Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2016, 16:14   #121
BHPian

re: My 3 Cylinder Ride - Maruti Wagon R VXI ABS - 11 years / 90,000 km up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
What else was performed other than the clutch replacement? I remember being quoted around 5K @ the MA$$ for a clutch replacement for my Swift D(around the 1L km milestone). The 6K seems to be a bit on the higher side to me. Did you enquire how much would the MA$$ charge for the same work?

The Wagon R's poor low end torque could be the reason why it needed a quicker replacement. The thing needs to be revved like nuts to get moving in the B2B traffic.

And it's a fine car if treated with respect and am sure it can go on & on. It's a very comfy car for the elders due to the tall set up, ingress & egress are easy, and the sitting position is good for urban rides.
You are right about the cost. The MASS quoted 5.7 k plus taxes for clutch replacement which should be somewhere around 6k finally. The only other work was replacement of the coolant. Plus my dad had to bear the pain of buying the parts himself by roaming across the city to multiple MGP outlets. The mechanic has definitely not overcharged as the only payment I made to him is the labour charges. But this shows that the rate quoted by MASS is decent.

And about the clutch, i second your opinion. The poor low end torque is one of the main flaws of this car! Trivandrum also has so many gently sloped roads and stop-and-go in such conditions require the extensive use of clutch + revving. Compared to the K10, my Nano feels so easy to drive through the city as it's got decent low end torque. While randomly talking to my mom about replacing the car, she definitely did not mind it as she found the Wagon R to be lacking enough power to pull on comfortably with a decent load and the Air-Con on though she loves all the positives as you have rightly put.
freakmuzik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2017, 14:45   #122
BHPian

I realise it's been one year since I updated something about the Wagon-R. It was running quite less in the beginning of 2017 but picked up quite a bit after May with multiple trips to Thrissur and me taking it to Chennai and back right now.

It's been running fine except for the many number of punctures. One puncture got extremely bad and it was right on the highway in midnight. The rear left tyre just tore apart literally. Since we had to replace it, the tyre guy sold my dad an used tyre for quite a price and sadly my dad fell for the trap. Right now, three tyres are MRF's with atleast 5k more life left whereas this one is quite a bald Goodyear with not more than 1k safe life left.

I took the car to chennai on the eve of Gandhi Jayanthi. It was an urgent call and due to the end of the festive season, I couldn't find a single means of public transport available so had to take a quick decision of driving down to Chennai. The onward trip took quite some time while the return was very quick. The car performed quite well and could notice some interesting points during the entire trip. I drove solo for the entire trip.

1. Out of my three cars - Nano, Eon and Wagon-R, I realise the W-R is definitely the most comfortable on the highways though it still definitely is not the right car for the highways.

2. The steering is decent till around 90, starts getting vague at above 100 and as it reaches 110, its just plays around like some video game console. The centre is totally lifeless and gets really scary!

3. Potholes and undulations need to be handled with utmost care - I find the suspension generally weak and fragile from my earlier experiences and it also gets quite noisy.

4. The engine is pretty nice on the highways when the load is really less. You can overtake with some confidence as the mid-range is pretty strong! Low-end is absolutely a disaster as every time I stop and start, it's so lethargic and lazy to move.

5. I have never liked the drivers seat of the Wagon-R much. The right leg fouls with the power window console while the left leg fouls with the centre console. The seat lacks sufficient lumbar support and I have always felt the need to stretch myself in between the drive to avoid pains. From my experience, the Nano has the most fatigue free seats out of the three cars I have.

6. Having kept speeds between 90 and 100 kmph most of the time and occasionally upto 110 kmph, I was surprised to have got an FE of 20 kmpl!

Trivandrum (west fort) - Chennai (Mylapore)

Starting Time - 5.30 am
Arrival Time - 8.00 pm
Total Km - 784
Duration - 14 hours 30 minutes
Breaks - 1 hour
Total Driving time - 13 hour 30 minutes
Total Average Speed - 54 kmph
Average Driving Speed - 58 kmph

The Trivandrum - Nagercoil stretch had a lot of diversions through horrible roads due to some ongoing flyover works. Also, moving from the Dindugal route towards Trichy route through Madurai was a complete mess too! Yet another time taking stretch was from Kattankulathur to Chennai which took a hell long time!

Chennai - Trivandrum

Starting Time - 11.00 AM
Arrival Time - 12.00 AM
Total Km - 800
Duration - 13 hours
Breaks - 1 hour
Total Driving time - 12 hours
Total Average Speed - 61.5 kmph
Average Driving Speed - 66.7 kmph

I could manage to pass through the bottlenecks (upto Villupuram and Nagercoil - Trivandrum) during non-peak hours hence saved almost a couple of hours.

Sharing a few photos of my car.

My 3 Cylinder Ride - Maruti Wagon R VXI ABS - 11 years / 90,000 km up!-img_1351.jpg

My 3 Cylinder Ride - Maruti Wagon R VXI ABS - 11 years / 90,000 km up!-img_1356.jpg

My 3 Cylinder Ride - Maruti Wagon R VXI ABS - 11 years / 90,000 km up!-1.jpg

My 3 Cylinder Ride - Maruti Wagon R VXI ABS - 11 years / 90,000 km up!-2.jpg

My 3 Cylinder Ride - Maruti Wagon R VXI ABS - 11 years / 90,000 km up!-3.jpg

My 3 Cylinder Ride - Maruti Wagon R VXI ABS - 11 years / 90,000 km up!-4.jpg
freakmuzik is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th December 2018, 20:14   #123
BHPian

I own a lxi model of the same car. Wagon r k10 . It has run about 70000 kms. As usual suspension noises have started in the front end. The service center recommends replacing the control arms. Can I ask for only the ball joints to be replaced or does it come along with the control arms.? Please help anyone.
Old 30th January 2022, 17:39   #124
BHPian

11 years / 90,000 km - Full Update!

After a long break yet again, I thought of updating here with all details of Service Costs and how it is running right now! I can’t believe it’s been 11 years since this car joined our family!

My 3 Cylinder Ride - Maruti Wagon R VXI ABS - 11 years / 90,000 km up!-screenshot-20220130-5.05.59-pm.png
Here's the entire Service & Maintenance History (except Battery replacements)

Positives:
  • Ease of Driving
  • Ride height
  • Regular Service Costs
  • Engine is pretty nice in High Revs
  • Underthigh is way better than new W-R
  • Overall reliability and access to Service

Negatives:
  • Premature Wear of Certain components
  • Space (compared to our needs)
  • Lack of Enough Boot Space (180L is a joke)
  • Few Rattles and the general feel of light build
    (though the doors are way heavier than the new W-R)
  • Fuel Efficiency is just average
  • 3 cyl engine vibrations

Total Service Cost - 125000 (Maintenance + upgrades + Accidents + Battery + Tyres)
Odometer - 90000
Age - 11 Years, 1 month

Upcoming Repairs - Front Axle is making weird noise while turning the steering. Also, the rear suspension makes a heavy thud for even the smallest undulation and bumps. I would appreciate if anyone can point out possible problems if they know it better.

Right now, we did a roundtrip of 600 kms and the car performed very well after some of the repairs like Replacing two engine Mounts, etc. 90 kmph is a sweet spot in this car, AC performed well and overall, there was nothing much to complain. I don’t think there’s any need to change the car as it is mostly used for city drives and also, when I realise a Tiago or Celerio costs 7.5L on-road, it’s easy to decide not to change when the car is doing alright.

Also, since 2018, the running has reduced drastically due to me shifting to Chennai and also majorly due to Covid.

Do feel free to ask me any questions!

My 3 Cylinder Ride - Maruti Wagon R VXI ABS - 11 years / 90,000 km up!-car-front.jpg
I need to Refurbish the Headlamps

My 3 Cylinder Ride - Maruti Wagon R VXI ABS - 11 years / 90,000 km up!-car-rear.jpg
Looks pretty good with bumper worked and new tail lamps

My 3 Cylinder Ride - Maruti Wagon R VXI ABS - 11 years / 90,000 km up!-dashboard.jpg
Good to note the Dashboard hasn't gotten that aged considering so much exposure to Sun

My 3 Cylinder Ride - Maruti Wagon R VXI ABS - 11 years / 90,000 km up!-front-seat.jpg
Seat covers starting to show their age

My 3 Cylinder Ride - Maruti Wagon R VXI ABS - 11 years / 90,000 km up!-rear-seat.jpg
Decent under-thigh support esp. compared to the new W-R

My 3 Cylinder Ride - Maruti Wagon R VXI ABS - 11 years / 90,000 km up!-tyre.jpg
Apollo Accelere 4G Life at 21,000 kms!

Cheers!
freakmuzik is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2022, 22:43   #125
BHPian

Re: 11 years / 90,000 km - Full Update!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
After a long break yet again,
A heartfelt congratulations on completing such a long time with your WagonR. Your white car still looks very decent and I actually like this design more than the current one. The WagonR is a very decent package and is pretty good for what it offers for its very affordable price tag. The only thing is the boxy image which can put some potential buyers off but once you get past that you realise how good this car genuinely is. My dad owns a similar car as yours albeit in a shade of Breeze Blue, we have driven it for more than a 1Lakh kilometres but my dad is still pretty reluctant to change it and for his daily city usage scenario it still serves it purpose well. When I drive it sometimes I also realise that it does have a sporty side as well and can give you some fun when kept within limits, for one that engine is actually quite rev-happy and does reward you with some brisk acceleration, especially after around 2500rpm or so this motor does pull cleanly to around 5800rpm redline or so and while doing that it does sound sporty, the 3rd gear especially is quite energetic and can catapult this car till around 120kph, the only thing which I found sorely lacking which is to be honest to be very much expected is its unpredictable dynamic behaviour and especially once you cross beyond 80kph you do feel that twitchiness creeping in and once you hit triple digit the steering and the body is too much sensitive to cross-winds, at that speeds its lighter build also starts to show its ugly face which is why the best thing that one can do is to drive her at sane speeds and preferably within city limits, another point which is downer is the ridiculously low boot space which is just enough for a couple of soft bags, the engine though sporty at high revs lacks the bottom-end and the gearing is also a bit weird, the 1st lacks power and 2nd lacks torque which is why you constantly need to shift gears while negotiating traffic, also the sparse equipment levels are making their absence felt, may not be for my dad but certainly for me, man, come on its 2022 there ain't even a USB connection forget bluetooth and IIRC during that time cars like i20 offered USB,Bluetooth, Auto Headlamps and what not for not so much premium which is why to be very honest I don't prefer driving it that much, still at the end of the day it's a very good and practical car and absolutely perfect for town running.

As you said, this car still serves its purpose very well and and those cons are actually aren't dealbreakers for the matured ones there is absolutely no need to change this car. Wish you many more happy miles with your beloved machine, stay safe and happy motoring!
Tony2298 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 17:02   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony2298 View Post

As you said, this car still serves its purpose very well and and those cons are actually aren't dealbreakers for the matured ones there is absolutely no need to change this car. Wish you many more happy miles with your beloved machine, stay safe and happy motoring!
Thank you Tony and so very well explained. I agree to all the points you’ve mentioned and the lack of boot space is troubling us so much!! And I’ve driven it solo on long drives and post 90kmph - 95kmph, the steering feels so funny like a video game and the car just doesn’t feel to be under my control. I have three tiny hatchbacks at home and hence I’ve made it a strict rule of not crossing this speed limit.

Wishing your car plenty more miles and wishing your dad so many more lovey drives in the Blue Waggy!
freakmuzik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 14:13   #127
BHPian

Re: My 3 Cylinder Ride - Maruti Wagon R VXI ABS - 11 years / 90,000 km up!

That's a good write up of your wagonr. I too own the same version. Completed 1.16L on ODO and still going good. Thinking to keep it for another 5 years.

Below are the updates done..
1. Changed the tyre twice. Michelin xm2(after 45k) and recently Michelin xm2+(after 1L).
2. Changed the audio system and added reverse camera few months ago.

On the service front, below are the parts changed other than regular service.
1. Changed the rear wheel bearings.
2. Had an issue with AC compressor pipe and changed it.

I too felt that boot space is the major problem i have. I use this for office travels daily from hosur to Bangalore and long drives once a month from hosur to Pollachi.
Old 4th February 2022, 15:55   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on completing 11 years with the WagonR. You have maintained it really well and it doesn't look the age (except for those fading headlamps)!

My car will turn 11 in July and has around 918xx kms on the clock. Although it is living a retired life (with my parents), running barely few hundred kms per annum, it is still my preferred fun car for city use.

Quote:
Upcoming Repairs - Front Axle is making weird noise while turning the steering. Also, the rear suspension makes a heavy thud for even the smallest undulation and bumps. I would appreciate if anyone can point out possible problems if they know it better.
For the front axle, do you hear the sound when turning the steering and car is static? If yes, then check the lower arm first. They are known culprits on the WagonR, having changed them in the past.

For the rear, check if the suspension is leaking any oil. In my car, the LHS was shot around the 68k kms mark. Replaced both of them (cost about 1150 each).

Quote:
I don’t think there’s any need to change the car as it is mostly used for city drives and also, when I realise a Tiago or Celerio costs 7.5L on-road, it’s easy to decide not to change when the car is doing alright.
Hold on to the otherwise perfect city car unless it gives you any major trouble.

Quote:

Good to note the Dashboard hasn't gotten that aged considering so much exposure to Sun
I have the same observation. The interiors may rattle in a few areas but they don't look old at all.

Quote:

Apollo Accelere 4G Life at 21,000 kms![/center]

Cheers!
I see your tyres have been lasting a similar 35k kms/set.

I found the tyres to wear around the outer edge and that too when on the rear wheels. I observed few other VXi variants on the road with the exact same pattern, tyre wearing around the outer edge. Was it the same for you on the previous sets?

Last edited by ashis89 : 4th February 2022 at 15:56.
Old 6th February 2022, 09:31   #129
BHPian

Quote:
After a long break yet again, I thought of updating here with all details of Service Costs and how it is running right now! I can’t believe it’s been 11 years since this car joined our family!
Wonderful to see such a well maintained WagonR. Other than headlights, nothing else gives away that this car is 11 years old. Kudos to you.

One query though. I saw your maintenance list/costs. Haven't you ever changed accessory and timing belt in 11 years? If not, don't you think you are risking too much?

Most Viewed