Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2012, 10:03   #286
BHPian

Re: The Grey Torqedo - My Chevy Optra Magnum 2.0 TCDI. 5k &10k KM Services (Pg 14 & 1

Hi Keyur,
This is one of the best Optra Magnum Threads on Tbhp and a really big thanks for this. The optra magnum is a great car and a contender for my next purchase as well!

I wanted to ask you about the creaking noise issue. In November, you said it has been sorted out but it has a tendency to come up again. Has it appeared again or has the problem been solved permanently?
Old 23rd January 2012, 18:27   #287
BHPian

Re: The Grey Torqedo - My Chevy Optra Magnum 2.0 TCDI. 5k &10k KM Services (Pg 14 & 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Dear Keyur and other TBHPians,
After going through your posts i am also planning to buy Optra Diesel.
Quote:
Do you have any advices or pointers on buying process ?
I have trident jayanagar or kropex housr road as dealers in B'lore.

Thanks in advance
Regards
Quote:
Originally Posted by B103 View Post
Do you have any advice for a prospective Optra buyer? Any matter including discounts to seek from Chevrolet to tyre or headlight upgrades, will all be appreciated.
Hi @Tornado, @B103 -
I purchased an LS just a few weeks back from Kropex Indiranagar - you can find my buying experience here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...um-thread.html

In terms of my purchase process, I played one dealer against the other (Kropex v/s Trident) and also brought in other cars into the fray. I literally called one dealer after the other back-and-forth, and I was completely transparent in what each was offering (a serious sales person will figure out if you are fibbing when you say the other guy is offering unbelievable discounts...I felt the best option was to be transparent and let them outbid each other till they come to the point where they say "sir, in that case, please go ahead with the other dealer!")

If you can wait and want the best offers, you should probably book a car in March as all dealers will be under pressure to meet their annual sales targets.

In terms of upgrades to ask for, I will defer to the Optra gurus in the forum...typically, you will look at the headlight / ICE / tires.
I am happy with the stock options but will have preferred a better ICE. Apollo Accelare tires are pretty good too - there is a thread on BHP which compares the various tire options and many like what Apollo offers. (However, I am no expert and so will not defend this advice)

Last edited by chetan_l : 23rd January 2012 at 18:34. Reason: Wanted to add another point
chetan_l is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2012, 21:02   #288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpMan View Post
Hey Keyur,

Congratulations on owning this beast. What a wonderful & informative thread we have here. Took me 2 days to go through the entire thread. Fell more in love with the Magnum after this. Test drove it a few days back, and I just can't concentrate on anything else. Hell bent on getting it home asap. Will keep you troubled if need any info on this.

Cheers.
Thanks. The beast has prowled over 15000 kms and is due for the third service. This is the first paid service and probably the one that will give an actual idea about the costs of servicing.
You are most welcome to 'trouble' me - happy to help!

Quote:
My late congratulations for owning this wonderful motor, Keyur.
Thanks!

Quote:
Meantime, his cousin called up and they end up talking about Optra Magnum, by chance. From last what I have heard, three guys are planning to make a group booking of 3 Magnums. Wow!!

I am waiting for the car to arrive at our office so that I can also do a test drive. Your post has been quite helpful for our analysis. Thank you Keyur.
Good going! Ideally, the Magnum should be the last car to be test driven. You test drive the other cars, spend a lot of time deciding amongst them, compare the finer points etc..... Then... you drive the Magnum, and all of a sudden, the tsunami washes over all other comparisons, and all you see is the Magnum!!

Quote:
Do you have any advice for a prospective Optra buyer? Any matter including discounts to seek from Chevrolet to tyre or headlight upgrades, will all be appreciated.
Although I had a lot of issues with my stock tyres (Apollos), I would say that they should suffice. Softer tyres on the Magnum are not of much help. If you put road safety and durability over road noise, harder tyres are better (bridgestones or mrfs). Or you can keep the stock tyres at 32+ and you should be OK. I keep mine at 33 for front and 32 for rear.
The lights - you should definitely change. I went in for the Philips Xtreme Visions as you can see in my thread. They are good for reach and brightness and do not require any wiring modifications (read harness, relay etc). They are direct plug and play, so should be the best bet for a new car where you want to play safe with warranty and mods. Also, the reach is enough to avoid running out of visible road.

Rear parking sensors could be helpful (especially if you are upgrading from a hatch)

My next mod is to get bi-xenon projectors fitted into my Magnum. Work is in progress and will update soon.

Quote:
Dear Keyur and other TBHPians,
After going through your posts i am also planning to buy Optra Diesel.
I was contemplating on used fusion, new etios, new skoda rapid etc..But finally again i am back to Optra.
Optra diesel 2012 price is reduced below 11 lacks on the road for LT model in Bangalore. It would be 10.8 L i believe

I am selling my used Innova and Palio 1.9D ( thought its tough to make such decision) in orde to buy the optra and plannign to keep it for next 5 years.

Do you have any advices or pointers on buying process ?
I have trident jayanagar or kropex housr road as dealers in B'lore.
After the 1.9D, only the Magnum can take you a step beyond! Good choice, and one that you should not regret!

The discounts all around are more or less the same. It's either free insurance + few accessories or a cash discount from 30-40K. Take a look at the discounts, ask for a few freebies and try to haggle it out with more than 1 dealer by pitting them against each other. Ask for a quote from some online car dealer or broker and add his rates into the fray - eventually, you will reach a stalemate with all the dealers giving similar prices - then buy from the one with the best service station

Ensure that even if you have to wait, you get a car fresh from the oven (check the VIN and the month of manufacture on the placard near the left from door bottom). (But, you may get a deal on a car which has been sitting in the stock yard, if you are not crazy about a particular colour).
Do a detailed PDI before delivery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
Hi Keyur,
This is one of the best Optra Magnum Threads on Tbhp and a really big thanks for this. The optra magnum is a great car and a contender for my next purchase as well!

I wanted to ask you about the creaking noise issue. In November, you said it has been sorted out but it has a tendency to come up again. Has it appeared again or has the problem been solved permanently?
Thanks DeKay.

The creaking noise is pretty much resolved. There is a slight noise sometimes, but it might be the door or the trims this time. The noise is slight, and I am extra sensitive to sounds (I tend to catch the sounds and get irritated by the slight tinkle of zippers on bags), so do not worry too much about my creak rants!

All the best with your purchase!
Old 30th January 2012, 21:21   #289
BHPian

I'm the same kind. I too get irritated by the slightest of noises and hate creeks and rattles. Hence, I wanted to ask you about the Magnum. I currently drive the Dzire which is a huge rattlebox.

So, the next car I purchase shouldn't give me such headaches.

Now, taking what I said into consideration, would you recommend the Magnum to me?
Old 31st January 2012, 08:51   #290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnaturallywired View Post
As much euphoric people are about this product called Optra Magnum, it has since proved otherwise for me from the time i took the delivery 10 days ago from Trident Chevrolet Kalyan Nagar B'lore.. Calling the problems i faced over the last 10 days may be called Niggling may be malapropism but that being said am not sure of calling it major problems either !! Well to unfold the story, the day i took the delivery of the car the speedometer wasnt functional and was attributed to VSS sensor problem after 3 days. Since the Vehicle Speed Sensor is housed in the gearbox, GM INdia promptly told me that the entire gearbox assembly will be replaced this week. Yes, u heard it right, the entire GBox!!!
After 2 days am on a highway with my family in the rain and the AC goes Kaput !! The wiper blades makes an exasperating noise (brrrrrr,brrrrr)

I drive straight into Trident nd litterally bought the roof down upon all the service and sales staff and i was immediately put across to their Zonal sales head who happened to be in their showroom at that very moment and i breathed fire on him too.. Assurances,assurances,assurances !!!!!

second time again yesterday, gone out for a drive with my fiance n KAPUT !!! guess what? AC refuses to cool me... At this point of time i was undergoing psychological defense mechanism n started to pinch myself saying "this cant happen to a car as new as 10 days" but adhoc hypothesisation of the present wasnt helping hence i drive straight to Trident and complain...Thermostat problem !!! whoaaaaa, it wont de-ice, hence the air on the cooling coils has no space to pass through making only the blower to work !!! now am waiting for the service folks to fix all the problems to kill the issues and will get my car on thursday 25th aug.Now before any of you ardent magnum worshippers react saying "it is one of the cases only", there have been many instances like Sreeji Nair, shashank (friend of mine n not in TBHP) and few others have had the same problem and let me tell u that this is not instilling confidence. Pessimistic i may sound, but thats my rational and Optra for all you know may be just that "CHARM OFFENSIVE" ( if it proves me otherwise, i'll be very happy)...
so before you guys sign on the delivery papers dont succumb to the love bombing from Optra/ sales folks ( remember they have to display emotional labor which at the end is nothing but superficial) or any of us here for that matter. Be rational and choose carefully..will keep you guys updated on my story
Hi,

Just happened to read your post and I relate to your situation. As good as the optra magnum is supposed to be so bad is the A.S.S experience and my life with the car also had its share of frustrations and especially so when I was traveling with family. I really needed to take care of this beast like a beauty. More power to you bro!

Take care
Sunny
Old 31st January 2012, 08:55   #291
BHPian

Hi all,

My experience since 2007 with the Magnum is the following:

Comfort: Excellent. One of the most comfortable cars to drive in. Except the low seating which makes it difficult for senior citizens to ingress and egress from the car.

NVH: Pretty quiet on relaxed drives. Gets a bit noisy (engine) over 120KMPH

AC: Not reliable. Had to get a lot of servicing done.

Power: Amazing pull save for the turbo lag. Joy to propel off at signals. Diesel is quite frugal gives good mileage on cruised driving.

Creaking/ Quality of parts and components: Poor. Creaking starts soon enough especially near the door and the suspension which is also the forte of the car starts squeaking after about two years.

Overall the car is a great package for the price. But the troubles are also many.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
I'm the same kind. I too get irritated by the slightest of noises and hate creeks and rattles. Hence, I wanted to ask you about the Magnum. I currently drive the Dzire which is a huge rattlebox.

Now, taking what I said into consideration, would you recommend the Magnum to me?
Dekay

I have owned a magnum since october 2007 and my next car will be a 2012 Honda City AT. Believe me more than anything I want a zero headache car and I want to save my left foot which has been wrecked by the Magnum clutch. Of course the sheer power of the magnum is overwhelming but so are the troubles with it. Honda City= Zero Headache at least compared to the Magnum. The worst thing to happen is a breakdown and that too when you are with your family.

Sunny

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by .anshuman : 31st January 2012 at 14:32.
sunster is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 31st January 2012, 13:33   #292
BHPian

Quote:

Yes, I would still recommend the Magnum to you. The NVH characteristics of the car are excellent, and that is the sole reason that I hear the creaks! I also hardly turn on the music, so that's another reason!

The creaks that I have faced in my car were not seen in the 3-4 other Magnums that I have driven - a couple of them more than 2 years old. Recently (for the past 3 days) I was driving around in a 4 year old (56700 kms) Magnum at a relative's wedding, and even that had no such noises emanating from anywhere - and the boost was ever present!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunster View Post
Dekay

I have owned a magnum since october 2007 and my next car will be a 2012 Honda City AT. Believe me more than anything I want a zero headache car and I want to save my left foot which has been wrecked by the Magnum clutch. Of course the sheer power of the magnum is overwhelming but so are the troubles with it. Honda City= Zero Headache at least compared to the Magnum. The worst thing to happen is a breakdown and that too when you are with your family.

My 2 cents

Sunny
There is no zero-head ache car. The brand by itself does not make the car issue free - there is always a lemon that comes in a batch! The brand cannot prevent break downs - if that would be the case, Honda would not need an emergency help line!
The clutch of the Magnum is a bit hard, but not so hard that it would cause problems - I have been driving around quite a bit, and upto 600 kms non-stop, but the clutch did not trouble me as such. Of course, compared to the AT, any clutch can be an issue
keyur is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2012, 13:41   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyur View Post
Yes
The clutch of the Magnum is a bit hard, but not so hard that it would cause problems - I have been driving around quite a bit, and upto 600 kms non-stop, but the clutch did not trouble me as such. Of course, compared to the AT, any clutch can be an issue
I specifically mentioned the clutch since my Magnum's clutch gave way and had to get it replaced which cost me a bomb amongst other repairs. It hurt a lot since I went against my family's wishes to buy this car and as you rightly said I got the sour lemon amongst the lot. Now everyone laughs at my decision.

Just my experience

Cheers

Sunny

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Hi All,

We own 3 vehicles. A Swift Vxi petrol (2006), Chevrolet Optra Magnum(2007) and a Honda CRV(2004 Dec). Of all these vehicles the Optra is the only one that troubled the most. the other two never went for any major repairs. I just want to stress that problems could occur with any vehicle as a fact but I feel that build quality, durability, A.S.S and wear and tear wise- The Honda is the best and the Magnum last in that order.

Thanks

Sunny

Last edited by .anshuman : 31st January 2012 at 14:39.
Old 31st January 2012, 14:08   #294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunster View Post
I specifically mentioned the clutch since my Magnum's clutch gave way and had to get it replaced which cost me a bomb amongst other repairs.
Hey, what happened to the clutch plate, and at how many kms? How exactly did it give away?
Old 31st January 2012, 14:19   #295
BHPian

Keyur,

The Clutch plate and flywheel got jammed and gave way after 35000 kms. There always used to be a grinding noise on acceleration and on pulling the car in first gear there used to be a humming noise. I suspected foul and on taking to the garage it was all bad.

Sunny
Old 20th February 2012, 01:14   #296

Quote:
My late congratulations for owning this wonderful motor, Keyur.

.......Meantime, his cousin called up and they end up talking about Optra Magnum, by chance. From last what I have heard, three guys are planning to make a group booking of 3 Magnums. Wow!!

I am waiting for the car to arrive at our office so that I can also do a test drive. Your post has been quite helpful for our analysis. Thank you Keyur.....
I think I saw this group in Trident Kalyan Nagar when I was checking out the Optra. Last week I was told that my vehicle is coming along with 3 other optras booked by a group from Wipro. I guess we are referring to the same people. I am yet to take delivery and it might be on the 22nd, Keyur. it was your comprehensive review that pushed me to opt for the Optra.
Thank you.
Old 20th February 2012, 01:36   #297

Hi Keyur,
I have gone through your thread and it helped greatly to decide on the Opra Magnum TCDI. I will be driving around in the new car by next week hopefully. While your opinions and experience was highly satisfactory, there are others who had concerns with the performance and reliability. I am worried about the GC of the vehicle. Is there any way the GC can be increased without major modification (Not affecting the warranty).
Old 20th February 2012, 19:08   #298
BHPian

This is like a new leaf in the old book but i'll be happy to contribute and what more, am happy that my car gave me the initial problems as GM guys have got my car covered under warranty for 5 years instead of 2!!!!!!! i did give those blokes some sleepless nights and shot mails directy to the then MD of GM India & it worked. But now, the car is perfect and after numerous long drives (goa,alleypey, belgaum,chickmagalur etc) i have not faced a single issue...Trust this experience continues
Old 20th February 2012, 22:51   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjmads View Post
Hi Keyur,
I have gone through your thread and it helped greatly to decide on the Opra Magnum TCDI. I will be driving around in the new car by next week hopefully. While your opinions and experience was highly satisfactory, there are others who had concerns with the performance and reliability. I am worried about the GC of the vehicle. Is there any way the GC can be increased without major modification (Not affecting the warranty).
Congrats on your decision! I now own an Optra for the past 1.5 months and have driven on most major roads (and side roads) in Bangalore. I have never faced any problem with the GC. In fact the under-body is protected very well which is handy is the event of a scrape. IMO, you do not have to go in for any modifications to the suspension
chetan_l is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2012, 23:52   #300

First glimpse of the Chevy Optra Magnum I have booked. Waiting in the stockyard for a wash and clean up.... Likely to be registered tomorrow.The Grey Torquedo - My Optra Magnum - The Next Level!-20120220006-car.jpg

The Grey Torquedo - My Optra Magnum - The Next Level!-20120220007-car.jpg

Most Viewed