Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2011, 23:52   #76
BHPian

re: The Grey Torqedo - My Chevy Optra Magnum 2.0 TCDI. 5k &10k KM Services (Pg 14 & 18)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep_Shri View Post
Dear Keyur:

Many congratulations on your purchase.
Thanks!

Quote:
1. The ratio of the second gear is strange. Even now I manage to stall the car at times. So it takes a bit getting used to. It could be a problem unique to my car or me. Is it? (Before all you ladies and gentlemen go for my jugular, let me clarify that I have been driving for 22 years now and am an 'acceptable' driver now - if you allow a slight exaggeration i.e.)
I faced this issue too. When the beast stalls, it shudders to a stop like a tank! I jumped out of my skin the first time.
But now I am used to it. I drive by the feel, so I nor,ally come to know when the vehicle may stall, and I downshift accordingly. But still, it does happen sometimes!

Quote:
I recently changed to Yokohama C Drives partly guided by advise posted on Team-BHP.
What was the deal you got?

Quote:
Again from experience, whenever you make the transition FROM the Swift TO the Optra, shake your head a few times, take a few deep breaths, remind yourself 17 times (you can pick a higher number) and then gradually let go of the clutch.
I found a better solution - I let my wife drive the Swift!

Quote:
Enjoy your car, drive responsibly. I personally like what Spiderman's dadaji said...with great power comes great responsibility.
Agreed! (Although it was Peter Parker's (Spidey's) Uncle Ben - his father's brother, who adopted Peter)
Old 18th July 2011, 00:35   #77
BHPian

re: The Grey Torqedo - My Chevy Optra Magnum 2.0 TCDI. 5k &10k KM Services (Pg 14 & 18)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyur View Post

What was the deal you got?

Agreed! (Although it was Peter Parker's (Spidey's) Uncle Ben - his father's brother, who adopted Peter)
Rs.4500/- per tire. This includes Rs.200/- less for each of my old tires.

Somehow 'Dadaji' had more force so used that expression. 'Gyaan' suits Dadajis more for some strange reason.
Old 18th July 2011, 10:14   #78
BHPian

Quote:
I don't know, but for some reason I am against ABS. The occasional roll or the drift does feel good.
Also, the 210 was for the purpose of touching the limit - to see how far it can go! I have reached 190 without too much effort, and tend to do it atleast once per drive, but I average at about 120-140. So it is not as risky or rash as I seem to have made it sound!
Hey keyur, I generally do not post until I have something substantive to add to the discussion. But, your review's so from-the-heart and you look so in love with your beast that I'm posting just to say: "Hey, congrats man! Enjoy your ride."

But while I'm at it:

1. Yes, the occasional drift does indeed feel good. "Tokyo Drift" being my cult movie - I do try occasional baby variants of the stunts in the movie and it would be lost if there's an ABS. Sometimes, rawness is very-very appealing. I wish there was an ABS dis-engage button too, in cars

2. Somehow, I am not sure if ABS is important for India. I do touch occasional 170s but I believe (and have no one to back up my claim) that I'm an alert driver. And in my nearly one year of driving experience, I've faced more issues with cars behind me coming un-nervingly close to me rather than me coming very close to someone ahead of me. And in such a case, an ABS won't help me.

And even in those un-divided roads, an ABS won't help me save myself from a speeding TATA 407 coming from the opposite direction - I would have already slowed down in mortal fear of a huge, speeding 407 and the 407 obviously doesn't have ABS.

Last edited by manishk83 : 18th July 2011 at 10:15.
Old 18th July 2011, 17:36   #79
BHPian

Congratulations Keyur, it is indeed a gem of a machine. I own TCDI since 2008 and i must say it is a no nonsense car with ample power which will never let you down" .On service front in Bangalore, I think it is on par with any other brand and with the opening of Kropex, Trident and Frontline, the load at sundaram has been less; which definitely reflect in better cleaning at Sundaram.
I like the bulb upgrade thread a lot, thanks for sharing, hope to go for similar setup soon.
Welcome to club and have miles of happy motoring!
Old 18th July 2011, 17:52   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
A friend of mine got really tempted by an ad from Chevy yesterday in Deccan Chronicle newspaper mentioning the Optra for 8.6L ex-showroom hyderabad.

He was not sure if it was LS or LT but, said the ad mentioned airbags and host of other features.

Could be worthwhile for Hydeez prospective buyers to check it out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
That ad is for LS model. I checked with the showroom folks.
Yes , that is for Diesel LS model. But when i enquired with my very well known source in GM India design center to get some more discount through GM employee. He suggested against it quoting it is going to be phased out soon and the replacement model for China and India is due for release some time soon. They call the replacement sedan as S2 platform.
Old 18th July 2011, 18:57   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishk83 View Post
Hey keyur, I generally do not post until I have something substantive to add to the discussion. But, your review's so from-the-heart and you look so in love with your beast that I'm posting just to say: "Hey, congrats man! Enjoy your ride."
Thanks!

Quote:
I wish there was an ABS dis-engage button too, in cars
You can just pull the ABS fuse!!

Quote:
2. Somehow, I am not sure if ABS is important for India. I do touch occasional 170s but I believe (and have no one to back up my claim) that I'm an alert driver. And in my nearly one year of driving experience, I've faced more issues with cars behind me coming un-nervingly close to me rather than me coming very close to someone ahead of me. And in such a case, an ABS won't help me.

And even in those un-divided roads, an ABS won't help me save myself from a speeding TATA 407 coming from the opposite direction - I would have already slowed down in mortal fear of a huge, speeding 407 and the 407 obviously doesn't have ABS.
I agree to this. I too have never faced issues while braking as I am pretty composed.
Also, I have had some uncomfortable experiences with ABS in a friend's Vento. The braking isn't immediate and the vehicle can be steered even after braking. This goes against my concept / feel of braking. I feel that with ABS activated, you will not skid, but you may definitely end up in another vehicle / object as the vehicle will keep steering!
Old 19th July 2011, 00:02   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_and_machine View Post
I guess the optra has all independent suspensions? How is the drive at high speeds?
The Optra has independent suspension - MacPherson struts, with a anti-roll bar.

The car is stable at high speeds. It brakes efficiently (even without the ABS). The mod has recently deleted a pic at me driving at 190, but it easily reaches those speeds, stays stable and brakes quickly enough.

Due to the soft suspensions, you feel a roll on curves, but once you get used to it, it's ok. You can easily take smooth turns at 120-130.

Last edited by keyur : 19th July 2011 at 00:16.
keyur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2011, 11:22   #83
BANNED

Keyur -

Would be thankful if you may update all the perspective buyers on the stock engine oil specifications provided by GM on the Optra.

Also an insight on the recommended oil change intervals and other stuff.

Thanks Mate.
Old 19th July 2011, 12:04   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
Keyur -

Would be thankful if you may update all the perspective buyers on the stock engine oil specifications provided by GM on the Optra.

Also an insight on the recommended oil change intervals and other stuff.

Thanks Mate.
Torq, I will try to find out what the stock engine oil is. But I am sure it is a standard synthetic oil (don't rem whether it is 5W40 or 15W40).

I am not decided whether I will go with the GM recommended oil or with a mineral oil.

First change at 5000km, thereafter 10000km / 1yr or if engine oil lamp lights up
Old 19th July 2011, 12:26   #85
BANNED

Quote:
Torq, I will try to find out what the stock engine oil is. But I am sure it is a standard synthetic oil (don't rem whether it is 5W40 or 15W40).

I am not decided whether I will go with the GM recommended oil or with a mineral oil.

First change at 5000km, thereafter 10000km / 1yr or if engine oil lamp lights up
As always, thanks for the quick update Keyur.

I assume, it should be 5W40, would be thankful if you may check and confirm.

I would be suggestive of sticking to the synthetic oil if the stock car comes with SO, if the current oil is MO then you might as well stick to MO.

As for my purchase, should be booking before the Independence Day

To add to the VIN thing, I went to the local GM dealer and had a look at the Beat Diesel, it had BB as the 9th and 10th alphabets but the 7th alphabet was F, so we can now safely assume the 7th alphabet to be the manufacturing month for 2011 Chevy cars.

Happy Motoring !!
Old 19th July 2011, 12:44   #86
BHPian

does the stock ICE allow input via a USB stick?
Old 19th July 2011, 14:18   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_and_machine View Post
does the stock ICE allow input via a USB stick?
Nope. Only AUX in. Even the LT does not have USB in, though it has a 6 CD changer (not much use anyways)
Old 19th July 2011, 17:13   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
A

I assume, it should be 5W40, would be thankful if you may check and confirm.
Checked it out. The stock oil and the one recommended by GM for the Optra MD is ELF 15W40. It is a mineral oil not synthetic.

I also asked details about the oil change. I was told that the Captiva and the Cruze have a 5W30 recommened Synthetic oil. I was also told that GM has NOT recommended the 5W40 or the 5W30 for the Optra and it is best to use 15W40.
I was ALSO told not to get the oil change done from any external garage, and atleast in the warranty period, get recommended oil changes done from the authorized service stations. Not doing so could be treated as reason (or excuse) for not covering the engine under warranty!

Anyways, if filling in the ELF 15W40 mineral oil ensures my warranty and GM will take care of any issues that may (pray not) arise to the engine, then I am OK filling in the ELF mineral oil.

Quoted cost for first service : Rs.2400.

As a side note : (From the service station) The Captiva and Cruze have slightly different materials used for the pistons hence the recommended 5W30. It is not required for the Optra specs.

Last edited by keyur : 19th July 2011 at 17:15.
keyur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2011, 17:34   #89
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyur

Quoted cost for first service : Rs.2400.
Thanks Keyur.

Now the first service, I assume is the 5K one, this would include the Oil change and an inspection of the other parts.

Looking at the amount quoted, engine oil should be 1500 odd bucks and other misc. items with the VAT would be close to 2400.

Now this is indicative that the regular 10K service would be in the vicinity of 5-6K odd, humm doesn't sound much but this might just get inflated.

Fellow T-BHPian's with more miles on their beast, request you to please chip in with the average servicing costs and the break up if possible.

Thanks in anticipation.
Old 19th July 2011, 17:38   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Nope. Only AUX in. Even the LT does not have USB in, though it has a 6 CD changer (not much use anyways)
As I guessed :-( . Just a silly clarification CD means the standard 700 MB disc, not a 4.5 GB DVD right?

Most Viewed