Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2011, 11:44   #271
BANNED

Re: The Grey Torqedo - My Chevy Optra Magnum 2.0 TCDI EDIT: 5000KM Service Update (Pg

All Fellow Optra Owners -

After a year that I have been chasing on this, it is now officially confirmed that the BS 4 Optra has the following changes -

Old Figures

Power (PS) - 120.5 @ 3000
Torque (Nm)- 314 @ 2125

New Figures

Power (PS) - 125.5 @ 3800
Torque (Nm)- 305 @ 2000

A few Pointers from this information:

1) The torque has been reduced. The beast does not pull the way BS 3 one used to, I could feel the difference from the TD vehicle to the one I own.

2) The horses set in too late in comparo to the old one 800 ticks beyond the 3K mark is HUGE for a diesel vehicle.

It still remains a BEAST but a bit tamed now.

PS - The owners manual have not been updated, no clue what GM is doing on this one.

Source: Optra Magnum Diesel Specifications, Chevrolet Optra Magnum Diesel Technical Specifications

Makes me feel sad at the end of the day.
Torquedo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2011, 23:12   #272
BHPian

Re: The Grey Torqedo - My Chevy Optra Magnum 2.0 TCDI EDIT: 5000KM Service Update (Pg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post

1) The torque has been reduced. The beast does not pull the way BS 3 one used to, I could feel the difference from the TD vehicle to the one I own.

2) The horses set in too late in comparo to the old one 800 ticks beyond the 3K mark is HUGE for a diesel vehicle.

Makes me feel sad at the end of the day.
I think the RaceChip should solve the issue for you!

As for the 125ps at 3800, you will feel it on the highway, especially in the 4th gear, and if you continue, on the 5th gear as well (you should be easily able to hit 200 kph)

Don't feel sad - check if you can get the service station to give you a remap - in all probability, they will have the old setup!
Old 16th November 2011, 23:37   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyur View Post
Don't feel sad - check if you can get the service station to give you a remap - in all probability, they will have the old setup!
Are you sure no mechanical changes were done to make the magnum BS4 compatible? I'm sure GM would have definitely made additions on to the Catalytic converter of the BS3 engine. But if they haven't then the BS3 remap can be installed.
Old 17th November 2011, 08:22   #274
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyur
I think the RaceChip should solve the issue for you!

As for the 125ps at 3800, you will feel it on the highway, especially in the 4th gear, and if you continue, on the 5th gear as well (you should be easily able to hit 200 kph)

Thanks for the inputs, Keyur.

As for the race chip, personally I would not think about it before the 2 yr warranty gets void (50K would be hard to achieve).

Remap and stuff at the SS, a BIG NO, these guys to me are good for all the small mechanical bits, like, engine oil change, oil filter etc.

How is the DIY on the Race chip coming along at your end?

Anyways, whenever I decide on the race chip or the remap, I would surely take your help on the same.

Happy Motoring !!
Old 17th November 2011, 13:18   #275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford5 View Post
Are you sure no mechanical changes were done to make the magnum BS4 compatible? I'm sure GM would have definitely made additions on to the Catalytic converter of the BS3 engine. But if they haven't then the BS3 remap can be installed.
A remap will resolve the issue. There are no mechanical changes for the power or torque. Catcon changes (even if any have been done) will not be the factor that reduced the torque.
Old 17th November 2011, 19:11   #276
BHPian

Post Service Update

As stated earlier, my car was having some creaking noise issues and a tik-tik sound coming from the steering pump. The service station had committed on replacing the pump, but it was not done during the second service as the pump had not come in by then.

I got a call yesterday saying that the pump had arrived, so I promptly gave my car for servicing. I got my car today in the afternoon.

The following was done :

1. Steering fluid pump replacement (price of pump : Rs. 9530 without taxes)
2. Creaking noise resolution

The pump noise issue has been definitely resolved.
The creaking noise near the underbody seems to have been resolved, although it has a habit of coming back!

Total cost : 0 (The entire thing was covered under warranty - otherwise it would have been Rs.10430)

Here is a pic of the bill (sorry for the poor quality - but the print was light in the first place)

The Grey Torquedo - My Optra Magnum - The Next Level!-20111117-18.50.46.jpg

The vehicle is now smooth as ever, and no noises!!

Last edited by keyur : 17th November 2011 at 19:13.
keyur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2012, 15:30   #277
BHPian

Re: The Grey Torqedo - My Chevy Optra Magnum 2.0 TCDI. 5k &10k KM Services (Pg 14 & 1

Hey Keyur,

Congratulations on owning this beast. What a wonderful & informative thread we have here. Took me 2 days to go through the entire thread. Fell more in love with the Magnum after this. Test drove it a few days back, and I just can't concentrate on anything else. Hell bent on getting it home asap. Will keep you troubled if need any info on this.

Cheers.
Old 14th January 2012, 21:14   #278
BHPian

Quote:
A few Pointers from this information:

It still remains a BEAST but a bit tamed now.
Thank you for the clarification Torquedo...I had this nagging thought at the back of my mind driving my new LS like "Where is the warp effect, dude?"
I had TD two 2007 LTs earlier and felt something was amiss in my new car. Now I know why...
Old 14th January 2012, 21:41   #279
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetan_l View Post
Thank you for the clarification Torquedo...I had this nagging thought at the back of my mind driving my new LS like "Where is the warp effect, dude?"
I had TD two 2007 LTs earlier and felt something was amiss in my new car. Now I know why...
Yes Indeed, Chetan, the fun factor has been reduced, have no clue what made the Chevy guys do it.

The lag has reduced at the same time, but as I said the pull post 2K is not even close to the one in the BS 3 cars.
Old 15th January 2012, 00:40   #280
BHPian

Quote:
Yes Indeed, Chetan, the fun factor has been reduced, have no clue what made the Chevy guys do it.

The lag has reduced at the same time, but as I said the pull post 2K is not even close to the one in the BS 3 cars.
Thanks for confirming that the lag has reduced. This was my only reservation about Optra when I was researching to buy a new car (didn't buy any, for unrelated reasons).

But how much of a difference going from 314 to 305 Nm of torque can make? Is it really that noticeable? I find it hard to believe that anyone would be able to notice such a tiny drop (about 2.5%) in torque.
Old 15th January 2012, 10:15   #281
BHPian

Re: The Grey Torqedo - My Chevy Optra Magnum 2.0 TCDI. 5k &10k KM Services (Pg 14 & 1

@bansal98: The difference is not just the torque, but also that the torque kicks in later. If you are looking at the tacho and expecting the surge @ 2k+, you will realize it is not happening yet...
Also, the peak power output kicks in at 3800 rpm than the earlier mark of 3000 rpm.

This is why you will find a noticeable difference between BS3 & BS4 cars
chetan_l is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2012, 15:23   #282
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetan_l View Post
@bansal98: The difference is not just the torque, but also that the torque kicks in later. If you are looking at the tacho and expecting the surge @ 2k+, you will realize it is not happening yet...
Also, the peak power output kicks in at 3800 rpm than the earlier mark of 3000 rpm.

This is why you will find a noticeable difference between BS3 & BS4 cars
Pardon me on correcting you there, Chetan, the peak torque now kicks in earlier @ 2K, earlier it was 2125.

Now what Chevy has done is, making the torque spread more even and that takes the pleasure out of the Optra.

If you wanna enjoy the kick, bring it very sedatly at 2K and then bury the pedal.

I was one of those who never felt the need of an RD box, now I have started thinking about it and probably would land up buying it close to the 10K mark.
Old 17th January 2012, 15:43   #283
BHPian

Ah, and I was trying to sound intelligent...

Thanks for the clarification. Learnt something new
Old 20th January 2012, 20:26   #284
BHPian

My late congratulations for owning this wonderful motor, Keyur.

My close friend cum work colleague owns a Chevy-UVA and wanted to upgrade. We went for a test drive of Vento as well as City. He was inclined towards the exhilarating experience from the Vento rather than the City.

Meantime, his cousin called up and they end up talking about Optra Magnum, by chance. From last what I have heard, three guys are planning to make a group booking of 3 Magnums. Wow!!

I am waiting for the car to arrive at our office so that I can also do a test drive. Your post has been quite helpful for our analysis. Thank you Keyur.

Do you have any advice for a prospective Optra buyer? Any matter including discounts to seek from Chevrolet to tyre or headlight upgrades, will all be appreciated.

Last edited by B103 : 20th January 2012 at 20:39.
Old 22nd January 2012, 16:18   #285
BHPian

Dear Keyur and other TBHPians,
After going through your posts i am also planning to buy Optra Diesel.
I was contemplating on used fusion, new etios, new skoda rapid etc..But finally again i am back to Optra.
Optra diesel 2012 price is reduced below 11 lacks on the road for LT model in Bangalore. It would be 10.8 L i believe

I am selling my used Innova and Palio 1.9D ( thought its tough to make such decision) in orde to buy the optra and plannign to keep it for next 5 years.

Do you have any advices or pointers on buying process ?
I have trident jayanagar or kropex housr road as dealers in B'lore.

Thanks in advance
Regards

Last edited by Tornado : 22nd January 2012 at 16:23. Reason: want to add new point on price cut

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks