Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2011, 20:16   #16
BHPian

re: The Grey Torqedo - My Chevy Optra Magnum 2.0 TCDI. 5k &10k KM Services (Pg 14 & 18)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Hi Keyur, First of all congratulations for your Chevrolet Optra. Nice comprehensive review. In spite of being quite old this car still has many takers due to obvious reasons. It's a VFM fantastic car at this price range. When I bought my ANHC, Optra was on my dad's shopping list. But as this car is due for replacement for ling time we backed off.
Thanks blue. And the sales seem to have picked up. I don't think this car is going out atleast in the near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Please post some high resolution snaps of your car as these snaps are too small. Also please post some interior and engine bay pics as well.
Will do that soon. Need some time alone with my Maggy and my Nikon!
Old 8th July 2011, 20:36   #17
Team-BHP Support

re: The Grey Torqedo - My Chevy Optra Magnum 2.0 TCDI. 5k &10k KM Services (Pg 14 & 18)

Hey, congratulations on the Optra! The sand grey colour seems to be a hit these days.

2 suggestions, hope you don't mind -

1) 210 km/hr on the Expressway; the speed is your discretion but please, don't even think about taking pictures and so on. I don't think there are many on T-BHP who'll congratulate/commend you for that. Safety issues.

2) Since you do travel at these speeds, do consider ABS/Airbags (this is following your statement saying you don't need ABS).

Needless to say, some interior pics please.

Have a wonderful time with your Maggy.

PS : Someone on the forum has already named his ride "Maggy" so be careful
PPS : I've a Corsa which I get serviced at Chevy A.S.S.; have a good experience so far so don't worry about GM A.S.S.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 8th July 2011 at 20:50.
Old 8th July 2011, 20:40   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyur View Post
Will do that soon. Need some time alone with my Maggy and my Nikon!
Soon, please!!

Well written (from the heart) buying experience. Congratulations! Optra is one of my favourite cars, and I was trying to push my Sis & her husband to go for it, but they felt that it is a little long in the tooth (internally, esp dash-design)

Word of caution, though. Chevy 3 year promise is an awesome deal, but please Ensure that you push the service personnel (escalate when necessary) to fix each issue you report (hopefully there will be none).

In my experience, Chevy service is average. Not poor, but not great either. Note that I have a Spark (2y10m & 49k kms), which is as far as one can get in the opposite direction from the Optra while staying within Chevy India's product range, so this may be irrelevant.

Wish you many kms of joy!

Last edited by VeluM : 8th July 2011 at 20:44.
Old 8th July 2011, 21:00   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByDesign View Post
Did you experience any problems with the fuel tank lid?
I did not face any problems. Its just that when I went to get my car after the first assurance checkup, the service engineer realized that the lid was open and saw that the locking clip had fallen in. He took about 15-20 mins to fix it (literally with Fix-It or Fevi Kwik).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByDesign View Post
Please do not try and take photos at such high speeds! This is terribly unsafe and not just for you either.
He, he. That's my wife's job who normally rides shotgun.
There is this pic of my swift vxi hitting 175, clicked by my wife when we were traveling from Pune to the Mumbai airport for our honeymoon
I will post it if I find it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Hey, congratulations on the Optra! The sand grey colour seems to be a hit these days.
Thanks. The colour really looks good, and gives different effects in differnet lighting.

Quote:
2 suggestions, hope you don't mind -

1) 210 km/hr on the Expressway; the speed is your discretion but please, don't even think about taking pictures and so on. I don't think there are many on T-BHP who'll congratulate/commend you for that. Safety issues.

2) Since you do travel at these speeds, do consider ABS/Airbags (this is following your statement saying you don't need ABS).
No, I am not the kind of a guy who minds constructive crit. Your points are valid and well taken.
I don't drive at 210, just needed to see how far I could push it - once (and maybe once more for the pic . And the car pulls so effortlessly that you don't realize when it touches 180-90.
By the way, I have tried braking at these speeds and the disks perform well, and so do the tyres - without the ABS!

But point taken - no risky driving !

Quote:
PS : Someone on the forum has already named his ride "Maggy" so be careful
Hmm.. copyright infringement issue.. let's wait for him to raise an issue and then .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
@Bansal -

1) Resale, hell people start thinking of the resale even before look at the pricing.
Truly said Torq!
Heck it's like planning your divorce settlement when you are looking at prospective brides

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post

.....so this may be irrelevant.

Wish you many kms of joy!
Nothing is irrelevant my friend, and honest opinions never are!
Thanks

Last edited by Technocrat : 8th July 2011 at 23:02. Reason: Please use multiquote option instead of creating back to back posts, thanks
keyur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2011, 22:50   #20
BHPian

Quote:

Bansal, TBHP rules say that you should do your research before posting comments. All you need to do is click on my name and you will see that my occupation is Software Architect. I don't think that would connect me with GM in any ways. You may also check my intro if you are so interested in my profile

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/introd...-inducted.html

By the way, i also like the Android over the iPhone, Linux over Windows, Casuals over Formals and so on. That does not make me an employee of Google, Redhat or Levi's for that matter!

In analogy, if my bashing the Vento and going pro Optra makes me a potential GM employee, does it mean that with your pro Vento comments you are with Volkswagen? There seems to be some seriously flawed logic here.
You low post count (4) and the way you were gushing about this car and bashing other cars made me suspicious. Now that you have cleared it up, I apologize.

Optra is a great car. I had almost purchased it but the rumors of its imminent demise and other financial considerations held me back. I still might buy it if I don't buy Vento.
Old 8th July 2011, 22:57   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansal98 View Post
You low post count (4) and the way you were gushing about this car and bashing other cars made me suspicious. Now that you have cleared it up, I apologize.

Optra is a great car. I had almost purchased it but the rumors of its imminent demise and other financial considerations held me back. I still might buy it if I don't buy Vento.
No sweat Bansal.
And I hope that you get the Optra if it is between the Optra and the Vento. And again, this not because I am anti-Vento or something, it's just because you will be paying the same or more amount of money and not getting the value for it.
And as far as my knowledge goes, Optra is not going out in the near future.
Old 9th July 2011, 15:45   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
Many a Congratulations, Keyur for owning this beast

PS: there is a lot of similarity in our case, planning to graduate from Swift P to Optra.
Hey Torq, I realized while reading your other post that you are planning to get the Optra. Till now I was under the impression that you already owned an Optra, the way you defended and praised it.

Glad to see a die hard Optra fan. Join the club soon! And if you need any updates, reports, pics, tests etc, get in touch with me. I would be glad to help!
Old 9th July 2011, 16:34   #23
BHPian

I had a funny experience just sometime back and thought I should share it!

Since I got the Optra, my Swift (petrol) is with my wife. I have hardly driven the swift for a month now, as the Optra turned out to be much better, both in the driving and the economy section!

Today, I had to go out for an errand, and the Optra was blocked in the parking by some other car. So, I got into the Swift instead. As usual, the Swift started at the first crank. I put the car in gear, tapped the accelerator and started letting go of the clutch, expecting the car to go ahead as usual.
But what the heck, the car just stood there - no movement. I thought maybe the gear hadn't engaged, so I re-slotted the gear, did the whole thing all over again, still no movement.

Now I got a bit apprehensive and asked my wife (sitting beside me) if she was facing any issues with the Swift. But she had no problems. So I tried again, and ..... the same freaking thing ... the vehicle wouldn't move.
My wife was laughing, so I asked her to drive. She got in, started the vehicle, slotted the gear, and what!! the vehicle started moving (and she was laughing even more). In my mind, I was telling my Swift, "You bloody traitor, after 5 years of great driving, this is what you do to me... respond to my wife, and leave me in the ditch!!"

I couldn't bear it, so I asked my wife to stop the vehicle and I got behind the wheel again. This time, I released the clutch a bit more, hit the gas a little harder and the vehicle did start moving, but it felt sluggish!

And then it hit me! It was the Optra experience. I had faced the exact antithesis of this when I had newly started on the Optra. But after getting used to the Optra, the Swift (which I found very peppy and responsive earlier) started feeling sluggish!

I love both my cars. The Swift has been a faithful companion on many a journey, never letting me down. The Optra is the new baby, all feisty and ready to dance at the tap of the accelerator, and I hope she lives up to her name!

Last edited by keyur : 9th July 2011 at 16:54. Reason: typo
keyur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2011, 18:48   #24
Senior - BHPian

Keyur, Congrats on getting this wonderful car and pointing me to the link. You seem to have fallen in love with this beast! Totally relate to the feeling, as it only took a couple of minutes of driving this one and my heart fell for it too. Was to pick it up ages ago, but for some unexpected changes.

Loved your spirited writeup. Talks of your passion for this car. It really is a much more comfortable and practical version of the Cruze. As I have said many times on this forum, it really is from a segment higher than the cars it is competing with on price. And it is a car so strong on it's basics - ergonomic seating, plush cabin, brilliant ride, good handling (given the soft ride), huge torque, a very composed feeling at high speeds and I love how fluently it reaches those.

The point I felt that you are so much in love with the car was when you called the boot huge . That was one of the areas where I felt it wasn't too strong, but it was a non-issue for me. Also, this car has so much heart as you too say, that one wants to overlook some smaller issues (not that there are many significant ones). The price then makes it even more appealing.

Given the speeds you are talking about and that you were willing to dish out for a Cruze, am surprised that you didn't opt for the ABS and Airbags (though both have their slight negative aspects as well- questionable though).

Most of the owners on the forum seem to have the LT version. Now since you have the LS and are active too, it would be good if you could point [or ideally show (pictures)] what the differences are. Why I ask this is because LS is not on show or available as a TD vehicle easily.

You also mentioned about a longish waiting period. I thought it was either available off the shelf or with a 7-10 day waiting period (needed for transportation). Comments?

All the very best in enjoying this beast, mate. I too just love this car.
Old 9th July 2011, 21:42   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Keyur, Congrats on getting this wonderful car and pointing me to the link. You seem to have fallen in love with this beast! Totally relate to the feeling, as it only took a couple of minutes of driving this one and my heart fell for it too.
Thanks man! The car has that effect!

Quote:
Was to pick it up ages ago, but for some unexpected changes.
So did you pick up something else, or pushed the plans for later?

Quote:
It really is a much more comfortable and practical version of the Cruze. As I have said many times on this forum, it really is from a segment higher than the cars it is competing with on price.
Well said. Unfortunately many do not understand that! They feel that it falls into the lower segment

Quote:
The point I felt that you are so much in love with the car was when you called the boot huge .
Dude, you need to understand that I am coming from the Swift - so anything is huge!

Quote:
Given the speeds you are talking about and that you were willing to dish out for a Cruze, am surprised that you didn't opt for the ABS and Airbags
I don't know, but for some reason I am against ABS. I did that while purchasing the swift. During my Cruze TD, I asked the guy if they have a non-ABS version.
The occasional roll or the drift does feel good.
Also, the 210 was for the purpose of touching the limit - to see how far it can go! I have reached 190 without too much effort, and tend to do it atleast once per drive, but I average at about 120-140. So it is not as risky or rash as I seem to have made it sound!

Quote:
Most of the owners on the forum seem to have the LT version. Now since you have the LS and are active too, it would be good if you could point [or ideally show (pictures)] what the differences are. Why I ask this is because LS is not on show or available as a TD vehicle easily.
I will try to see if I can get a LT side by side and then post the pics. If not, i will post my car's pics anyways!

Quote:
You also mentioned about a longish waiting period. I thought it was either available off the shelf or with a 7-10 day waiting period (needed for transportation). Comments?
Maybe the demand has spiked up beyond their anticipation and hence the delay. I do not know, but I will try to find out. But in Pune (all 4 showrooms), and Mumbai (2-3 places I enquired) there wasn't even 1 car available for ready delivery. If there is one off the shelf, check the VIN and see that it's not an older one.
Old 10th July 2011, 00:49   #26
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the 2L Oil burner.

I own a Beat and a now a Vento as well.
As a Beat owner all I can say is the service of GM has improved immensely. The workshops are highly capable and the service guys looked all right.

I had driven Optra a few years back It was an exceptional car. Power, space, Features (of the current time). It had it all.
However there were 3 main issues on not buying the OPTRA
1) The dated design was not to my taste,
2) Vento's Handling felt considerably better
3) We did not want a second Chevy. We wanted something else for a change. A brand may be.

About the engine, there is no point comparing it with Vento.
Both are different. The GM provides an earth shattering 320Nm (i suppose) where as the Vento delivers a respectable 250Nm. Yes the Vento does not have the lag which is a boon in city and as per the review it goes till 5000.
The Optra performed best in 2000-4000 RPM. A lag before that and power tapering off post 4000. But the 2000-4000 range is atleast 2X better.

Still I dont know why this car did not put the sales chart on fire. It is not the A.S.S for sure. Look at the sales of CRUZE.

Last edited by oxyzen : 10th July 2011 at 00:53.
Old 10th July 2011, 01:34   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post

Still I dont know why this car did not put the sales chart on fire. It is not the A.S.S for sure. Look at the sales of CRUZE.
Wrong pricing at the wrong time I suppose! It came in when people were not ready or did not have that kind of money, not to mention the recession at the time it would have been in its prime!
And now, there are too many cars, too many choices and the general conception that a car that has been in the market for a long time isn't the best to buy, even if it offers much better value!

Also, my purchase of the Optra was not only for what it does (what it does is no doubt astounding), but what it can become with the planned mods!
Old 10th July 2011, 03:00   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will try to see if I can get a LT side by side and then post the pics. If not, i will post my car's pics anyways!
That may be too much effort mate. If you could just write about the differences in the current models with pics from your own LS, it should suffice. There are many pics of LT on the forum. Thanks

Quote:
Maybe the demand has spiked up beyond their anticipation and hence the delay. I do not know, but I will try to find out. But in Pune (all 4 showrooms), and Mumbai (2-3 places I enquired) there wasn't even 1 car available for ready delivery. If there is one off the shelf, check the VIN and see that it's not an older one.
Wow! Since GM doesn't seem to be making any effort to market this car, maybe all the praise people on Tbhp are showering on this car is having some effect They should have another category or discount - Team-Bhp Discount!!!

There seemed to be some confusion on the relevant numbers in the VIN no's for Chevy/Optra in the newer lots, to figure out the date of production. @Torquedo seems to have done ample research. If you have an idea about it, it would help the community here.
Old 10th July 2011, 11:48   #29
BHPian

Keyur,

Congrats on your awesome-new-ride. Thoroughly enjoyed reading your buying experience and the review and also your subsequent posts. You do write well.

This is one car which really blows you away. I TDed it at the same time I TDed Altis Diesel, Cruze and Vento and at that price level thought this is the best buy and VFM. The space is huge and the power is addictive. Sadly I am among those for whom the latest gadgets matter and hence held off on making the purchase. Will take a call in few weeks. By then should TD the new Fiesta too.

Please keep updating your experience with the monster. Happy motoring.
Old 10th July 2011, 14:09   #30
BHPian

Well made decision friend !! Optra Magmum was my first love and I have driven several kms since my bro owns one (2009 model, LTVersion). Its sad that I don't own one since my all cash deal allowed me to go upto Manza. But I'm very happy for you; everytime I see Optra, It puts a smile on my face

Most Viewed