Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2011, 10:33   #106
BANNED

re: The Grey Torqedo - My Chevy Optra Magnum 2.0 TCDI. 5k &10k KM Services (Pg 14 & 18)

@Keyur, Sorry to hear about the sad incident.

@Poitive - I have been looking out for a thread that details how to figure out the YY and MM of manufacture for various tyres. Would be thankful if you have the link handy and share the same.

All - Would be thankful if you may please provide pointers to figure the the YYMM of manufacture for tyres.

Thanks in anticipation.

Happy Motoring !!
Old 22nd July 2011, 18:15   #107
BHPian

Update : The service station guys have taken the tyre in. They need to call in the Apollo tyre engineer. That will take a few days. In the meanwhile, I have been given a goodyear as a temporary replacement.
Now the wait starts for judgement day!
Old 22nd July 2011, 21:28   #108
Senior - BHPian

re: The Grey Torqedo - My Chevy Optra Magnum 2.0 TCDI. 5k &10k KM Services (Pg 14 & 18)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
@Poitive - I have been looking out for a thread that details how to figure out the YY and MM of manufacture for various tyres. Would be thankful if you have the link handy and share the same.
Don't have a link to a thread, but Google should be able to do the job. I did have a file with many details, but can't locate it. Seems I lost/misplaced (zipped and forgotten where) it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyur View Post
Update : The service station guys have taken the tyre in. They need to call in the Apollo tyre engineer. That will take a few days. In the meanwhile, I have been given a goodyear as a temporary replacement.
It may be a good pointer to figure out the date of manufacture, Keyur. Given the speeds you talk about, you should also try and ascertain that for ALL the tyres you have. High speeds and questionable tyres really don't go together. Also check on the speed rating on the tyres. GM should have taken care of putting the right spec'ed tyres (wrt speed rating), but checking wouldn't hurt.

In case they actually are old or of improper rating, you may be taking too much risk - with the life of people in the car and outside it.

Hope things get sorted out well.
Old 23rd July 2011, 00:24   #109
BHPian

Quote:
I sincerely hope there is a simple explanation to what happened. Keep us updated about the discussion with Chevy and Apollo people.
Old 27th July 2011, 23:08   #110
BHPian

Quote:

High maintenance
- The 3 year Chevrolet promise is all about the maintenance cost guarantee. Its a fill it, forget it car. Dont trust me, ask others!

1. Philips XV or Osram Nightbreakers as soon as possible. (Done)
can you please shed some details on the bulbs and the effect?

Quote:
FYI
The rear parking sensors seen above in pic 2 and 3 here are the wireless kind (wireless between controller unit and display - wired between sensors and controller).
Found then interesting so ordered them off eBay and fit them in - good weekend activity.
interesting. can you post the details please and will it cause the warranty to be void?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
CPCO as I understand is: You pay 27-28k (whatever is the going price) at the time of purchase and for 3 years / 40k kms, whichever is earlier, you will not pay anything for maintenance of the car which includes regular servicing, change of oils / filters etc, any minor / major manufacturing flaw / failures / defects. Basically it takes care of everything except accidents / tires / battery. For accidents there is insurance anyway.

For smaller models they are giving this as a freebie but for Magnum they are charging some 27 odd k.
Quote:
I have no idea about the default offer and I visited 2 Chevy showrooms yesterday. Damn. Will re-check when I talk to them again.
Attached below is what i got today
Chevrolet Promise Cashless Ownership Offer - TERMS.doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhanu@DJ View Post
Yes , that is for Diesel LS model. But when i enquired with my very well known source in GM India design center to get some more discount through GM employee. He suggested against it quoting it is going to be phased out soon and the replacement model for China and India is due for release some time soon. They call the replacement sedan as S2 platform.
Does that mean the current optra is being replaced with a new one? What are the details and the time frame? I'm just about to book an LT.
Old 27th July 2011, 23:33   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimist View Post

Attachment 584052

Does that mean the current optra is being replaced with a new one? What are the details and the time frame? I'm just about to book an LT.
Optimist,

1. I got the same document that you posted. See, CPCO means exactly what I wrote earlier. You have zero maintenance offer for 3 years / 45k kms which means even your regular warranty servicing is free but the catch is they give you 6 free servicings which are 6 months / 5k kms. But then once the first 2 services are done, normally you do not need to take the car for servicing for 10k kms whereas under CPCO you have to get it serviced every 6 months or it will lapse. Ask them to show you a CPCO manual, you will understand the deal.

2. Dhanu@DJ talked about Magnum being replaced and did not come back to answer any questions. I got it checked by a mechanic who was at Halol Chevy plant for training couple of weeks ago and he told me that Optra Magnum Diesel sales are on the rise and Chevy does not have any plans of discontinuing this model. You can try and verify this from your own sources. But as far as I am concerned, i am going ahead with the purchase even in the worst care scenario of this model being phased out. I am buying the car for what it is, not thinking whether it is latest or not.
Old 27th July 2011, 23:40   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Check this link. It has all the details.

Quote:
interesting. can you post the details please and will it cause the warranty to be void?
This was bought off eBay. The item is no longer in stock, but I have the details of the guy who supplied it.
The kit comes with 4 sensors, 1 control unit, 1 display unit and 1 drill bit for the holes. There is no wire between the display and the control unit. Sensor to controller is wired and can easily sit in your boot. The display was powered from the front clock supply. The control unit from the taillights. No wires were cut, just exposed the insulation, so technically, no harm done to the warranty! (Verified at the showroom).
It can be easily done by you, and if not, any acc fitter will do it for you.

Quote:
Go ahead and book it - be an optimist .
The Cruze was supposed to be the next thing after the Optra, but the way the sales of picked up, I don't think they are replacing the Optra. No reviews, no test drive sightings - so even if there is a new car, it's a long time off!
keyur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2011, 23:49   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Optimist,

1. <text deleted> Ask them to show you a CPCO manual, you will understand the deal.

2. <text deleted>You can try and verify this from your own sources. But as far as I am concerned, i am going ahead with the purchase even in the worst care scenario of this model being phased out. I am buying the car for what it is, not thinking whether it is latest or not.
Yes will need to sit and thrash out the details with the sales/service.

I anyway need a car real soon and can't sit around the purchase. Have been waiting since march 2nd week for a diesel car waiting for the AHNV and the NFF. AHNV I did a TD but took the bypass on the NFF test drive after being in touch with the dealer every 2nd day. But it will hurt if they upgrade the features without a price increase. Just waiting for 1st Aug to book.
Old 28th July 2011, 00:04   #114
BHPian

Quote:

I anyway need a car real soon and can't sit around the purchase. Have been waiting since march 2nd week for a diesel car waiting for the AHNV and the NFF. AHNV I did a TD but took the bypass on the NFF test drive after being in touch with the dealer every 2nd day. But it will hurt if they upgrade the features without a price increase. Just waiting for 1st Aug to book.
Optimist,

I postponed buying Magnum / Vento because my friend who heads one of the sales divisions of Ford asked me to wait for 3 months before Ford's rocket is launched and few days after NFF's price was announced I spoke to him and he had trouble answering my questions and told me flat out that if I am looking for space, speed and cost then I am better off going for Magnum.

Even I am concerned about me buying a Magnum and then within few weeks / months they launch an upgraded model of the same. I tried my best to ascertain the facts and I have come to a conclusion that chevy is not going to come up with a new model soon.

Now, after I spend close to 11 lakhs and buy this car and THEN a new model is released, well, my philosophy says 'tough luck, get on with your life'. I have done my best to take an informed decision and will not regret it.
Old 28th July 2011, 00:34   #115
BHPian

Quote:
I am buying the car for what it is, not thinking whether it is latest or not.
Quote:

Now, after I spend close to 11 lakhs and buy this car and THEN a new model is released, well, my philosophy says 'tough luck, get on with your life'. I have done my best to take an informed decision and will not regret it.
Well said NoRules, on both counts! The wait never ends, and new things keep coming up.

Quote:

Optimist, the deal is pretty simple :

1. CPCO - pay 31499 upfront, get free servicings and wheel alignments for the next 3 yrs (note the 45000 km limit, which happens to be the same as the 2yr/45000km warranty)

2. Chevrolet Promise - Don't pay a dime now! But if you end up paying more than 31499 in the next 3 years, (just save all the bills), you will get the extra amount refunded.

Comparison : For CPCO, you are paying 31499 upfront. The actual servicing costs may come upto around 6000 per year (figures from friends who own magnums since abt 2 yrs). If all goes well (you are the optimist), you will have to pay only about 20000 in 3 years for servicing (so if you have taken CPCO, the rest is wasted)
If you don't take CPCO, you save the 31499 upfront. And you pay only what you incur at the servicings. And if something goes wrong and you have to spend more, well, as per the Chevy Promise, anything above 31499 will be refunded!

So in either case, you do not pay more than 31499 - but without CPCO, you have a chance to pay LESS than 31499.

Also about the ANHV, check this post and do update it with your comments on the test drive experience.
keyur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2011, 16:22   #116
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 584052

Quote:
Optimist,

1. I got the same document that you posted. See, CPCO means exactly what I wrote earlier. You have zero maintenance offer for 3 years / 45k kms which means even your regular warranty servicing is free but the catch is they give you 6 free servicings which are 6 months / 5k kms. But then once the first 2 services are done, normally you do not need to take the car for servicing for 10k kms whereas under CPCO you have to get it serviced every 6 months or it will lapse. Ask them to show you a CPCO manual, you will understand the deal.

2. Dhanu@DJ talked about Magnum being replaced and did not come back to answer any questions. I got it checked by a mechanic who was at Halol Chevy plant for training couple of weeks ago and he told me that Optra Magnum Diesel sales are on the rise and Chevy does not have any plans of discontinuing this model. You can try and verify this from your own sources. But as far as I am concerned, i am going ahead with the purchase even in the worst care scenario of this model being phased out. I am buying the car for what it is, not thinking whether it is latest or not.
The design and interior's work for Aveo, U-VA and Optra are done @ the GMTC centre in Bangalore. The newer replacements would be shown at the Auto expo in Jan 2012. Will be mostly be replacing the existing models some time in the first quarter of 2012. The engines will be 1.4 and 1.6 liter engines that are under evaluation. The GMTC team had a delay of couple months pushing the replacements into 2012 instead of the earlier planned August 11 showcase.

Quote:
Check this link. It has all the details.

This was bought off eBay. The item is no longer in stock, but I have the details of the guy who supplied it.
The kit comes with 4 sensors, 1 control unit, 1 display unit and 1 drill bit for the holes. There is no wire between the display and the control unit. Sensor to controller is wired and can easily sit in your boot. The display was powered from the front clock supply. The control unit from the taillights. No wires were cut, just exposed the insulation, so technically, no harm done to the warranty! (Verified at the showroom).
It can be easily done by you, and if not, any acc fitter will do it for you.

Go ahead and book it - be an optimist .
The Cruze was supposed to be the next thing after the Optra, but the way the sales of picked up, I don't think they are replacing the Optra. No reviews, no test drive sightings - so even if there is a new car, it's a long time off!
Newer models are due for 2012.
Old 28th July 2011, 16:37   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Will be mostly be replacing the existing models some time in the first quarter of 2012. The engines will be 1.4 and 1.6 liter engines that are under evaluation.

If this is the case, I am overjoyed! I am glad I got the 2.0 litre beast just in time before the neutered version (1.6L) comes out!
Old 28th July 2011, 17:05   #118
BANNED

Hi Keyur,

Any updates on the tyre?

I showed the pics to a couple of my friends, one of whom works at a higher level in a reputed tyre company (requested anonymity). They both have the same observations. The tyre definitely does not seem to have an external impact. The profile of the cut on the side wall suggests that the tyre got pinched post deflation, and the marks on the tyre tread justify the same.

My friend from the tyre company also told me that the case will go to
Apollo, and as a standard practice, the first attempt will be to push the
responsibility and blame to you, on the pretext that it is a side wall
damage and hence your fault. Do not agree to that and insist on a
replacement - Apollo owes that to you - be thankful that the car was stable even in this scenario, or it could have been fatal. There is no way that the side wall of a good tyre can get weakened in this way in such a short period of time especially as there are no other punctures!

More on this, we (I guess everyone on the forum) have been driving for a while now, even with hard cornering and other odd stuff, the tyre cannot go bust.

Strange part that I further see is, how come they can claim that the side wall of the tyre was impacted by you and there have been no external damages to the car??

Happy Motoring !!
Torquedo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2011, 17:18   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
Hi Keyur,

Any updates on the tyre?

I showed the pics to a couple of my friends, one of whom works at a higher level in a reputed tyre company (requested anonymity). They both have the same observations. The tyre definitely does not seem to have an external impact. The profile of the cut on the side wall suggests that the tyre got pinched post deflation, and the marks on the tyre tread justify the same.

My friend from the tyre company also told me that the case will go to
Apollo, and as a standard practice, the first attempt will be to push the
responsibility and blame to you, on the pretext that it is a side wall
damage and hence your fault. Do not agree to that and insist on a
replacement - Apollo owes that to you - be thankful that the car was stable even in this scenario, or it could have been fatal. There is no way that the side wall of a good tyre can get weakened in this way in such a short period of time especially as there are no other punctures!

More on this, we (I guess everyone on the forum) have been driving for a while now, even with hard cornering and other odd stuff, the tyre cannot go bust.

Strange part that I further see is, how come they can claim that the side wall of the tyre was impacted by you and there have been no external damages to the car??

Happy Motoring !!
Thanks for that Torq. Will forward this post to the Apollo guys as well!
Old 28th July 2011, 17:24   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The design and interior's work for Aveo, U-VA and Optra are done @ the GMTC centre in Bangalore. The newer replacements would be shown at the Auto expo in Jan 2012. Will be mostly be replacing the existing models some time in the first quarter of 2012. The engines will be 1.4 and 1.6 liter engines that are under evaluation. The GMTC team had a delay of couple months pushing the replacements into 2012 instead of the earlier planned August 11 showcase.

This sounds more like a Uva-Aveo/Sail with 1.6 engines et all. It is already known that the Aveo is getting replaced.

More when I am on the comp.

Most Viewed