Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2011, 17:16   #226
BHPian

re: The Grey Torqedo - My Chevy Optra Magnum 2.0 TCDI. 5k &10k KM Services (Pg 14 & 18)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
The Accleres are quite soft. Don't seem the kind one would feel too assured while taking on those totally broken roads.
In terms of softness (and hence inversely, the life)

Yokos >= Michelin > Apollo > Bridgestone > MRF

If it were not for the road noise and the comfort factor, MRF would have been the ideal choice for the bad roads. The softer tyres like the Yokos and Michelins are good only where the roads are good, otherwise you would be purchasing a new tyre quite often. I think Apollos are just at the mid and are good enough for now.

I was initially planning to move on to Yokos (just by reading what a lot of people had written), but now with my own experience, my next change might as well be MRFs!

Quote:
Given your travel on rough roads, you may want to get it checked if there and get it done with care.
My travel is normally on good roads, but the monsoons have changed that for now. About 5% of the roads are bad but they do 100% of the damage!

I am even thinking of keeping the tyres slightly over inflated (around 30-31).
Old 31st August 2011, 17:16   #227
BANNED

re: The Grey Torqedo - My Chevy Optra Magnum 2.0 TCDI. 5k &10k KM Services (Pg 14 & 18)

My 2 cents, Keyur -

Stick with your stock shoes, they'll be good for 25-30 odd K.

There is no point creating a dent on your pocket for new shoes.

Happy Motoring !!
Old 31st August 2011, 17:38   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyur View Post
In terms of softness (and hence inversely, the life)

Yokos >= Michelin > Apollo > Bridgestone > MRF

From what I understand:

Tyre life is based more on the compound on the contact patch.

Softness is influenced by that and by the sidewall being hard or sort. IIRC MRFs have an extra ply, which makes them harder.

Usually the softness of feel would be inverse to the life. Not always.

Grip of the tyres is almost always inverse to the life though.

Quote:
I think Apollos are just at the mid and are good enough for now.
It seems the same to me. Though at times, they seem a tad too soft.

Quote:
I was initially planning to move on to Yokos (just by reading what a lot of people had written), but now with my own experience, my next change might as well be MRFs!
MRFs are practical tyres for Indian conditions. I too may opt for them in the next change. Or probably JK. Guess this may have some experts frowning.

Quote:
My travel is normally on good roads, but the monsoons have changed that for now. About 5% of the roads are bad but they do 100% of the damage!
One damage at the wrong time could cost one, one's life.
And we with the LS (no airbags and ABS) need to be even more cautious.

Quote:
I am even thinking of keeping the tyres slightly over inflated (around 30-31).
Each time you overinflate the tyres, check the braking.
Recheck after the tyre would have warmed up with use hence inflating it to an even higher pressure.

High pressure can cause havoc with how the tyres grips the road.
Old 31st August 2011, 22:03   #229
BHPian

Quote:

Roadmap cum wishlist:
5. Yokos, when the time comes to change tyres.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
My 2 cents, Keyur -

Stick with your stock shoes, they'll be good for 25-30 odd K.
There is no point creating a dent on your pocket for new shoes.
Happy Motoring !!
The change is meant to be done at the time I need to change the tyres, not now. This was with reference to my roadmap and wishlist, which has now been modified as follows :

Roadmap cum wishlist:

1. Philips XV or Osram Nightbreakers as soon as possible. (Done - XVs in place - giving great results)
2. Green Cotton at first airfilter replacement or 1 year.
3. Slotted rotors and Bilsteins at 2 years (maybe earlier if I can't control the urge for a remap) (Cancelled. Will drill my rotors and get stiffened suspensions.)
4. Remap or Pete's box. (Cancelled. RaceDynamics DTPro coming soon!!)
5. Yokos (Cancelled - too soft)Apollo/Bridgestone/MRF, when the time comes to change tyres.

Last edited by keyur : 31st August 2011 at 22:15.
Old 31st August 2011, 22:32   #230
BHPian

Re: The Grey Torqedo - My Chevy Optra Magnum 2.0 TCDI - Tyre Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueorchid View Post
My husband wants an Optra, I am pushing for the Cruze.
Could you give me some points to discuss for the Cruze (against the Optra)
The major difference is the cost. Cruze is, top-end to top-end, atleast 5 lakhs more expensive. If it is space you are looking for with same engine, oldish interiors, go for Optra LT. if you are looking for peppiness, latest gadgets but are ok with space, go for Cruze.

I was in similar situation. My wife wanted Cruze but I was able to convince her by explaining to her that we are getting the same engine, lots of space, top end car for almost 5 lakhs less. I won the war but she won the battle by taking 20% of that 5 lakh saving in cash to do whatever she wishes. (hint hint :P).
Old 31st August 2011, 22:58   #231
BHPian

Quote:

It seems the same to me. Though at times, they seem a tad too soft.
Slightly over-inflating helps resolve that!

Quote:
MRFs are practical tyres for Indian conditions. I too may opt for them in the next change. Or probably JK. Guess this may have some experts frowning.
The expert opinions are as per their specific needs, wants and priorities. I would not like to spend my money on purchasing tyres frequently (after all, my wishlist is still in progress), so tyre life and strength do matter for me - and as long as the ride quality does not become really bad, it does not matter. And then there is the constant fear of the bad roads damaging the softer wheels - I prefer to drive worry free, so tougher tyres next time!!

Quote:
One damage at the wrong time could cost one, one's life.
And we with the LS (no airbags and ABS) need to be even more cautious.
I am still not convinced by the ABS. I did some extensive brake testing with the Optra. After GTO removed the pic of me driving fast on regular roads, I took the car out to a secluded road (actually internal road of a nearby MIDC area under construction) with a couple of friends. Tried hard braking at high speeds, low level drifting, high speed turns, braking in wet areas and a few other stupid things that I think I should not write here . Found the braking to be excellent - even at speeds of 190, the brakes stopped the vehicle in time and that too in a pretty short distance. There was one area while checking out the braking on wet roads where the wheels locked and started skidding (the time where the ABS would have kicked in) - quick pumping of the pedal (release-engage-release-engage) stopped the skid and again, the stop was composed. I have a doubt here that the ABS would definitely have increased the braking distance.
The roll does tend to scare you, but the handling and stability are top notch. (hence the plan to stiffen the suspensions)

Quote:
Each time you overinflate the tyres, check the braking.
Recheck after the tyre would have warmed up with use hence inflating it to an even higher pressure.

High pressure can cause havoc with how the tyres grips the road.
It's not that much - hardly a couple of psi more. And the grip issue would be prominent with narrower tyres, but with these, it does not make that much of a difference (try it out). I had an issue with my front left ream overheating marginally - so used to check the pressures frequently - hardly any difference.

And thinking too much takes the pleasure of the drive away, so don't think - drive!!

Last edited by keyur : 31st August 2011 at 23:02.
Old 1st September 2011, 01:52   #232
BHPian

My experiments with selective sepia. The model is of course my TorQueen. Unfortunately, the Sand Drift Grey colour just loves to merge with the sepia background!

Roaring in the Rains!

The Grey Torquedo - My Optra Magnum - The Next Level!-selsepia2.jpg
Old 1st September 2011, 04:27   #233
BHPian

Scanning the Horizon

The Grey Torquedo - My Optra Magnum - The Next Level!-carsepia2.jpg

Last edited by keyur : 1st September 2011 at 04:37.
Old 2nd September 2011, 00:19   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
blueorchid -

Let me provide my 2 cents in helping you decide which way to go.

To sum it all up, Optra at this point in time is the best VFM car that can be served on the platter.
Quote:
You are asking the wrong guy ahead. If you read through my first post on this thread, you will see that I was going to get the Cruze but got the Optra instead - I might actually end up helping your husband's cause here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimist View Post
I'm also of the opinion that the Optra is a better buy and a great overall package than the Cruze and much better than other cars in the segment.
Yeah - I came to the wrong thread and am asking the wrong people - my cause seems doomed after this.
I think I should go to some Cruze forum and ask this

On a serious note, the comments are appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
The major difference is the cost. Cruze is, top-end to top-end, atleast 5 lakhs more expensive. If it is space you are looking for with same engine, oldish interiors, go for Optra LT. if you are looking for peppiness, latest gadgets but are ok with space, go for Cruze.

I won the war but she won the battle by taking 20% of that 5 lakh saving in cash to do whatever she wishes. (hint hint :P).
Now that's a good idea! But I would prefer that we get the Cruze instead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnaturallywired View Post
Its time to change the shoes, Senor !!

Choices in order of preferences:

1. Yoko Advan sport / Advan S4

2. Michelin Pilot Preceda / sport

3. BF goodrich (more info on touring tyres on their website)
What does this mean? Are you planning to change your tyres or are you asking keyur to change his?

Read your other post with the issue. Is your issue resolved now and are you happy with the resolution? Optimist seems to be happy after the resolution, what about you?
Old 2nd September 2011, 00:46   #235
BHPian

Re: The Grey Torqedo - My Chevy Optra Magnum 2.0 TCDI EDIT: 5000KM Service Update (Pg

Quote:
My experiments with selective sepia. The model is of course my TorQueen. Unfortunately, the Sand Drift Grey colour just loves to merge with the sepia background!

Roaring in the Rains!

Attachment 602645
Quote:
Scanning the Horizon

Attachment 602649
I suppose by selective sepia you mean the part sepia and part colour (please correct me if I am wrong). The coloured logo in the first pic is what made me realize that it's not totally in sepia!

The angle at which you have clicked the first pic makes the car really stand out - if that is what you call a dated look, then dated sure does look good!
Old 2nd September 2011, 11:48   #236
BHPian

Re: The Grey Torqedo - My Chevy Optra Magnum 2.0 TCDI EDIT: 5000KM Service Update (Pg

Quote:

What does this mean? Are you planning to change your tyres or are you asking keyur to change his?
Quote:
Its time to change the shoes, Senor !!

Choices in order of preferences:

1. Yoko Advan sport / Advan S4

2. Michelin Pilot Preceda / sport

3. BF goodrich (more info on touring tyres on their website)
Had missed out this post earlier (probably the late posting because of mod approval). Blue's post brought this to attention.

Even I did not understand what you meant here. Are you asking/telling me to change the tyres or are you looking at changing yours?(If so : yours is a new car, so why would you be changing the tyres now? Softer tyres are really going to be more painful)

Quote:
I suppose by selective sepia you mean the part sepia and part colour (please correct me if I am wrong). The coloured logo in the first pic is what made me realize that it's not totally in sepia!

The angle at which you have clicked the first pic makes the car really stand out - if that is what you call a dated look, then dated sure does look good!
Yup - that's selective sepia. This would have looked awesome had the car been red!
I still cannot understand the concept of dated looks - if it looks good, it looks good - so what if it's an older look?
Old 2nd September 2011, 16:50   #237
BHPian

Think of tyres and lo behold, there is a discussion going on.

Thinking of the dealer's PDI neglect, I checked the tyre pressure today. It was 37 all around. Accounting for a warm tyre it must have been 35. Spoke to brraj from the petrol pump and he told 29. After reducing it to 30/31 (warm tyre) the rear seems to be ok but the front looked really scary with the weight of the engine. Increased the front to 35(warm). What do you fellows maintain?

Does the tyre pressure have any effect on the brake lever/gear vibration? After the pressure correction i'm finding a slight murmur of a vibration on the 3rd gear and the brake which I had not noticed earlier. I really hope it's not my mind playing any tricks. Anyway could not make out the difference on the grip level or braking distance as i'm still at 650km and traffic conditions permit only slow driving.

BTW i got FE of 11.7 and 12 in that order over two top ups (brim) of regular IOL diesel, city driving conditions at the above pressure.

Last edited by optimist : 2nd September 2011 at 16:52.
Old 2nd September 2011, 18:06   #238
BHPian

Re: The Grey Torqedo - Optra Magnum - 5000km first service update

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimist View Post
Think of tyres and lo behold, there is a discussion going on.

What do you fellows maintain?

Does the tyre pressure have any effect on the brake lever/gear vibration? After the pressure correction i'm finding a slight murmur of a vibration on the 3rd gear and the brake which I had not noticed earlier.

BTW i got FE of 11.7 and 12 in that order over two top ups (brim) of regular IOL diesel, city driving conditions at the above pressure.
I usually maintain 29 - recommended is 28. Check the manual for the tyre profile. It does look depressed, but that is the accurate profile to be maintained.

I am going to start maintaining about 30-31 as the roads are really bad and the low pressure though reduces the noise does nothing to prevent damage due to impact!

When you inflate more, the vibrations and road noise will increase, grip will decrease (slightly - no issues there) and the FE can increase due to reduced friction (surface area reduces).

The gear stick vibrations come and go sometimes - the cabin is too silent, so these things get noticed . The brake vibration comes in when you slightly tap the brake (or keep your foot on it) - it's due to the ever so slight contact between the pads and the disc. If you apply more pressure, the vibrations will stop. If you remove your foot from the pedal, (and keep it below the pedal, in contact, to sense the vibrations), there should be none.

Drive for a couple of kms and check the wheel rims (front will be warmer than rear). If there is difference in the heating between L and R, there could be a case of debris near the pads, so get them cleaned.

During your 1000km, tell them to grease the callipers and balance the wheels - smoothness changes manifold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Couldn't resist, also this holds up the fact about how attentive t-bhpians are
You are paying attention

Last edited by keyur : 2nd September 2011 at 18:07.
Old 3rd September 2011, 15:32   #239
BHPian

Quote:

Read your other post with the issue. Is your issue resolved now and are you happy with the resolution? Optimist seems to be happy after the resolution, what about you?
It isn't as confusing as a Lexical Ambiguity and i was merely hinting at changing the tyres be it mine or anybody's and indeed it served as a suggestion to keyur!!! Anyways IMHO the Optra needs a broader profile 205 / 55 / 15 to enhance cornering..

The Speedo & AC problems have been fixed, the relay noise emanating out of AC compressor cut off /on is being checked and is under observation since today morning... Am hoping the problem dies a premature death as am not ready for another round of GM's Irish Bull
Old 3rd September 2011, 17:28   #240
BHPian

Quote:
indeed it served as a suggestion to keyur!!! Anyways IMHO the Optra needs a broader profile 205 / 55 / 15 to enhance cornering..

The Speedo & AC problems have been fixed, the relay noise emanating out of AC compressor cut off /on is being checked and is under observation since today morning... Am hoping the problem dies a premature death as am not ready for another round of GM's Irish Bull
But with the broader profile, you would be also hitting the FE. Also, for the cornering, before the tyres, it would make more sense to stiffen the suspensions - they would help more in the cornering.

All the best for getting your niggles sorted out!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks