Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2011, 11:54   #1
BHPian

My Maruti Suzuki Baleno 50,000 Km review

I am very glad writing this review today, when my 2004 Maruti Suzuki Baleno LXi has completed 50k Kms on the clock. In this review, I would begin with how I got my dad to purchase the Baleno then, and how has the journey with it been since then. Six and a half years and our love for the Baleno fails to subside, despite having a ANHC for two years now.

The decision to buy a Baleno:

We had had some issues with our previous (and the first) BIG car, the Ford Ikon, but the details of that would be futile here, so we had thought of buying the Honda City 1.5 EXi model (the tall bonnet, 2nd generation one), but were disheartened to see that Honda had discontinued that model and launched the 3rd generation aerodynamic model, which my father didn't like at all. So we thought and thought, and the best I could think of as a 15 year old was to buy a good big Maruti car. Dad agreed to my thought because of the bitter experience we had with our previous car's ownership.

I remember the day when we went to have a look at the sedans Maruti Suzuki had on offer to Vipul Motors, Jaipur as it was the most reputed Maruti Suzuki Dealer in Jaipur that time (it still is). I had a glimpse of the Esteem, but it failed to give me that roomy, expensive look, so I insisted to check out the Baleno. Dad first had a side view of the Baleno and immediately I could see, he had fallen for it. The salesperson informed us of all the specifications and features, like the collapsible steering coloumn, the electrically adjustable ORVMs (which was a premium feature then), all power windows, the rear seat armrest, central locking without remote, the push button A/c air flow selectors, and the torquey 1.6 L all aluminium engine. These features made us all confident that this car would be an asset to have. Having the first look from behind the car, I was not satisfied with the boxy tail lamps and the non curvaceous boot design. I thought the Ikon's hind shape was much better, but dad said nothing there. Then dad took a test drive and I sat on the rear bench with mom and sissy. The rear seat was much more comfortable than the Ikon and even the space was more. Dad said that the car had a brilliant pickup and also tall gear ratios which would prove to be a boon in the city driving. We returned home and then started our discussion about the Baleno. I liked it but for the hind part's shape. Dad said he could live with it, if the other offerings were good value for the price. Mom had no opinion but just liked the car. We again went to Vipul motors on the oncoming Wednesday to take delivery of the car. We had opted for the Silky Silver LXi version. We came back home happy and excited. For the next few days, we had travelled all around the city in the Baleno only, and not in mom's Santro which usually did the job.

The Experience:

The ownership experience has been awesome with the Baleno ever since the purchase. It never troubled us, and the only expenditure we had to do was the servicing charges and the regular oil and filter changes, which were also not very expensive. One thing that everyone in the family fell in love with was the powerful Air Conditioner. It chilled the car in minutes, even after it had been parked under the sun in Jaipur summers (very very hot), and we had to reduce the blower speed by one or two points. We made a lot of Long distance trips in it, and enjoyed every bit of travel. It shoots up to 140-145 kmph with such ease that the passengers inside feel its running at some 80-90 kmph. It also gave a brilliant mileage of 16 kmpl (The maximum it gave was 19kmpl from Jaipur to Delhi in 2006) on the highways and 13 kmpl in the city.

It all went like this till 2007, when I learnt driving and first sat behind the Baleno's wheel. I had driven only Mom's Santro till then. In my first attempt to drive the Baleno, it stalled as I had no clue how powerful and eager its engine was. I drove it easily with dad on my side and commenting on my driving continously as he was very conscious for obvious reasons. The drive felt so smooth and the car just floated on the road, soaking up all the jerks that I had got it into. I drove in the 5th gear at a slow speed of 45 kmph and it didn't refuse to run and went on silently. Then I had started getting to Drive it more often, till the day I crashed its front bumper into our Driveway's Entrance Gate. But dad didn't get that angry because I had told him the truth immediately, he just said, "Pay more attention on driving in the future". The Bumper replacement costed some Rs 15,000 and I felt all guilty for it. Dad also got all the 4 tyres changed to the same size (13") and cross section Goodyear ones. By this time we got to know that Baleno's being discontinued and will be replaced by some car called SX4. We were in a fix as to why a manufacturer would stop production of such a brilliant car! Then I went to my University for graduation to Bhopal, and dad kept using the Baleno, we had a driver by this time. Two years later, in 2009, I insisted dad to buy the ANHC as it looked brilliant and had that Luxury feel to it, which somehow the Baleno didn't have. Dad agreed and bought it in May 2009. We decided that I'll take the Baleno to my University as commute is a big trouble there for me, but that somehow didn't happen. Dad's been using the ANHC for 2 years now, and is still in love with the Baleno's performance and rear bench comfort, mated to its super strong A/c.

Around a month back, I again started the topic of taking the Baleno to the University as it is my Final year now, and this time, dad agreed! But I said it would not be very economical to run as it yields some 13-14 kmpl in the city with the A/c on, and I'll have a daily running of about 20 Km. Dad talked to some person who suggested to put a LPG kit as LPG still sells at Rs 40 per litre in Jaipur, and similar in Bhopal. We installed a NG Sequential Gas Kit for Rs 20,000. To my utter surprise, there was no substantial drop in the pickup and it now runs at approximately Rs 4 per kilometre, as against Rs 6.5 per kilometre on Petrol. I was happy with the LPG decision.

Yesterday I saw the Odometer and it showed a reading of 49,998 Km which made me think over the Baleno experience throughout and write this review today. I am listing below a few Likes and Dislikes about the Baleno, which I have decided to keep with me for atleast 3-4 years from now.

1. The Low seated, super smooth drive.
2. The engine never runs out of breath. There is always power on the tap.
3. The taller gears allow good overtaking on the highways without the need to downshift (as in the ANHC).
4. The Brilliant A/c. Haven't found such an A/c till date on any car upto Rs 14 Lakh bracket.
5. Superb suspension. Soaks up almost everything that comes in the way. I don't remember getting jerked while running over potholes ever.
6. Good high speed stability. I drove it at a maximum speed of 155 Kmph. Didn't try to take it further, though there was still some gap left. The brakes, though without ABS and EBD, are brilliant and do the job just as you would expect them to.

Dislikes:

1. The rear shape. I plan to put the Spoiler atleast so that the boxy shape is somehow hidden.
2. Rear bench legroom could have been better, but it was definitely one of the best at the time we purchased it.
3. A bit weak acceleration post 5000 rpm. Maybe I like the Honda City more in this department.
4. The overall refinement sometimes is badly missing.
5. Low ground clearance, many bumps scrape the lower body, but for the comfort I get, I can live with it.

Now I would like to conclude this review stating that if you want to buy a second hand car for a low price (2.5-3 lakhs), go for the baleno. The amount of comfort and satisfaction that it will give you is unmatched. A good, Comfortable, fun to drive car, Baleno, My LOVE.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 30th June 2011 at 11:58. Reason: max two smileys/post permitted
Thunderlover is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th June 2011, 12:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Maruti Suzuki Baleno 50,000 Km review

Very nice report, I also own a Baleno and its currently at 55K Oct 2005 model. With the way its going today i wouldn't be surprised if it keeps going like this for another 50K. Also keep in mind soon you might have to spend on Clutch plate replacement (They last about 55K).

Around 50K i had to change suspension (Front only) and related parts, Drive Shaft, and Disc brakes (As they had worn out), Tyres (I changed to Bridgestone) and finally the clutch plate.

Have had some trouble with parts availability but most critical parts are readily available hence still planning to keep it for at least another 30K Kms.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2011, 12:27   #3
BHPian

Thank you Mayank for the suggestion, and congratulations for your decision. The Baleno is simply one of the best cars in terms of overall ownership experience!
Old 5th July 2011, 17:38   #4
BHPian

I sold my baleno Vxi a few months ago, and still think of it with great fondness. It simply has the best powertrain if you like to gun the engine, goes like stink, and I loved zipping past the Mercs and Skodas just to show off! A great car.
Old 6th July 2011, 12:07   #5
BHPian

Congrats Thunderlover on 50k kms of your Baleno. I drive a 2006 December Baleno Vxi and it has been a pleasure owning it. I took my car on several long drives, the best being trip from Bangalore to Coorg. When i bought it I went for Stanley leather seats and tints. Last year I replaced the tires. I also met with an accident couple of years ago on Hyd-Mumbai highway. Thankfully no one was hurt badly.

Recently I had some niggles with respect to brake pads, thermo switch etc but nothing major. I am in market for another sedan and might opt for Oprta Magnum or NFF / Vento / ANHV but this car will remain in the family. My son feels it has a sports car look from the front with that low stance.

Overall a simple and lovely product from Maruti Suzuki.
Old 8th July 2011, 22:16   #6
BHPian

Another Baleno Lover here. I am surprised to find that all persons who ever owned a baleno speaks so lovely of the baleno. They are unable to forget the comfort and performance of the baleno.
I also recently purchased a second hand baleno 2005 december model VXi. Great car. Need some more time to comment seriously since I have covered less than 2000 Kms.
Old 24th July 2011, 04:10   #7
BHPian

Hi, how much have you bought you Bleno for? I am planning to buy one in september, its Dec 2004 Vxi --- Black-- Gurgaon Registered car--- any !dea how much should i pay for it??

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMohanan View Post
Another Baleno Lover here. I am surprised to find that all persons who ever owned a baleno speaks so lovely of the baleno. They are unable to forget the comfort and performance of the baleno.
I also recently purchased a second hand baleno 2005 december model VXi. Great car. Need some more time to comment seriously since I have covered less than 2000 Kms.
Old 24th July 2011, 17:10   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dev-Gun View Post
Hi, how much have you bought you Bleno for? I am planning to buy one in september, its Dec 2004 Vxi --- Black-- Gurgaon Registered car--- any !dea how much should i pay for it??
Hi Dev-Gun,

I purchased a Baleno in End May 2011. I am enclosing the details for your reference.

Place : Kochi.
Model : 2005 (Purchase date 16 Dec 2005)
Version VXi (WITH AUTOMATIC CLIMATE CONTROL SYSTEM)
Color : Golden.
Single Owner.
91000 kms run.
All service history available.
Brand new battery.
2 new tyres.
Lovato LPG Kit endorsed in RC.
Very clean and neat. I fell in love in the first sight itself
Owner was the Managing Director of a Company. He purchased a new Cruz. That is why he is selling it.
Purchase price : 1.8 Lakhs.

More details are available under the thread "Smitten By a Baleno".
(The only negative thing, I find, with my purchase is the 91K mileage of the car. )

I feel, you should opt for a 2006 (or later) Baleno VXi (with auto climate control system). If you try hard, you will get cars run approx 50K.

Cost varies from place to place. If you get a good one for 2 lakhs, you are lucky, I think.

PLEASE BE INFORMED THAT THE SPARE PARTS COST OF THE BALENO IS MUCH MUCH HIGHER THAN THE PARTS OF OTHER VEHICLES OF THE SAME CLASS. ALMOST ALL THE SPARE PARTS ARE IMPORTED SUZUKI PARTS. REGULAR SERVICE IS NOT A PROBLEM, ONLY OIL FILTER COST IS HIGH.

Last edited by KMohanan : 24th July 2011 at 17:29.
Old 26th July 2011, 00:35   #9
BHPian

People, its been a month since I have been using a NG Gas Kit in my Baleno. I am amused with the performance of the kit. My running costs in the city with 70% A/C comes to some Rs 4.25/km as against Rs 5.75/km on petrol. And there's no lack in the power. Rather I feel the car runs smoother on LPG. For anyone looking for a kit, I would personally suggest, go in for a RAGHAV LPG Kit (NG). Too good. Fully satisfied with no niggles in a month and 1500 Kms. A dealer in Bhopal who is authorised for both, Lovato and Raghav(NG) suggested NG as it is completely imported from Italy as against localisation of the Lovato kits. And its cheaper too.
Cheers to all the Baleno owners. Proud to be one.

By the way, can anyone of you please help me with the correct tyre pressure for in-city running. the tyre size is the OEM one. 13 inches wheel. Maruti Suggests 29 PSi. Thanks in advance
Old 26th July 2011, 02:45   #10
BHPian

Hi KMohanan,

Thanks a ton for all the information,.

The Baleno i am looking at is :

Dec 2004
Black
Gurgaon Registered
With (factory fitted) Maruti alloy wheels (the looks are of the wagon r premia edition)
Tyres life left for about 20k kms
60k kms done so far
Looks neat

Not too sure if it has the climate control feature, its one of my friends car who is a genuine guy...

I have to quote a price to him, i understand the prices will differ as per the state and city but i am still a little about quoting the price

help me just in case you have any contacts and you can get an !dea of the pricing of the model i mentioned. It will be a great help.

Thanks in advance,
Dev-Gun

Quote:
Hi Dev-Gun,

I purchased a Baleno in End May 2011. I am enclosing the details for your reference.

Color : Golden.
Single Owner.
91000 kms run.
All service history available.
Brand new battery.
2 new tyres.
Lovato LPG Kit endorsed in RC.
Very clean and neat. I fell in love in the first sight itself
Owner was the Managing Director of a Company. He purchased a new Cruz. That is why he is selling it.

More details are available under the thread "Smitten By a Baleno".
(The only negative thing, I find, with my purchase is the 91K mileage of the car. )

I feel, you should opt for a 2006 (or later) Baleno VXi (with auto climate control system). If you try hard, you will get cars run approx 50K.

Cost varies from place to place. If you get a good one for 2 lakhs, you are lucky, I think.

PLEASE BE INFORMED THAT THE SPARE PARTS COST OF THE BALENO IS MUCH MUCH HIGHER THAN THE PARTS OF OTHER VEHICLES OF THE SAME CLASS. ALMOST ALL THE SPARE PARTS ARE IMPORTED SUZUKI PARTS. REGULAR SERVICE IS NOT A PROBLEM, ONLY OIL FILTER COST IS HIGH.
Old 26th July 2011, 05:41   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
91000 kms run.
[/u][/b]
Thats a very good price, not sure if used car prices are different in different states. Mine is a 2005 Oct Baleno Vxi with Climate control (Same one that you bought) but @ 55K Kms, and someone offered me 2.75L for it. I kindof shooed him away as i was not very keen on selling it at this point. The only difference is mine has got all 5 new shoes and less clicks on the odometer.
Old 30th July 2011, 16:06   #12
Senior - BHPian

I had purchased a 2006 March Baleno with 43K on the odo last year in August for 2.75. A very clean car, silver coloured and very well maintained. The car was UP registered (Noida).
Old 31st July 2011, 20:00   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Thats a very good price, not sure if used car prices are different in different states. Mine is a 2005 Oct Baleno Vxi with Climate control (Same one that you bought) but @ 55K Kms, and someone offered me 2.75L for it. I kindof shooed him away as i was not very keen on selling it at this point. The only difference is mine has got all 5 new shoes and less clicks on the odometer.
After seeing the market price of Baleno, I am getting tempted to sell my baleno.
My baleno is in showroom condition with everything functional !! Not a bad idea if I can get a good amount
Old 31st July 2011, 20:38   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
getting tempted to sell my baleno.
Not a bad idea if I can get a good amount
Since you have got a well kept horse,suggest you stick to your choice for at least two years.

You will not be able to find a better all round package at this price.
Old 1st August 2011, 06:54   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Since you have got a well kept horse,suggest you stick to your choice for at least two years.

You will not be able to find a better all round package at this price.
I also wanted to keep this baleno beauty for 2 years or so. But I have a genuine reason to think of selling it. I am having a top variant of Nano just purchased 1 year back and in Showroom condition. I was planning to sell this nano and use the baleno. It is difficult to keep two cars for me. This Nano LX new car onroad price in Kerala is 2.3 Lakhs now and the accessories in the car, if you add, new car will cost above 2.5 Lakhs. But, when I put it for sale, most of the guys were coming to me thinking that 'NANO IS A ONE LAKH CAR. NEW NANO COSTS ONE LAKH. SO OLD NANO WILL GET FOR HALF THE PRICE" Anyway, I have to sell one of the two cars since it is almost impossible for me to keep two cars. Therefore, my other option is to sell baleno. But, I will sell only if I get a price where I can adjust my nano selling loss also in that

Last edited by KMohanan : 1st August 2011 at 06:55.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks