Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2011, 09:19   #241
BHPian

Re: The Grey Torqedo - My Chevy Optra Magnum 2.0 TCDI EDIT: 5000KM Service Update (Pg

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyur View Post
In terms of softness (and hence inversely, the life)

Yokos >= Michelin > Apollo > Bridgestone > MRF
Just had my left rear apollo punctured. A 2 inch nail had pierced into it, got bent and dented the sidewall of the tyre. I was told to replace the whole tyre as the sidewall puncture could not be rectified.
Old 5th September 2011, 10:24   #242
BHPian

Re: The Grey Torqedo - My Chevy Optra Magnum 2.0 TCDI EDIT: 5000KM Service Update (Pg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvan View Post
I was told to replace the whole tyre as the sidewall puncture could not be rectified.
Side wall puncture can be rectified (or rather patched up in a botchy manner) by applying a tyre patch and then putting an inner tube inside the tyre (tube in tubeless tyre ). This will work as a temporary solution or if you plan to use it strictly as a spare!

But, this is dis-recommended for daily use - the best solution is to replace the tyre!
Old 6th September 2011, 07:31   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Side wall puncture can be rectified (or rather patched up in a botchy manner) by applying a tyre patch and then putting an inner tube inside the tyre (tube in tubeless tyre ). This will work as a temporary solution or if you plan to use it strictly as a spare!

But, this is dis-recommended for daily use - the best solution is to replace the tyre!
Exactly!! This is what I plan to do for the next 5000kms and then replace the tyre. I was told that this tyre can be used for the rear but will cause wobbling when replaced with the front tyres. I am closing in on 25k kms and was thinking of upsizing all 5 tyres to 205/15 accelere radials. Wish lists never exhaust. Do they?
Old 6th September 2011, 13:41   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvan View Post
I am closing in on 25k kms and was thinking of upsizing all 5 tyres to 205/15 accelere radials. Wish lists never exhaust. Do they?
Your 195/65 R15 has a circumference of 1934 mm
The 205 has 3 sizes :

205 R15 has 3 sizes (provided you want to keep the same rims) :

205/55 R15 - Circumference 1842 - Flatter profile (thin side wall) - 5% error
205/60 R15 - Circumference 1912 - Slightly more than 55 - 1% error
205/65 R15 - Circumference 1970 - Same as current - 2% error

This means that whichever tyre you choose from 205, your odometer readings (as well as your speedo readings) will be incorrect (as per the error percentages given)

Also, there will be a drop in the fuel efficiency as well (slight).
keyur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2011, 16:15   #245
BHPian

The Dynamics of the Optra (How tostay in the meaty region)

There have been a lot of posts especially from those who have test driven the Optra, and one of the concerns seem to be that of turbo lag and driveability in traffic.

Well, the Optra has taller gearing, which means that at a given RPM, you can reach much higher speeds than cars with shorter gearing (for most of the gears). This leads to the corollary that at lower speeds on a given gear, the RPMs can drop to really low levels, hence the minimum rpm (hence speed) per gear needs to be maintained to be able to have a drive where you can easily pull in any gear.

Here is a chart which shows the speed for every gear at certain RPMs for the Optra. The table is colour coded as follows :

For a given gear, if you are in Orange, downshift. When you are in green, go ahead and upshift! Higher the gear, more the speed at a given RPM (see graph)

The Grey Torquedo - My Optra Magnum - The Next Level!-optraspeeds.jpg

So when you go and to TD the Optra, just take a look at this. All you need to do is :

1. In a certain gear, note the current speed.
2. If the speed is greater than or equal to the safe range (non orange ) of the higher gear at the same speed, upshift.
3. In 1st gear - you can drive and pull comfortably at any RPM till 2500
In 2nd gear - you can drive and pull comfortable above 1000 RPM
3rd gear onwards - Do not drop below 1500 RPM. If that happens, downshift!

4. Try and stay above 2000 (2100) rpm and you will have the time of your life (2100 to 3500 rpm is the meaty region)

Special effects :
In the second gear, bring the revs down to 1500 rpm and slowly accelerate. Let the rpm needle just cross 2100 gradually. Enjoy the 'warp zone' effect when the Turbo kicks in at it's best!
Try the similar thing in 3rd gear - the surge is a wee bit less pronounced, but the feeling is still awesome

Now all this is too much by the book, and is meant to be a guideline. I would myself recommend you to completely ignore it and actually enjoy the drive and take your decisions by the feel of the car (she will talk to you and let you know what she needs if only you care to listen).

After this, let me know if you are still having issues in handling, pulling, overtaking or zig-zagging in traffic

Last edited by GTO : 14th July 2012 at 13:08. Reason: Please do NOT post any content / pictures about illegal speeds
keyur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2011, 11:37   #246
BANNED

Keyur -

You have done enough research on the Optra, so let me ask you this -

The turbo kicks in on the Optra @ 2125 RPM, do you have clue on the RPM band wherein you can feel the turbo being active?

In other words, what is the range of the turbo on the Optra, nowhere is it mentioned on the portals, brochures and other places that I have searched.

Happy Motoring !!
Old 13th September 2011, 10:54   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
Keyur -

You have done enough research on the Optra, so let me ask you this -

The turbo kicks in on the Optra @ 2125 RPM, do you have clue on the RPM band wherein you can feel the turbo being active?

In other words, what is the range of the turbo on the Optra, nowhere is it mentioned on the portals, brochures and other places that I have searched.

Happy Motoring !!
I would say that you feel it (and can use it) best on the 3rd, 4th and 5th gears from 2100 rpm to about 3500 - 3800 rpm.
keyur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2011, 13:19   #248
BHPian

I don't want to call it so, but it is so similar to the earlier issue that I HAVE to call it deja vu!

THIS is the earlier issue I was talking about.

21st Sept., around 9:30 pm, I was on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway. I was driving around 80 kmph (avoid driving fast at night) and was in the Center lane. The road was plain and smooth - no ditches, no undulations no obstacles!. All of a sudden, there was a thud and the vehicle became sluggish. I realized that this was a tyre issue and so had to take the vehicle into the service lane. There was a lot of truck traffic, so had to drive some distance before I could stop.

I was hoping against hope that it would be a simple puncture, but that was not to be. The tyre was cracked at EXACTLY the same location (edge where the sidewall meets the tread), no signs of external damage (again EXACTLY like the last time), and a pinch to the tyre near the rim (after when the tyre went flat, again EXACTLY like the last time). There were no other signs of damage anywhere.

The first time, Apollo attributed it to an accidental external damage. I was driving fast and I did not have any argument to counter their claims, but this time is the second time, and I am DAMN sure about the entire situation. There was no obstacle, nothing on the road. I was driving at an average speed, the car was not loaded, just 4 people (none overweight or even heavy for that matter).

I am convinced that the tyre is too soft and thin at the place where the side wall meets the tread, and probably gets damaged when the tyre gets heated due to damage. I am totally scared of driving with these tyres on my car now. The last time, Apollo's Regional Manager, Mr. Giridharan had told me that accidents happen and this is a one-off thing. So now Mr. Giridharan, what do you have to say? Same situation, same marks, same car!

I think that either GM has chosen the wrong brand for their tyres or Apollo has designed the tyres wrongly or there was an issue in the tyres in that batch.

The tyre has been submitted to Apollo for investigation, but I am sure that they are going to come back with the same replies as last time attributing it to external damage. But this time, I am planning to take the help of the law if the time comes, for providing faulty material that is endangering human life!

Will upload the tyre damage pics soon!
Old 23rd September 2011, 15:21   #249
BHPian

Oh man. Not again. Cannot believe this is happening to you second time. Same tyre, same damage. Even my Optra has Apollos. I sincerely hope the Apollo guys have a good explanation to this.
Old 23rd September 2011, 15:46   #250
BHPian

Quote:
I don't want to call it so, but it is so similar to the earlier issue that I HAVE to call it deja vu!

Will upload the tyre damage pics soon!
Such things happening on the E-Way are bad. You are lucky to have a solid car that does not sway or topple due to sudden deflations. If this is the second time, as you have said, it seems like it is not just coincidental. If Apollo makes tyres for Indian roads, they should design them to withstand much more than the slight undulations. Even normal broken roads and obstacles should be taken care of by such tyres meant for Indian roads.

You should file a Public Interest Litigation and also ask GM / Apollo to change all the tyres for you - afterall, even if you are a cat, you will have only 9 lives at max!
Old 23rd September 2011, 16:33   #251
BHPian

Tyre bust on EWay is a scary situation Keyur. Good to know that you are safe. Wrong tyre choice by GM IMO. This is just unacceptable.
Old 23rd September 2011, 17:01   #252
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank God you are safe. Imagine if such a thing would have happened when you were doing the tests with engine singing at 4100 rpm in 5th gear.

Please change the complete set of tyres to Michelin or Good Year or Yoko or Bridgestone. IMO too, you should take this up with Apollo and General Motors, but you need not risk another incident with the stupid tyres on your car. Please change your tyres immediately.
Old 24th September 2011, 04:21   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
I sincerely hope the Apollo guys have a good explanation to this.
Those guys always have the same explanation - driver mistake or accident - external damage. The last time too, I had argued a lot, but they did not agree. In the end, they gave me 50% off on the new tyre, but that too as a goodwill gesture - they never accepted that anything might be wrong with the tyre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueorchid View Post
If this is the second time, as you have said, it seems like it is not just coincidental. If Apollo makes tyres for Indian roads, they should design them to withstand much more than the slight undulations. Even normal broken roads and obstacles should be taken care of by such tyres meant for Indian roads.

You should file a Public Interest Litigation and also ask GM / Apollo to change all the tyres for you
This is definitely not co-incidental. And I agree that for Indian roads, they need to make the tyres a bit tougher. The Apollos are really thin at the place where they are bursting. Out other cars have had JK, MRF, Bridgestone and Goodyears - and not even once has such a thing happened (in atleast about 14 years) - and the roads have been really bad in those situations - but still the tyres held good!

In the end, I think that if GM / Apollo does not take the responsibility or atleast give an acceptable explanation, the consumer court or a PIL seems to be the only option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
Tyre bust on EWay is a scary situation Keyur. Good to know that you are safe. Wrong tyre choice by GM IMO. This is just unacceptable.
Thanks for the concern.
I agree. This is unacceptable. Both the times it happened, the good old car held on firmly, so I do not know whether I should be thankful to GM for building such a great car, or should I be complaining against them for choosing these tyres! But there don't seem to be too many complaints about the tyres for other Optras (although there are a few instances where such unexplained bursts have happened for Apollos in other cars). So I am assuming that the entire batch was faulty to some extent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Thank God you are safe.

Please change the complete set of tyres to Michelin or Good Year or Yoko or Bridgestone. IMO too, you should take this up with Apollo and General Motors, but you need not risk another incident with the stupid tyres on your car. Please change your tyres immediately.
Thanks for the concern.
IMHO, Michelins and Yokos are even softer and tread wear and damage to the sidewalls may increase. I am actually thinking of good old Madras Rubber Factory (MRF) tyres!
Old 24th September 2011, 06:53   #254
BHPian

Hey keyur!!

Any update on the RaceDynamics tuning box??
Old 24th September 2011, 07:29   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangakishen View Post
Hey keyur!!

Any update on the RaceDynamics tuning box??
Hey Ranga! I am contemplating on the RaceChip now!
The RD box is great, but it does not change the boost pressure, and only increases rail pressure. So basically : more fuel + less air = black smoke.

Nothing decided yet - in case the RaceChip is also not gonna be useful, RD box it will be!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks