Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2011, 23:57   #166
Senior - BHPian

re: The Grey Torqedo - My Chevy Optra Magnum 2.0 TCDI. 5k &10k KM Services (Pg 14 & 18)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
BTW, all ye Optra Magnum Diesel lovers, I have got the delivery of my Sandrift Grey Beast last Saturday. Did over 230 kms in 3 days including a longish drive of 120 kms today. Will be posting my ownership report soon.

Thanks Keyur for all the help. And ofcourse Poitive for his Spacious Diesel thread and advice. Several others helped with their experiences and discussions. I am certainly a happy bloke. More details in the ownership thread soon.
Congrats NoRules!!
I bet, you'd be loving it.

I too bought it and started an ownership report.
Just noticed that it was moved to the Assembly line section, right after @Keyur's post! More when your (or my) ownership report is public.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyur View Post
GM happy or not, I am definitely happy.
Actually, I used to fill the tank up right till the brim. Dad filled it only till the autostop (both times - before and after the trip). Maybe that made a difference.
Filling upto the brim usually results in fuel spilling out, so that should affect readings.

Not filling upto the brim leads to a difference in the level at which auto-cut comes into action. It really needs a few tank full's on auto-cut to get a more real figure.

Quote:
The company recommendation is 28. I had experimented from 28 till 31 and found 29 to be decent enough. So now I maintain it at 29.
I presume you would be using your gauge to check the 'cold tyre pressure' before using the car for the day. Even taking the car to a fuel pump 2kms away can result in a difference of 2psi or more.

Quote:
It's the first servicing and they will not just change the oil. Need to get the whole job done.
The GM guys strongly advise you to not change even the oil from any other service station (or by yourself) in the warranty period.
1. I said the 'least'.

2. Getting the whole thing done would be even better. I am weary of getting the car touched just before a trip.

3. If it wasn't the first oil change of the car, would probably have suggested you to go for the trip. Given the running in - I really do NOT recommend you to use it further before an oil change. Rather it may be a better idea for you to get it changed a bit in advance, given your high speed running in.

4. It is preferable to be there when the oil is changed. As they say, see it with 'your own eyes' (as if one could borrow eyes!)

Quote:
I am travelling on Friday, so do not have much time in advance. Probably Wednesday or Thursday.
In that case, just get the oil and filter change and get the rest done later, but ensure how the delay may affect your warranty, if at all.

Last edited by Poitive : 15th August 2011 at 23:59. Reason: typo
Old 16th August 2011, 00:12   #167
BHPian

re: The Grey Torqedo - My Chevy Optra Magnum 2.0 TCDI. 5k &10k KM Services (Pg 14 & 18)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
If it's me, I will do the servicing & take it for the long drive.
That's something that I would have preferred too. Normally, I do these things myself before a trip - it's like grooming your horse before a ride - let your vehicle know that you care!
Unfortunately,
a. The vehicle is in warranty and even an oil change outside the service station is not recommended.
b. I would be leaving the very next day after service, so am a bit worried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Filling upto the brim usually results in fuel spilling out, so that should affect readings.

It really needs a few tank full's on auto-cut to get a more real figure.
I fill up at the same outlet, same pump, around the same time (10-11 am) and ensure that even the nozzle is the same, and is put in to the exact same depth (do i sound crazy - well maybe I do ). This is to reduce the variables while getting the reading. I had instructed the same thing to my dad too (I still remember the look he gave me after I finished my instructions).

Quote:
I presume you would be using your gauge to check the 'cold tyre pressure' before using the car for the day.
Yup!

Quote:
In that case, just get the oil and filter change and get the rest done later, but ensure how the delay may affect your warranty, if at all.
Have already discussed this option - and it is a non-option! The service station will do the ENTIRE job for the scheduled servicings! It's their way or the highway! (no issues there, as long as the car is taken care of)

And yes, you bet your and my (whatever part you can think of) that I would be standing there right beside the car when it is getting serviced! (Already taken all the permissions)
Old 16th August 2011, 00:19   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have already discussed this option - and it is a non-option! The service station will do the ENTIRE job for the scheduled servicings! It's their way or the highway! (no issues there, as long as the car is taken care of)
I'd still prefer to get the whole thing done before the trip and as soon as possible. Then to use the car for a fair distance before the trip. The main thing being to not use a new car with dirty oil beyond recommendations. The pistons rings would be a bit tighter. Even more important for a diesel engine.
Old 16th August 2011, 00:20   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That's something that I would have preferred too. Normally, I do these things myself before a trip - it's like grooming your horse before a ride - let your vehicle know that you care!
Could not have been said better !

Quote:
a. The vehicle is in warranty and even an oil change outside the service station is not recommended.
b. I would be leaving the very next day after service, so am a bit worried.
What all jobs are required on this service? I assume there is not much to do since this is the first / second service.

If they have a pick & drop service & you are comfortable with, please make use of it & get it serviced 2-3 days before the trip.

I would not worry about the 1 day gap after service, but will leave it to you!

Another option is to find a dealer in your destination ? Or is it what you mentioned that warranty will get void? I assume warranty should be in tact since its a company thing & any authorized Chevy A$$ should be OK. Or don't you have an extra day in between to send the car for service in the place where you are traveling to ?

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 16th August 2011 at 00:23.
Old 16th August 2011, 01:01   #170
BHPian

Quote:
I would not worry about the 1 day gap after service, but will leave it to you!
I am not worried about the one day. I am worried that there is only one day to check and see if anything is wrong with the car in any way AFTER the service - just in case they forgot to tighten a nut or two

Quote:
Another option is to find a dealer in your destination ? Or is it what you mentioned that warranty will get void?
That's a no no! I would prefer to have a local service station do the regular servicings - outside service stations only for emergencies.

Quote:
I'd still prefer to get the whole thing done before the trip and as soon as possible. Then to use the car for a fair distance before the trip.
That's what even I would have preferred, but unfortunately there is no time to use the car for a fair distance before the trip. The original plan was to finish the 5000 km before the trip. Will be doing another 300 tomorrow (rather later today), but that would get it to just near 5000!
Old 16th August 2011, 01:17   #171
Senior - BHPian

[quote=keyur;2468723
That's what even I would have preferred, but unfortunately there is no time to use the car for a fair distance before the trip. The original plan was to finish the 5000 km before the trip. Will be doing another 300 tomorrow (rather later today), but that would get it to just near 5000![/quote]

If you do the service Before - Risk:
* The car is tampered in some way (water getting into some wrong place or something) - It may give you some issues on the way

This used to be quite likely in the old cars. Should not be a big concern in today's cars.

If you do the service Later - Risk:
* You have minor (likely to be unnoticeable) damage to the engine. May affect long term life of the car.

Choose your risk, based on where you are traveling to etc and if you can take a tiny risk of some niggles.

Another thing to consider. 'Informally' try to get the washing done after the trip. Will reduce water related issues.
Old 16th August 2011, 04:48   #172
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Complete your trip and then get it serviced. No technical reasoning behind the suggestion but I would finish the miles well beyond the scheduled servicing and then go for it.

BTW, all ye Optra Magnum Diesel lovers, I have got the delivery of my Sandrift Grey Beast last Saturday. Did over 230 kms in 3 days including a longish drive of 120 kms today. Will be posting my ownership report soon.

Thanks Keyur for all the help. And ofcourse Poitive for his Spacious Diesel thread and advice. Several others helped with their experiences and discussions. I am certainly a happy bloke. More details in the ownership thread soon.
Congrats on your new drive. Sand Drift Grey seems to be the best color for the Optra. Wishing you a million miles of happy and safe driving.

@Keyur : Would suggest you to give the car for servicing before the long trip. This being your first service, it is better to change the engine oil. It would be good for the heart of the car and such small things will add up life to it.

I would also recommend you to fill Nitrogen instead of air in your Magnum's shoes. I have all my cars running with N2 in its tyres. Some of the most important advantages are
- type pressure remains constant for 3 months.
- As N2 does not expand or contract the stress level on the tyre due to the change in pressure is nullified.
- No worries of overheating of tyre even when driven for long hours even in peak summer
- Longer tyre life
- No rusting of wheels from inside (due to absence of oxygen. Not a worry for alloys)
There are many more advantages, but the ones mentioned have been personally experienced by me.
MAS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2011, 10:37   #173
BANNED

Hey Keyur -

Don't even think twice, go for the servicing before the trip.

Once back, get it inspected to be on the safer side.

Enjoi your trip Mate.

Happy Motoring !!
Old 16th August 2011, 23:26   #174
BHPian

Have booked in a slot for servicing on Thursday.

As per my usual practice, I have already befriended a senior supervisor there and also the works manager. I believe in getting into a long term relationship

They have agreed to let me observe / oversee the entire process.

And some more good news for those who are worried about the maintenance costs - I have been quoted a maximum of Rs.2000 for the first service (including all consumables). Hope that's what it actually turns out to be!

Yippee!!
Old 18th August 2011, 10:20   #175
BHPian

Quote:
BTW, all ye Optra Magnum Diesel lovers, I have got the delivery of my Sandrift Grey Beast last Saturday.
Quote:
Congrats!

I took delivery of my Sandrift Grey LT yesterday evening. Will start a new thread on the ownership after a few days.

What fuel do you guys use? normal or premium? Thanks.
Old 18th August 2011, 12:20   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats NoRules!!
I bet, you'd be loving it.

Just noticed that it was moved to the Assembly line section,
Hey Poitive - So when are you making it public. Eagerly waiting for detailed ownership report and photos from you.
Old 18th August 2011, 13:02   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimist View Post
Congrats!

I took delivery of my Sandrift Grey LT yesterday evening. Will start a new thread on the ownership after a few days.

Congratulations optimist. Eagerly waiting for your thread. I am talking to the CASKA guys as Sundaram said changing Head Unit will void the warranty So trying to get the CASKA guys resolve it with GM. It seems GM has approved for CASKA in Cruze and Aveo, but not in Optra.
Old 18th August 2011, 13:13   #178
BHPian

Brought in the car for servicing. Am watching all the work in progress. As of now the A.S.S. has been wonderful.
Detailed report coming soon.
Old 18th August 2011, 13:17   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
Congratulations optimist. Eagerly waiting for your thread. I am talking to the CASKA guys as Sundaram said changing Head Unit will void the warranty So trying to get the CASKA guys resolve it with GM. It seems GM has approved for CASKA in Cruze and Aveo, but not in Optra.
Hey Thanks. It was a pleasure meeting you by chance in the showroom. Thread will take some time as i now have to attend to issues postponed in this purchase process at office. Also in this rain, i'm in no mood to take snaps.

Get yours soon and all the best.
Old 18th August 2011, 14:23   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimist View Post
Congrats!

Hey Optimist, congrats! Don't be too gentle with your car - she likes it hard . Basically, don't worry about the speeds - just ensure that you do not go above 3000 rpm on any gear for the first 500 kms and keep some variations in the acceleration!

I use normal diesel. Just ensure that you use pumps that have the narrower hose (they are supposed to have unleaded fuel).

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
Congratulations optimist. Eagerly waiting for your thread. I am talking to the CASKA guys as Sundaram said changing
Are you guys getting anything for the OEM Clarion unit? If not, you could try using the same for a few days and see exactly what you require as a change.

Most Viewed