Re: The Grey Torqedo - Optra Magnum - 5000km first service update

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyur View Post
Summary :

Total cost of parts : 1964.28
VAT: 245.53
Labour : 0.00
Total : Rs.2210

Total time taken 6 hours (10.17 AM to 04:18 PM)

After Sales and Service Experience : 10/10
Liked the summary. Precise and really helpful. Would have been great if you could have taken more snaps of the actual servicing as well.

Liked the overall writing as well - to the point without excess dramatics
Old 30th August 2011, 12:38   #212
BHPian

Re: The Grey Torqedo - My Chevy Optra Magnum 2.0 TCDI - Tyre Issue

Quote:

Apart from the scratch, things were perfect - that is till today!

As expected, the front left tyre was flat (completely flat, not slightly deflated). This meant that the puncture was pretty large, otherwise in tubeless radials, the tyre doesn't deflate totally all of a sudden.
Read an update about this in your 1st service post. Can you post more details about how it went with the exchange / replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnaturallywired View Post
Trident Chevrolet in Bangalore uses TOTAL QUARTZ
Please post some specs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
Awesome pics, Keyur !!

Bhai ek suggestion, Please Please get rid of that steering wheel cover, please do not feel offended but it was an eyesore.

PS: The ICD funda was the most hilarious stuff that I have come across on TBHP
Found the ICD interesting

Also looks like keyur did take the suggestion. The steering cover is no longer seen in the latest pics here!

Quote:
TorQueen

The dashboard and other interior parts were also polished.

Attachment 601657
Torqedo, TorQueen, Opty - I have seen many others naming their cars as well (Maggy, VVS, Scorpo..) You guys seem to be really into naming the cars

And looks like keyur picked the name of another member for his car (Three smiley limit reached)

Last edited by GTO : 1st September 2011 at 17:03. Reason: Removing extra smiley. Please read our rules
Old 30th August 2011, 13:01   #213
BHPian

Re: The Grey Torqedo - Optra Magnum - 5000km first service update

Quote:
Trident Chevrolet in Bangalore uses TOTAL QUARTZ
Hey DN, the Quartz is a 5W30, 5W40 or a 10W40. Which one are you talking about? The Magnum needs a 15W40. Are you sure about this? I am asking this because of the GM approved label on the cans.
The synthetics are used in the Cruze and the Captiva, so please confirm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueorchid View Post
Liked the summary. Precise and really helpful. Would have been great if you could have taken more snaps of the actual servicing as well.

Liked the overall writing as well - to the point without excess dramatics
Thanks ( excess dramatics, he he)
Old 30th August 2011, 13:51   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Also looks like keyur did take the suggestion. The steering cover is no longer seen in the latest pics here!
Yep. But I took it off for adding side horns (DIY coming soon). Also, am planning a custom leather cover (another DIY)

Quote:
Torqedo, TorQueen, Opty - I have seen many others naming their cars as well (Maggy, VVS, Scorpo..) You guys seem to be really into naming the cars
WHAAT! Don't tell me you don't name your cars!! It's a guy thing, or did you not know. Make sure you name yours too!

Also, the names of the cars you have mentioned happen to be Optras mostly - are you an owner or a prospective owner?

Quote:
And looks like keyur picked the name of another member for his car (Three smiley limit reached)
Torqedo (The guy's handle is Torquedo, difference of a 'U' )
Old 30th August 2011, 15:41   #215
BHPian

Quote:
WHAAT! Don't tell me you don't name your cars!! It's a guy thing, or did you not know. Make sure you name yours too!
You said it! It's a guy thing - I am not a guy
Naming cars, I will leave that to my husband!

Quote:
Also, the names of the cars you have mentioned happen to be Optras mostly - are you an owner or a prospective owner?
Actually, I was searching for issues with Optras. My husband wants an Optra, I am pushing for the Cruze.
Could you give me some points to discuss for the Cruze (against the Optra)
Old 30th August 2011, 15:59   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Woah - lady on board! Mind your language guys!!

Now I understand your earlier statement - you are forgiven

Quote:
Actually, I was searching for issues with Optras. My husband wants an Optra, I am pushing for the Cruze.
You are asking the wrong guy ahead. If you read through my first post on this thread, you will see that I was going to get the Cruze but got the Optra instead - I might actually end up helping your husband's cause here.
Old 30th August 2011, 17:05   #217
BANNED

re: The Grey Torqedo - My Chevy Optra Magnum 2.0 TCDI. 5k &10k KM Services (Pg 14 & 18)

blueorchid -

Let me provide my 2 cents in helping you decide which way to go.

1) Performance Aspect - Cruze has 327 Nm of torque @ 2600 RPM, the Optra delivers 314 Nm @ 2125, so looking at the performance aspect the difference is not huge. The BHP though, on the Cruze is 148 and on the Optra 120, this typically would matter the Top End speeds of the two cars. Your In City driving is basically factored in on the torque (the pulling of a car, while in motion) and let me admit, OPTRA is a Torque Monster.

2) The A$$ Cost - With the Cruze using the Synthetic Oil and other stuff, I can safely suggest, (a mere suggestion you might wanna take it or leave it) the A$$ cost of the Optra is going to cheaper than the Cruze.

3) Interior Space - Poitive has extensively mentioned this in his TD reports that the Interior space on the Optra is much better off.

4) Looks - Cruze wins hands down.

5) Financial Aspect - The most important part (money matters to me, might be the other way round for you), you would land up saving close to 4L OTR if you to compare the pricing on the Optra LS and Cruze LT (not the LTZ, the difference would be much more on the LTZ), please bear in mind that you don't get the Airbags and ABS on the Optra LS, might want to opt for the Optra LT if these be imp to you.

6) Resale - Before I discuss this aspect, let me admit, that I am not the one who believes in thinking about resale before the purchase (it's like deciding on the alimony before the wedding), coming to the point, the loss (differential amount at the time of resale) on the Cruze will be more than the Optra. Generally, expensive cars tend to lose more in the resale market.

Finally go for the Optra, enjoy for another 5 years and I'm sure at that point in time there will be loads of options coming your way (the 1 series, 2nd hand A4's & 3 Series).

To sum it all up, Optra at this point in time is the best VFM car that can be served on the platter.

Happy Motoring !!

Last edited by Torquedo : 30th August 2011 at 17:06.
Old 30th August 2011, 18:49   #218
BHPian

re: The Grey Torqedo - My Chevy Optra Magnum 2.0 TCDI. 5k &10k KM Services (Pg 14 & 18)

Quote:

I'm also of the opinion that the Optra is a better buy and a great overall package than the Cruze and much better than other cars in the segment.

It was a big initial shock with the problems on the new car but the a** guys responded in the most professional manner and got me back on road in 28 hours flat after the fault was identified. ( Getting the spare took 24 hours.) I'm really enjoying the Optra now.

Quote:
Name? That's my forum ID from when I did not even know the Oprta Magnum existed. (short version by which many call me. Even in real life many seniors/juniors in school and college still don't know my name)

A writeup is in progress. I'd like to give a complete impression of the 1st 1000 Km partly to offset the initial problems. It will be wrong if i post only negatives about it which are miniscule and possibly a one off to this specific vehicle. Hope to get some time and write about my ownership experience.
Old 31st August 2011, 01:04   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimist View Post
Name? That's my forum ID from when I did not even know the Oprta Magnum existed.
By Opty, I was talking about the name given by someone to their Optra (keyur if I am not mistaken), not your handle!
Old 31st August 2011, 03:14   #220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, the Torqedo (or the TorQueen as I have started calling her) has given me immensely enjoyable and exhilarating 5000 kms - and all these without any major issues. (The only problem I faced was the tyre damage issue posted earlier in this thread).
Only yesterday, was wondering where Keyur vanished and here we have you with a bang! Thanks for the detailed service report. The car is gleaming in the second bathing picture.

Seems they didn't even charge you for wheel balancing. Only the weights. It seems that even after the 'free' services, it would only cost about 3-4k/service, which tallies with what I was told before the purchase by a couple of owners. And man, people don't buy this one because this is supposed to be expensive to maintain!

What eventually happened about the tyre issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
To sum it all up, Optra at this point in time is the best VFM car that can be served on the platter.
After all the discussions, joint back to back test drives, Skoda discounts etc, it is wonderful to see you being as crystal clear, Torquedo! It really is a wonderful car. The more I drive it, the more I appreciate it.
Old 31st August 2011, 12:43   #221
BHPian

Trident Chevrolet uses this - Total Quartz 5000 15w40 Multigrade Diesel Engine
dnaturallywired is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2011, 16:10   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Trident Chevrolet uses this - Total Quartz 5000 15w40 Multigrade Diesel Engine
Hmm, OK. Total has acquired/merged with ELF, so I suppose that the oil is one and the same.
Thanks!
Old 31st August 2011, 16:28   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Only yesterday, was wondering where Keyur vanished and here we have you with a bang!
Loads of work - did not get enough time to compose and post it before!

Quote:
Seems they didn't even charge you for wheel balancing. Only the weights.
During the first service, they did not.
I got it re-serviced at 6750 km (after the trip). There were quite a few really really bad roads and I had started getting vibrations in the steering at high speeds.

The issue came down to unbalanced front wheels. They also re-greased all the callipers on the discs as I had found that there was some uneven heating of the front left rim. (Probably some debris near the pads or the pins). The total cost was Rs.450 for all 4 wheels - weights and balancing labour.

Quote:
What eventually happened about the tyre issue?
Apollo was initially insisting that the damage was due to external impact. Had a meeting with their engineers and asked them to prove the same to me. Initially they said it was impact - so when I asked them to explain to me the damage pattern analysis, they fumbled and changed their statement saying that it was due to a pinch. I asked them as to how this could have been a pinch when there were no previous punctures, all the wheels were correctly inflated etc.. In the end they did not have any answers and said that they will see what they can do in the name of 'goodwill'.
After about 15 days, I was offered a new tyre at 50% cost - I insisted on a free tyre, but it started getting delayed and my 1400 km drive was coming up, so I settled for the same.
Gave the tyre to a local retailer who raised a complaint docket with them and got the replacement in 7 days. The tyre turned out to have the manuf. details as 3810 (38th week of 2010). Asked for a replacement again, but they said that only the car manufacturers get fresh tyres as they order in bulk - the retailers get whatever was available in stock. Had no more mood to argue so just let it go, paid Rs.2100 and took the tyre.
Old 31st August 2011, 16:37   #224
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the reply. The Accleres are quite soft. Don't seem the kind one would feel too assured while taking on those totally broken roads.

While we are at balancing, should share this about alignment. While researching an Optra owner told me that being an AWIS, the alignment needs to be done slightly differently and many chaps who do it aren't competent enough. Given your travel on rough roads, you may want to get it checked if there and get it done with care.
Old 31st August 2011, 16:58   #225
BHPian

Quote:
it started getting delayed and my 1400 km drive was coming up, so I settled for the same.
Had no more mood to argue so just let it go, paid Rs.2100 and took the tyre.
Its time to change the shoes, Senor !!

Choices in order of preferences:

1. Yoko Advan sport / Advan S4

2. Michelin Pilot Preceda / sport

3. BF goodrich (more info on touring tyres on their website)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks