Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2011, 14:43   #31
BHPian

re: The Grey Torqedo - My Chevy Optra Magnum 2.0 TCDI. 5k &10k KM Services (Pg 14 & 18)

Its raining Optras on t-bhp. Congrats Keyur and good decision to go with this VFM car.
Few questions - How was your overall experience with Pashankar Auto? Dont they have a service centre at their showroom on Highway?
And whats the Pune OTR difference between LS and LT?
Old 10th July 2011, 22:39   #32
BHPian

re: The Grey Torqedo - My Chevy Optra Magnum 2.0 TCDI. 5k &10k KM Services (Pg 14 & 18)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post

There seemed to be some confusion on the relevant numbers in the VIN no's for Chevy/Optra in the newer lots, to figure out the date of production. @Torquedo seems to have done ample research. If you have an idea about it, it would help the community here.
The VIN is decoded as follows for Chevy vehicles :

The total length is 17
It starts with MA6

VIN (MA6xxxxxBBxxxxxx )

9th character signifies the Month (A=Jan, B=Feb, C=Mar and so on)
10th character signifies the Year (A=2010, B=2011, C=2012, D=2013 and so on)

So the above shown VIN would decode to be a Chevy from Feb 2011 (BB = Feb, 2011)

The other characters may specify the Model etc, but I have no idea about that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
Keyur,

Congrats on your awesome-new-ride. Thoroughly enjoyed reading your buying experience and the review and also your subsequent posts. You do write well.
Thanks, glad you liked it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
Its raining Optras on t-bhp. Congrats Keyur and good decision to go with this VFM car.
Thanks!
Quote:
Few questions - How was your overall experience with Pashankar Auto?
Dont they have a service centre at their showroom on Highway?
Pashankar Auto has their main showroom at Baner/Pashan on the Pune-Bangalore highway. The service center is currently there, and I found the experience at the service center lacking.

But Pashankar also has a branch near Nigdi, near the PCMC area. I bought my car from there and the experience was really good! They are starting the service center as well, so hope that the experience there will be better!
Quote:
And whats the Pune OTR difference between LS and LT?
Somewhere around 90K to 1lakh. Don't remember the exact numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishpr View Post
Well made decision friend !! Optra Magmum was my first love and I have driven several kms since my bro owns one (2009 model, LTVersion). Its sad that I don't own one since my all cash deal allowed me to go upto Manza. But I'm very happy for you; everytime I see Optra, It puts a smile on my face
Thanks Harish! And you do have your bro's Optra, jab dil chahta hai!
keyur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2011, 01:37   #33
BHPian

Had a 120 km road trip with some friends to Sinhagad and Panshet Dam (near Pune) in the Opty (yeah, changed from Maggy to Opty, till I can think of something better )

Here are some pics :

The Grey Torquedo - My Optra Magnum - The Next Level!-dsc_6928.jpg

---

The Grey Torquedo - My Optra Magnum - The Next Level!-dsc_6929.jpg

---

The Grey Torquedo - My Optra Magnum - The Next Level!-dsc_6930.jpg

---

The Grey Torquedo - My Optra Magnum - The Next Level!-dsc_6932.jpg

---

The Grey Torquedo - My Optra Magnum - The Next Level!-dsc_6937.jpg
Old 11th July 2011, 01:59   #34
BHPian

An Optra DIY - Headlamp Change / Replacement with a short comparison

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...headlamps.html
Old 11th July 2011, 02:06   #35
BHPian

FYI
The rear parking sensors seen above in pic 2 and 3 here are the wireless kind (wireless between controller unit and display - wired between sensors and controller).
Found then interesting so ordered them off eBay and fit them in - good weekend activity.

Last edited by keyur : 11th July 2011 at 02:09. Reason: Incorrect pic
Old 11th July 2011, 10:09   #36
BHPian

Congrats, Keyur on the diesel rocket. Will keep a lookout for a grey blur on Pune streets.
Optra Magnum is one of the 'forgotten' options when buying a diesel saloon for about 9 - 10 lakhs. GM doesn't promote it very well. Come to think of it, none of the magazines feature it in a comparo. It is bigger than it's equal price rivals and... that awesome engine! Must be a hoot to drive.
Old 11th July 2011, 11:45   #37
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyur

The total length is 17
It starts with MA6

VIN (MA6xxxxxBBxxxxxx )

So the above shown VIN would decode to be a Chevy from Feb 2011 (BB = Feb, 2011)

Keyur -

Some more insight on the VIN, check this out.

Open the front left hand door of your car, on the right hand side there is a BLACK PLACARD, it will have the VIN inscribed on it and in addition it'll have other details, most importantly, it'll have the month and year of manufacture inscribed, check it out, it'll be BB,CB,DB in your case.

The above said and the VIN on chassis indicates the following:

1) The VIN on the chassis indicates when the chassis was manufactured in the plant.

2) The Black Placard indicates when the engine was assembled in the plant, as in the engine and other items were put in place on the chassis.

So, basically VIN with BB on the chassis and DB on the placard is indicative that chassis was manufactured in Feb and the engine assembled in April.

HTH ALL.

Happy Motoring !!
Old 11th July 2011, 15:06   #38
BHPian

Hey Keyur... hartiest congratulations and welcome to the Optra Magnum family. I for one love your first post man. Lots of passion and love and this car deserves all of it. I got one earlier this year too. Except for the 210kmph, i could echo all of your thoughts.

You got me ROFL when i read " or an irritating voice telling me that I have "now opened the door" or an automatic Butt Wipe for that matter. I want a car that has heart, and if you are the kind of person who buys a car based on the features just mentioned, well good luck - you can get your Ventos and Citys - this is for the real boys!"

Enjoy the beast with loads of passion, lots of guts (to push the rocket) and loads of love.

I read your thread on the headlamp upgrade. Do i understand it right that the Philips Extreme Vision does not need any cut out or relay? Is it plug and play?
Old 11th July 2011, 16:05   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyur View Post
Had a 120 km road trip with some friends to Sinhagad and Panshet Dam (near Pune) in the Opty (yeah, changed from Maggy to Opty, till I can think of something better )
Congrats on bringing home the original rocket, keyur! I wish you many a safe mile together

When did you go to Panshet? I was at Panshet on Saturday afternoon too. There was hardly a soul there; it seems like the pics are from Khadakwasla backwaters?
Old 11th July 2011, 17:59   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The total length is 17
It starts with MA6

VIN (MA6xxxxxBBxxxxxx )

Thanks Keyur,
There was this thread which talked about VIN no decoding [link ] It also mentions how the letter "I" is not taken into consideration (check the linky)

Torquedo seems to have checked out a few VIN no's and there seemed to be some confusion [ link ] as most recent Optras on the forum seemed to have BB at the 9th and 10th character). As he explains below, there seems to be another explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
Keyur -

Some more insight on the VIN, check this out.

Open the front left hand door of your car, on the right hand side there is a BLACK PLACARD, it will have the VIN inscribed on it and in addition it'll have other details, most importantly, it'll have the month and year of manufacture inscribed, check it out, it'll be BB,CB,DB in your case.

The above said and the VIN on chassis indicates the following:

1) The VIN on the chassis indicates when the chassis was manufactured in the plant.

2) The Black Placard indicates when the engine was assembled in the plant, as in the engine and other items were put in place on the chassis.

So, basically VIN with BB on the chassis and DB on the placard is indicative that chassis was manufactured in Feb and the engine assembled in April.

HTH ALL.

Happy Motoring !!
You seem to have found some inroads, Torquedo
So now it seems that we have 3 nos. - one indicating the date the chassis was manufactured, the date the engine was installed into the chassis and one with the engine number. Wonder which ones would be relevant for the Registration and Insurance.
Old 11th July 2011, 22:41   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Congrats on bringing home the original rocket, keyur! I wish you many a safe mile together

When did you go to Panshet? I was at Panshet on Saturday afternoon too. There was hardly a soul there; it seems like the pics are from Khadakwasla backwaters?
Thanks! I was at Panshet on Sunday. Sinhagad entry had been closed due to rains/traffic. And yes, the pics are from the Khadak back waters - on the way to Panshet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by visweshkalambur View Post
Hey Keyur... hartiest congratulations and welcome to the Optra Magnum family. I for one love your first post man. Lots of passion and love and this car deserves all of it. I got one earlier this year too. Except for the 210kmph, i could echo all of your thoughts.
Thanks! And the 210 was a 1 time thing. I have not been able to do it again, though I tried. All conditions need to be perfect to do it - straight empty road, no incline, stupidity - when all these are present, you do this

Quote:
Originally Posted by visweshkalambur View Post
I read your thread on the headlamp upgrade. Do i understand it right that the Philips Extreme Vision does not need any cut out or relay? Is it plug and play?
The XV is a 60/55, which means that low beam is at 60W, high beam is at 55 W. (H4 means combined Low and High beam in single lamp)
As long as you use the same rated power, you do not need a relay.

So the XV does not need a relay for the Optra. Any 100/90 will require a relay.

Last edited by keyur : 11th July 2011 at 22:44. Reason: multiquote
Old 12th July 2011, 06:35   #42
BHPian

Quote:

Pashankar Auto has their main showroom at Baner/Pashan on the Pune-Bangalore highway. The service center is currently there, and I found the experience at the service center lacking.

But Pashankar also has a branch near Nigdi, near the PCMC area. I bought my car from there and the experience was really good! They are starting the service center as well, so hope that the experience there will be better!

My only experience was with the highway showroom and it was bad. I had called them up for a Optra TD but never got a call back or a TD.

210kmph - wont that impact the engine during run-in period?
Old 12th July 2011, 09:29   #43
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive
So now it seems that we have 3 nos. - one indicating the date the chassis was manufactured, the date the engine was installed into the chassis and one with the engine number. Wonder which ones would be relevant for the Registration and Insurance.
Pardon me Poitive but I have 2 numbers in store

1) On the Chassis - Indicating when the chassis was manufactured.

2) On the Placard - Indicating when the engine and other stuff was put on the Chassis as in the when the car was completely assembled.

Mate, do you have an insight on the engine number and stuff?

I guess (my assumption) the Reg and Insurance would carry the placard date, my big time hunch though.
Old 12th July 2011, 16:17   #44
BHPian

Quote:
My only experience was with the highway showroom and it was bad. I had called them up for a Optra TD but never got a call back or a TD.

210kmph - wont that impact the engine during run-in period?
This is just to help you, but is in no ways an advertisement. You may try contacting Mr. Rohan on +91 9970006370 if you need a test drive.

With the new engines, the run-in or correctly, the break-in is not an issue. Anyways, for the first 2000 km, I didn't push it. Also, the acceleration was gradual, no rash driving, no unnecessary revving.
The run in, (I feel) is more for your safety, to ensure that you get accustomed to the car and the way it behaves, before you start driving at high speeds.

Normally, the break-in was to ensure that the engine parts wear in evenly. But with the new engines, they are all broken-in in the factory itself. So, ideally, for the first 1000 km, you can be a little careful.

And as a rule, never mistreat your vehicle - be it for the break-in period or later. Hitting speeds of 200 does not mean that I am causing issues to the vehicle. Feel the vehicle - if you feel that she is getting stressed out, give her some space - simple!
Old 12th July 2011, 16:24   #45
BHPian

Here is an excerpt that I had from some site that I have stored in my collection : (Sorry, can't give due credits as I don't remember the source)

Breaking-In a New Car

Most manufacturers have recommendations in the handbooks.
Basically you start off treating the engine very gently i.e. gentle revs and never more than 1/4 throttle. Over time you gradually use more revs and more throttle until you eventually end up using the full range of the engine. It is important to eventually end up using all the power and rev range to wear harden various parts. It is also important that you do not keep to a single continuous speed or gear but vary your speed quite a bit during this time (a long highway journey is NOT a good break in if you just sit in top gear at a continuous speed). This is because things are still hardening up and you can wear a groove into them.
Modern engines break in relatively quickly, often 1000km, older designs took longer as the tolerances were not as precise. The first oil change is often a lot sooner than later ones as during break in rough edges from manufacturing will be worn off and end up in the oil.
Here is more advice from various contributors:
  • Drive it gently. General rule is not to exceed 3000 - 3500 rpm. for the first 500 miles. It is also a good idea to be kind to it for the first 2000 miles.
  • "Breaking in" your cars engine is an old myth, it is also bull. Rule #1 if you want your engine to last a long time, treat it gentle all the time, not just for the first 1000km.
  • Break in is important. All engine bearings and cylinders, etc. must wear evenly and proper. Also, piston rings need to seat. Have you ever seen a new engine burn oil until it breaks in? Some piston ring take up to 5000 miles to fully seat or wear evenly to cylinder bore. Not following proper break in procedures could result in premature engine/parts failure.
  • This depends whether you purchase or lease a car. With a purchase you should break a car in for the reasons and using the methods described before, ignoring the one comment about it being bull. If the vehicle is a lease you may skip the break-in period if you so wish. Since not breaking-in a car may result in improper wear of parts, or even engine failure, during the warranty period it will be covered, and a leased car will be returned to the dealer before the warranty period expires.
  • You shouldn't just break-in your car if you are buying it. Even if you are leasing it you should. Do the next guy a favor. A very inconsiderate answer man. Besides some people lease it and then decide they like it and want to buy it, so I say, you should break it in anyway. No matter what.
  • If you research on how to break-in a new engine on the web, most sites will tell you a procedure to break-in the piston rings (the only thing that matters).
  • The proper way to break in an engine is to drive at 30 mph and accelerate to 50 mph. Do this to break in the engine the proper way. Do this the first 3000 miles or so.
  • Manufactures are making engines with much higher tolerances today. Where cylinder clearances used to be in the thousands of an inch, now its in the ten thousands. Bores are rounder and straighter. There is know reason to baby a newer engine, it will actually hurt. You need cylinder pressure to drive the rings out onto the bore, which actually shaves the bore into a perfect fit. By babying it the rings will only rub and burnish the surface leaving a less then Ideal finish. So ... keep the revs below 4000 the first 300 miles, then drive it ... accelerate with meaning for the next 2500 miles and your all set. This is how all High Performance engines are broken in, and all engines today can be considered a high performance engine since they pull more power out then there predecessors ever did.
  • Most modern car engines are broken in at the factory, before assembly. Therefore the old tradition of breaking in a new car doesn't apply anymore. Just drive as you normally would drive and treat the car the way you would treat anything else of value.

There is also a link here which actually tells you HOW to break-in the engine :
Break In Secrets

Last edited by keyur : 12th July 2011 at 16:25. Reason: format
keyur is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed