Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2011, 05:53   #1
BHPian

The Grey Torquedo - My Optra Magnum - The Next Level!

INDEX
  1. The Choice (Purchase details and 1000km Assurance Checkup)
  2. Tyre Burst Issue (First tyre burst at 3300 km)
  3. First Servicing (5000 km service report)
  4. Tyre Burst Issue (again at around 6500 km)
  5. Second Servicing (10000 km service report)
  6. Steering Pump Replacement
  7. Race Chipped !! (Installation of the Race Chip at 11000 km)
  8. Third Servicing (15000 km paid service report - coming soon)
  9. Brake Pad change (DIY for the front brake pads)

HELPFUL LINKS
  1. General pics (1, 2, 3 )
  2. Interior pics (1, 2 )
  3. Optra Dynamics (Gear ratios, shifting guide)
  4. Optra DIY thread(Do It Yourself mods for the Optra)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The choice:

I was hell bent on purchasing the Tata Safari (there are no reasons and justifications - I love the Safari and thats that) and was on the way to take a final test drive. My wife was with me and was not very happy about my choice, but was still being supportive.
On the way to the TATA showroom, I saw a Chevy Cruze being test driven, and on an impulse decided to go an take a look at it. So with a quick U-turn in my trusty Swift, I headed towards the nearest Chevy showroom (Pashankar Auto, PCMC branch, Pune).

Over there, after initial formalities, I got into the Cruze, with my wife riding shotgun, and the sales rep, Rohan, sitting behind. I asked for the keys and was told that the vehicle is keyless (raised eyebrows from me), and that it takes a push button to start the vehicle (eyebrows raised higher). Now I consider myself pretty tech savvy, but where a car goes, I prefer the manual shift, key ignition and doors that DO NOT get unlocked by proximity, and I voiced my opinions to Rohan.
He was quick to tell me that there is a lower model which has all the manual features, so it should not be an issue. So leaving that behind, I pushed the button, the car roared to life, and by the time Rohan was giving me further instructions, I had shot off - literally! I liked the "diesel rocket" effect, but with some reservations. The drive was fabulous, the power drive, even better !! The die hard Safari fan in me was slinking away, kilometer by kilometer. Beside me, my wife was seeing my changing intentions and seemed very happy about it.

By the end of the drive, I had decided to purchase the Cruze. Just to close the deal with a final opinion from my dad, I took the test drive car to our house to get my dad to try it out.

When my dad got behind the wheel, I got in behind him in the rear seat, and that's where I realized that the car is very compact, and to an extent, cramped in the rear seating. My dad and me, both being tall, require leg space, and with both of us sitting on the same side (him in front, me behind), I realized that the leg space isn't that great - rather, it is pretty uncomfortable, especially on long drives. That's when my dad passed a comment that the console of the car was too crowded, too much stuff, too jazzy - and then it struck me that the overbearing, enveloping console was the exact thing that had been nagging me earlier.
I am the kind of a guy, who is not sold by "features" like inbuilt bluetooth, music systems, push buttons (duh), proximity sensor keyless entry (strict no-no), console colours and other superficial stuff. I need the car to have good specs and performance. The Cruze no doubt has great internals, but the seating and the too-much-console was putting me off.

And that's when I remembered the Optra Magnum Diesel - the "original" rocket. For some reason, I had completely missed out on that (shame on me). But now with the Safari out of the picture (shame on me again), my scope had just expanded, and I decided to take a quick look at some other options.

To cut the story short, these are what I considered :

Chevy Cruze - The car that got me to change my mind about the Safari, not by any technical comparison (no point in doing that), but by the sheer awe that I felt about the Cruze. Frankly, I would have had the Safari today if I had not gone in for that fateful test drive.
Pros : Excellent engine, excellent power and pickup, decent mileage, great looks
Cons : Not so great rear seating - kinda compact, overbearing console, too eager to jump.

Hyundai Verna Fluidic
Pros : Stunning design, great interiors and features
Cons : Awkward rear seating, cramped, engine not powerful enough (afterall, I had just driven the Cruze), didnt find it worth the price

VW Vento
Pros : OK looks, "German engineering (whatever)", decent mileage, decent power (crap compared to the Cruze)
Cons : Engine not as powerful (potentially), Cramped (really cramped) rear seating, logo stealer magnet (too many Ventos seen with stolen logos), not such great value for money, over hyped by the talking newspaper advt.

Chevy Optra - Well, this would have come in before the Vento, but the dealer did not have a vehicle to show me
Pros : Sleek looks, Excellent engine, Excellent power and pickup, Fully loaded, spacious (bloody couch in the rear), decent mileage (esp for the power it gives), great Value for money
Cons : Well, this is my review, and my views, and I did not find any cons, so I went ahead and bought it !! (You kinda tend to ignore the cons when you are in love with that thing)

I was planning on taking a look at the new Fiesta, the Octavia and the Laura, but after seeing the Optra, I just stopped my search - no point going to ten places when your heart is already set on something!!

Right, so once I had done my superficial study and comparison, and had decided on the Optra, I visited Team BHP's reviews on the Optra. There I was thoroughly convinced that I was making the right choice. And so from nearly buying the Safari, then switching over to the Cruze, I decided on the Optra Magnum Diesel.

I absolutely hate Chrome, can't bear leather, and am not inclined towards the benefits of ABS, so the LS it was for me. And with my intention of getting on Bilsteins and a remap or Pete's box (after all, near to 160 bhp / 400 nm is definitely tempting) after 1 year, the saved money was definitely going to be useful!

Now this was around the last week of April 2011, and I realized that 6th May 2011 was Akshaya Tritiya, one of the most auspicious occasions for Hindus. With all my previous vehicles having been delivered on Akshaya Tritiya, I did not want to let go of the opportunity of getting the Maggy too on Akshaya Tritiya. But this was easier said than done.
I had two major issues :
1. Optra delivery had a 1.5 months waiting period
2. The loan processing would take some time from any bank.
I asked various agencies for the Optra Magnum Diesel LS - Sand Drift Grey, but there was none in stock. That's when my dad came to the rescue again. He got in touch with some of his acquaintances at GM and the 1.5 months waiting was brought down to 4 days - yippee!! The car was dispatched from Halol the very next day. Thanks GM!!
At the same time, some contacts from the State Bank of India were also very helpful and I got my loan processed within 4 days.

To add to the entire experience, Mr. Rohan Patil from Pashankar Motors and the branch manager, Mr. Prashant Pore were extremely helpful and offered me a very sweet deal!
I got the Insurance waiver (GM offer), a hefty corporate discount, and additional local discount, mud flaps, floor mats, car cover and window sun protective filming as a part of the deal - it was a sweet deal indeed!

I would highly recommend Pashankar Motors, Pimpri Chinchwad and especially Mr. Prashant Pore and Mr. Rohan Patil to anyone who would like to go for a Chevy in Pune. They were the guys who made the purchase process extremely smooth for me, not to forget the people at GM who made the delivery possible!

When the vehicle came in to the stockyard, Mr. Prashant, the manager, himself took me for the PDI (something which I had prepared thanks to TBHP). I checked all the details, got the PDI pics, saw the VIN ( MA6NFADDBBHXXXXXX ) and the placard near the front left door showing Manufacturing date as DB and realized that this was freshly baked! The car was from the April 2011 batch, one of the latest batches. Completely satisfied with the PDI, I went home, eager to get the delivery done asap (but still had to wait a few days for the Muhurat)..

And then the day came when I finally took possession of the car. We reached the showroom early in the morning to avoid the Muhurat rush. The car was ready with all the promised accessories. I was given a detailed explanation about the features and servicing (and I was like... get it over with fast, just let me get behind the wheel!!). The customary Pooja was carried out. Mr. Prashant Pore himself checked that everything was in order and as a surprise, presented me with an exquisite GM keychain (not the reqular ones) - a small gesture, and totally unnecessary, as I was already very happy with them, but nevertheless, something which I liked and appreciated!

Finally I got in behind the wheel, and what a feeling it was!! I remembered the drive in the Cruze, and couldnt help but compare, and here are my observations :
For those of you who understand dogs, the Cruze is like a Rottweiler, very energetic and powerful, but a little less in the head. Too aggressive, and always straining at the leash, trying desperately to jump ahead. (Definitely not something I want in bumper to bumper traffic.) The Variable Geometry Turbo does provide a linearity, but you need to be on your toes to handle the power.
But the Optra is like a well trained German Shepherd, powerful yet intelligent. Ready at your beck and call, heeding and responding to every command. Giving you the power when you need it, but not pushing away unnecessarily. The Fixed Turbo has a lag, noticeable on 1st and 2nd gears, but it prevents the car from being jumpy. And the "Warp Zone" effect (Star Trek) is something that the lag actually accentuates, something that I did not get in the Cruze.

Once I got into the car, I just could not get out. I dropped my wife off to work amid some heavy traffic, and the car handled beautifully. I just kept finding reasons to keep driving, and till today, I am still not over it!!

Here are a few pics :

The Grey Torquedo - My Optra Magnum - The Next Level!-dsc_4349.jpg

The Grey Torquedo - My Optra Magnum - The Next Level!-dsc_4348.jpg

The Grey Torquedo - My Optra Magnum - The Next Level!-dsc_4375.jpg

The Grey Torquedo - My Optra Magnum - The Next Level!-dsc_4438.jpg

The Grey Torquedo - My Optra Magnum - The Next Level!-dsc_4444.jpg

The Grey Torquedo - My Optra Magnum - The Next Level!-dsc_4494.jpg

The Grey Torquedo - My Optra Magnum - The Next Level!-dsc_8076.jpg

The Grey Torquedo - My Optra Magnum - The Next Level!-dsc_0462.jpg

Details :
  • Optra Magnum Diesel LS - Sand Drift Grey
  • All 5 Alloy wheels with Appollo Acceleres (pretty decent tyres, not much road noise if you keep them at 28-30)
  • New 5 spoke alloys (not the earlier sporty twin spokes), but I like the new ones as well
  • BS4 compliant (slightly reduced specs as per reviews, not verified - manual still shows 121/314) - to be fixed later with a remap
  • Fuel economy - 15 with AC, mixed driving
  • Top speed reached - 210kph (till now, only once) on the Mumbai Pune Expressway - I regularly hit 190, but dared to push the accelerator further only once! (will try to get a photo of the speedo next time)
Things I enjoy about my Maggy :
  1. The car has got heart - and does it pump!! The engine is awesome (that's why it powers the Cruze and the Captiva)
  2. Amazing power and pickup.
  3. The "warp zone" feeling I get when the Turbo Charger kicks in at around 2100 rpm (everything around me slows done, and I zoom through - remember the Matrix bullet time mode )
  4. Great mileage with me averaging at 140 kph (my Swift petrol gives me about 12, so the 16 with Diesel with the power that the Maggy gives is just too good)
  5. Excellent mile cruncher - you do not realize how the distance gets gobbled up - no-stress driving.
  6. Spacious interiors - with the drivers seat completely pushed back, the rear passenger can still stretch is legs (something that is sorely missing in the Cruze)
  7. Decent trims - though the interiors are not out of the world, the quality and fitting is top class. Gives the car a rich feel.
  8. Fully loaded - heck, I went to get in some accessories fitted, and all i got was the leather steering grip - there was nothing else to put in!
  9. Huge boot - you could put a small horse in there!
  10. I am not much of a music lover, but the ICE provided by GM sounds very good - it was one of the things much appreciated by friends
  11. The feeling of complete control - the Maggy can give you a smooth laid back, relaxed ride, but at the tap of the pedal, it can take you on a power drive, literally leaving all others biting the dust.
  12. Comfort - Very comfortable ride thanks to great handling, great suspension, good tyres and pretty good noise reduction.
Overhyped Cons about the Maggy (in my Not So Humble opinion )
  1. Road noise - I have driven over tarmac, cement, unpaved roads, and some really shitty terrain, but road noise is not something which I have noticed. Keep the wheels at 29/30 and you get a really smooth ride, atleast with the Acceleres. I feel there is no need to go for a tyre change immediately.
  2. Roll - The car has a slight roll, but not something that stops you from handling curves at 120. You get used to it, and then you learn to love the feeling!
  3. Headlights - The earlier headlights seem to be halonix. But the current ones in the car are Philips HP+ (dont know the brand name). They are not the best, but not as bad as they are made out to be.
  4. High maintenance - The 3 year Chevrolet promise is all about the maintenance cost guarantee. Its a fill it, forget it car. Dont trust me, ask others!
  5. Lack of features - The car has got all 4 discs, all 5 alloys (unlike the Vento), great interiors, integrated music system, great cooling and heating, electronically adjustable ORVMs, a freakin sunglass holder, central locking, remote locking and so many other features.
    I do not care if there is no bluetooth, or that the seat adjustment is manual, or if there is no meter telling me how further my car can go on the current fuel, or an irritating voice telling me that I have "now opened the door" or an automatic Butt Wipe for that matter. I want a car that has heart, and if you are the kind of person who buys a car based on the features just mentioned, well good luck - you can get your Ventos and Citys - this is for the real boys!
  • To all those people who are looking at spending 9-11 lakhs on a car, please take a test drive of the Optra. I am sure that you will not look at other options. Its just too good to pass up!
  • To all those people who ask me " Why did you not buy a Honda City or a Vento? " - well, normally I would give a very dirty look and not answer the question - there is absolutely no comparison between the Optra and these cars. Its a steal to get a car like an Optra within 10 lakhs. These other cars do not even come close (literally, on the road as well). If you are a person who likes Value For Money, Power, Mileage, Stability and is not into superficial crap, look no further.
Few issues which I faced :
  1. Headlights - The headlights need some improvement - I find the original lights in my Swift to be much better. I can do with the current headlights, but with all the great features, why miss out on this one?
  2. Steering Wheel - The steering wheel is too dull with the 3 spokes, and the horn is placed in the centre. With all the other great features, it was a shame to be disappointed by the horn.
  3. Servicing - My first assurance checkup experience wasn't very good. The Pashankar Auto PCMC branch from where I bought the car does not have a service station yet so I had to go to their Baner branch. The supervisor handling my car spent a lot of time cross selling the Engine Wax Coating and Under car coating to me, when he should have been asking me issues I faced or explaining me the activities to be performed. When I went to pick up the car, I saw that the interior cleaning was not done - even issues that I had shown earlier were not addressed. When the car came in for delivery, they realized that the fuel lid lock had fallen in and took half an hour more for the resolution.
    Its probably because the Pashankar Auto Service Center at Baner is too busy with the load they are having. I am ready to let this go as a one time experience and am looking forward for the upcoming service centre at the Pashankar PCMC Dealership where I bought the car from (knowing that there are more responsible people there to handle it)
Roadmap cum wishlist:

1. Philips XV or Osram Nightbreakers as soon as possible. (Done - Philips XV) - Now onto Bi-Xenon Projectors!
2. Green Cotton at first airfilter replacement or 1 year. (No replacement available, so planning on storm kit)
3. Slotted rotors and Bilsteins at 2 years (maybe earlier if I can't control the urge for a remap) (Cancelled)
4. Remap or Pete's box (Done - Race Chip) - Now for the Remap!
5. Apollos / Bridgestones, when the time comes to change tyres.

Last edited by keyur : 16th April 2012 at 22:54. Reason: Indexed
keyur is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th July 2011, 09:05   #2
BANNED

re: The Grey Torqedo - My Chevy Optra Magnum 2.0 TCDI. 5k &10k KM Services (Pg 14 & 18)

Many a Congratulations, Keyur for owning this beast

You nearly caught my handler on the heading there

Optra indeed is a beast would loads and loads of usable torque !!

Wishing you many a Happy Miles with her.

Happy Motoring !!

A sheer VFM product IMHO.

Keyur, what was the OTR price offered to you? Any major discounts and stuff?

Do keep us posted next time you cross the 200 KMPH barrier !

PS: there is a lot of similarity in our case, planning to graduate from Swift P to Optra.

Last edited by Torquedo : 8th July 2011 at 09:16.
Old 8th July 2011, 09:24   #3
BHPian

re: The Grey Torqedo - My Chevy Optra Magnum 2.0 TCDI. 5k &10k KM Services (Pg 14 & 18)

hearty congratulations Keyur for going with your Mind and owning this refined Gem.
Now a days it's rare that you look for the old models even if they have proven heart only because of phasing out soon fear and old interiors and gadgets.
but i think your were clear for your requirements.
Headlight upgrade was a good decision and it is the case with most of the cars under 10 lacs.
I would suggest wait for the pete's mod for 1 year.
enjoy the ride and drive safe.
regards
Old 8th July 2011, 10:24   #4
BHPian

Another one! Wonderful purchase, and congratulations! Please go easy on the first few miles, or at least till the first service. Did you experience any problems with the fuel tank lid? Please read my Optra Magnum 2.0L TDCi thread as well, as I have run into my first problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyur View Post
  • Top speed reached - 210kph (till now, only once) on the Mumbai Pune Expressway - I regularly hit 190, but dared to push the accelerator further only once! (will try to get a photo of the speedo next time)
Please do not try and take photos at such high speeds! This is terribly unsafe and not just for you either.

Last edited by ByDesign : 8th July 2011 at 10:26.
ByDesign is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2011, 10:40   #5
BHPian

I am also keen on the optra.My cousin owns one and it is supremely comfortable.But the resale value puts me off.hence forced to consider new verna,vento,city.Can you please post the otr,discounts etc.Its a great ride and you have made a great choice.enjoy.
Old 8th July 2011, 11:42   #6
BHPian

Note from Mod : While we are glad that you & Keyur have sorted the matter (on page two), please do NOT make baseless accusations on fellow BHPians. The Team-BHP Community does NOT tolerate such an attitude toward other members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyur View Post
The choice:

VW Vento
Pros : OK looks, "German engineering (whatever)", decent mileage, decent power (crap compared to the Cruze)
Cons : Engine not as powerful (potentially), Cramped (really cramped) rear seating, logo stealer magnet (too many Ventos seen with stolen logos), not such great value for money, over hyped by the talking newspaper advt.
I probably shouldn't be saying this but it sounds like you work for GM. I understand that Optra is a great car. I had actually almost bought it myself. I have taken two test drives in it and can agree that there are many things it gets right. But your bashing of other cars is just not in good taste. I have taken test drive of Vento too. Though its engine is not as powerful as that of Optra, it's no slouch by any means. In fact, I prefer Vento's engine because it has negligible turbo lag when compared to Optra. Also, the rear seat is not as cramped as you make it out to be. And what's with these comments about it being over-hyped and logo-stealer's magnet etc.

You are trying too hard to make Optra look good and it shows.

Last edited by GTO : 9th July 2011 at 19:01. Reason: See Mod Note in your post
Old 8th July 2011, 12:06   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansal98
I probably shouldn't be saying this but it sounds like you work for GM. I understand that Optra is a great car. I had actually almost bought it myself. I have taken two test drives in it and can agree that there are many things it gets right. But your bashing of other cars is just not in good taste. I have taken test drive of Vento too. Though its engine is not as powerful as that of Optra, it's no slouch by any means. In fact, I prefer Vento's engine because it has negligible turbo lag when compared to Optra. Also, the rear seat is not as cramped as you make it out to be. And what's with these comments about it being over-hyped and logo-stealer's magnet etc.

@Bansal -

I guess Keyur has expressed his viewpoints on the other cars and the forum is meant for that.

Optra is indeed an amazing product, there are no good reasons why a buyer would not flaunt it.

With no, I repeat no offenses to the Vento owners here is my take after TD the Optra 6-7 times and the Vento thrice.

1) Vento for sure is overpriced, in Delhi the HL is @ 10.5x OTR and the Cruze @ 12.8x for HR registration, the Optra @ close to 9L so looking at what is on the offering the Vento indeed is overpriced and the way VW is cutting down on the features (leather wrapping missing on the HL now, no chrome on the steering and headlamps) they are not the right way.

2) Performance - Optra is better off than the Vento and comes cheaper.

3) Ergonomics - Optra has better driving position and the back seat comfort is way way better than the Vento.

4) Comparing the Optra with the Vento TL, which come in the same price bracket the following are the omissions:

a) All 4 disc brakes.
b) No alloys
c) No music system
d) An all four wheel independent suspension.
e) Front Fog Lamps.
f) Turn indicators on the OVRM's.

There might be many more to point.

So as for me, Optra is a wonderful product as was the Getz CRDi (heck I booked 1 of the last 2 remaining @ HMP way back in Aug 2009, my parents did not approve of it so I don't own one today), the only reasons why the AAM JUNTA is skeptical about it is:

1) Resale, hell people start thinking of the resale even before look at the pricing.

2) GM A$$ - There are many on the forum who have had good time with the GM A$$.

3) Gizmos - Again depends for me as for Keyur, those steering mounted control and stuff aren't a deal breaker.

No one is selling anything on the forum here, the MODS are here to inspect that.

Happy Motoring !!
Old 8th July 2011, 17:39   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByDesign View Post
Another one! Wonderful purchase, and congratulations!
Hey BD, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
hearty congratulations Keyur for going with your Mind and owning this refined Gem.
Now a days it's rare that you look for the old models even if they have proven heart only because of phasing out soon fear and old interiors and gadgets.
Thanks Nicky. With us, vehicles are not purchased with the intention of selling. The intention is to keep them for as long as possible in the best condition possible. So selling a car is usually a sad decision, and taken only if there is no other choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
Many a Congratulations, Keyur for owning this beast

You nearly caught my handler on the heading there
Hey Torquedo, thanks! That was a coincidence, ha ha! But the word is apt for the car - TORQUEDO !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revintup View Post
I am also keen on the optra.My cousin owns one and it is supremely comfortable.But the resale value puts me off.hence forced to consider new verna,vento,city.Can you please post the otr,discounts etc.Its a great ride and you have made a great choice.enjoy.
Rev,
If you are planning to spend 9-10 lakhs, I would honestly ask you to consider the Optra. The non ABS version, LS itself is fully loaded. The car is sturdy, rock solid and extremely comfortable.

I was not exaggerating when I compared the verna and the vento. I still stand by my words - there is no point in comparing the Optra to the Vento, Verna and the City. Optra is a proven diesel monster. I agree that the resale value is not great, but this is not a car you buy thinking about the resale - this car is a keeper.
The real fun with the car starts once the warranty gets over - Spend another 60 K and you would have slotted rotors, bilsteins or custom suspensions, an ecu remap and the car will go into totally another category. (400 nm, 160 bhp is no joke).

I am actually so excited that i am seriously planning to purchase a used Optra just because i cant wait for my car to get out of warranty!!

Test drive the vehicle, talk to people and find out for yourself. Because later, after spending 9-10 lakhs on some other car, when an Optra effortlessly cruises by you when you are literally standing on the accelerator, it will leave you feeling -- If only ...

(The above statement is a representation of my thought process and is not meant to hurt the sentiments of anyone living, dead or otherwise )

And yes, the bluetooth, talking gadgets and other gizmos can attract you for only so long - what remains with you for ever is the fell of the drive, the heart of the car, so choose well my friend, afterall, there is a song which says (Gore rang pe na itna gumaan kar, gora rang do din mein mit jaayega)
keyur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2011, 19:27   #9
e46
BHPian

Congrats keyur! But i still have my grudge against GM India for discontinuing the old double multispoke alloys.

Abhishek
Old 8th July 2011, 19:48   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansal98 View Post
I probably shouldn't be saying this but it sounds like you work for GM.

Bansal, TBHP rules say that you should do your research before posting comments. All you need to do is click on my name and you will see that my occupation is Software Architect. I don't think that would connect me with GM in any ways. You may also check my intro if you are so interested in my profile

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/introd...-inducted.html

By the way, i also like the Android over the iPhone, Linux over Windows, Casuals over Formals and so on. That does not make me an employee of Google, Redhat or Levi's for that matter!

Quote:
I understand that Optra is a great car. I had actually almost bought it myself. I have taken two test drives in it and can agree that there are many things it gets right. But your bashing of other cars is just not in good taste. I have taken test drive of Vento too. Though its engine is not as powerful as that of Optra, it's no slouch by any means. In fact, I prefer Vento's engine because it has negligible turbo lag when compared to Optra.
In analogy, if my bashing the Vento and going pro Optra makes me a potential GM employee, does it mean that with your pro Vento comments you are with Volkswagen? There seems to be some seriously flawed logic here.
And I understand that the comment you have about preferring the Vento engine because of the linear power delivery is your own comment and you are completely entitled to it, so to each - his own.
But by the same analogy and the fact that you have put it in my thread, I am compelled to say that I find it funny that you find the Vento engine better than the Optra's. You could have compared looks, features, service, "German engineering", alloys (or maybe not - 5 vs 4 is a no-go) and anything else, but not THE ENGINE man, not THE ENGINE!

Quote:
Also, the rear seat is not as cramped as you make it out to be.
As cramped - have you taken the back seat of the Optra? Its a bloody sofa. With the front seats completely behind, the rear passenger can stretch his legs. You can literally walk out. And 3 hefty guys can sit comfortably without having any "guy issues"
Now compare it with a Vento. One has to be short and thin (not lean, thin) to call Vento rear not-cramped. Its not just the space, its the seat ergonomics, under thigh support, height and the leg space which decide whether the rear is cramped or not.

Quote:
And what's with these comments about it being over-hyped and logo-stealer's magnet etc.
Overhyped - Check the stats - the talking newspaper advertisement (brilliant strategy by VW) resulted in the sales boost. The hype was created and all of a sudden, there was a huge waiting period for the Vento. It is important to understand that Talking Ads do not define a car.

GM has been bad in advertising the Optra, or more so in placing it in the right cost bracket at the right time! But that does not mean that there is any issue with the car.

Logo stealer magnet - Atleast in Pune and Mumbai, nearly 2 out of every 5 Vento's have their logos stolen. And a Vento without the front logo looks plain cheap. Here are some pics (the black one from some downloaded pics, the white one from my locality) :

The Grey Torquedo - My Optra Magnum - The Next Level!-ventoback.jpg

The Grey Torquedo - My Optra Magnum - The Next Level!-20110708-19.12.58.jpg

The Grey Torquedo - My Optra Magnum - The Next Level!-20110708-19.13.32.jpg

Name:  20110708 19.12.35.jpg
Views: 13299
Size:  54.3 KB

Quote:
Bansal, what is good is good and there is no denying it. Optra is good and i don't need to make it "look" good. Actually, the Optra not only looks good, but it also "feels" good, and yes, it shows!

In the end, I love the Optra, the way it pulls, the way it feels, the way it responds to every little pulse from my foot - there is no beating that feeling .. and yes, also the way it leaves all the Ventos, Jettas (yes), Vernas, Hondas (incl the CRVs) behind.

Also, let me make it very clear that I am not against the Vento - I have only voiced my personal thoughts, what I felt when I tried the Vento. I am not asking anyone to second it or to live by it.
Vento is good in it's own way, but it is not the car for me. Probably my wife will go for it
(EDIT : Asked my wife, she says no freakin way - she is after my Optra )

Last edited by Vid6639 : 9th July 2011 at 12:19. Reason: more than 2 smilies per post are not permitted.
Old 8th July 2011, 19:51   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46 View Post
Congrats keyur! But i still have my grudge against GM India for discontinuing the old double multispoke alloys.

Abhishek
Thanks, and yes I agree - the multispoked ones look good.
Old 8th July 2011, 19:52   #12
Senior - BHPian

What is the OTR price in PUNE after discounts ?
How much discount did you get ?
Very nice color. Loved it.
Congratulations Keyur. Where do you live in PUNE ? Do join us in the PUNE team bhp meets.

Last edited by F150 : 8th July 2011 at 19:56.
Old 8th July 2011, 20:03   #13
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on buying a beauty. I have always loved this come the moment it was launched. Please do keep updating this thread with your experience with this beauty.
Old 8th July 2011, 20:11   #14
Senior - BHPian

Hi Keyur, First of all congratulations for your Chevrolet Optra. Nice comprehensive review. In spite of being quite old this car still has many takers due to obvious reasons. It's a VFM fantastic car at this price range. When I bought my ANHC, Optra was on my dad's shopping list. But as this car is due for replacement for long time we backed off.

Please post some high resolution snaps of your car as these snaps are too small. Also please post some interior and engine bay pics as well.

Wishing you happy and safe driving.

Last edited by bluevolt : 8th July 2011 at 20:20.
Old 8th July 2011, 20:11   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revintup View Post
Can you please post the otr,discounts etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
What is the OTR price in PUNE after discounts ? Very nice color. Loved it.
The OTR after discounts for the Optra LS TCDI is around Rs.930000.
For me this included the Mudflaps, Floormats, Window filming, a "I love Chevy" teddy, Car cover, Box of tissues, One box of chocolates, One coconut, One garland, One lace decoration set, One box of mithai !!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks