstep service
Quick TAT - they took less than 2 hours, the ASS quoted 1.5 day, even if I am not claiming insurance.

Cons:
Nothing as of now

Now the next and possibly biggest hurdle is to obtain a duplicate FasTag

--Anoop
Old 20th March 2018, 19:06   #40
Senior - BHPian

Duplicate Fastag
Once the windshield was replaced, the next step was to get a duplicate fastag. Somehow, I had it in my mind that it will be a cumbersome process and I went to bommanahalli ICICI, mentally prepared to wait long and return if needed. I met an executive who is dedicated for fastag queries and after doing some initial validation, he asked me to wait for some time and went inside the bank – and came out in 10 minutes with a brand new fastag.

There was no filling of forms, no re submitting of proof, no secondary visits – I was pleasantly surprised.

Rat Menace
One fine day, I came down and opened to boot to take out the jopasu duster to clean the car and what did I see – rat droppings in the boot, plus chewed out edges of jopasu duster cover and another bag I kept in the boot. Yikes!!

Went to madivala market and brought loads of tobacco strips, and kept them inside the car – checked the very next day and few more days, and I did not see the rat droppings, so I thought I managed to fight off the menace – but how foolish the notion was.
A couple of weeks after this, there was a family emergency and I had to drive to Kerala. On the way, stopped for lunch at Salem and after lunch, when I opened the boot to take some medicines, what do I see – 6 small rats sitting on the bags. We managed to chase out 4 of them, but 2 rats escaped to the innards of the car. We decided to drive on since we had to reach Kerala at the earliest, and once we reached home, we put glue traps inside the car and managed to catch 1 more. There was still one elusive rat and as luck would have it, there was a foul smell when I switched on the ac after 2 days.
Luckily, I could find the dead rat in the channel below the windshield, so we quickly removed the plastic covers in front of the windshield and removed the rat and cleaned up the area. I wanted to change the air filter also, but as luck would have it, I could not find a single one in nearby shops, so I ordered a replacement from 99 RPM.
I had to get the front bumper removed to get it realigned and when we opened up the bumper, we saw that rats have made a nest inside the front bumper :O

Anecdote:
We had a minor brush with a private contract carriage bus in this trip – we stopped the car to let someone off but the bus who was behind didn’t see it in time and tried to swerve and in the process, rear-ended our car.
From the impact we felt inside the car, I was expecting the whole back side of the car to be a goner, but to my surprise, the only damage was some minor dents on the boot door and a slightly misaligned rear bumper. I was so relieved at the minor damages that I smiled at the driver, asked him to be more careful next time and left the scene.

--Anoop
Old 20th March 2018, 19:46   #41
Senior - BHPian

Lights up
Since I do a lot of early morning drive, I added a pair of Neolight 1010 auxiliary driving lights to my car long back. Even though they did their job, I was not happy with the output and always wanted to upgrade to better lights. I am not comfortable putting costly aux lights since I had three previous incidents where someone came and hit the fog lamps and broke it – twice were bikers who lost control while trying to squeeze through a narrow gap and another time, it happened at my parking lot where a kid who was cycling came and hit the light.

So, while trawling amazon, I came across Hella highway hawk driving lights and since it was not really costly, decided to bite the bullet and upgrade the aux lights.
Promptly ordered it from Amazon and I replaced my Neolights with Hella myself. The build quality of the light is good, and the throw and output are much better than Neolight. Keeping the fingers crossed, and hoping that the life will be better than my ill-fated Neolights.

Chronicles of Jai Sackett – Fiat Punto 1.3L MJD. 2nd year & 3rd service update-img_20171212_091541.jpg

Chronicles of Jai Sackett – Fiat Punto 1.3L MJD. 2nd year & 3rd service update-img_20171213_075826.jpg

Chronicles of Jai Sackett – Fiat Punto 1.3L MJD. 2nd year & 3rd service update-img_20180320_194832.jpg

Fighting On:
For some time, there was no obvious signs of rat attack, so I consoled myself that my car is safe now. After few weeks, I opened the bonnet to do a routine visual check and nearly got a heart attack – what welcomed me was the sight of half chewed firewall insulation and a wire whose insulation was nearly eaten away. Luckily, the wire was not broken, so I patched it up with insulation tape and put a sleeve over the exposed wires.

Now that I realized I could not win the fight with rats, I trawled our very own rat menace thread, only to find that there is no one size fits all solution. So, the next step was to get the rat mesh installed – got it done at the FIAT ASS (KHT Motors, Whitefield) and then complimented it with half a dozen of wire mesh brushes inside the engine bay.

--Anoop

Last edited by theexperthand : 20th March 2018 at 20:02.
Old 20th March 2018, 20:53   #42
Senior - BHPian

Midlife Makeover
After 6 years of life on Indian roads, Jai had his fair share of nicks and dents and after procrastinating for a long time, I decided to take the plunge and give him a fresh coat of shiny new paint. Once decided, I turned to my trusty advisor – the team BHP directory, to find a suitable place and it was easy to see that most sought after place is Trends Automobiles. It was an added bonus that it is only couple of kilometers from where I stay, so I went there to get an estimate on the amount of work and cost.

I met Dinesh and had a quick chat with him about what are my expectations from the work. He took a detailed look and told that it has to be a full body repaint since there are lot of patch work needs to be done. He patiently explained to me the steps and cleared all my doubts. Now, armed with these facts, I decided to ask for the final opinion from my trusty bunch of fellow riders – one message to the WA group and they managed to convince me that it is the right decision.

I dropped the car off at Trends on March 3rd for full body paint, and promised the delivery on 15thMarch. I will let the pictures do the talking now:

The 1st set of WIP pictures. All the removable parts like door handles, lights, logos are off the car. All denting work is done.

Chronicles of Jai Sackett – Fiat Punto 1.3L MJD. 2nd year & 3rd service update-img_20180307_094340.jpg

Chronicles of Jai Sackett – Fiat Punto 1.3L MJD. 2nd year & 3rd service update-img_20180307_094347.jpg

Chronicles of Jai Sackett – Fiat Punto 1.3L MJD. 2nd year & 3rd service update-img_20180307_094400.jpg

The 2nd set of WIP pictures. After the denting work, half of the car was painted with primer, to give an even finish.

Chronicles of Jai Sackett – Fiat Punto 1.3L MJD. 2nd year & 3rd service update-img_20180310_094758.jpg

Chronicles of Jai Sackett – Fiat Punto 1.3L MJD. 2nd year & 3rd service update-img_20180310_094808.jpg

The final set:

Chronicles of Jai Sackett – Fiat Punto 1.3L MJD. 2nd year & 3rd service update-img_20180315_105751.jpg

Chronicles of Jai Sackett – Fiat Punto 1.3L MJD. 2nd year & 3rd service update-img_20180315_105835.jpg

Chronicles of Jai Sackett – Fiat Punto 1.3L MJD. 2nd year & 3rd service update-img_20180315_111544.jpg

Chronicles of Jai Sackett – Fiat Punto 1.3L MJD. 2nd year & 3rd service update-img_20180315_111551.jpg

I was really anxious to get the delivery and started pestering Dinesh on 14th itself, to make sure that I can get the delivery on 15th morning. I reached Trends by around 10.30 AM and here he was, undergoing the last-minute touch ups. It was a wonderful sight to see him, fully restored to his previous glory – the Tuscan wine color comes alive when it is polished and under bright light. Dinesh and others did a commendable job and I was very happy to see the attention to detail in the tasks.
I did see lot of brand new cars coming there to get scratches\dents fixed and each and every owner who I met there were happy with the work.

• Spacious workshop with a dedicated paint booth and multiple dedicated finishing booths where the final polish\touch up etc happen.
  • Quality workmanship with an eye on detail-oriented work. No shortcuts.
  • Very clear on expectations. They tell up front what can be done and what cannot be, and is ready to explain the whys behind each decision.

Areas for improvement:
  • If I have to nitpick, they can do with a board on the main road itself, since the place is not visible from the main road.
  • It would have been good if the interior cleaning was complimentary, at least for large works like full body painting.

Few before and after pics:

Before

Chronicles of Jai Sackett – Fiat Punto 1.3L MJD. 2nd year & 3rd service update-back_bumper.jpg

Chronicles of Jai Sackett – Fiat Punto 1.3L MJD. 2nd year & 3rd service update-boot.jpg

Chronicles of Jai Sackett – Fiat Punto 1.3L MJD. 2nd year & 3rd service update-door.jpg

Chronicles of Jai Sackett – Fiat Punto 1.3L MJD. 2nd year & 3rd service update-front_bumper.jpg

After

Chronicles of Jai Sackett – Fiat Punto 1.3L MJD. 2nd year & 3rd service update-img_20180318_171715.jpg

Chronicles of Jai Sackett – Fiat Punto 1.3L MJD. 2nd year & 3rd service update-img_20180318_171723.jpg

Chronicles of Jai Sackett – Fiat Punto 1.3L MJD. 2nd year & 3rd service update-img_20180318_171732.jpg

Chronicles of Jai Sackett – Fiat Punto 1.3L MJD. 2nd year & 3rd service update-img_20180318_171737.jpg

Kindly excuse the picture quality and sub-par cropping. I am planning to do a proper photoshoot to do justice to the fantasic paint work done.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 20th March 2018, 22:40   #43
BHPian

How much did you spent for this ?
Old 27th March 2018, 17:48   #44
Senior - BHPian

After the efforts put by Trends to bring Jay to his shining old self, as any self-respecting auto enthusiast will I went shopping to buy TLC products to pamper him.

First stop was to pick up a waterless wash solution. During the early days of ownership, I brought ONR from the good folks at Ultimate Detailerz and it was a revelation, so there were no second thoughts about picking up one. I had read about Nikhil using the ProKlear waterless wash and since I already had good experience with ProKlear windshield treatment, I decided to go with Proklear Raw Extreme Cx.

Next was to choose the wax - I was using Mothers tech Wax before but Bhpian Porchefire suggested I go with Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0 so I decided to go Meg's way this time. I added a 3M dashboard dresser and Formula 1 Black Gold Tire Shine to the kitty. Now that I am doing the shopping, decided to supplement my meagre collection of 2 microfiber towels and bought a 24 pack MF towel set and 2 pieces large thick drying towel from AmazonBascis.

The Arsenal:

Chronicles of Jai Sackett – Fiat Punto 1.3L MJD. 2nd year & 3rd service update-img_20180325_101330.jpg

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th March 2018, 19:48   #45
Senior - BHPian

Sunday Best:

After all the shopping spree, it was time to put the purchase to good use.

I started the process with a wipe down using Jopasu to clean all the accumulated dust and then I gave Jai a good wash with the Proklear waterless wash. Once that is done, I treated the tyres with the Formula 1 Tyre shine and then treated Jay with a fine coat of Megs, and did a small well deserved photo shoot.

I was overjoyed with the quality of the paintwork and with the deep reflections Megs brought out. Let the pics do the talking now.

Metal Mirror!!

Chronicles of Jai Sackett – Fiat Punto 1.3L MJD. 2nd year & 3rd service update-dsc_1533.jpg

Chronicles of Jai Sackett – Fiat Punto 1.3L MJD. 2nd year & 3rd service update-img_20180325_120240_hdr.jpg

Chronicles of Jai Sackett – Fiat Punto 1.3L MJD. 2nd year & 3rd service update-dsc_1513.jpg

Chronicles of Jai Sackett – Fiat Punto 1.3L MJD. 2nd year & 3rd service update-dsc_1521.jpg

Chronicles of Jai Sackett – Fiat Punto 1.3L MJD. 2nd year & 3rd service update-dsc_1522.jpg

Chronicles of Jai Sackett – Fiat Punto 1.3L MJD. 2nd year & 3rd service update-dsc_1527.jpg

Chronicles of Jai Sackett – Fiat Punto 1.3L MJD. 2nd year & 3rd service update-dsc_1531.jpg

Chronicles of Jai Sackett – Fiat Punto 1.3L MJD. 2nd year & 3rd service update-dsc_1532.jpg

Chronicles of Jai Sackett – Fiat Punto 1.3L MJD. 2nd year & 3rd service update-dsc_1534.jpg

Chronicles of Jai Sackett – Fiat Punto 1.3L MJD. 2nd year & 3rd service update-img_20180325_114002.jpg

A stylish photo, courtesy Google.

Chronicles of Jai Sackett – Fiat Punto 1.3L MJD. 2nd year & 3rd service update-dsc_1520effects.jpg

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed