Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2014, 21:33   #76
BHPian

re: My 3 Cylinder Ride - Maruti Wagon R VXI ABS - 11 years / 90,000 km up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Apollo's are noisiest if I am not wrong and if the choices are between MRF and Goodyears, I still stand on my choice of MRF.

Are you sure the tyres that you mentioned in your earlier post are not available in Bridgestones?

Have a look at the below screen shots:

Attachment 1222787

Attachment 1222788

The website says in 155/65 R14 - Turanza AR20 is there!

Anurag.
Wow ! Thanks a lot! The shop told me that Bridgestones don't come in that size so I just blindly believed it. My bad! Thanks a ton I'l check them tomorrow itself.
Old 24th March 2014, 00:08   #77
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
Wow ! Thanks a lot! The shop told me that Bridgestones don't come in that size so I just blindly believed it. My bad! Thanks a ton. I'l check them tomorrow itself.
Please go and check the dealer for these tyres. I was surprised when you said that Bridgestone is NOT available for the WagonR so I checked the website and voila!

Show that shop owner the screen shots I posted for him to realise it or he is trying to sell you only those brands where he gets a better profit/margin.

All the best and do update the thread.

Anurag.
Old 5th April 2014, 22:03   #78
BHPian

MRF ZVTS A1 replaces the ageing Goodyear GT3

Quote:
Please go and check the dealer for these tyres. I was surprised when you said that Bridgestone is NOT available for the WagonR so I checked the website and voila!

Show that shop owner the screen shots I posted for him to realise it or he is trying to sell you only those brands where he gets a better profit/margin.

All the best and do update the thread.

Anurag.
Thanks a lot a4anurag. I called up several Bridgestone dealers here but none of them have this size with them and say that it's a very rare size and that it does not come to their shops. That is quite true to an extent as even other manufacturers have a very small palette in this size. And the bridgestone ones cost almost 1k more per tyre. So I anyways settled with MRF ZVTS A1 (A1 seems to be the latest one) from Rohini Tyres, Panavila and paid Rs 2,900 per tyre. Did the wheel alignment and balancing too. One of the wheels had a valve leakage so changed the valve also.

The car is more silent now and the change from the noisy Goodyear tyres is so evident. Braking feels better and the car feels more solid and planted! Never expected that a change from old tyres to new ones would bring so much of a difference! I'l upgrade my tyres to a wider size during the next tyre change anyways.

And with regard to Goodyear GT3, since I had some front suspension issues, the front tyres were almost totally worn off but the rear tyres still had around 4k kms in them. Had more than 3 punctures in total. Have to wait and see as to how the MRFs turn out to be. Hope they are good.

Cost per tyre - Rs. 2900
Total - Rs. 11,600
Wheel Balancing + Alignment - Rs 580

Thanks for all the help!
Old 5th April 2014, 22:57   #79
BANNED

Re: MRF ZVTS A1 replaces the ageing Goodyear GT3

Quote:
So I anyways settled with MRF ZVTS A1 (A1 seems to be the latest one)

The car is more silent now and the change from the noisy Goodyear tyres is so evident. Braking feels better and the car feels more solid and planted! Never expected that a change from old tyres to new ones would bring so much of a difference! I'l upgrade my tyres to a wider size during the next tyre change anyways.

And with regard to Goodyear GT3, since I had some front suspension issues, the front tyres were almost totally worn off but the rear tyres still had around 4k kms in them. Had more than 3 punctures in total. Have to wait and see as to how the MRFs turn out to be. Hope they are good.
Oh! Surprising that Bridgestone doesn't stock these set of tyres in that section OR may be they hardly sell so why have a dead inventory.

These MRF's will last more than your car without a doubt and they tend to get harder with time so it is best to get them replaced after 3-4 years even if your car doesn't have high running and I am surprised that the MRF's are less noisy as my Swift's MRF ZVTV are a pain above 100 kmph.

One suggestion: For the initial 200-300 kms don't drive fast or with abrupt acceleration as the tyres need to bed-in so be cool and gradual on throttle, steering and braking.

Hope the front suspension issue has been sorted out else these tyres too would go for a toss!

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2014, 13:09   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Oh! Surprising that Bridgestone doesn't stock these set of tyres in that section OR may be they hardly sell so why have a dead inventory.

These MRF's will last more than your car without a doubt and they tend to get harder with time so it is best to get them replaced after 3-4 years even if your car doesn't have high running and I am surprised that the MRF's are less noisy as my Swift's MRF ZVTV are a pain above 100 kmph.

One suggestion: For the initial 200-300 kms don't drive fast or with abrupt acceleration as the tyres need to bed-in so be cool and gradual on throttle, steering and braking.

Hope the front suspension issue has been sorted out else these tyres too would go for a toss!

Anurag.
Points noted. Thank you

Suspension is perfect now. And I too expected the MRFs to be more noisy but surprisingly they're better than the goodyear ones. Haven't gone at highway speeds after the tyre change hence can't comment on that.

Update:

My Left Headlight's Low Beam went dead a week ago so finally replaced them today myself and learnt how to change a bulb. LOL

Rs. 310 - Philips Rally H4 130/100

Also, the front two wheel caps are almost totally broken so will be buying a pair today. And I hit a small kerb and broke the the Front Left Fog lamp black casing. Gotta buy that too. Expecting to repair a dent (my mom's contribution) pretty soon. Will update once all that is done. The only grouse that I have right now is the gear is not slotting precisely, especially the 1st and 3rd. Otherwise the car is great. The engine is very smooth and sweet now.

Cheers!
Old 7th April 2014, 13:25   #81
BANNED

Quote:

My Left Headlight's Low Beam went dead a week ago so finally replaced them today myself and learnt how to change a bulb. LOL.

Rs. 310 - Philips Rally H4 130/100
Be prepared to buy a new pair of headlamp assemblies in the near future thanks to the Philips 100/130 bulbs.

1) The reflector will start blackening out;

2) Overload to be experienced on the battery and alternator;

3) oncoming traffic will keep cussing you.

Quote:
The only grouse that I have right now is the gear is not slotting precisely, especially the 1st and 3rd. Otherwise the car is great. The engine is very smooth and sweet now.
When was the transmission/gear oil changed last? Try changing them once and see if slotting is still a problem. If no respite then check the linkages and shift gates may be.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 7th April 2014 at 13:41.
Old 7th April 2014, 13:38   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Be prepared to buy a new pair of headlamp assemblies in the near future thanks to the Philips 100/130 bulbs.

1) The reflector will start blackening out;

2) Overload to be experienced on the battery and alternator;

3) oncoming traffic will keep cussing you.

When was the transmission/gear I'll chats? Try changing them once and see if slotting is still a problem. If no respite then check the linkages and shift gates may be.

Anurag.

1) I've been using 130/100 for more than one year and it's been working perfectly with no signs of blackening. I had that fear while I changed and searched whole of T-Bhp and saw mixed opinions. But since the upgrade was absolutely necessary due to the night highway drives, I changed it but its wonderful.

2) I upgraded the whole kit with Hella relays too. So no issues there.

3) Unless I drive in pitch dark, I keep the lights in their second lowest level and I rarely use bright unless absolutely necessary. I never have situations when on-coming traffic blink at me due to my lights. Hopefully, I'm not annoying them.

I did not get what you meant by "I'll chats"? typo I guess??
Old 7th April 2014, 13:44   #83
BANNED

Quote:

1) I've been using 130/100 for more than one year and it's been working perfectly with no signs of blackening.

I did not get what you meant by "I'll chats"? typo I guess??
If the setup is being used from long then fine. But be careful and proactive to prevent extensive damage.

That indeed was a typo and I just corrected it. Sorry!

I meant when was the gear oil changed last?

Anurag.
Old 7th April 2014, 14:05   #84
BHPian

Quote:
If the setup is being used from long then fine. But be careful and proactive to prevent extensive damage.

That indeed was a typo and I just corrected it. Sorry!

I meant when was the gear oil changed last?

Anurag.
Hah okay . It was changed during the last periodic servie (October 2013). Definitely not time for the next change as the car has done just 5000 kms from then. Will try to take it to the A. S. S in the next few days.
Old 7th April 2014, 14:18   #85
Senior - BHPian

Any thoughts on changing the stock HU/Stereo to aftermarket?

One of my friends was confused between WagonR VXi and Stingray LXi (both costing nearly same) - i am pushing him to go for the VXi but its the poor OE Audio that is putting him off the VXi. The Stingray LXi on the other hand is without OE Stero but has other goodies like Tachometer and wider tyres like the normal VXi.

Any thoughts on upgrading the Speakers alone leaving the stock HU in place?
Old 7th April 2014, 14:27   #86
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
One of my friends was confused between WagonR VXi and Stingray LXi (both costing nearly same) - i am pushing him to go for the VXi but its the poor OE Audio that is putting him off the VXi.
Ask him to buy a VXi ABS and then upgrade the speakers to solve the issue of a weak stereo setup.

No point in losing out on safety plus goodies just for a weak sound setup. All these can be altered once the car us bight but no compromise on safety.

You can keep the HU stock or else change that too. Maruti had tied up with JBL for installation prior to delivery so that warranty is not affected and all work done is by MASS so no tension of work quality or any future issues that could crop up.

This was my aftermarket install in my Ritz:

1) Front Components: JBL - GT5 S265C (240W peak power and 60W RMS)

2) Rear Ovals: JBL GTO 949 Limited Edition 6" x 9" (400W peak power).

All of the above costed me 8K back in 2010. I am pretty happy with that setup as I'm not that a music freak.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 7th April 2014 at 14:30.
Old 7th April 2014, 21:00   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Any thoughts on changing the stock HU/Stereo to aftermarket?

One of my friends was confused between WagonR VXi and Stingray LXi (both costing nearly same) - i am pushing him to go for the VXi but its the poor OE Audio that is putting him off the VXi. The Stingray LXi on the other hand is without OE Stero but has other goodies like Tachometer and wider tyres like the normal VXi.

Any thoughts on upgrading the Speakers alone leaving the stock HU in place?
I would definitely suggest to go for the VXI if not the VXI (O) that comes with ABS and Airbag.

Over the stingray Lxi, you get:

1) Wider tyres
2) Inbuilt music system
3) Rear power windows
4) Remote locking
5) F and R Fog lamps
6) Rear wash/ wipe + defogger
7) Tachometer
and a few more features I guess.

Stingray demands a hefty premium just due to the projector lamps and the new looks. I don't think the premium is worth the offering.

Regarding the inbuilt speakers, to me, even though they're literally crappy, they're quite acceptable compared to other company fitted HU's in that price range and my friend who owns a linea says that the W-R speakers are better than the OE linea ones. Changing the speakers would definitely show a big change mostly. But a better HU is what gives the best change. If your friend is definitely sure that he can't live with the OE Head unit, then I guess go for the regular Wagon-R lxi and fit these (you save over 35 k compared to the stingray).

Since he can spend upto 5 lacs, may I suggest your friend to have a look at the Ritz too! It's a way matured car compared to the W-R and the FE is almost same as the W-R too! More spacious and drives better too. This is even more evident in highways! Ritz Lxi would cost around 5.3 lacs i guess. Maybe you'l get some discounts too as Ritz ain't as much in demand as the Wagon-r or the Swift.

Finally,
1) If value is important, spend 5lacs on a Wagon-R Vxi or Vxi (O) with all the essentials you need (change the speakers too) and not on the stingray lxi.
2) If budget can be stretched a little, try out the Ritz.

Best wishes to your friend and feel free to ask anything!
Cheers!
Old 12th October 2014, 00:43   #88
BHPian

Guys, I'l be giving my car for the 40,000 km service (odo 41,000) on monday. I just needed to check what all works need to be done. The ones as mentioned in the service manual are listed below (i've listed only the parts that need replacement) -
  • Engine coolant
  • Engine oil & oil filter
  • Spark Plugs
  • Air cleaner
  • Fuel Filter
  • Transmission Oil
  • Brake Fluid
  • Master Cylinder and Wheel cylinder or caliper kit

And the issues I face presently are -
  • Low frequency humming sound as speed increases
  • Vibration on driver footboard (Goes parallel with the humming sound)
  • Engine sounds a little rough, noisy and clattery in low revs
  • 1st gear a little tight
  • Brake need more bite in initial play and squeaks a little
  • Drivers window glass rattle

The car does have a few rattles but I felt the M.A.S.S won't bother much about it. My W-R has a few small dents so will be giving to an outside garage after the service. Is there anything else that I need to take care of? I'm not going in for any of those fancy Engine De-carb, injector cleaning and stuff.

My brakes are pretty fine I feel except for the slight squeak. Braking even from 80kmph is good and feels confident and doesn't pull to a side or show any drama. The brakes are a little soft though. Should I ask them to do Brake Bleeding? And what exactly is Brake Overhauling? Because, I've been asked to do this twice earlier when I rejected but didn't exactly know what it was.

I'l be getting my Alignment and Balancing done outside. And this might be the last service done in M.A.S.S. From the next service, i'l be getting it done in some private garage as it'l be out of warranty.

Seeking your inputs.
Old 13th October 2014, 11:40   #89
BHPian

I just gave the car to Indus Motors, venpalavattom. I usually give it to popular but since I haven't been extremely happy, I thought I'l try out Indus. I did a test drive with the SA and identified the humming sound and to me it felt like a worn out wheel bearing. He said he'l contact me after he checks it.

In the mean time, he asked me whether I would like to opt for an AMC package. It's something that only covers labour and costs Rs. 11,000 for three years! lol. I couldn't stop laughing.He said the labour for this service will be pretty high and when i checked it's just around 1.8k. And told him about my Nano's AMC (4 years/40,000 km including regular consumables - Rs.6.5k approx) and he shut his mouth FYI, Tata's AMC packages are very good providing decent cover at very reasonable prices.

He said if the bearings needed a change, then the labour charge, parts and stuff would be extra and I agreed. But I came home and on referring my extended warranty booklet, i found that Wheel bearings are covered. So in case he calls me and reports a problem with wheel bearings, I'l have to clarify this. Hoping to receive the car today evening. Will update.
My 3 Cylinder Ride - Maruti Wagon R VXI ABS - 11 years / 90,000 km up!-img_20141013_113208402.jpg
My 3 Cylinder Ride - Maruti Wagon R VXI ABS - 11 years / 90,000 km up!-img_20141013_113215732.jpg

Last edited by freakmuzik : 13th October 2014 at 11:57. Reason: Forgot to add images
Old 14th October 2014, 12:51   #90
BHPian

Got my car back after the 40,000 km service! While I reached the service center, the car had lots of grease marks. So I made them clean the car properly. About the wheel bearing noise, the SA told me that the wheel bearing is perfectly fine and all they did was lubricate the bearing. But the noise still persists. He was telling me that it might be the tyre noise. But I have no clue if tyre noise could be in such fashion - it's a deep humming sound (not so loud or prominent, but keen ears could easily catch it) and it increases with speed, i mean, the pitch and volume of the sound gradually increases with speed. T-BHP gurus, I kindly seek your input on this issue.

If it's tyre noise, then . My new MRFs weren't so noisy while I bought them and I was really surprised. I don't remember such a noise persisting then.

While giving the car for service, I had specifically asked them to do nothing more than periodic servicing and here I get a bill that also has Pollution check - Rs.100/- and Battery check - Rs.50/- and some fitment charge - Rs.400/-. I did not bother about the 400 bucks since I had asked them to correct a few rattles and the job seems done. But the rest, I asked him to remove it from the bill.

While I asked him about the Battery check being included in the routine service charge rate, he was like - "sir, this is not free service, it's paid service". I had to let him know that I've been doing the same "paid service" for three years and how none of them charged for a battery check and showed him the service manual that includes checking the battery in periodic servicing. He finally asked me what do I want. I kindly asked him to get rid of that Rs150/- from the bill. End of story.

I'm also sharing the new govt: order that mentioned the increased Pollution Checking charges from Rs.60/- to Rs. 75/-. So with each car, M.A.S.S is also getting an additional Rs.25/- through this practice (even with Popular).

It's not about 10 rupees or 20 rupees but the sheer cheating they do by not informing / misinforming customers for unwanted jobs. I seriously wish for some stringent laws and enforcement to stop cheating poor customers. Each time I visit M.A.S.S, i see one or the other SA asking customers to do all such jobs.

My 3 Cylinder Ride - Maruti Wagon R VXI ABS - 11 years / 90,000 km up!-img_20141014_115258687.jpg
My 3 Cylinder Ride - Maruti Wagon R VXI ABS - 11 years / 90,000 km up!-img_20141014_112923398.jpg
My 3 Cylinder Ride - Maruti Wagon R VXI ABS - 11 years / 90,000 km up!-img_20141014_112931568.jpg

So my warranty is getting over by this December and I want to get the bearings checked before that. Also, a BIG Bye - Bye to M. A. S. S. I'm no more gonna visit them unless and untill there's something no one else can do. I know a couple of mechanics and they'l do my oil changes and filter changes hereafter!

Cheers!

Most Viewed